2007 draft plan.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
I know there are some of you out there that know what draft will have better talent at QB in either the 06 or 07 draft. We need to draft a franchise QB in here in one of those drafts to learn behind Bledsoe for a year and then take over.

My hope is the 07 draft is the one that will have alot better QB talent in it. Here is why. If this is so then what we could do is go into the 2006 draft looking to trade out of the 1st round and get a extra 1st rounder for the 2007 draft. The only way we would not trade the 2006 1st round pick would be if a huge impact player was there that we really need.

If that player is not there in the 06 draft trade out and have 2 1st rounder for 2007. Now if there is a real freak at QB in the 2007 draft then we have 2 1st rounders to trade up with and I know we would have to give up more then that but it would be a idea that could get us ready to make a big move for a REAL QB to be our future.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I think the last thing I am worried about is the 2007 draft...hell I'm not even thinking about the 2006 draft right now

I'm just excited for 2005...

David

Eddie

Reaction score
Just say NO to trading two first rounders for a QB. Man, that's just setting ourselves up for failure. If he blows, that's TWO hits we take.

Drafting a QB isn't science, and when we put all our eggs in one pot, we'll be recovering for the next 10 years.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Just say NO to trading two first rounders for a QB. Man, that's just setting ourselves up for failure. If he blows, that's TWO hits we take.

Drafting a QB isn't science, and when we put all our eggs in one pot, we'll be recovering for the next 10 years.

We've been there and done that too... I'm sick and tired of mediocrity... That would be like rehiring Dave Crampo after Bill Parcells retires... Any more dude ranches or Sea World field trips... YEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!!! :bang2:

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie said:

I couldn't agree more.

I am more of a proponent of trading for a current, excellent QB in the NFL as opposed to drafting one. Drafting one is just too much guesswork that more often than not seems to fail.

Matt Leinart will be a bust and so will the team that chooses him, IMO. (just to name one)

dstew60105

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I think the last thing I am worried about is the 2007 draft...hell I'm not even thinking about the 2006 draft right now

David

I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!

parchy

Reaction score
I'm *sort of* thinking ahead to the '06 draft, but the only thing on my mind are wide receivers... there are going to be some real good ones this year

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Eddie said:

Yup. We'd actually be hurting ourselves in two drafts... '06 and '07. If the QB panned out then it'd be worth it, but that happens so seldom these days that it has to be viewed as a crapshoot. And betting two drafts on it wouldn't be to smart, IMO.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I want Vince Young in the first OR the qb from UAB. Darrell Hackney

Chuck 54

Reaction score
WE're at a point now where I do not want to trade any #1 picks for the next couple of years...we're getting close, and we need to use those picks.

While I'd love to draft a QB in round 1, I don't see us getting another shot at a guy like Byron Leftwich because hopefully we'll be further down in the order. If we're going to secure a 2nd tier QB talent who might be a good one for us down the road, then I'd just as soon do it in round 2.

Next year, we need to draft a #1 WR.

Of course, there's always the FA route for either position.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
WE're at a point now where I do not want to trade any #1 picks for the next couple of years...we're getting close, and we need to use those picks.

While I'd love to draft a QB in round 1, I don't see us getting another shot at a guy like Byron Leftwich because hopefully we'll be further down in the order. If we're going to secure a 2nd tier QB talent who might be a good one for us down the road, then I'd just as soon do it in round 2.

Next year, we need to draft a #1 WR.

Of course, there's always the FA route for either position.

"a word from the wise should be sufficient" I have forgotten who said that. :)

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Muhast said:

Im already getting sick of the Young hype.

And I went to UT so dont say its just bashing.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Let's wait and see if Vince Young upgrades his passing game this season.....

parchy

Reaction score
Muhast said:

Vince Young won't be a QB in the NFL if his arm stays the way it is. He's 10 times worse a passer than Vick, and he's slower.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

I love when all i have to do is quote somebody and my oppinion is already stated.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Sooner or later we are gonna have to make some kind of move for a real QB to take over once Bledsoe is done. Henson or Romo don't have what it takes to be winners in the NFL.

Some of you say it is to much of a risk to draft a QB. I completely disagree. You have to take a chance. If we take a chance maybe we get the next Manning or Favre or Culpepper or some QB like that. We could get a bust to. But we seriously have to look at drafting a franchise QB for this teams future.

Bledsoe is a good QB for our future QB to learn behind and get ready. What is our team had this tude of it being to much of a risk when we were getting ready to draft Aikman.

No matter who you draft it is always a risk. Not just QBs. Every player you draft is a risk of being a bust.

What if we make the big move up and we get a great QB who leads us to some more Super Bowl wins and becomes our 3rd QB to go into the HOF.

The chances of us getting a good franchise QB of the future are just as good as him being a bust.

Nuff of these baseball rejects and projects. We are never gonna get anything real at QB like this.

Also how many times does a great QB become available in FA. Not much. Most teams when they have one will not let them go. So like it or not if we want our next great QB of the future we will have to do it with some big moves in the draft.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
It all depends on what the future consists of. I agree with you that we will need to find a long term QB solution in the near future. I disagree with you because between Henson and Romo, there is one half of starting experience there. Lets at least let them have some snaps in the pre season before we write them off completely.

Also, let's see what Bledsoe can still do. If he still can play for 3 years, that makes our QB search a little bit easier, since we can groom one(if we dont have one on the roster as of right now). If DB can still play at a high level, we don't have to rush and draft a QB as a reach, or be forced to throw someone inexperienced out there

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
It all depends on what the future consists of. I agree with you that we will need to find a long term QB solution in the near future. I disagree with you because between Henson and Romo, there is one half of starting experience there. Lets at least let them have some snaps in the pre season before we write them off completely.

Also, let's see what Bledsoe can still do. If he still can play for 3 years, that makes our QB search a little bit easier, since we can groom one(if we dont have one on the roster as of right now). If DB can still play at a high level, we don't have to rush and draft a QB as a reach, or be forced to throw someone inexperienced out there

IMO I think Bledsoe does have 3 years in him. That is why I hope we can make the big move up for a franchise QB in the 2007 draft. That way he can learn behind Bledsoe for a year.

parchy

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
IMO I think Bledsoe does have 3 years in him.

That's a pretty bold statement. I'm going to wait and see how he does this year, but I predict he's done after next season, at the very latest.