2008 CBZ Recipe Thread

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen boys and girls as the football season begins it's time to pull out those recipe books and share your favorites with your brothers and sisters.

I'll start with one of my favorites from...

http://i177.***BLOCKED***/albums/w236/starkist_2007/logo-printfrontera.gif

Roasted-Tomato Serrano Sauce

Salsa de Jitomate

Makes about 3 cups
Recipe from Season 6 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time

Ingredients

One 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes in juice
1 ½ tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 fresh serrano chiles, finely chopped
About 1 cup chicken broth
Salt

Directions

Pour the tomatoes and their juice into to a blender and pulse to a very coarse puree. Heat the oil in a medium (3-quart) saucepan over medium. Add the garlic and chile and cook, stirring until the garlic softens and begins to brown, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes to the saucepan, and cook, stirring nearly constantly, until the mixture has reduced to the consistency of tomato paste, about 7 minutes. Add the broth and simmer over medium-low until the sauce is the consistency of cream soup, 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt, usually a generous ½ teaspoon.

---------------

P.S. sorry, but I lost my pea salad recipe during the Hurricane do to flooding, so you'll have to PM CBZ40.

;)

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Pretty sure the health department has put a band on the pea salad...:laugh2:

zeromaster

Reaction score
industrial strength margarita

1 part (your favorite) tequila
1 part Mr/Mrs T's tequila mix
ice cubes to taste

Purists will object that a mix has been substituted for the essential ingredients, but after a couple of these, they won't care anyway...
:lmao:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Bologna Sammich

Take two slices of bread
Apply mustad to each slice
Place bologna on one slice (your choice)
Add slice of cheese
Fold the slices together

Enjoy

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
justbob;2200804 said:
Pretty sure the health department has put a band on the pea salad...:laugh2:
But it is good for degreasing machined parts. It works better then trichloroethylene.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2200830 said:
Bologna Sammich

Take two slices of bread
Add slice of cheese
Fold the slices together

Enjoy
Ah, just like momma use to make. :)

boba5555

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little 'stitious
Reaction score
Chicken Gumbo Pot Pie

This is a great one for me because the "gumbo" part reminds me of being back around Southeast Texas.

INGREDIENTS
2-4 slice(s) bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (my wife makes me use turkey bacon for health purposes and it still tastes good. I usually put 3 pieces in.)
1 pound(s) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 teaspoon(s) salt
3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1 cup(s) chicken broth
4 medium stalks celery, sliced ** optional - I hate celery
1 (1-pound) jumbo onion, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon(s) Cajun seasoning
1 bag(s) (16-ounce) frozen sliced okra **optional - tastes fine w/o
1 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) stewed tomatoes
1 package(s) (17.4-ounce) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed (fancy words for pie crust)
DIRECTIONS

1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon on medium 6 to 8 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle chicken all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt. With bacon fat in skillet, cook chicken 6 to 8 minutes or until no longer pink inside. With tongs, transfer chicken to medium bowl.

2. In same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook about 7 minutes or until deep golden-brown, stirring constantly. Gradually add in chicken broth, stirring with whisk to prevent lumps; heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring. Remove skillet from heat.

3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add celery, onion, and pepper, and cook about 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in Cajun seasoning; cook 30 seconds. Add chicken-broth mixture, frozen okra, stewed tomatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling on high. Stir in chicken chunks and bacon; reduce heat to medium and cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Place 1 pie crust on the bottom of a pie pan. Fill with gumbo and cover with the second pie crust pinching pastry corners together & cutting six 1-inch slits in pastry to allow steam to escape during baking.

5. Bake the pot pie 35 minutes or until pastry is golden-brown and puffed. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. **This is important again as it can be slightly runny if you don't let it sit. You can freeze them and they still taste good reheated! MMM- enjoy!!

TIPS & TECHNIQUES

To reheat after thawing 24 hours:

Conventional oven: Heat, loosely covered, at 400 degrees F 30 minutes; uncover and bake 40 minutes longer or until crust is golden-brown.

Microwave oven: Not recommended — crust must bake in conventional oven.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2200830 said:
Bologna Sammich

Take two slices of bread
Add slice of cheese
Fold the slices together

Enjoy

You forgot to fry the bologn:D a

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
adbutcher;2200839 said:
But it is good for degreasing machined parts. It works better then trichloroethylene.

never tryed it for that --did hear that if you blended it it made a great paint stripper

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
zeromaster;2200822 said:
industrial strength margarita

1 part (your favorite) tequila
1 part Mr/Mrs T's tequila mix
ice cubes to taste

Purists will object that a mix has been substituted for the essential ingredients, but after a couple of these, they won't care anyway...
:lmao:

Wow, a 50/50 tequila to mix rita. You aren't kidding about not caring later.

A pre-mix is ok for a cheap easy margarita, just never try that with a Bloody Mary/Maria.

1 1/2 oz Absolut or Patron
Salt, Pepper
Worchestershire Sauce
Tobasco (lots, i like it spicy)
Lemon (not lime, lots of people use lime, this is a mistake)
Tomato Juice
Garnish with Jalepeno Stuffed Olives

Occasionally, I like to mix a little horseradish in for fun

Shake vigorously to mix. Having it completely mixed is key.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2200969 said:
We don't want to make it to hard for Sarge to follow :laugh2:

Forgot about that -how would you explain that it has to be fried on both sides ---Sorry Sarge -forgot your name was now in Red :lmao:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
justbob;2200976 said:
Forgot about that -how would you explain that it has to be fried on both sides ---Sorry Sarge -forgot your name was now in Red :lmao:

Maybe Sarge could call that Aida chick on the Food Network and she could show him how to do it. :laugh2: