2008 Cowboy=2007 Chargers

Temo

Reaction score
An interesting blurb from Mike Tanier over at FO (who incidentally is an Eagles fan). I think it offers some good third-party perspective on the season. Only the cowboys blurb seen here, though I highly reccommend you read the entire article, he's a very good writer and knowledgeable about football.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/walkthrough-no-style-points#comment-680066
Let's remove Pacman, T.O., and the emotional stuff from the equation for a second. A sober analysis of the Cowboys finds that they have:
  • DeMarcus Ware, probably the best pass rusher in the NFL, if not the best all-around defender.
  • Jason Witten, the best tight end in the conference.
  • Roy Williams, a hastily-acquired big name receiver whose reputation is slightly bigger than his career performance.
  • An offense laden with skill position talent and a 3-4 defense that generates tons of sacks.
  • A que sera sera head coach who answers to a high-profile executive.
Do you recognize them yet? The Cowboys are the 2007 Chargers! Like those Chargers, the Cowboys are suffering through an early-season confidence crisis. The Chargers spent the first half of last season questioning their coaches and one another after a series of baffling losses. But the Chargers pulled themselves together, won eight straight games, and ended up playing for the AFC title.
The Cowboys, like the Chargers, are too good to keep losing the way they have. Injuries and suspensions have depleted the Cowboys secondary, but their front seven is strong enough to keep most quarterbacks from picking them apart. Once Tony Romo returns, their offense will click again. They aren't as good as their preseason and September press. They may be closer to the .500-level team predicted by Pro Football Prospectus. They will have trouble beating good opponents like the Giants and Steelers in the second half of their schedule. But the Cowboys are still good enough to keep their nose in the playoff picture. They will play out their schedule as a high variance team, capable of beating the best and losing to the worst.
If Romo was healthy, the Cowboys would beat the Buccaneers. The Buccaneers are a very good team, but they have no receiving corps. The Cowboys' weakness is their secondary, and the way to beat them is to attack down the field. The Bucs cannot play that type of football. Luckily for Jon Gruden and friends, Romo is doubtful. The Bucs will put enough heat on Brad Johnson to turn this game into an attrition war, the kind the Bucs know how to win.
I'll omit the "T.O. Goes Bonkers" caveat, because you know all about that. Take the Bucs to win, but be prepared for the Cowboys to enjoy a Chargers-like second life this season.

Boysboy

Reaction score
The Chargers also had some drama and in-players fighting as well. Remember when LT went after Rivers on the sidelines in wk3? Or how about later in the season against the Titans when Rivers went to sit on the bench, and LT just angrily got up and walked away?(although when they won at the end, all was supposedly good)

Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm.................funny how 2/3 of Zoners here said how TO derailed us completely against the Rams for getting in Gurode's face after that bad snap.

Anyhow-just wanted to point out that the Chargers too had some drama going on, only to subsequently turn it up at the end.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Man if we turned this around, had a run like they did, and at least made the AFC title game (Which I believe that they could have won with a healthy LT and healthy Rivers) that would make me smile ear to ear.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
These comparisons grow old.

The 2008 Cowboys are the 2008 Cowboys, just let it be.

Boysboy

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2368437 said:
These comparisons grow old.

The 2008 Cowboys are the 2008 Cowboys, just let it be.

theebbs posted an article on the '98 Chiefs(the same squad that choked away the AFCDG when they had the #1 seed the prior year).

There were just so many similarities b/w our squad and their's-big player acquisitions(via FA/draft), hyped by the media as the most talented team(i.e. there were even 16-0 rumblings), fast as expected start...only for Marty to lose control of this team slowly but surely(and they also had similar injuries like we did-QB, Guard, etc).

yentl911

Reaction score
we are not the 07 chargers - you are correct. to compare the two teams is rediculous.