2010 NFL Mock Draft: Will the Cowboys Draft Jared Odrick with their First Pick?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The Realist;3274548 said:
The great thing about Wade is he gets players doing what they do best.

If they are strictly run stoppers that's what he has them do.

If they can do more he adjusts his scheme to fit what they do.

He has had 3-4 DE's who can rush the passer at most if not all of his other stops.

Odrick can get after the passer.

I'm a Spears fan, but it might not make financial sense to keep him and Rat.

Yes, well Odrick can get after the passer to the detriment of whom? With Spencer coming on like a storm and Ware already a natural disaster, if you've got the DE next to him ditching blockers to get after the passer, who is playing the run and taking on those blockers the DE just avoided?

I think you'll find that in most teams where the OLB's are able pass rushers, the DE's tend to do the brunt of the dirty work to make up for it. So unless you're willing to tone down Spencer and Ware as pass rushers, the DE will be expected to stay home and do some heavy lifting.

The Realist

Reaction score
TheCount;3274551 said:
Yes, well Odrick can get after the passer to the detriment of whom? With Spencer coming on like a storm and Ware already a natural disaster, if you've got the DE next to him ditching blockers to get after the passer, who is playing the run and taking on those blockers the DE just avoided?

I think you'll find that in most teams where the OLB's are able pass rushers, the DE's tend to do the brunt of the dirty work to make up for it. So unless you're willing to tone down Spencer and Ware as pass rushers, the DE will be expected to stay home and do some heavy lifting.

All coaches/schemes aim to stop the run first.

I think you are seriously overthinking things.

In your world we should be theoretically getting gashed in the run game because Rat is a good pass rusher.

Engage blockers, fill gaps until you know it's not a run.....then you become a passrusher and get after the QB.

Some guys can get off blocks when transitioning from run to pass (Rat). Run stuffers like Spears and Olshansky can.

I think if you ask most GM's and D coaches around the league they would love to have a 300 pounder who can stop the run and get after the QB.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
TheCount;3274214 said:
I still dont think we need a DE in the first round. And I don't see how he fits our scheme if he's a rusher. All we ask our DE's to do is stand up against the run and take on double teams to free our playmakers. You don't need to spend a 1st rounder to find a guy that can do that.

If he's hands down the BPA would you consider trading down? I'd be real tempted to myself..