2011 Cowboys vs 2007 Cowboys vs 2009 Cowboys

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Which team do you think was the best of those three teams?

2007, we went 13-3 and were the top seed in the NFC, we lost in the divisional round of the playoffs. We beat the super bowl champion Giants twice in the regular season, and fell short in the playoffs by 4 points.

2009, we won the division going 11-5, beat philly in the wild card round, but lost to the vikings in the divisional round. We beat the super bowl champion Saints, ending their undefeated season.

2011: Currently 7-4, on top of the NFC East, favored to win the division, Detroit and Chicago have taken set backs due to injury, we already beat San Fransisco. Only two other teams are ahead of us in the NFC.

We are 9th in passing yards, 12th in rushing yards, 14th in pass defense (yards), 9th in rush defense (yards).

Note: I think the Giants are a tad bit overrated. They became the favorite in the division by default, simply because people didn't want to give it to Dallas.

5th in passing yards, 31st in rushing yards, 18th in pass defense (yards), 21st in rush defense (yards)

Despite playing 1 more game than they have we have allowed less total points while scoring A GREAT deal more points than they have. We've played ESSENTIALLY the same schedule so far.

Differences? They played Arizona, while we have played Washington twice (they lost to them), and Detroit.

Fact is them having to play us twice is a bigger disadvantage to them than it is to us. Not necessarily schedule wise, but strength of schedule wise. And that SHOULD be more evident when we play them, and we're likely to be 8-4 and they are likely to be 6-6.

We have played 5 teams who average more points per game on offense than the Giants. We have played 8 teams who average less points per game on defense than the Giants.

We could go 12-4, 11-5 or even 10-6, I think we would be a better team than those 2007 and 2009 teams.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
It's pretty sad that our 2 recent "good" teams worth comparing this team to have a whopping 1 playoff win between the 2 of them.:mad:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Murray, Fiammetta & Garrett could be the difference in being better than those 2 years. We don't know yet, the year could change just like that for the worse or for the better.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Clove;4271100 said:
Murray, Fiammetta & Garrett could be the difference in being better than those 2 years. We don't know yet, the year could change just like that for the worse or for the better.

It is time to move on. Fiammetta is almost certainly done. He is lying about his concussion because he knows it means the end of his football career.

The docs have to step in and tell him no. We have to move because of liability issues should we put him back on the field and he sustains a larger head injury. You just can't play fullback in the NFL if you are prone to concussions.

We need to go out and find ourselves the best pure run blocking FB we can find. It may be Chapas or Gronkowski or a vet sitting at home right now.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
2007. And I really don't think it's that close. That was a really good football team that was one dropped catch/one wrong Ware offsides call from hosting the NFC Championship.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
IheartRomo;4271122 said:
2007. And I really don't think it's that close. That was a really good football team that was one dropped catch/one wrong Ware offsides call from hosting the NFC Championship.

This.

That 2007 team was unreal good. Giants called us the best team they played all season.

I'm not saying we would have beaten NE, no one knows. But we definately could have played with that that year. We did in week 5 of that year with Nate Jones manning up on the outside. Plus NE had cooled off a ton since the early part of the season when they dropped 50 at will.

That 2007 team is hands down my favorite REGULAR season team in all of my 24 years as a fan. We didn't get it done in the end, but that season was so fun to watch.

Eskimo

Reaction score
The 2007 team was the best because it had a very good pass rush and the OL play was very good that year.

If we had a more seasoned Romo, one more league average CB and a healthy TO I think we would have beat the Giants and the Pats. If we only just had a healthy TO we beat the Giants and Packers but lose to the Pats in the SB.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The 2007 team was the best talent wise but suffered from Wade Phillips syndrome and the poor hands of Patrick Crayton.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;4271129 said:
This.

That 2007 team was unreal good. Giants called us the best team they played all season.

I'm not saying we would have beaten NE, no one knows. But we definately could have played with that that year. We did in week 5 of that year with Nate Jones manning up on the outside. Plus NE had cooled off a ton since the early part of the season when they dropped 50 at will.

That 2007 team is hands down my favorite REGULAR season team in all of my 24 years as a fan. We didn't get it done in the end, but that season was so fun to watch.

I say this on a regular basis too. What a fun year that was. Waking up on the morning of that playoff game, I didn't even consider at all that the season could end that night. It all just crumbled so fast. That's the only game I've never gotten over.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Yup, 2007 easily. That year it felt like no team in the league was clearly better than the Cowboys. That's not at all the case this year.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
IheartRomo;4271141 said:
I say this on a regular basis too. What a fun year that was. Waking up on the morning of that playoff game, I didn't even consider at all that the season could end that night. It all just crumbled so fast. That's the only game I've never gotten over.

Hell, I didn't think we'd lose to Minnesota in 2010 either.

But that 2007 team was a lock for the Super Bowl in my eyes.

However, I remember creating a thread here entitled "You can slice it however you want" around the end of the season. Pretty much pointing out how they were getting stale and losing "it" factor. I was shot down immediately as a hater, etc.

Maybe, hopefully, possibly that is Green Bay this year. Although this year's Green Bay looks like a top ten, possibly top five team of all time.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Fan;4271145 said:
The 2007 Cowboys are one of the greatest non championship teams in sports history.

That may be a stretch. I wouldn't even put them in my top ten, maybe not even top 15.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The 2007 team was the best talent wise but suffered from Wade Phillips syndrome and the poor hands of Patrick Crayton.
How can you possibly justify saying that? Other than wanting to blame Wade for everything. :rolleyes:

I still want to know why that 2007 team would be considered more talented than this one.

Sean Lee
Dez Bryant
Laurent Robinson
Demarco Murray
Tyron Smith

None of those teams, 2007 or 2009, had these guys. They replace guys like Akin Ayodele, Patrick Crayton, Marion Barber, and Marc Colombo. People forget that Jacques Reeves had to start that 2007 year at corner.

Sure, some guys like Newman are older and not quite as good. We're also worse at center. Miles isn't as good as TO, but Miles + Dez is surely better than TO + Crayton. There are several lateral moves, like Hamlin for Elam, Flo for Free, etc.

But on the whole it sure looks to me like as a whole this team is more talented.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;4271149 said:
Hell, I didn't think we'd lose to Minnesota in 2010 either.

But that 2007 team was a lock for the Super Bowl in my eyes.

However, I remember creating a thread here entitled "You can slice it however you want" around the end of the season. Pretty much pointing out how they were getting stale and losing "it" factor. I was shot down immediately as a hater, etc.

Maybe, hopefully, possibly that is Green Bay this year. Although this year's Green Bay looks like a top ten, possibly top five team of all time.

I agree. It seems like whenever we're good, it's in a year that there's an almost unbeatable team.

I don't think we can beat Green Bay, but I'd rather have a shot at them.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The big difference between Green Bay and Dallas has been how productive and consistent their receivers have been.

You get Austin, Bryant, and Robinson, you have them not dropping balls, and you have Romo playing the way he is, and you throw in Jason Witten and a running game that is better than the Packer's, and you I think you have a different dynamic going on.

From a health stand point, the Packers have been much healthier than us, at least on offense.

Austin's return is going to be such a spark it will make his 2009 emergence look like a bic lighter.

Robinson + Austin + Bryant + Witten + Murray expands the field.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Fan;4271145 said:
The 2007 Cowboys are one of the greatest non championship teams in sports history.

Heck, they weren't even the greatest non championship team in the NFL that season... the Patriots were.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4271162 said:
The big difference between Green Bay and Dallas has been how productive and consistent their receivers have been.

You get Austin, Bryant, and Robinson, you have them not dropping balls, and you have Romo playing the way he is, and you throw in Jason Witten and a running game that is better than the Packer's, and you I think you have a different dynamic going on.

I think you can make a reasonable argument that minus the QB, the Packers and the Cowboys offenses have a similar level of talent. They have an advantage at WR, we have an advantage at RB, it's a push a OL.

The difference is that Romo is playing a Pro-Bowl level this year and Aaron Rogers is playing like Zeus sitting on Mt Olympus as it relates to QB play.

In otherwords, Romo is playing great, however, Rogers is playing at a semi-deity level.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
perrykemp;4271173 said:
I think you can make a reasonable argument that minus the QB, the Packers and the Cowboys offenses have a similar level of talent. They have an advantage at WR, we have an advantage at RB, it's a push a OL.

The difference is that Romo is playing a Pro-Bowl level this year and Aaron Rogers is playing like Zeus sitting on Mt Olympus as it relates to QB play.

In otherwords, Romo is playing great, however, Rogers is playing at a semi-deity level.

Two factors that you are ignoring in Romo's defense.

#1 Broken ribs in week 2
#2 Hasn't had his full complement of weapons for the entire season

It makes a huge difference. It's harder to cover Austin/Bryant/Robinson than Bryant/Robinson.

Where Dez is currently getting the best cornerback the other team has in addition to a safety over the top, when Austin returns either him or Bryant will get the teams 2nd best corner, and potentially no safety help...

That's a disaster in the making.

Our offense is still growing, losing fiammetta is a huge setback. We have an essentially brand new oline, dez is a 2nd year player, and robinson is in his first year in dallas, austin has been injured and missed 5 or 6 games... Romo has had broken ribs for more than half the season.