2015/2016 salary cap situation

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Assuming that the Salary Cap is 140 million dollars next year, we are currently 29 million dollars under the salary cap. That is a decent position to be in. With that being said however, we're also facing our 2015 major unrestricted free agents:

Tyron Smith
Dez Bryant
DeMarco Murray
Bruce Carter
"Doug Free"

I put Doug Free in quotation marks because we're not going to be keeping him. He'll most likely have to be replaced in the draft either this year or next year.

Tyron Smith and Dez Bryant are going to demand 10+ million each, but that isn't to suggest that they need to have 10 million dollar cap hits in 2015.

It'll be an interesting question as to whether or not we keep DeMarco Murray. One of the only reason why I think we might draft a running back somewhat high this year, is because I don't think the Cowboys have any interest in signing him to what he will ask for, I'm not even sure he would want to re-sign.

Bruce Carter will depend entirely on whether or not he rebounds from a really poor year last year, but I think he has damaged any asking price even if he does rebound. I think he is probably looking at 5 or 6 million per year tops.

So the main issue with the 2015 cap isn't re-signing these guys, I think the biggest issue is whether or not we will be able to sign any free agents that we might need on defense. Romo's base salary is 17 million, and can certainly be moved around as needed though.

My suggestion as others have mentioned is to try to move Dez Bryant rather than pay him 14+ million dollars. I don't know many teams that invest so much in the WR position and turn out wins consistently. Look at the Patriots, they never pay for wide receivers.

What's important to realize is that we're also about 70 million under the cap (assuming it goes to 150 million) in 2016.

2016 would appear to be a much less demanding year.

Our major unrestricted free agents are:
Morris Claiborne
Mackenzy Bernadeau
Tyrone Crawford

In other words we don't have any major obligations that run out in 2016.

Which is why if we hold off any major free agent signings until 2016, we'll find ourselves in really good shape that year to fill whatever holes we have from the 2014 and 2015 draft with free agents in 2016 (not to mention the 2016 draft).

Outside of Henry Melton and some people we sign for 1 or 2 year deals, I'm fine with us not breaking the budget over players that usually don't end up working out well anyways. You almost always overpay for free agents in the beginning of the year. You get much better value deals after June.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the projected dead money for 2015 is just the amount from making Austin a June 1st cut. IIRC that's about 5M.

That's really good considering it was 30M a couple of years ago and about 20M this year.

SacramentoKing

Nunez21
Reaction score
Hopefully they can use a good chunk of Dez guaranteed money then incase his back is an issue later.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Hopefully they can use a good chunk of Dez guaranteed money then incase his back is an issue later.

Makes you think they should invest in another young WR in the middle rounds. The front office has been way too reactive the last two decades for my taste.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

No to moving Dez. Won't happen and is a horrible idea.
The reason not many teams invest that much into a receiver is that there isn't many receivers as talented or worth the money as Dez. I can think of 3.
Otherwise, good post.

Smith22

Reaction score
The reason not many teams invest that much into a receiver is that there isn't many receivers as talented or worth the money as Dez. I can think of 3.
Otherwise, good post.

Fitz, Marshall, Megatron, A Johnson, AJ Green, Graham

perrykemp

Reaction score
The reason not many teams invest that much into a receiver is that there isn't many receivers as talented or worth the money as Dez.

Great WRs just don't seem to move the needle much compared to great players at other positions. There are so many "good" WRs in the league. Heck, 24 of them had 1000 yards or more.

Smith22

Reaction score
The Seahawks didn't need a great WR to win, just a smothering defense.

The Ravens had an aging Boldin and T. Smith, who is far from elite.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the projected dead money for 2015 is just the amount from making Austin a June 1st cut. IIRC that's about 5M.

That's really good considering it was 30M a couple of years ago and about 20M this year.

Wow. Good job Jerry!

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I need to add a correction to this. I didn't notice that overthecap hadn't updated for Miles Austin

2015 moves to 32 million and 2016 moves to 76 million.

At 32 million we probably won't need to restructure Romo in order to be effective, but we will certainly have that option.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I need to add a correction to this. I didn't notice that overthecap hadn't updated for Miles Austin

2015 moves to 32 million and 2016 moves to 76 million.

At 32 million we probably won't need to restructure Romo in order to be effective, but we will certainly have that option.

Scratch that. Too early in the morning.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Probably a very good chance that we extend Smith and Bryant during the 2014 season and I believe most are right about the numbers but the cap hits for both will probably be in the $6 to $8 million a year each in 2015 and 2016. If Jerry and Stephen do the contracts right like Denver has with Ware and Talib then Bryant would really be on a two-three year deal that if released after say two years wouldn't hamper the cap much.

One thing to look for in the draft in the next three years, i.e. 2014, 2015, 2016 is a QB especially in 2015 where I believe Jerry will go with one in the 1st round because realistically Romo has at probably most 3 years left and could be less depending on his back.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Hard to have that much dead money for 2015 before June 1 - if we don't pick up Free's option, we'll get more dead $.... if Carr doesn't rebound, if Written is 2015's Ware. Lots of opportunity to get back to those levels

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wow. Good job Jerry!

Not really. A team can only designate two guys as post-june 1 cuts before June 1, that would be the only source of dead money at this point. Comparisons with other years are meaningless at this point

movaughn88

Reaction score
Because of the cap room that we now have created, I'll duck as I say this but contingent on medical staff evaluations, I think they should throw an extra million or two into resigning Spencer. I think they can afford taking a flyer on him on a 3 year deal (that's really only 1-2). Of course that is unless Washington throws some ridiculous amount of money at him. In that case, pay Peppers or one of the old savvy vets on short term deal.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Great WRs just don't seem to move the needle much compared to great players at other positions. There are so many "good" WRs in the league. Heck, 24 of them had 1000 yards or more.

That does seem to be true. I still think letting our best player go would be a mistake unless it was a H walker type of trade.

SacramentoKing

Nunez21
Reaction score
Otherwise, good post.
I didn't say move Dez but OK

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to have that much dead money for 2015 before June 1 - if we don't pick up Free's option, we'll get more dead $.... if Carr doesn't rebound, if Written is 2015's Ware. Lots of opportunity to get back to those levels

Projected means estimated.

Free's salary is guaranteed if he remains on the roster past March. He's not going to be a June 1st cut. They have to cut him now if they're going to do it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Projected means estimated.

Free's salary is guaranteed if he remains on the roster past March. He's not going to be a June 1st cut. They have to cut him now if they're going to do it.

Huh? I'm talking about the two option years that we gave Free so that we could spread his bonus out further. He's got a club option of 8 mill in 2015. Obviously he's never seeing that -- but we do have nearly 4 mill in dead money that trails behind that deal.

So how a "projected" value of 5 mill is arrived at is questionable already as that just reflects Austin.