2015 Draft RB examination

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Its a good possibility all of our draft picks make the team, which is nearly unheard of... But being greedy I wish we had taken a RB somewhere.

The one guy that could be giving us an extra wrinkle right now is Matt Jones. He could be the angry tough yard guy we seemingly miss right now. At Florida, everyone knew he was running the ball and he still got yards in the SEC. Big bodied tough guy IMO.

Chaz Green may become our next swing tackle or replacement at RT, but it will be next year before we find out. 20-20 Hindsight...Jones may have been a better pick, but we cant make that call yet on two rookies.

Examining the Rb's who were drafted, and looking for someone who could get cut, that would be a nice addition to the PS for depth, is Mike Davis. He may not make the squad in San Fran which would be a nice young addition for us I think. I would be interested to know if he can play ST's.

Dallas was interested in Davis' Pro Day:
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/93770/mike-davis
"Davis was not running through drills and struggled to get through pass-catching drills," Pauline wrote. "Interesting note - the Dallas Cowboys sent a coach to specifically observe Davis. During the workout, which was run by the Tampa Bay Bucs, the Cowboys' coach was requesting for Davis to run specific drills. Shades of Tom Savage/Bill O'Brien from last year?" One would think Dallas takes a superior RB prospect earlier in the draft, but keep this note in mind if they pass on runners in the first few rounds."

Davis was selected one pick ahead of Damien Wilson. He may have been the RB they wanted. Wouldn't it be fitting if we wind up getting him anyway?

49er depth chart the way i see it:
Hyde, Bush, Hunter -- Davis and our Boy Phillip Tanner may not make it

Another interesting note, David Cobb was selected just a few picks later at the top of the 5th round, and he appears to be putting the heat on Bishop Sankey for the starting gig in Tenn. Dallas prob had Damien Wilson and Cobb ranked pretty close on their board and decided to go defense there since so many backs had been taken already and hoped they could get one in round 5. LBer was also a larger spot of need with Rolo's issues and the departure of Carter.

Rookie RB updates:
Lots of hamstring issues for these guys
Gurley - have to wait and see, but we never had a shot at him anyways.
Gordon - may eventually become the starter. I still think Dallas was hoping he was the pick. But didn't fall far enough.
round 3 - Tevin Coleman - hammy limited PS play
round 3 - Duke Johnson - hurt hammy - concussion
round 3 - Ajayi - hurt hammy
round 3 - David Johnson - hurt hammy
round 4 - Jeremy Langford - fighting for a spot, but makes team as ST guy probably
round 5 - Karlos Williams - hurt ..some kind of surgery on abdomen
round 4 - Buck Allen - still fumbling the ball
round 5 - David Cobb may start in Tenn but has an injury also apparently
round 4 - Jalston Fowler Tenn other draft pick is right behind him as a short yardage guy and possible FB

So all in all, if we had drafted any of these guys, and the same injury occurred to them, we would still have the same RB outlook going to game 4 of preseason.

As for me, I'm hoping that Davis hits the streets, and we pick him up. He has some intriguing upside.

TJ Yeldon is the guy I wanted once Gurley was gone. He also went earlier than expected.

Everyone around here talked about how easy it is to get a RB and how no one pays them or drafts them anymore and that is why we are stuck with DMC and Randle right now.

I do hope the numbers crunch means a RB or 2 is released.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas was interested in Davis' Pro Day:
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/93770/mike-davis
"Davis was not running through drills and struggled to get through pass-catching drills," Pauline wrote. "Interesting note - the Dallas Cowboys sent a coach to specifically observe Davis. During the workout, which was run by the Tampa Bay Bucs, the Cowboys' coach was requesting for Davis to run specific drills. Shades of Tom Savage/Bill O'Brien from last year?" One would think Dallas takes a superior RB prospect earlier in the draft, but keep this note in mind if they pass on runners in the first few rounds."

Davis was selected one pick ahead of Damien Wilson. He may have been the RB they wanted. Wouldn't it be fitting if we wind up getting him anyway?

As for me, I'm hoping that Davis hits the streets, and we pick him up. He has some intriguing upside.

Code:
Player    Age   Year
Reggie Bush      30   10
Carlos Hyde      23   2
Mike Davis       22   R
Kendall Hunter   26   5
Kendall Gaskins  24   1
Phillip Tanner   27   4

Jarryd Hayne     27   R

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
It's going to come down to how our backs play compared to the backs that were drafted that were on the board when the Cowboys were on the clock. If one of these rookie RB's the Cowboys could have had ends up more productive in 2015 than either McFadden or Randle it's going to create some interesting discussion especially if the running game isn't what we hoped it would be. With the Cowboys having a need at RB after losing Murray I felt certain they would roll the dice on one at some point in the draft especially considering this was graded out to be a strong RB crop. If a back does emerge into a better runner than either McFadden or Randle even if the player we drafted instead turns into a solid player not sure it will make up for missing out on a productive RB.

For Romo to be successful he needs a strong running game and having a productive RB threat is important if the Cowboys want to be the team they were last season and have any chance of improving on it. In 2012 they could have had Lacy or Bell in the second round but made the poor decision to take Escobar who me and many others on draft day said was a mistake. I wanted Eddie Lacy with that pick and thought it was a ridiculous move to go for another damn TE with a #2 pick. The Cowboys had a need at RB in that draft and ended up taking Randle in the 5th. Selecting Escobar with a #2 had STUPID written all over it.

Can you imagine lacy on this team. Wow

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
just as a completely fair warning...
anyone who has cried over 10 times about RBs this off-season expect merciless harassment if the running game succeeds.

in short, i told you so's are pretty tasteless, but no where near as tasteless as one long constant off-season barrage of tears over NOTHING.

eddie lacy is the one back drafted in the top 2 rounds of the previous 5 drafts... (and he was picked at the bottom of round 2), who is starting for a legit title contender.
of course he is now the example... good lord... myopic much?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
just as a completely fair warning...
anyone who has cried over 10 times about RBs this off-season expect merciless harassment if the running game succeeds.

in short, i told you so's are pretty tasteless, but no where near as tasteless as one long constant off-season barrage of tears over NOTHING.

eddie lacy is the one back drafted in the top 2 rounds of the previous 5 drafts... (and he was picked at the bottom of round 2), who is starting for a legit title contender.
of course he is now the example... good lord... myopic much?

What about Leveon Bell? We took Escobar one pick before Bell.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
any word on how Malcolm Brown did for the rams this preseason?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I still wished Dallas would have tried and traded up to get Tevin Coleman or trade up for a 5th rounder to get David Cobb. I believe Cobb to be a steal.

I don't care what the FO is saying. There were available talent up to the 5th round. Surely, some of them are better than Dunbar and could possibly give Randle a run for his money (or his underwear).

vaturkey

Reaction score
Matt Jones is having injury issues currently per the Washington Times as he has missed the last two days of practice. Had various knee surgeries in college. Could be a short career for him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What about Leveon Bell? We took Escobar one pick before Bell.

Bell is suspended so not starting right now and the Steelers aren't title contenders IMHO. They generally get ranked about 10th. I don't consider that a title contender. They have arguably the worst secondary in football and didn't win a single playoff game last year.

I do really like Bell and did coming out of MSU. But if we had drafted him he wouldn't have started over Murray. So he'd theoretically be starting this year for the first time once his suspension ended.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Bell is suspended so not starting right now and the Steelers aren't title contenders IMHO. They generally get ranked about 10th. I don't consider that a title contender. They have arguably the worst secondary in football and didn't win a single playoff game last year.

I do really like Bell and did coming out of MSU. But if we had drafted him he wouldn't have started over Murray. So he'd theoretically be starting this year for the first time once his suspension ended.

Just my opinion, but he would for sure have started over Murray.