2016 Mel Kiper Invitational chat thread

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cleveland Browns:

#2 - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St.

The rest of the draft doesn't even matter.

I had several GMs contact me after the pick asking if anyone was available to take over their team.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
A review of the Bills draft strategy...

I had 3 offensive and 3 defensive positions to target over the first 3 rounds of the draft (with the addition of QB in the 4th round IF one was available).

However by the time my pick came up in round 1, there were already 3 offensive tackles off the board and 3 defensive tackles off the board, which made the selection of Leonard Floyd, the OLB from Georgia a no-brainer for me. With the impending release of Mario Williams the need for another pass-rusher from the outside was very high. Floyd was ranked higher on my board than where I picked him, so I thought the value was good.

In round 2 I was looking for the best value I could get from any of the following positions: OG, OT, ILB, DT and WR. Indy nabbed Cody Whitehair, the guard from Kanas right before me, so I was left scrabbling for a moment until I found that Tyler Boyd, the WR from Pittsburgh (and a first rounder on many mocks) was still available... So his name was on the card. The hope is that he'll develop into a decent #2 WR in the Buffalo offense. Robert Woods has the talent but just has not done enough as the second WR for Buffalo.

I think round 3 was my best round when it came to value... Kentrell Brothers the ILB from Missouri was sitting there, and he combined terrific value (I had him as the 2nd best ILB) and could help fill an immediate need on the Buffalo defense.

In round 4 I was again looking for a pick that combined value while filling a team need– and there was Christian Westerman, the guard from Arizona St. He's a bit undersized but is extremely strong. I envision him competing immediately at the RG spot and could potentially fill in at center.

Well that's it...

Another well-run draft by Risen and big thanks to all the participants.

Brothers was a steal in round 3. I tried like crazy to move up and snag but couldn't get it done

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Cincinnati Bengals Draft:
Cincinnati Bengals (ABQcowboyJR)

1(24) Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson
3(70) Jordan Jenkins OLB Georgia
3(87) Kyle Murphy T Stanford
4(101) Keyarris Garrett WR Tulsa
4(119) Hassan Ridgeway DT Texas
Added 2017 6th Round Pick (Baltimore)

Remaining Selections - 5(149), 6(181), 7(213)

Original Selections - 1(24), 2(55), 3(87), 4(119), 5(149), 6(181), 7(213)

Team Needs:

OLB- The Bengals have an immediate need at the SAM. They signed AJ Hawk in FA, but his production fell off dramatically from 2014. He was more of a liability then anything last year. Lumar (5th yr) is the back up and is serviceable, but is a player that offers little pass rush and limited playmaking ability. The MLB Maualuga had a good year last Season. He is backed up by Rey Vincent who is solid. Burfict is the WILL but could be moved to SAM. The backup is Dawson or Vincent.

DT- Atkins is the 3Tech and Peko is the 1Tech. Atkins had another excellent year for the Bengals and he is locked up through 2018. Peko, on the other hand, fell of a great deal in 2015. Peko is in his 11th year, while still a serviceable 1Tech, it would be wise for the Bengals to start developing another young DT. Peko is in the final year of his contract and will be a FA after 2016. It is not a foregone conclusion that he will resign with the Bengals on a short term deal, as opposed to a longer term deal, which he might not see the end of. Both backups Pat Sims and Brandon Thompson are unspectacular journeymen Tackles who will not be starters and contribute limited minutes.

CB - The Bengals have some decisions to make at the CB position. They spent a high pick on Dre Kirkpatrick 2012, but he has not been the answer for them. DK is going into his 5th season and the Bengals still have significant questions about him. They spent another 1st on Darqueze Dennard in 2014. While Dennard looks promising he was lost for the year to a shoulder in 2015. On the other side you have Leon Hall, in his 10th year, who was plagued by constant back and Concussion issues the past two years. Pac Man Jones (11th season) had a decent year last year and is going to be a FA along with Hall. Does the team really want to invest in anything more than a possible cap friendly 1 year deal for either of these players? It very well might be time to draft a potential starter at CB to pair with Dennard for the future.

WR- A.J. Green is the #1 and locked up through 2019. However, both Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones are FAs. It is unlikely that both will be retained. Both are solid players and entering their primes and likely to enter FA, in order to maximize their dollar value. The guys behind them haven't shown that they can become #2 WRs at this point in their developments. For financial reasons alone, a WR with the ability to become a #2 WR is a priority.

OL- The Bengals are not satisfied with the production from the Center position. Bodine and Johnson are both young players so it is difficult to know if they will continue to develop. The Bengals have two solid Guards in Boling and Zeitler. Boling is locked up through 2019 and Zeitler will be an FA after 2016. Behind them are Vet Eric Winston (9th year) and 2nd year man Trey Hopkins. At best, Hopkins unproven and Winston is a FA. Will the Bengals bring him back? Depth at Guard should be a priority for the Bengals. Their OTs are LT Andrew Whitworth (10th year) and Andre Smith. Whitworth has been signed to a one year deal through 2016. Smith is a serviceable RT, who is also a FA. Fisher is the young air apparent to Whitworth, but he has to show more. Winston backs up at RT, but after that there isn’t not much. For no other reason than depth and youth the Bengals should look towards the draft for a young OT to eventually step in and be their future starter or capable swing.

DE/Edge Rusher- I actually like the DE position for the Bengals. Their starters are Dunlap and Johnson. Dunlap is coming off a great year and Johnson is steady, but you would like to see more pass rush production out of Johnson. Dunlap and Johnson are signed through 2018 with manageable contracts. You round out the position with backups Hunt and Clarke, whom at best can be considered unproven. On the other side you have Gilberry who is an FA. I think that an Edge Rusher/DE should be spot the Bengals should look to add to. The need is not immediate, but they need to bring in more young talent here.S- The starting Safeties for the Bengals are Iloka and Nelson. Nelson (10th year) and Iloka had very good seasons in 2015 both were also lost to injury. The Bengals might like both players, but can or will they keep both? Safety may be a priority for the Bengals in FA. They have two young Safeties behind them in Shawn Williams and Derron Smith, I actually like them both, but another good young Safety may be a wise move for the Bengals in this next draft.

Note: We spent considerable time discussing the Bengals with Bengal Fans. We signed up on Bengal Message Boards and specifically asked the fans what they thought about their own team. We then took a look at their rosters and their situation with Cap and FA. As we looked at the Bengals we saw a playoff team that didn't have a lot of big holes, but needed to address specific positions in order to manage the Cap long term. Development of young players and position flex were key for them. Based on all of these things we put together our board. However, the selection of players was based mainly off of feed-back from their fans.

1st Rd (24) Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson - 5'10" 195 lbs.In the first round we were pleasantly surprisedto see Alexander avaialble at 24.Right at the top of our board was our #1 CB Alexander and possibly the most talented DT in the draft Nkemdiche.We would have been happy with either player, but went with Alexander over Nkemdiche. The financials, the need at the position, as well as the personal issues with Nkemdiche made Alexander the easy choice. Alexander is very athletic, strong, intelligent and wants to learn the game. He exhibits exceptional man press abilities and very good technique. There are concerns with his size and lack of INTs. However, if you look at the number of times he was targeted you begin to realize that teams didn't throw at him much, which helps to explain the poor INT #’s. He was our number 1 Corner in this draft.

2nd Rd (55)- The second round ended up being a frantic mess with the board getting eaten alive in front of us. I can’t tell you how bad we really wanted Boyd here. To tell the truth, we were willing to spend a 1st round pick on Boyd. As much of a pipe dream as Boyd might have been at 55 we were willing to take Whitehair, Kelly,Safety Thomas, Butler, Nealor Doctson. Of course, all were gone and we didn’t like the value at the pick. If we hadn’t of ended up trading down we probably would have taken Karl Joseph whom ironically enough was taken with our traded pick. In the end we decided to move back and try to find more value later in the draft.

3rd Rd (70) Jordan Jenkins OLB Georgia - 6'3" 257 lbs. In the third round we landed one of my favorite prospects in the draft, Jordan Jenkins.He is an athletic kid that could grow into a nice edge rusher for us. Jenkins can play OLB or MLB in a 43 or 34. He can also put his hand in the dirt and rush the passer. He Stacks, he Sheds, he is strong at the point of attack and he can cover the TE. His position flex and versatility were key in why we took in in the 3rd. Edge Rusher and need at LB made Jenkins valuable to us.

32rd Rd (87)Kyle Murphy T Stanford- 6'6" 300 lbs. With our second pick in the 3rd round we Targeted WRs Pharoh Cooper or De’Runnya Wilson. This did not workout with both players going bac-to-back at 78 and 79. We decided to help ourselves on the Oline with Kyle Murphy from Stanford.Murphy has excellent size and agility for the position. He sports long arms, good foot quickness, an ability to pull from the interior and he hits targets. He has natural position Flex as a RT, Swing Tackle or Guard. He needs to improve on his technique, but with his athletic ability he fits the needs for OT or Guard depth with the possibility of developing into a starter for the Bengals.

4th Rd (101) Keyarris Garrett WR Tulsa - 6'3" 220 lbs. In the fourth round we addressed our WR need with Keyarris Garrett from Tulsa.We liked several WRs in this draft, but they all seemed to go ahead of our picks. Garrett was really the last WR that we truly liked, but we really, really liked him.It’s not hard to see that there is a lot of upside to this kid at 6’4 220 with wheels. He has a knack for the deep ball and decent hands.Garrett is a kid who came to Tulsa a bit Raw. In his Soph. year he really started to develop with 67 Rec., 845 yds and 9 TDs. In his Jr. year he suffered a compound fracture in the second game and he was done for the season. He took a medical hardship and returned to play in 10 games the next season. His numbers were pedestrian, 47 catches for 698 yards and 5 TDs. However, in his Sr. year (2015) he came back to catch 96 balls 1588 yards and 8 TDs with AYPC of 16.5. His career AYPC is 14.6. In his Sr. year he gained 102 yards on UNM without even playing the entire game, 189 against OU, 268 against Memphis, 168 against Cincinnati, 216 against Tulane and 137 against VaTech. He has faced some decent talent and produced.. He needs to fill out and continue to develop, but we feel he can be a viable complement to AJ.

4th Rd (119) Hassan Ridgeway DT Texas - 6'3" 320 lbs. Late in the 4th we rounded out our draft with Hassan Ridgeway. At times during his college career he appeared to be unstoppable and dominate his competition. His physical attributes will have him perform well at the combine and move up draft boards. He has the talent to be a play-maker at the next level and we couldn’t turn that talent down late in the fourth.There were several DTs we liked a lot in this draft, but we targeted Ridgeway as our 4th Rd selection early on. Ridgeway is very athletic for his size. Came to Texas as an Edge Rusher and developed into a DT that could play 1Tech or 3Tech. He gets penetration regularly and has good explosion off the ball. He has the strength to Stack at the point of attack and hold. He can move out to the 5Tech in 3 downline situations and has a mean streak. He had injuries while at Texas and that limited him a great deal, however he needs to learn better technique with his hands and he needs to stay healthy. Again, Ridgeway offers position flex at key areas of need for the Bengals. He can fit into a DT rotation at either 1 or 3. He has the athletic ability and the intelligence to become a starter at DT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Someone tell me why CB KeiVarae Russell, Notre Dame wasn't drafted?......This kid is gona blow up the combine...and his highlight tape looks great....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because it's the NFL Draft and good players always slip through the cracks. Why didn't you draft him with one of your 4 picks?

OMG :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've noticed a radical shift in the stock of the 4 players I've drafted in the twitter scouting world.

My influence can not be overstated.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a reminder, if you want input into the grades, I need your grading sent to me before the weekend.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Because it's the NFL Draft and good players always slip through the cracks. Why didn't you draft him with one of your 4 picks?

OMG :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He wasn't a need for Atlanta...why didn't you draft him? I have him rated way above Harlin Miller....

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Someone tell me why CB KeiVarae Russell, Notre Dame wasn't drafted?......This kid is gona blow up the combine...and his highlight tape looks great....

For the same reason Artie Burns was available for me in the late 3rd. I agree with you that he'll be a good player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
These things are good fun. But thinking certain players are steals at this stage is, of course, only opinion. (Note that a huge percent of players taken in the Kiper draft last year ended up way out of position...and maybe even moreso after one year of evaluation)
Since this a forum of opinions, guess that's ok:D

MikeT22

Reaction score
Dolphins Draft: Basically went BPA approach with emphasis on defense.

1. Myles Jack - I consider Jack one of the top 5 players in the draft. I was hoping Jack, Bosa, Ramsey or Buckner would drop to 8th and Jack ended up being the BPA and the top of my list at that point.

2. Kenny Clark DT - This draft is deep at DL and Clark was my highest rated at this point. Dolphins look to be losing at least 2 top DL and so this was also a need area for them. He'd also be someone I'd be interested in the Cowboys looking at in the 2nd.

3. Devontae Booker RB - My #3 RB behind Elliot and Henry. Dolphins appear to be losing Lamar Miller in FA and Booker should fit right in.

4. Shawn Oakman DL - Oakman is a player with all the tools but fell due to questions regarding his consistency. But I felt the fourth round was a good landing spot for him. Before he decided to go back to school many had him in the 1st/2nd round last year. He didn't live up to that billing his senior year but at this point was a player worth taking a chance on.

Among the drafts I graded high were the Browns, Giants, 49ers, Colts

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Dolphins Draft: Basically went BPA approach with emphasis on defense.

1. Myles Jack - I consider Jack one of the top 5 players in the draft. I was hoping Jack, Bosa, Ramsey or Buckner would drop to 8th and Jack ended up being the BPA and the top of my list at that point.

2. Kenny Clark DT - This draft is deep at DL and Clark was my highest rated at this point. Dolphins look to be losing at least 2 top DL and so this was also a need area for them. He'd also be someone I'd be interested in the Cowboys looking at in the 2nd.

3. Devontae Booker RB - My #3 RB behind Elliot and Henry. Dolphins appear to be losing Lamar Miller in FA and Booker should fit right in.

4. Shawn Oakman DL - Oakman is a player with all the tools but fell due to questions regarding his consistency. But I felt the fourth round was a good landing spot for him. Before he decided to go back to school many had him in the 1st/2nd round last year. He didn't live up to that billing his senior year but at this point was a player worth taking a chance on.

Among the drafts I graded high were the Browns, Giants, 49ers, Colts and Chargers.

I liked your draft. I can see all of those guys still in the NFL 7-8 years from now. If the Cowboys had their first 3 rounds fall like that, I'd be happy with it.

This assuming the Cowboys didn't feel any of the top 3 QBs were worth the pick, or if CLE drafts Wentz.

Plankton

Reaction score
I went into this draft knowing that the defense was an absolute dumpster fire for the Giants. Aside from Jonathan Hankins, Devon Kennard (who did not have a good 2015 season), Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Landon Collins, the Giants are completely bereft of talent on all levels of their defense. I would expect for them to get a lot done in free agency, as they will have nearly $60 million to spend, but they need an influx of talent via the draft. On offense, they need to look at an OT, WR depth, and possibly RB, but the defensive needs are higher and more profound.

1(10) Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida - Going in, at #10, from a talent standpoint, I was eyeing either Ronnie Stanley or Hargreaves. I considered Ezekiel Elliott, but when the pick came up, Hargreaves was the highest rated player on my board (#8), and certainly a position of need for the Giants. Aside from Rodgers-Cromartie, who played very well in 2015, the Giants lack talent at CB. Prince Amukamara cannot stay healthy, has poor ball skills and is a free agent. Jayron Hosley has been a bust. Trumaine McBride? Trevin Wade? Need I say more? Hargreaves provides an aggressive corner to play opposite Rodgers-Cromartie, and will instantly upgrade the position for the Giants.

2(40) Austin Johnson DT Penn St. - I attempted to trade back into the first round to get Noah Spence, but was unable to agree to terms on a deal. Once the second round started, I had my eyes on two players - Darron Lee and Jonathan Bullard. As luck would have it, both players were selected with the picks immediately preceding my selection. I was hoping to trade down, but didn't find a taker. I ended up going with the top rated player on my board (#31), Johnson, who will provide push from the interior, and along with Hankins, immediately provide protection for the LB corps with his 315 pound frame. Johnson improved as a pass rusher this past season, and is an intelligent player. He immediately steps in as a starter, replacing the aging Cullen Jenkins. The only other player under consideration when my pick was on the clock was Su'a Cravens.

3(71) Jeremy Cash S Duke - I was hoping to have a pass rusher slip to this pick, and the closest players fitting this profile, Shilique Calhoun and Jordan Jenkins, went prior to my selection. I again went with the best player available on my board, which was Jeremy Cash (#52 on my board). Cash brings a physical aspect to the safety position, but is athletic enough to play in coverage. Similar to Johnson, Cash is a walk in the door starter with this defense, as the safety talent with the Giants is non-existent (Cooper Taylor? Craig Dahl?) next to Landon Collins. Collins and Cash will make for a hard hitting safety duo, and Cash will also be a core special teamer. I also considered taking Jerald Hawkins here to shore up the OT position, but Cash was higher on my board, so he was the selection.

3(94) Sheldon Day DT Notre Dame - As the third round continued, I saw Sheldon Day slipping down the board. He doesn't fit every scheme, but he is a high effort, quick off the ball player who can get penetration when facing one on one opportunities. The pass rush options were pretty lean by this time, and the value I saw in this player was worth making a deal. I struck out multiple times before coming to an agreement with Carolina in trading my fifth for moving up 12 spots from the fourth round. Day did play a little end at the Senior Bowl, and flashed some pass rush there. His value will be in a rotation with Hankins and Johnson, where his quickness and motor will be a nice complement to the heft of those two. For the #68 player on my board, I was happy with the trade.

Overall, I definitely think I addressed some needs, though I wish I was able to secure a true DE prospect. The draft didn't fall the way I had hoped in that regard. I think most guys did a good job, and I think the value boards were pretty similar across the board. I think the Colts, Chiefs, Saints, Dolphins and Commanders had very strong efforts.

Many thanks to Risen for a great effort in running this, and for all of the participants. It was a fun experience.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wasn't a need for Atlanta...why didn't you draft him? I have him rated way above Harlin Miller....

I need you to sit down for this one.

You ready?

I don't conduct my draft with your value board.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, my unflushed friend....

I bet ya 1,000 likes that as long as there are no off field issues that come to light or no injuries that Miller will be drafted before Russell.

Another 1,000 that he has a better career too.

2,000 likes total. Let's see who blinks first.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still taking grades. Only have about half the field. Let your opinion be known.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Raiders

Rd 1 jaylon smith

Top 5/6 player in this draft and at an area of need. Injury is of no concern. The draft is for the long haul NOT quick fixes. Put him alongside kalil Mack and that's a great tandem.
He was a guy I thought would fall to me and was easily the best player left.

Rd 2 Jason spriggs

This guy will be selected in round one. Bank on it. He will also test very well this week. Can play RT immediately but has the natural feet and hands to slide over to left tackle and be a ten year start. Tackle was a huge need for the Raiders

Rd 3 chris Jones

Hit this outta the park. After Buckner I think he is the best 5t in the draft and a top interior DT. versatile as hell, only just scratching the surface he is climbing boards fast to the point I have seen him mentioned in round 1.

Rd 4 Paul Perkins

Will be 3rd down back from day 1. Wanted a db but I didn't see value.

3 day one starters and a guy to contribute on a pretty dynamic offense with Carr and cooper. It simply must be an A+ grade