2016 Mel Kiper Invitational chat thread

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers are already favorites for the Super Bowl in 2016, most felt the secondary (and Antonio Brown's concussion) cost them a shot this year. With that in mind I focused on the secondary. They also have needs on the o-line, at tight end with Heath Miller's recent retirement, and they may lose Ramon Foster to Free Agency - he's also north of the 30, they rarely sign guys that age.

2 (34) Kendall Fuller, CB, VA Tech

I traded back with Dallas and it seemed to be moderately panned. Thought I got decent value, but maybe should have inquired about a 2017 pick. Anyway, at the time of the trade I circled 8 players I would be happy to have at 25, including at the time 3 corners and a safety. I felt strongly at least 1 of those players would be there dropping 9 slots and I picked up an added 4th and 6th rounder. Initially, I had hoped Billings would drop and the Steelers would have a Nose to pair with the terrific duo of Heyward and Tuitt, giving the Steelers 5 young playmakers in the front 7 with the 3 guys on the line and Dupree and Shazier at LB. Billings went at 15. Fuller was good value IMO at 34 and fills a crying need at corner. Him and Senquez Golson, 2nd rounder in 2015, immediately upgrade the Steelers biggest weakness in the secondary. Very pleased to add Fuller at a good spot for him #34.

2 (58) Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio St

I thought long and hard about Austin Hooper here or Vannett. Hooper might be more of a Steeler type tight end and would pair nicely with 2015 draft pick Jesse James to fill the void left by the retirement of Heath Miller. Ultimately, I had Vannett higher on the board and selected him. Vannett has time to develop and joins the best offense in football with a premium qb.

3 (76) Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford

Was sitting at 89, 98, and 120 still left to draft and was hoping Miles Killebrew would drop to 89, he went at 74 or 75 and the pickings started to look slim for guys I really liked on my board. Garnett was sitting there and I wasn't crazy about the remaining safeties. Garnett was one of the highest guys left on my board and filled a need with Ramon Foster at 30 and maybe exiting via FA. The Steelers have a young, very good oline with Pouncy, Decastro, and Gilbert. LT is probably Kelvin Beachum (FA) or Villanueve who filled in admirably when Beachum was injured mid season. To me, Garnett is plug and play on a terrific young line at LG. I traded the Steelers original pick in round 3 at 89 and their pick at 120 to move up to 76, knowing I still had a 4th rounder acquired from Dallas at 98. Felt it was an even value trade and got a guy I wanted on a board that was getting thin.

4 (98) Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota

Once again I was looking for secondary help with my last pick in the mock, and while I really would have liked a safety, Murray was the highest rated player on my board in the secondary. He had a good Senior Bowl week of practices against Braxton Miller. They can't rely on Antwan Blake, Cortez Allen, and Ross Cockrell at corner and hope to be a Super Bowl team. Fuller is a 1st day starter, Murray and 2015 pick Senquez Golson push the 3 veterans for playing time or push 1 of those JAGs off the roster.

Just want to say thanks to Risen Star, who gets an honorary "like" for his all day effort yesterday. While I follow the draft, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as guys like Risen, Floaty, etc. but tried to do my homework, not make a total *** of myself, and really had some fun with this. Thanks again.

DuDa

Reaction score
Houston Texans (DuDa)

1(22) Kevin Dodd DE Clemson- I was not here for my first two picks but I understand while they were made. The Texans have a need for another pass rusher not name JJ Watt and Dodd was slotted right in the range. Solid pick here but not great.

2(52) Christian Hackenberg QB Penn St.- Again, I understand why this pick was made but this is a huge reach IMHO. Hackenberg's career was a huge disappointment and his physical skills alone do not warrant a 2nd round selection.

3(85) Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech- This is my first pick. One, Dixon was close to the best available on my board. Second, the Texans needs more playmakers on offense and Dixon is a good fit there.

4(116) John Theus T Georgia- Not a flashy pick- This is not a flashy pick here but Theus has been one of the better OT's in college football while starting 48 of 53 games in the SEC.

DuDa

Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers are already favorites for the Super Bowl in 2016, most felt the secondary (and Antonio Brown's concussion) cost them a shot this year. With that in mind I focused on the secondary. They also have needs on the o-line, at tight end with Heath Miller's recent retirement, and they may lose Ramon Foster to Free Agency - he's also north of the 30, they rarely sign guys that age.

2 (34) Kendall Fuller, CB, VA Tech

I traded back with Dallas and it seemed to be moderately panned. Thought I got decent value, but maybe should have inquired about a 2017 pick. Anyway, at the time of the trade I circled 8 players I would be happy to have at 25, including at the time 3 corners and a safety. I felt strongly at least 1 of those players would be there dropping 9 slots and I picked up an added 4th and 6th rounder. Initially, I had hoped Billings would drop and the Steelers would have a Nose to pair with the terrific duo of Heyward and Tuitt, giving the Steelers 5 young playmakers in the front 7 with the 3 guys on the line and Dupree and Shazier at LB. Billings went at 15. Fuller was good value IMO at 34 and fills a crying need at corner. Him and Senquez Golson, 2nd rounder in 2015, immediately upgrade the Steelers biggest weakness in the secondary. Very pleased to add Fuller at a good spot for him #34.

2 (58) Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio St

I thought long and hard about Austin Hooper here or Vannett. Hooper might be more of a Steeler type tight end and would pair nicely with 2015 draft pick Jesse James to fill the void left by the retirement of Heath Miller. Ultimately, I had Vannett higher on the board and selected him. Vannett has time to develop and joins the best offense in football with a premium qb.

3 (76) Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford

Was sitting at 89, 98, and 120 still left to draft and was hoping Miles Killebrew would drop to 89, he went at 74 or 75 and the pickings started to look slim for guys I really liked on my board. Garnett was sitting there and I wasn't crazy about the remaining safeties. Garnett was one of the highest guys left on my board and filled a need with Ramon Foster at 30 and maybe exiting via FA. The Steelers have a young, very good oline with Pouncy, Decastro, and Gilbert. LT is probably Kelvin Beachum (FA) or Villanueve who filled in admirably when Beachum was injured mid season. To me, Garnett is plug and play on a terrific young line at LG. I traded the Steelers original pick in round 3 at 89 and their pick at 120 to move up to 76, knowing I still had a 4th rounder acquired from Dallas at 98. Felt it was an even value trade and got a guy I wanted on a board that was getting thin.

4 (98) Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota

Once again I was looking for secondary help with my last pick in the mock, and while I really would have liked a safety, Murray was the highest rated player on my board in the secondary. They can't rely on Antwan Blake, Cortez Allen, and Ross Cockrell at corner and hope to be a Super Bowl team. Fuller is a 1st day starter, Murray and 2015 pick Senquez Golson push the 3 veterans for playing time or push 1 of those JAGs off the roster.

Just want to say thanks to Risen Star, who gets an honorary "like" for his all day effort yesterday. While I follow the draft, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as guys like Risen, Floaty, etc. but tried to do my homework, not make a total *** of myself, and really had some fun with this. Thanks again.

That is a very solid draft haul there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Here are my pick explanations. I was stuck in the midpoint of each round, so I was not interested in moving up and any trade offers were not appealing to me as I saw how things unfolded. I wanted to get the best player I could but with a focus especially on the lines for the Colts which were a little weak last year.

1. Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St.

My plan going into the first was to look at a variety of positions as the Colts need help everywhere. I was hoping either Robinson or Rankins would somehow drop, but they both got snapped up in rapid fashion. It would have been easy to simply draft for true need and take an OL like Conklin. But with Elliott staring me in the face, it didn't take long to switch gears. Needless to say I was happy to take the best RB and probably one of the most fundamentally secure players in this draft. Elliott's ability to run, catch and especially pass block will be invaluable to getting Andrew Luck back on track.

2. Cody Whitehair G Kansas St.

I was a little depressed going into this round as I had to submit a very long list of 23 players since I could not be watching the 2nd round closely. I was fairly certain at least ten of those on the list were gone, but turns out I got the second player on my rank order list. Whitehair is another "safe" player who has played tackle at a high level and can line up anywhere, which really helps a problem area on the Colts' OL. Plus most view him as a borderline first round choice, and I got him nearly 50 players in. I feel I got value, need and versatility. I would like to thank several teams for reaching on more than a few players allowing this to happen. I love you all.

3. Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah St.

I was able to go back to my second round list and see if there were any players left and I was focused on defense, didn't matter what position. He was one of four defenders left from my second round list and he was at the top, so this was fairly easy. Fackrell is listed as a top 100 player by quite a few draftniks and some even have him sneaking into the first. Happy with him as he allows me to cut Bjoern Werner and get an edge player for the D that needs it.

4. D.J. Reader DT Clemson

I submitted another list for the third and amazingly got the top player. I did a lot of study of the other Clemson lineman like Dodd and Lawson going into this. As I watched them, Reader always seemed to stick out as drawing blockers and getting the dirty work done. The Colts have David Parry at NT, but he is only 308 and has a tough time handling double teams in their 3-4. At 330 pounds, Reader will not have a problem doing that and could come in and compete to start. I considered other players like Westerman and Maliek Collins, who will probably freak out at the Combin, but I felt Reader fit the Colts the best and gets them needed beef and big game experience.

If there were a fifth round, this would be my list:

C Jack Allen, Michigan State
DE Ronald Blair, Appalachian State
OT Willie Beavers, Western Michigan
FS Sean Davis, Maryland
OG Joe Dahl, Washington State
CB KeiVarae Russell, Notre Dame
TE Jerrell Adams, South Carolina
DE James Cowser, Southern Utah
C Graham Glasgow, Michigan State

Overall it was a fun mock, one I wouldn't mind doing again. The only bad part were the no shows, but I guess that is standard anymore.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vannett is the most complete TE in this draft and was criminally underused in college.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander's new feared pass rusher....

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

You can just smell the fear collectively emanating from the QBs all across the league.

tm1119

Reaction score

Starting at the five minute mark, you can see my 4th round choice D.J. Reader imposing his will on Risen Star's 2nd round choice Ryan Kelly after Nick Saban wisely protected his clearly overrated center from Reader's beastly abilities for much of the contest.

Kiper Invitational participants, please note for grading purposes.

Love Reader...underrated. Would love to get him as our 1 tech. I think he'd be rated much higher if he didn't take that leave of absence at the beginning of the year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In all seriousness, Reader is one of my favorite players in this draft. Tremendously underrated. To go from Hayden to Reader would be like going from Costa to Frederick. The difference would be glaring from the first game.

Alexander

Reaction score
In all seriousness, Reader is one of my favorite players in this draft. Tremendously underrated. To go from Hayden to Reader would be like going from Costa to Frederick. The difference would be glaring from the first game.

Speaking of Costa, that is who Ryan Kelly looked like trying to block D.J.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Minnesota Vikings Post-Draft Analysis

First off, let me say what a pleasure it was. I never thought I'd know so much about the Vikings. It was an interesting case study. Young quarterback, All-World running back, no passing game to speak of, and a solid defense.

After evaluating the teams needs, I identified the following positions as the areas needing the most resources:

OL, WR, DE, S, CB, P

Using these positions as a baseline for my target areas, I went into this with a "BPA at a position of need" mentality.

Minnesota Vikings Draft Selections

1(23) Corey Coleman WR Baylor-
Corey Coleman is a dynamic, play-making deep threat at WR. While it's true that Baylor runs a pass-happy offense, you cannot ignore some of the stats on this kid. He scored 20 receiving TDs this year. TWENTY. He was voted "College Football's Freakiest Athlete". He's a better, bigger, stronger, smarter Desean Jackson. He can light you up downfield.

2(54) Vadal Alexander G LSU- I had Vadal Alexander pegged as my #2 OG. Great value at 54. He is a mauling, road-grading OL with high position versatility. The Minnesota Vikings went into the season having lost two of their starters along the OL for the year. Alexander can play any of the T or G positions, though he's more suited to play inside.

3(86) Artie Burns CB Miami-
I could not believe he fell this far to me. I contacted several teams, trying to hop up 10 spots to snag him, but ultimately everyone wanted way too much, so I just sat tight and watched him fall. He was one of four guys that I had second round grades on that were still available at pick 76 that could fulfill a position of need on my team. I really thought he would go in the 2nd. This was a big time steal. He's got the size, speed, and ball skills to become a legit playmaker in a year or two.

Added 2017 4th Round Pick (San Francisco)- I was not thrilled with any of the prospects still remaining as they pertained to my football team and it's major needs. The best players that were left on the board were a RB and a 4-3 SLB, which are two positions that the Minnesota Vikings are doing very well at with Adrian Peterson and Anthony Barr. Seeing this, I received several offers and ultimately took the one that I felt would allow me to fulfill the rest of my needs with solid draft picks.

Exchanged pick 118 for picks 130, 160, and a 2017 4th round pick. It'll be a low 4th. It's the freakin 49ers.

Remaining Selections - 5(130), 5(148), 6(160), 7(208), 7(212)

With the rest of my picks, I plan to draft:

-the best punter in the draft, Drew Kaser. He will take over for Jeff Locke, who statistically has been the worst punter in the NFL since he was drafted 3 seasons ago.

-the rest of the picks will go to the Best Player Available. This will assist me in stocking my roster with quality players, regardless of position. If that means I end up drafting 3 LBs, so be it. The late rounds are where you find small school gems and career, quality depth.

Original Selections - 1(23), 2(54), 3(86), 4(118), 5(148), 7(208), 7(212)

Thanks for reading.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Tampa Bay.

Pick 9 - Laquon Treadwell WR - Winston gets another weapon and all of a sudden Tampa has one of the best receiving corps in the entire league.

Pick 39 - Jonathan Bullard DE - Fills Tampas largest need and I had a first rd grade on him so happy to see him slip.

Pick 74 - Miles Killebrew SS - possibly the best measurables of all of the safety's not named Ramsey. I secretly hope Dallas drafts him.

Pick 105 - Spencer Drango OG - A beast of a man and had an impressive college career. I think he will be moving up draft boards soon.

With 4 picks I filled 4 of the 5 largest needs that Tampa has. It was fun. Thanks.

Questfor6

Reaction score
Chargers Draft Analysis:

Round 1. Jalen Ramsey S/CB- didn't make this selection because of a work related issue although its who I would've picked. Perfect replacement on the backend for Weddle. Only guy I would've considered at this pick would have been Ronnie Stanley.

Round 2. Vernon Butler NT - This pick was close between Spriggs and Butler but I ultimately went for the guy who could become a star play nose tackle.

Round 3. Jihad Ward DE- Really wanted Calhoun to slide to me at this spot but I settled for another defender. Ward was very disruptive upfront for the Illinois and is a perfect replacement for Kendall Reyes.

Round 4. Kenny Lawler WR- Went back and forth between him and Rashard Robinson but ultimately Lawler won. Kid reminds me of Terrence Williams body wise except he has hands.

Alexander

Reaction score
4(117) Rashard Higgins WR Colorado St.
I seem to be higher on Higgins than most. I think he's absolutely a top 10 WR this year but I rarely see him included. Several WRs went before him that I just don't believe are better than he is. Maybe it's his lack of deep speed but a lot of the others don't have it either. He's a good route runner with very good hands. Student of the game type. It's the NFL Draft. It's a crap shoot but I believe Higgins has a shot to be a productive starter in the league.

@Risen Star

Still like him?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A review of the Bills draft strategy...

I had 3 offensive and 3 defensive positions to target over the first 3 rounds of the draft (with the addition of QB in the 4th round IF one was available).

However by the time my pick came up in round 1, there were already 3 offensive tackles off the board and 3 defensive tackles off the board, which made the selection of Leonard Floyd, the OLB from Georgia a no-brainer for me. With the impending release of Mario Williams the need for another pass-rusher from the outside was very high. Floyd was ranked higher on my board than where I picked him, so I thought the value was good.

In round 2 I was looking for the best value I could get from any of the following positions: OG, OT, ILB, DT and WR. Indy nabbed Cody Whitehair, the guard from Kanas right before me, so I was left scrabbling for a moment until I found that Tyler Boyd, the WR from Pittsburgh (and a first rounder on many mocks) was still available... So his name was on the card. The hope is that he'll develop into a decent #2 WR in the Buffalo offense. Robert Woods has the talent but just has not done enough as the second WR for Buffalo.

I think round 3 was my best round when it came to value... Kentrell Brothers the ILB from Missouri was sitting there, and he combined terrific value (I had him as the 2nd best ILB) and could help fill an immediate need on the Buffalo defense.

In round 4 I was again looking for a pick that combined value while filling a team need– and there was Christian Westerman, the guard from Arizona St. He's a bit undersized but is extremely strong. I envision him competing immediately at the RG spot and could potentially fill in at center.

Well that's it...

Another well-run draft by Risen and big thanks to all the participants.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score

I had 3 offensive and 3 defensive positions to target over the first 3 rounds of the draft (with the addition of QB in the 4th round IF one was available).

However by the time my pick came up in round 1, there were already 3 offensive tackles off the board and 3 defensive tackles off the board, which made the selection of Leonard Floyd, the OLB from Georgia a no-brainer for me. With the impending release of Mario Williams the need for another pass-rusher from the outside was very high. Floyd was ranked higher on my board than where I picked him, so I thought the value was good.

In round 2 I was looking for the best value I could get from any of the following positions: OG, OT, ILB, DT and WR. Indy nabbed Cody Whitehair, the guard from Kanas right before me, so I was left scrabbling for a moment until I found that Tyler Boyd, the WR from Pittsburgh (and a first rounder on many mocks) was still available... So his name was on the card. The hope is that he'll develop into a decent #2 WR in the Buffalo offense. Robert Woods has the talent but just has not done enough as the second WR for Buffalo.

I think round 3 was my best round when it came to value... Kentrell Brothers the ILB from Missouri was sitting there, and he combined terrific value (I had him as the 2nd best ILB) and could help fill an immediate need on the Buffalo defense.

In round 4 I was again looking for a pick that combined value while filling a team need– and there was Christian Westerman, the guard from Arizona St. He's a bit undersized but is extremely strong. I envision him competing immediately at the RG spot and could potentially fill in at center.

Well that's it...

Brothers was a fantastic pick. I had him as the 3rd 4-3 SLB. I was going to take him at 86, even though the Vikings have Anthony Barr. Just great value.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

Well that's it...

Brothers in the 3rd is a steal. Nice job.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Cleveland Browns:

#2 - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St.

The rest of the draft doesn't even matter.

The best any of us serfs can hope to do is to honorably come in second place as the runner up to Your Highness.