2016 MLB Season Thread

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Sunday starts the real games! we got Cards-Pirates and Mets-Royals...followed of course by "Opening Day" on Monday.......Who yall got as World series picks this year?

Im goin with my Rangers and the Cubs.....it's not who Id hope to play in the WS if we get there again, because Ive always like the Cubs casually and I do wanna see them break the curse, but not if theyre playin us obviously.....Anyway, GO RANGERS!!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NL East Champs - Washington
NL Central Champs - Chicago
NL West Champs -San Francisco
Wildcard #1 - New York Mets
Wildcard #2 - St. Louis

AL East Champs - Toronto
AL Central Champs - Detroit
AL West Champs - Houston
Wildcard #1 - Texas
Wildcard #2 - KC

From there, we'll see what happens...

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
NL East Champs - Washington
NL Central Champs - Chicago
NL West Champs -San Francisco
Wildcard #1 - New York Mets
Wildcard #2 - St. Louis

AL East Champs - BALTIMORE
AL Central Champs - Detroit
AL West Champs - Houston
Wildcard #1 - Texas
Wildcard #2 - KC

From there, we'll see what happens...

FIFY :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No staff of Palmer, Cuellar, Dobson and McNally for sure

What a stunning starting 4. The Orioles knew how to put together a starting staff in the 70's.

The Yankee rotations even during the good years of the 70's were two guys and then a couple "meh" starters... The bullpen made up for a lot of shortcomings.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
What a stunning starting 4. The Orioles knew how to put together a starting staff in the 70's.

The Yankee rotations even during the good years of the 70's were two guys and then a couple "meh" starters... The bullpen made up for a lot of shortcomings.

Those 4 20 game winners were before my time. I started out with Palmer, Flanagan, McGregor and Denny Martinez. Then Steve Stone had a great year in 1980. I remember Catfish Hunter and then when Ron Guidry came up for the Yankees. And of course Sparky Lyle and Goose.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those 4 20 game winners were before my time. I started out with Palmer, Flanagan, McGregor and Denny Martinez. Then Steve Stone had a great year in 1980. I remember Catfish Hunter and then when Ron Guidry came up for the Yankees. And of course Sparky Lyle and Goose.

So how much better would the Orioles be now with Jake Arrieta?

One of the worst MLB trades over the last decade.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
So how much better would the Orioles be now with Jake Arrieta?

One of the worst MLB trades over the last decade.

If he had pitched like that in Baltimore he would still be there. Palmer said for years he had great stuff but needed to get it together to be successful. He actually said he had some of the best stuff he had ever seen. To be honest most O's fans were happy to see him go at the time. Looking back its a shame, but he never did anything much for years in Baltimore even tho he had the talent. Im sure a lotta Texas fans feel the same when they look at Chris Davis. Why didnt he do that here when he had the chance?

Some guys need a change for stuff to click it seems. Or maybe they realize its time to get it together. Or maybe they are more relaxed and the pressure is off.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

Here's a ball signed by all four guys. Up for auction opening bid at $300

http://i1147.***BLOCKED***/albums/o552/weams/IMG_1930.jpg http://i1147.***BLOCKED***/albums/o552/weams/IMG_1933.jpg http://i1147.***BLOCKED***/albums/o552/weams/IMG_1932%201.jpg http://i1147.***BLOCKED***/albums/o552/weams/IMG_1931.jpg

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Ive got a ball with 3 of the 4 who signed it. All 4 were doing a show but Dave McNally couldnt attend because his wife was sick. Palmer is the only still living.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ive got a ball with 3 of the 4 who signed it. All 4 were doing a show but Dave McNally couldnt attend because his wife was sick. Palmer is the only still living.

One of the very interesting Yankee seasons was '74. The initial pieces of the championship teams was starting to come together. Bill Virdon did a fine job managing the Yankees to a 2nd place finish, two games behind Baltimore.

The interesting thing was by that point Pat Dobson had been traded to New York and in '74 BOTH he and "Doc" Medich finished 19-15 on the season.

How odd is that? Each guy has 34 decisions (an unheard amount by today's standards) and each ends up with the same record.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
One of the very interesting Yankee seasons was '74. The initial pieces of the championship teams was starting to come together. Bill Virdon did a fine job managing the Yankees to a 2nd place finish, two games behind Baltimore.

The interesting thing was by that point Pat Dobson had been traded to New York and in '74 BOTH he and "Doc" Medich finished 19-15 on the season.

How odd is that? Each guy has 34 decisions (an unheard amount by today's standards) and each ends up with the same record.

Back when they had 4 in the rotation and could pitch on the 4th day. Yea unusual.

Was the Dobson trade the one that brought Rick Dempsey to Baltimore? Im thinking that was later, like 75, but not sure.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back when they had 4 in the rotation and could pitch on the 4th day. Yea unusual.

Was the Dobson trade the one that brought Rick Dempsey to Baltimore? Im thinking that was later, like 75, but not sure.

From Wiki...

On November 30, 1972, he was traded to the Braves along with Davey Johnson in a five-player trade for Earl Williams. After starting the 1973 season 3-7, Dobson was sent to the Yankees on June 7 for four minor league players (none of whom panned out). Escaping Atlanta, he again blossomed and finished the season with a 9-8 record for the Yankees. Dobson started the 1974 campaign weakly, achieving only a 6-11 record by mid-season. However, Dobson anchored the Yankees' pitching staff in the second half of the season, finishing with a 19-15 record and a 3.07 ERA, the best numbers that year for a Yankee pitcher. After a slumping 11-14, 4.07 in 1975, Dobson was traded to the Indians, and recovered in 1976 with a 16-12, 3.48. After his 3-12, 6.16 record in 1977, he finished his career.
In his 11-season career Dobson had a record of 122-129, with 1301 strikeouts, a 3.54 earned run average, 74 complete games, 14 shutouts, 19 saves, and 2120 innings pitched in 414 games.

Interesting that he ended up with a losing record.

1977 was a brutal year for many pitchers.

At the time it was called "The year of the home run" the feeling is the baseball was wound tighter.

It was the year that initiated a new offensive era that (give or take a season here and there) ended just a few years ago.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
From Wiki...

On November 30, 1972, he was traded to the Braves along with Davey Johnson in a five-player trade for Earl Williams. After starting the 1973 season 3-7, Dobson was sent to the Yankees on June 7 for four minor league players (none of whom panned out). Escaping Atlanta, he again blossomed and finished the season with a 9-8 record for the Yankees. Dobson started the 1974 campaign weakly, achieving only a 6-11 record by mid-season. However, Dobson anchored the Yankees' pitching staff in the second half of the season, finishing with a 19-15 record and a 3.07 ERA, the best numbers that year for a Yankee pitcher. After a slumping 11-14, 4.07 in 1975, Dobson was traded to the Indians, and recovered in 1976 with a 16-12, 3.48. After his 3-12, 6.16 record in 1977, he finished his career.
In his 11-season career Dobson had a record of 122-129, with 1301 strikeouts, a 3.54 earned run average, 74 complete games, 14 shutouts, 19 saves, and 2120 innings pitched in 414 games.

Interesting that he ended up with a losing record.

1977 was a brutal year for many pitchers.

At the time it was called "The year of the home run" the feeling is the baseball was wound tighter.

It was the year that initiated a new offensive era that (give or take a season here and there) ended just a few years ago.

Ok. That was before my time really. I knew Davey Johnson went to Atlanta and hit a lot of homeruns. 43 in one season?

I think Rick Dempsey and Tippy Martinez were part of the same deal coming to the Orioles. I need to look it up.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Martinez was drafted by the Washington Senators in the 35th round of the 1969 amateur draft, but did not sign with the team. He began his MLB career with the New York Yankees in 1974 after signing as a free agent. On June 15, 1976, he was involved in a major trade, moving to Baltimore along with Rick Dempsey, Rudy May, Scott McGregor and Dave Pagan in exchange for Doyle Alexander, Jimmy Freeman, Elrod Hendricks, Ken Holtzman and Grant Jackson. Three of these players—Martinez, the catcher Dempsey, and the starting pitcher McGregor—were to have leading roles in the Orioles' World Championship of '83.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippy_Martinez

Dont see many trades like that anymore.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I remember as a kid Tippy was a tough autograph to get. For some reason he didnt like to sign. I have him on a ball somewhere with a bunch of different players. On that ball I prob have Jim Palmer, Rick Dempsey, Mark Belanger, Rich Dauer, Al Bumbry, maybe Kiko Garcia, and Doug DeCinces and a few others. Im thinking Pat Kelly, Scot McGregor. Don Stanhouse.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
CfH1TrpUkAA96KV.jpg

Play Ball!

CfH3qCsUEAA5pLw.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Martinez was drafted by the Washington Senators in the 35th round of the 1969 amateur draft, but did not sign with the team. He began his MLB career with the New York Yankees in 1974 after signing as a free agent. On June 15, 1976, he was involved in a major trade, moving to Baltimore along with Rick Dempsey, Rudy May, Scott McGregor and Dave Pagan in exchange for Doyle Alexander, Jimmy Freeman, Elrod Hendricks, Ken Holtzman and Grant Jackson. Three of these players—Martinez, the catcher Dempsey, and the starting pitcher McGregor—were to have leading roles in the Orioles' World Championship of '83.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippy_Martinez

Dont see many trades like that anymore.

No... you don't see many trades like that any more... especially with division foes.

Yeah Scotty McGregor was a good pitcher.

Rudy May was a decent pitcher as was Grant Jackson and Doyle Alexander, who ended up in Texas a year later.