Twitter: 2016 Pro Football HOF Finalists announced; No Cowboys

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I still hate seeing it on replays but that doesn't negate that T.O. was a Cowboy, and a great one at that. Same as Deion. Same as Haley. And should we hate Irvin because he could not keep his nose clean, literally? Everyone has baggage to some degree, but once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy.

Owens did that because he could. We had Kareem Larrimore and who knows who else covering him. Probably chattering as well.

I have never heard Owens explain why he "disrespected the star".

And I don't really care honestly.

We have Emmitt Smith and George Teague that got upset, but that game, and I remember it fairly well, was not full of chippiness mainly because we had players on our side that really did not care on a very bad team.

Reactions: BAT

John813

Reaction score
Does TO hold the record for most td catches in a single game for the Cowboys with four?

dstew60105

Reaction score
If Kurt Warner was the first overall pick in the draft at some point I'd probably say he should go in year 2, 3, or 4.

Given that he was undrafted, bagging groceries, playing Arena league, etc and then went from that to Super Bowl winning QB in his first year as a starter is probably the NFL's most miraculous story ever. He deserves to be 1st ballot.

Totally agree on Warner. However, last year was his first ballot. Shocked he wasn't voted in. Hopefully that's corrected this year.

landroverking

Reaction score
If Kurt Warner was the first overall pick in the draft at some point I'd probably say he should go in year 2, 3, or 4.

Given that he was undrafted, bagging groceries, playing Arena league, etc and then went from that to Super Bowl winning QB in his first year as a starter is probably the NFL's most miraculous story ever. He deserves to be 1st ballot.

Already missed that chance.
He didn't make it last year, his first.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Favre is definitely a lock this year but TO may have to wait a year with his ME attitude and team cancer reputation. All it takes is one committee member not to like you to keep you out of the HOF.

cej757

Reaction score
Well, then, no Cowboys, just cancel the HOF game and enshrinement then....lol....

Players don't really go in as representing a team. Though we as fans all recognize players on teams they played the most with.
But there are those players on multiple teams and had impacts more on some than others.

As everyone knows the
Triplets are Cowboys. The 70's Steeelrs are known as Steelers. That is accepted.
But what about players like TO, Haley, PrimeTime.
We as Cowobys fans can count them as representing us. But SF fans can think that of Haley, Falcon for PrimeTime.
Though Haley had 3 SBs with us, Deion had 1. Same with SF for die on but only played 1 year. But if they want to say they go in as a member of their team so be it, they have that right, as we do too.

Sitka is known for being the Bears, as a player and a coach, but don't forget his impact here as a coach under Landry as a player too, before he went to coach the Bears.
But most will consider him as a Bear in the HOF. Which is fine.

I will count Deion and Haley as a Cowboys, but not so much TO., well, not as much.

Ditka wants no part of the Cowboys after Jerry came in and fired Landry.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Totally agree on Warner. However, last year was his first ballot. Shocked he wasn't voted in. Hopefully that's corrected this year.

Not surprised he wasn't a first ballot Hall of Famer because he was a late bloomer who didn't accumulate the all-time numbers. Warner ranks 36th on the all-time passing list. He only had a few seasons where he played outstanding football but he's one of the only QBs to lead 2 different teams to the SB and he holds the 3 top passing performances (yards) in the SB. He won a SB and a league MVP and led one of the great offenses in NFL history the Greatest Show on Turf. There's no doubt he'll get into the HOF his career and story are worthy of it and he's well liked. If he doesn't get in this year it will be soon.

Last edited:

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Actually Owens did explain the reasoning of "disrespecting the star". Actually the WR coach at San Fran did; didn't even come from Owens. Leading up to the match against Dallas during film study someone asked why there was a hole in the stadium and the coach explained that this was considered "Gods team" with Landry and all those folks (I'm paraphrasing of course). So someone in the meeting said that whoever scores should go to the middle of the field and give God thanks.

Owens scored and that's all he was doing. But Emmitt took it the wrong way. So because Emmit made thT statement TO took it upon himself and told JJ Stokes "if I score again I'm going right back over there".

The reason for George Teague has an explanation and this came from Owens but the visual evidence exists. Before Owens scored again there was a play where Owens was in on a running play and literally pancakes George Teague. Teague threw a punch and was grabbing Owens leg because he was pissed bout getting pancaked. So when Owens went to the star a second time Teague came in and nailed Owens. But he wasn't "defending the star" he was just pissed that he got manhandled by Owens a couple plays before. The refs had to separate Teague and Owens too to further validate the fact that he was upset.

Anyway I'm happy for TO and hope he gets in as a first ballot.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Actually Owens did explain the reasoning of "disrespecting the star". Actually the WR coach at San Fran did; didn't even come from Owens. Leading up to the match against Dallas during film study someone asked why there was a hole in the stadium and the coach explained that this was considered "Gods team" with Landry and all those folks (I'm paraphrasing of course). So someone in the meeting said that whoever scores should go to the middle of the field and give God thanks.

You can blame the coach for not realizing Owens was a big enough *** to actually do it, but I can't imagine anyone else in that meeting took him seriously.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was hosed, again. I seriously think it's a Jerry influence thing because this is now bordering on ridiculous.

The big sticking point with Jimmy was he wasn't around long enough only coaching 9 years in the NFL and although he built a dynasty in Dallas he took off before it finished it's reign.