News: 2016 Will Be A Test Of Cowboys’ Approach To Building A Roster

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
My argument was more for it was said "holes" I can agree with you all the way that the depth is weak. But not many teams IMO have 2 Sean Lee's or 2 McLains to fill right in. My biggest argument is we arent that bad at depth if those players are not suspended

I said before the draft that DAL did a good job of filling any glaring holes....they brought in Thornton and Mayowa to replace Hayden and Selvie....they brought back RMcClain and Wliber.....they signed Claiborne and Heath and even signed Looney and Brown for the OL....they brought back Hanna and signed AMorris at RB...

The only hole was QB2 but I really thought we would get Goff, Wentz or Lynch in the draft....that is why they were able to go EE and JSmith when the draft went against us for QBs and DEs....then they got Collins and Tapper for the DL and Dak for QB3

The suspensions obviously hurt and we don't need any more injuries but getting Romo, Dez and Scandrick back and drafting EE should be huge

CCBoy

Reaction score
But we don't need DTs, especially 3 techs, to occupy offensive linemen. The Cowboys need pass rush from every DL position on this very inexperienced unit. This is not a Parcells 3-4 where the 3 DL occupy OL, while bringing heat from the edges (OLB). Marinelli does not believe in the planet theory, he prefers his DL to be as explosive as possible, to the point that he will bring in oversized DE/undersized DTs at 3 tech and even at the 1 tech.

There are some good NFL defenses that rely on inside pressure to get to an opposing quarterback. Dallas has the talent inside, to do just this. Right now, this depends a ton on just how well Crawford does in the interior. Both Crawford and Thornton should provide an across the board pressure. I would put Lawrence up as an important piece on the outside...already. Four games, I can live with that.

On the defensive line, I think this group will hold up to setting the outside and be good against the run. There is size in the interior of the defensive line, and good speed/size on the outside.

Defensive Tackles:

Cedric Thornton 6-4 309
Tyrone Crawford 6-4 285
Terrell McClain 6-2 302
Maliek Collins 6-3 311

Defensive Ends:

Demarcus Lawrence 6-3 265
Benson Mayowa 6-3 250
David Irving 6-7 273
Ryan Russell 6-5 267
Charles Tapper 6-2 271

* Randy Gregory 6-5 250

Lawrence is the 'stud' of this group...at present.

Oh, and to those hyping Hardy from last season...he missed the first four games then, as well.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
There are some good NFL defenses that rely on inside pressure to get to an opposing quarterback. Dallas has the talent inside, to do just this. Right now, this depends a ton on just how well Crawford does in the interior. Both Crawford and Thornton should provide an across the board pressure. I would put Lawrence up as an important piece on the outside...already. Four games, I can live with that.

On the defensive line, I think this group will hold up to setting the outside and be good against the run. There is size in the interior of the defensive line, and good speed/size on the outside.

Defensive Tackles:

Cedric Thornton 6-4 309
Tyrone Crawford 6-4 285
Terrell McClain 6-2 302
Maliek Collins 6-3 311

Defensive Ends:

Demarcus Lawrence 6-3 265
Benson Mayowa 6-3 250
David Irving 6-7 273
Ryan Russell 6-5 267
Charles Tapper 6-2 271

* Randy Gregory 6-5 250

Lawrence is the 'stud' of this group...at present.

Oh, and to those hyping Hardy from last season...he missed the first four games then, as well.

Cowboys are still undersized if the goal is to occupy blockers, especially on the inside. Marinelli employs a one gap scheme primarily so the goal, especially at 3 tech, is to penetrate quickly to disrupt play pressure the passer. Not sure where the Greg Hardy shot came from, especially when Randy Gregory is likely to miss the entire season and DLaw is definitely going to miss 4 games. Missing 4 games plus no one to create one on ones for him on the opposite side, DLaw is going to have a challenge to match his career sacks of 8 from last season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys are still undersized if the goal is to occupy blockers, especially on the inside. Marinelli employs a one gap scheme primarily so the goal, especially at 3 tech, is to penetrate quickly to disrupt play pressure the passer. Not sure where the Greg Hardy shot came from, especially when Randy Gregory is likely to miss the entire season and DLaw is definitely going to miss 4 games. Missing 4 games plus no one to create one on ones for him on the opposite side, DLaw is going to have a challenge to match his career sacks of 8 from last season.

If one can't keep up with what another says...there isn't even a discussion. Only a repeat of points that are not allowed to be challenged and selected in abstract.

In theory, one just can't go for much of a game, 'shooting' the gaps. There has to be strength, power, and size to accompany the mobility. Even in a scheme such as Marinelli's.

Take what was presented: Thornton, Crawford, and Lawrence. He is only gone for four games. (just like the presence of Hardy was missing for last season) Try to follow a discussion...

But the three listed players, above, provide a stable platform to add a single player to...and be stable.

For the non-following attention deficit, just a SINGLE player has to step up. The depth is solid for rotation purposes.

Again providing a list from ABOVE: I feel one from this list will step up and be solid on the outside as well -

Benson Mayowa 6-3 250
David Irving 6-7 273
Ryan Russell 6-5 267
Charles Tapper 6-2 271

*(if no one steps up by the end of Training Camp, the Cowboys will bring in some Veteran-not a function of higher math at all)

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If one can't keep up with what another says...there isn't even a discussion. Only a repeat of points that are not allowed to be challenged and selected in abstract.

In theory, one just can't go for much of a game, 'shooting' the gaps. There has to be strength, power, and size to accompany the mobility. Even in a scheme such as Marinelli's.

Take what was presented: Thornton, Crawford, and Lawrence. He is only gone for four games. (just like the presence of Hardy was missing for last season) Try to follow a discussion...

But the three listed players, above, provide a stable platform to add a single player to...and be stable.

For the non-following attention deficit, just a SINGLE player has to step up. The depth is solid for rotation purposes.

Again providing a list from ABOVE: I feel one from this list will step up and be solid on the outside as well -

Benson Mayowa 6-3 250
David Irving 6-7 273
Ryan Russell 6-5 267
Charles Tapper 6-2 271

You are a guy, like me, who understands and lived the motto "Freedom isn't Free". But if you are going to patronize me, then be prepared to get it back. You are incorrect on your SINGLE guy theory. The ENTIRE unit has to step up. This DL is not just ONE unknown exploding out of nowhere for the team to field a championship contender. You can list all these unproven guys ad nauseum, this is the NFL, having a DT and/or a DE "step up" and be "solid" is not enough, if the goal is to win in the postseason.

Even if ONE guy explodes for double digit sacks, it means nothing unless the D can get off the field. That means the DL has to put constant and consistent pressure on opposing offenses, not just be stable. Thornton has fewer than 5 sacks his entire career, DLaw is coming off a back injury in addition to his suspension of 4 games and Crawford is a gamer, love his passion, but he's always dinged up. This is your stable platform?

Love Irving and this is the guy who gives me the most hope. He reminds me so much of Leon Lett, but even Big Cat didn't generate double digit sacks in any season of his career. Mayowa, Russell, Tapper, McAdoo, Jenkins and even Gregory are all kids, and they are raw, raw, raw. Like you, I want a miracle to occur with one of these guys but unlike you I also understand that if Cowboys really are invested in winning while Romo can still play, then they need to INVEST in some proven and productive players. You don't take a new recruits into battle and expect them to singlehandedly win a war. You need to make sure the supply lines are secure, air support is available and some proven first shirts in your unit to guide the kids (or kick their ace). Otherwise all your talk of winning is Bravo Sierra.

Errr

CCBoy

Reaction score
You are a guy, like me, who understands and lived the motto "Freedom isn't Free". But if you are going to patronize me, then be prepared to get it back. You are incorrect on your SINGLE guy theory. The ENTIRE unit has to step up. This DL is not just ONE unknown exploding out of nowhere for the team to field a championship contender. You can list all these unproven guys ad nauseum, this is the NFL, having a DT and/or a DE "step up" and be "solid" is not enough, if the goal is to win in the postseason.

Even if ONE guy explodes for double digit sacks, it means nothing unless the D can get off the field. That means the DL has to put constant and consistent pressure on opposing offenses, not just be stable. Thornton has fewer than 5 sacks his entire career, DLaw is coming off a back injury in addition to his suspension of 4 games and Crawford is a gamer, love his passion, but he's always dinged up. This is your stable platform?

Love Irving and this is the guy who gives me the most hope. He reminds me so much of Leon Lett, but even Big Cat didn't generate double digit sacks in any season of his career. Mayowa, Russell, Tapper, McAdoo, Jenkins and even Gregory are all kids, and they are raw, raw, raw. Like you, I want a miracle to occur with one of these guys but unlike you I also understand that if Cowboys really are invested in winning while Romo can still play, then they need to INVEST in some proven and productive players. You don't take a new recruits into battle and expect them to singlehandedly win a war. You need to make sure the supply lines are secure, air support is available and some proven first shirts in your unit to guide the kids (or kick their ace). Otherwise all your talk of winning is Bravo Sierra.

Errr

Christ, guy...there is a starting point for observation of strength. Three strong candidates for the front four, at the start of camp...is a stone to build upon.

If a discussion is pursued, discuss content.

There is a likelihood of another one or two defensive ends to stand up.

This article, OP, was about this being a make or break season for Jason Garrett and the concept of building through a draft...primarily.

The team has judiciously gone to the draft to build from. Both of the past two drafts have been targeted at the defensive side of the ball.

Value has also been applied at the tops of drafts as well. Lawrence, Gregory, Jones, Smith...Tapper, Russell, Collins...Hitchens, Wilson, Frazier, and Anthony Brown...all have been added.

If one doesn't want to acknowledge that in that group are some real and developing talent...then stick in the zone of discontent.

That doesn't remove that this season will serve as a huge indicator. If the needle isn't pointing up at it's conclusion, the both Marrinelli and Garrett will be gone!

I think that one more defensively heavy draft, and this team is set...and still under both Marinelli and Garrett.

But I'm not plugging into some abstract 3 of 4 or top league producer. Matter of fact, Sean Lee and Orlando Scandrick are the heart of this defense. They will be aided by Jones, Claiborne, Carr, Hitchens, Lawrence, and someone that will rise to the opportunity. That actually is a significant group there...but more talent is on the roster as well.

I'm not about to take a yoke of attitude of disappointment as any type of progressive view of this team. Last season ended in January...and one has to look to change, just to keep up with the rotation of new teams that use just those kind of opportunities to become contenders in their own right.

This team is young and it is hungry...and I don't think as far as a pass rush, expecting a single defensive end to stand up to opportunity is that big of a gamble.

The past be damned, until opportunity is played out in the here and now.

As to Bravo Sierra, Forged in Fire was our motto in the 3rd ACR in Desert Storm...not a chest full of Audie Murphy medals.

It Shall be Done...as you were.

To the point, this is NOW, exciting times...go figure, pass rush/failure...NAW I'm not plugging into that venue of gloom..all players they brought in are good athletes.

Me, I'm calling Irving as a starter for the start of the regular season, at defensive end. Oh yea, and sharpen the corner.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
As to linebackers, I'd pay attention to how well Sean Lee and Anthony Hitchens work together. They likely will be the two on field during packages...which end up being the majority of plays.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Despite years of evidence to the contrary, the perception remains among the poorly informed that Jerry Jones makes all the meaningful decisions concerning the Dallas Cowboys roster. This includes having a puppet for a head coach. But those who have been paying attention realize that Jason Garrett is anything but that, and is the primary architect of the underlying philosophy followed by the team, including the approach used to acquire players.

:laugh:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I said before the draft that DAL did a good job of filling any glaring holes....they brought in Thornton and Mayowa to replace Hayden and Selvie....they brought back RMcClain and Wliber.....they signed Claiborne and Heath and even signed Looney and Brown for the OL....they brought back Hanna and signed AMorris at RB...

The only hole was QB2 but I really thought we would get Goff, Wentz or Lynch in the draft....that is why they were able to go EE and JSmith when the draft went against us for QBs and DEs....then they got Collins and Tapper for the DL and Dak for QB3

The suspensions obviously hurt and we don't need any more injuries but getting Romo, Dez and Scandrick back and drafting EE should be huge

Never filled the hole at DE. Never should've resigned McClain and found a new mlb. 2 fails I don't like.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Never filled the hole at DE. Never should've resigned McClain and found a new mlb. 2 fails I don't like.

DE starters were Gregory and DLawrence...backups Russell, Crawford, Irving, Mayowa

you didn't like the choices but they made moves to fill any holes

CCBoy

Reaction score
DE starters were Gregory and DLawrence...backups Russell, Crawford, Irving, Mayowa

you didn't like the choices but they made moves to fill any holes

Who you expecting to start for the first four games?

I'm thinking Irving and Russell.

I'm also thinking that Irving will remain a starter following the return of Lawrence.

CCBoy

Reaction score

:muttley: There is a football side and a franchise side...Jason Garrett has been given directional controls of football operations. If there is a toss up between coaches/scouts...then, Jerry can decide based upon what is presented. Stephen oversees his father on football issues...and has inforce cash flow in the cap, for highly talented players. What worked in the offensive line, should also show strong results in the defense. Offense is primary in Dallas, and is given that edge in selection processes. But all under control of Jason Garrett.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Who you expecting to start for the first four games?

I'm thinking Irving and Russell.

I'm also thinking that Irving will remain a starter following the return of Lawrence.

I think the 4 just rotate.......Russell, Irving, JCrawford, Mayowa + DLaw after Week 4

inside it would be.....TCrawford, Collins, Thornton, McClain

ps- forgot all about Tapper....he will be in rotation and maybe move Irving inside over McClain

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think the 4 just rotate.......Russell, Irving, JCrawford, Mayowa + DLaw after Week 4

inside it would be.....TCrawford, Collins, Thornton, McClain

ps- forgot all about Tapper....he will be in rotation and maybe move Irving inside over McClain

The rotation aspect will prove necessary to make it through games and the season...lol

CCBoy

Reaction score

Sometimes, during training camp, a reporter will read more into a rotational snapshot, than is earned yet...

The Exhibition Games will tell more, as to the rotational group. Injury and suspension will determine the actual starters when the whistle blows for real.