Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Five risers from Kiper

i

D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
Kiper's position rank before the combine: No. 5

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Moore was the most impressive wide receiver in Indianapolis, putting up a 4.42 40-yard dash and 11-foot broad jump and showing his ability as a smooth pass-catcher in drills. He ranked among the top receivers in almost every athletic test. Moore, who had 80 catches for 1,033 yards last season, really pops on the Maryland tape. His 483 yards after the catch ranked 14th in the country. I thought Moore was a Day 2 pick coming into the combine, but he has moved into the first-round discussion.

Draft projection: Late first or early second round

i

Shaquem Griffin, LB/DB, Central Florida

Kiper's position rank before the combine: Not in top 10

Griffin is a great story, and he's a legitimate NFL prospect. You know by now that he had his left hand amputated when he was 4, and he went on to have a great career as a relentless edge defender for the Knights (13.5 tackles for loss in 2017). Then he went out and bench-pressed 225 pounds 20 times with a prosthesis on his arm at the combine, and followed that up with a 4.38 40, which was the fastest time for a linebacker in more than a decade. Now, he's undersized for a linebacker at 6-0, 227, so he's going to have to make his way as a nickel rusher and special-teams demon, and he will go through defensive back drills at his pro day. But if I were a general manager, I'd want him on my team. He was probably a sixth- or seventh-round pick before the combine, but he's moving up on Day 3.

Draft projection: Fourth or fifth round

i

Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
Kiper's position rank before the combine: No. 4

Gesicki opened some eyes with his numbers. The 6-5, 247-pounder had a 41.5-inch vertical, 4.54 40 and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump, all of which ranked No. 1 at his position. Those are wide receiver numbers. Now, Gesicki wasn't asked to block much for the Nittany Lions, as he had 57 catches and nine touchdowns last season. He has the athleticism and skill set of a big slot receiver. Will a team that thinks it can teach him to be a better blocker like him enough to snag him on Day 1? Top-ranked tight end Dallas Goedert didn't go through testing because of a hamstring injury, and Gesicki is moving up the board.

i

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
Kiper's position rank before the combine: No. 8

I wrote before the combine that Alexander could be a star slot corner, and he's going to rise after his 4.38 40. Now, he came in a little smaller (5-10) than he was listed (5-11), so he doesn't have ideal size for a first-round corner. But he's versatile enough on defense and special teams -- he could be an NFL team's punt returner on day one -- to be in the conversation for cornerback-needy teams. There are several cornerbacks fighting for the spot after Denzel Ward, the top player at the position, and Alexander, who had five interceptions in 2016 before missing six games with injuries last season, is right there.

Draft projection: Late first round

i

Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
Kiper's position rank before the combine: No. 6

As in the cornerback class, there are several running backs fighting for the No. 2 spot behind Penn State's Saquon Barkley. Chubb's testing numbers at 5-11, 227 have moved him up a little bit. He had a great college career -- 48 total touchdowns and 4,769 rushing yards over four seasons -- but scouts were concerned he had lost some explosiveness after a severe knee injury in the middle of the 2015 season. Chubb, however, put up a 38.5-inch vertical and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump and ran a 4.52 40, all of which are excellent for his size. He has moved from a third- or fourth-round pick into the early Day 2 range.

Draft projection: Second round

--

Five risers from McShay

i

D.J. Chark, WR, LSU
Scouts Inc. position rank before the combine: No. 8

Chark really helped his cause with a terrific workout in Indy, building on his great showing during Senior Bowl week. Chark's 4.34 40-yard dash was tops among wide receivers, and his 40-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump were both elite. He's an underrated talent who didn't get enough targets in a QB-deficient LSU offense during his career. He's in the mix to be one of the top five wideouts off the board, probably early in Day 2.

i

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
Scouts Inc. position rank before the combine: No. 5

Sutton's workout flew under the radar because he ran a 4.54 in the 40, but that's a really good time for a 6-3, 218-pound receiver. What really stood out to me, though, was his change-of-direction skills in the three-cone drill and short shuttle. His times of 6.57 seconds in the three-cone and 4.11 in the shuttle are just stupid fast for a receiver his size. There is still some inconsistency on tape, but there's no denying his raw ability. I'd be surprised if he got out of the top 50 picks.

i

Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State
Scouts Inc. position rank before the combine: No. 2

Vander Esch had a great combine, showing off the athleticism that I saw on tape. He posted a ridiculous three-cone drill time of 6.88 and an elite 4.65 40-yard dash, numbers that indicate he's capable of rushing the passer off the edge. A very good 20-yard shuttle time of 4.15 (which has the strongest correlation to NFL success at inside linebacker of all these drills) and an elite 10-foot, 4-inch broad jump and 39.5-inch vertical were the cherries on top.

i

Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia
Scouts Inc. position rank before the combine: No. 6

I thought Carter had a nice combine, with a 4.50 in the 40 and outstanding jumps (10 feet, 10 inches in broad jump and a 36-inch vertical). I was a little disappointed that he chose not to run the three-cone drill (most telling drill for edge rushers), but we'll see him run it at Georgia's pro day. There's a lot of buzz around him, and I wouldn't be shocked if he sneaks into the first round in April.

i

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
Scouts Inc. position rank before the combine: No. 4

Bryan's explosiveness stood out on tape, and his workout matched the film. His first step on tape looks like he's shot out of a cannon, and his 1.69 10-yard split in a 4.98 40 confirmed it. The top two drills that correlate to NFL success for defensive tackles are vertical jump (38 inches) and 20-yard shuttle (4.48), and Bryan had elite results in both drills. I think he's a 3-technique in the NFL and a top-50 pick for scheme-appropriate teams.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Im starting to wonder if Penn St hasnt developed some hard to detect PED.
All their guys set new records personal records

Barkley
Gesicki
Now this guy

Same stuff the UConn DBs are on?

Everyone knew Barkley was going to do crazy stuff, but Gesicki's workout was like a bolt from the blue. That's got to be something.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Agree with all those, especially Kiper's 5.

Two of my pets cats mentioned, DJ Moore and Taven Bryan.

@Risen Star must be conflicted now. He doesn't like Griffin but his personal god and savior Mel is saying nice things about him. Mel also praised a ..gulp..cornerback.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wait. I thought Hernandez was the rock star of the combine, cementing himself in the same breath as Q Nelson?

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Perf
Good. Let him drop to 19 so we can not draft him and complain about it when he is one of the best DL in the game come 2 years from now.
Perfect storm right there, saw some talking head say that if Cowboys somehow took Vea, Both Lawrence and Collins would make the pro-bowl this year, and the team would have like 42 sacks. : )
(And I'd still take Payne, but that's the fanboy in me).

Bigdog

Reaction score
Heard where Carter and Roquan Smith were medical red flag at the Combine. I think it had something to do with their shoulders but do not know the extent.

Carson

Reaction score
Purdue LB T.J. McCollum met with the Dallas Cowboys during the school's pro day.

McCollum (6'1/236) is on the draft fringe and did not receive an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine, making this week's pro day a matter of huge importance for the linebacker. In testing, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds, the three-cone drill in 7.10 seconds and the 20-yard shuttle in 4.40 seconds. The undersized Boilermaker also posted a respectable enough vertical jump of 34 inches and a broad jump of 108 inches. While none of these testing results are mind-blowing, McCollum probably did enough to hang around the late Day 3 conversation.