2018 Free Agency Will Be Important

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm usually not someone who says to go big in FA, but this potential group of FA holds a lot of talent.

Backup QB: Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Teddy Bridgewater, Blaine Gabbert

Wide Receiver: Alshon Jefferey, Eric Decker, Taylor Gabriel, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Martavis Bryant, Donte Moncrief

Tight End: Jimmy Graham, Zach Miller, Tyler Eifert, Niles Paul

Defensive Line: Dontari Poe, Ezekiel Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Shariff Floyd

Cornerback: Trumaine Johnson, Vontae Davis, Malcolm Butler, Kyle Fuller

Safety: There is a whole crap ton of safeties we will be able to choose from, so I won't list them all here. But it's the one position I feel confident we can clean up in this FA.

Obviously, not all of these players will make it to FA. However, a lot of them will. If there is any year to go big in FA and sign a couple pricey players, I think it's in 2018.

Sydla

Reaction score
Their FA plan is fine. They'll ignore most of the names above, hit the sale rack, draft come kids and hope that fills all the holes immediately.

If it doesn't work...... wash, rinse and repeat.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Their FA plan is fine. They'll ignore most of the names above, hit the sale rack, draft come kids and hope that fills all the holes immediately.

You stop it right now.

We must get better. We can't be stupid enough to not address this defense.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Sad but true, and fans will say we'll be just fine.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Franchise Lawrence,Give me Ziggy Ansah and Morgan Burnett draft the best LB available.

LDE-Lawrence,Crawford
DT-Collins,Neal
DT-Irving, (Draft)
RDE-Ansah,Charlton

WLB-Lee,?
MLB-Draft(1st),Smith
SLB-Hitchens,Wilson

CB-Lewis,Brown
CB-Jones,White
SCB-Scandrick

FS-Awuzie,Woods
SS-Burnett,?, Heath

superonyx

Reaction score
Here is the rule you need to go by when it comes to free agency and the dallas cowboys...

If you have ever heard any good things about the player then we will brand him as a bad value and instead spend the resources on the annual NFL gamble known as the draft.

Remember drafting jump man Byron Jones after saying All Pro Eric Weddle was too expensive?

Wood

Reaction score
I'm usually not someone who says to go big in FA, but this potential group of FA holds a lot of talent.

Backup QB: Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Teddy Bridgewater, Blaine Gabbert

Wide Receiver: Alshon Jefferey, Eric Decker, Taylor Gabriel, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Martavis Bryant, Donte Moncrief

Tight End: Jimmy Graham, Zach Miller, Tyler Eifert, Niles Paul

Defensive Line: Dontari Poe, Ezekiel Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Shariff Floyd

Cornerback: Trumaine Johnson, Vontae Davis, Malcolm Butler, Kyle Fuller

Safety: There is a whole crap ton of safeties we will be able to choose from, so I won't list them all here. But it's the one position I feel confident we can clean up in this FA.

Obviously, not all of these players will make it to FA. However, a lot of them will. If there is any year to go big in FA and sign a couple pricey players, I think it's in 2018.

I am not spending any money on backup QB. Dak has been bent like pretzel and still bounces up. Have few years until we seriously need to consider back up QB.

Team needs these positions upgrade:
1. LG. Neither Cooper or Green are answer. Need FA or drafted player to start here next year.
2. DE. Need atleast 1 FA signed here and probably draft another one to compensate for miss on Gregory.
3. DT. Malik is not getting it done at most important position on D the 3-tech. Use another pick here.
4. LB. Really concerned about LB outside of Lee (who will be 33 next year).

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Got about 18 million available for next year. That includes dead money for Thorton(2.5) , Caroll (2.0), and Romo (8.0). Caroll and Thorton count 4.5 million against our cap NEXT year. Dez will count 16.5 million hmm, and Tyrone Crawford 9.5 million hmm ?

The 18 million is without the new adjusted budget...and without any restructures. If you franchise Lawrence that takes 17 million with restructures ,cuts , etc we could expect to have maybe 10-15 million after franchising Lawrence.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
That fa class is terrible. Esp the WRs. Jeffrey is another Dez. Martavis is a weed head. Matthews isn't good. You really thought this was a good thread? Lol

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That fa class is terrible. Esp the WRs. Jeffrey is another Dez. Martavis is a weed head. Matthews isn't good. You really thought this was a good thread? Lol

Ah, I love when I blow people out to the point that they reach in every thread with a "gotcha!" - you're still hurting from the burns.

While it would be nice to find a #1 in FA, we should be looking for a viable #2. Are these players better than T-Will and Brice Butler? If yes, there is value here. "Matthews isn't good" - Wew great analysis, bob.

There's also some good defensive players there, especially for corner, defensive line, and safety. We cannot fill these holes completely in the draft.

Now, try again, and this time put your emotion from the trauma I caused you months back away and let's try having a discussion. ;)

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Ah, I love when I blow people out to the point that they reach in every thread with a "gotcha!" - you're still hurting from the burns.

While it would be nice to find a #1 in FA, we should be looking for a viable #2. Are these players better than T-Will and Brice Butler? If yes, there is value here. "Matthews isn't good" - Wew great analysis, bob.

There's also some good defensive players there, especially for corner, defensive line, and safety. We cannot fill these holes completely in the draft.

Now, try again, and this time put your emotion from the trauma I caused you months back away and let's try having a discussion. ;)
I'm not mad at you, you act like I'm in here cursing and calling you names emotionally. It's not that serious. But I do think you make bad threads. (Shrugs)

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm not mad at you, you act like I'm in here cursing and calling you names emotionally. It's not that serious. But I do think you make bad threads. (Shrugs)

Of course you are. You hold a grudge because you couldn't keep up in the past (by the way, how is Smith and Collins looking?)

Now, you can start to truly contribute, but this time, handle the loss better.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Of course you are. You hold a grudge because you couldn't keep up in the past (by the way, how is Smith and Collins looking?)

Now, you can start to truly contribute, but this time, handle the loss better.
lol I don't remember the past debate honestly but ok. I already contributed by saying the FA class is terrible. Nothing else needs to be said. The cb list sucks too. Johnson isn't worth too cb money, Davis is washed up, etc etc

mattjames2010

Reaction score
lol I don't remember the past debate honestly but ok. I already contributed by saying the FA class is terrible. Nothing else needs to be said. The cb list sucks too. Johnson isn't worth too cb money, Davis is washed up, etc etc

Great in-depth analysis. "THEY SUCK!"

Thanks for the input.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Franchise Lawrence,Give me Ziggy Ansah and Morgan Burnett draft the best LB available.

LDE-Lawrence,Crawford
DT-Collins,Neal
DT-Irving, (Draft)
RDE-Ansah,Charlton

WLB-Lee,?
MLB-Draft(1st),Smith
SLB-Hitchens,Wilson

CB-Lewis,Brown
CB-Jones,White
SCB-Scandrick

FS-Awuzie,Woods
SS-Burnett,?, Heath
Still looks bad.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I just explained why it sucks lol. Johnson is overrated, Davis washed up. Is Belicheck coming with Butler? Kyle Fuller? Never had a full year of even decent cb play.

That's not an explanation. I think there are legit criticisms of these guys, and no one has "overrated" Johnson. Johnson isn't ranked highly, but he's an upgrade over what we have now. Scandrick is on his way out, the same with Davis. Both of these guys have at least proven to be decent to great players in the past, but you can go ahead and show me who else in FA will be better suited for a starting CB job.

What we have right now is Lewis showing upside with a lot of trash. You cannot fill these many holes on defense and offense through the draft, so stop your spouting off and think. Like many teams do YEARLY, you take chances on guys. New scenery often jumpstarts players careers - it's far better to take your chance on guys like this rather than taking a chance on no-talent scrubs and plugging them into starting jobs. Which we have done for years.

As for WRs, we won't be looking for a Julio Jones type WR, we will be looking for a viable #2. Dez isn't going anywhere, at least, for another year. So the least you can do is put a better WR or a player you think can play consistently better than Williams and Butler.

Obviously, these positions don't need to be addressed in FA. It all depends on how we look to go into the draft, so maybe we address WR in their instead. But SOME positions have to be addressed in FA, we have far too many holes not to do so. And players don't just magically appear on the FA market, you choose with what is there - the most you can do is hope for some valuable cuts at some point.

But, if I remember reading correctly, you still think our defense will turn it around LOL Even if we do somehow turn it around, we'll once again get embarrassed by Rodgers in the playoffs.

Again though, how are Smith and Collins looking? Remember when you said Collins would just dominate the RT position like he did in college? Maybe you should start listening to me when I bring up the red flags instead of being argumentative?