2018 Free Agency Will Be Important

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
That's not an explanation. I think there are legit criticisms of these guys, and no one has "overrated" Johnson. Johnson isn't ranked highly, but he's an upgrade over what we have now. Scandrick is on his way out, the same with Davis. Both of these guys have at least proven to be decent to great players in the past, but you can go ahead and show me who else in FA will be better suited for a starting CB job.

What we have right now is Lewis showing upside with a lot of trash. You cannot fill these many holes on defense and offense through the draft, so stop your spouting off and think. Like many teams do YEARLY, you take chances on guys. New scenery often jumpstarts players careers - it's far better to take your chance on guys like this rather than taking a chance on no-talent scrubs and plugging them into starting jobs. Which we have done for years.

As for WRs, we won't be looking for a Julio Jones type WR, we will be looking for a viable #2. Dez isn't going anywhere, at least, for another year. So the least you can do is put a better WR or a player you think can play consistently better than Williams and Butler.

Obviously, these positions don't need to be addressed in FA. It all depends on how we look to go into the draft, so maybe we address WR in their instead. But SOME positions have to be addressed in FA, we have far too many holes not to do so. And players don't just magically appear on the FA market, you choose with what is there - the most you can do is hope for some valuable cuts at some point.

But, if I remember reading correctly, you still think our defense will turn it around LOL Even if we do somehow turn it around, we'll once again get embarrassed by Rodgers in the playoffs.

Again though, how are Smith and Collins looking? Remember when you said Collins would just dominate the RT position like he did in college? Maybe you should start listening to me when I bring up the red flags instead of being argumentative?
I don't recall the Collins/Snith stuff but I still believe the defense will turn around. That's if jerrys big mouth doesn't make the team quit

Ashwynn

Reaction score
It dont matter whos a FA, if hes a difference maker, he aint coming to Dallas till we show the world we are legit contenders. We can lure a name or two with big dollars maybe, but that hurts us in the long run and makes little difference till the culture in Dallas changes. With most guys they want to win a championship,as well as make the money. Money alone wont sway a lot of guys if they have a chance to go to a NE or GB type team. Our persona right now is we are not a championship caliber team, a good team but we cant get it done. We have not been a championship caliber team since the early to mid 90's. Sad but True....

Hardline

Reaction score
Better off looking at the draft and low end free agents that can play special teams . This team doesn't participate in the top end of free agency.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not an explanation. I think there are legit criticisms of these guys, and no one has "overrated" Johnson. Johnson isn't ranked highly, but he's an upgrade over what we have now. Scandrick is on his way out, the same with Davis. Both of these guys have at least proven to be decent to great players in the past, but you can go ahead and show me who else in FA will be better suited for a starting CB job.

What we have right now is Lewis showing upside with a lot of trash. You cannot fill these many holes on defense and offense through the draft, so stop your spouting off and think. Like many teams do YEARLY, you take chances on guys. New scenery often jumpstarts players careers - it's far better to take your chance on guys like this rather than taking a chance on no-talent scrubs and plugging them into starting jobs. Which we have done for years.

As for WRs, we won't be looking for a Julio Jones type WR, we will be looking for a viable #2. Dez isn't going anywhere, at least, for another year. So the least you can do is put a better WR or a player you think can play consistently better than Williams and Butler.

Obviously, these positions don't need to be addressed in FA. It all depends on how we look to go into the draft, so maybe we address WR in their instead. But SOME positions have to be addressed in FA, we have far too many holes not to do so. And players don't just magically appear on the FA market, you choose with what is there - the most you can do is hope for some valuable cuts at some point.

But, if I remember reading correctly, you still think our defense will turn it around LOL Even if we do somehow turn it around, we'll once again get embarrassed by Rodgers in the playoffs.

Again though, how are Smith and Collins looking? Remember when you said Collins would just dominate the RT position like he did in college? Maybe you should start listening to me when I bring up the red flags instead of being argumentative?
The CBs will be Lewis, Awuzie and Brown.

They need other positions more than CB.

1-tech DT
LB
I think Woods might be OK at Safety.

They need a WR. They could cut Dez get more for his 12.5M salary.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The CBs will be Lewis, Awuzie and Brown.

They need other positions more than CB.

1-tech DT
LB
I think Woods might be OK at Safety.

They need a WR. They could cut Dez get more for his 12.5M salary.

And we will have one of the worst secondaries in the league again.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm usually not someone who says to go big in FA, but this potential group of FA holds a lot of talent.

Backup QB: Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Teddy Bridgewater, Blaine Gabbert

Wide Receiver: Alshon Jefferey, Eric Decker, Taylor Gabriel, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Martavis Bryant, Donte Moncrief

Tight End: Jimmy Graham, Zach Miller, Tyler Eifert, Niles Paul

Defensive Line: Dontari Poe, Ezekiel Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Shariff Floyd

Cornerback: Trumaine Johnson, Vontae Davis, Malcolm Butler, Kyle Fuller

Safety: There is a whole crap ton of safeties we will be able to choose from, so I won't list them all here. But it's the one position I feel confident we can clean up in this FA.

Obviously, not all of these players will make it to FA. However, a lot of them will. If there is any year to go big in FA and sign a couple pricey players, I think it's in 2018.
Id take Floyd on a flier to see if he is right physically. High reward if he can get back to where he was. He was a good 1 Tech that you could leave on the field on passing downs.

Marinelli DID like him. But not as a 3 Tech and not as a first rounder for what he would have been askednto do

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you will see a slight departure with Romo coming off the books. We wont go crazy, but I think you will see 1 to 2 legit starter quality FA's