2019 College Football Thread

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Baylor is outmatched. They used smoke and mirrors this year in a weak conference to get to 11 wins. They can't hang with a top SEC team

UGA is super motivated after their embarrassing sugar bowl performance against Texas last year. Kirby Smart needs to win some big games too or the fan base is going to get him booted.

Its just shocking so far b/c they are missing their 2 starting tackles who opted not to play and a bunch of other guys.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
How does Texas not win the Big 12 every year? OU and Baylor look like cream puffs.
ROFL. OU was on a down year (and still made the CFP) but they looked like a cream puff against the very best team in college football.
Guessing we see Clemson get beat fairly handily as well.
LSU is just that good.
An elite offense with arguably the best DL coach in CFB.

I am not a Longhorn fan but one can look at their situation and see they will likely be very very good going forward.
They were really talented this year but are very shallow. Over 50% of the roster are freshmen.
Herman ran off the kids form the previous regime.
Charlie Strong was a great guy but terrible identifier or developer of talent.
12 Seniors total. Crazy.

Injuries robbed them of top talent and the Tebow-esque QB wasn't good enough weekly in this era of football.
Herman is a very good recruiter which is what Texas needed. They haven't been outside the top 10 since he arrived and likely won't be.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ROFL. OU was on a down year (and still made the CFP) but they looked like a cream puff against the very best team in college football.
Guessing we see Clemson get beat fairly handily as well.
LSU is just that good.
An elite offense with arguably the best DL coach in CFB.

I am not a Longhorn fan but one can look at their situation and see they will likely be very very good going forward.
They were really talented this year but are very shallow. Over 50% of the roster are freshmen.
Herman ran off the kids form the previous regime.
Charlie Strong was a great guy but terrible identifier or developer of talent.
12 Seniors total. Crazy.

Injuries robbed them of top talent and the Tebow-esque QB wasn't good enough weekly in this era of football.
Herman is a very good recruiter which is what Texas needed. They haven't been outside the top 10 since he arrived and likely won't be.

Well, Texas probably gave LSU the toughest game this year. I'm not a Texas fan either, but after watching OU and Baylor.............

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, Texas probably gave LSU the toughest game this year. I'm not a Texas fan either, but after watching OU and Baylor.............
I agree that Texas underperformed given their talent.
But what he says is true about them purging (or players leaving) some of Strong's recruits.

Btw, I notice Rivals only has UT's class ranked 21st for 2020.
Not sure how 247 has them so high, but their "composite" ranking using a bell curve of each team's signees is a bit different.

As for early season games.
I feel sure LSU would demolish Texas now
just as sure as I am that Clemson would maul Texas A&M

Those early season games can be very misleading.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Baylor was really well coached and you saw a Bowl game that is likely Rhule's last game there.
He is almost certainly gone to a head coaching job.
That was as flat as flat can be when your program savior is bolting.

But they were no where near as talented as Georgia. Not even close.

OU was pretty good early on because they have an established offense and brought in a maxed out senior QB.
They didn't improve and actually struggled the entire second half the season as defenses saw what to take away.
I knew they'd get the brakes beaten off them by LSU.

UT lost a couple guys to injury early and they are always going to fair best versus team that wanna muscle up as they also have these 4 star kids galore.
They struggle in the B12 with getting out X'd and O'd and by every team wanting badly to knock them off.
With some added depth they'll be nasty. --If the coaching improves.

UT and OU should be in B12 title contention every year but it is a nasty conference to navigate.
Even when most teams are really like this year.
9 conf games min 4 every year on the road is tough.
Add in a 10th P5 game and that is a lot of weeks of needing to be ready to go.

UT next year plays
USF at home
LSU in Baton Rouge
UTEP (easy win)
BYE
then 9 straight weeks of conferences foes.

That's not easy to handle.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if the American Conference can end the bowl season with a whopping 4 ranked teams
Granted, they'd all be in the 17-25 range, but that would be quite the accomplishment for a "G5" league.

If Cincy wins today, I could see Memphis, UCF, Navy and Cincy all squeezing in there. Good for them

They are already possibly the 4th best baseball league, but they seem to be improving in football too. Losing UConn hurts their basketball pedigree though...even though they've dropped off the last two years.

Just some trivia.....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Did any Big 12 team win a bowl game this year?
1-5
Texas had a nice win, but the rest lost
To be fair, they did play some good competition.
But disappointing showing by that conference.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
1-5
Texas had a nice win, but the rest lost
To be fair, they did play some good competition.
But disappointing showing by that conference.

They just ain't that good. Not a defense among them.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Did any Big 12 team win a bowl game this year?
The Aggies ended up 8-5 after defeating Oklahoma which also ended at 8-5. It's always a treat watching these Bowls after the season before the long drought of no Football.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Georgia grabs another 5 star and is great position to grab 1-2 more.
Movin on up

DFWJC

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed until now, but not a bad football season for the state of Louisiana

NFL
Saints 13-3 and hosting a playoff game

College Football Bowls
LSU---in the title game and favored
La Tech---shut out Miami in their Bowl game
Tulane--currently winning their bowl game
Louisiana---favored in their bowl game

anyway, just some trivia filler that I thought was interesting.