2019 Deep Ball Project, Dak ranked 6th

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typical, still nothing of value to say about the actual article or it’s content.

..........where did I claim to comment on the article? The whole thing is a moot point. You should work on that reading comprehension issue.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I really dont understand the people who cant see that last year was what Garrett has done to every talented roster he's had. He's Mr. 8-8, with the same head scratchers as always on game day, with promising seasons going belly up.

They want to put it all on Dak but they should acknowledge that we just witnessed another team get the Garrett special.

He is the common denominator and he is gone. This is a whole new era.

2019 seemed like our *worst* year I can remember for "let's not do what works". Don't know how much of that goes to Garrett, Moore, or the RB coach.

But some of it simply stank of Garrett. The New Orleans game in particular seemed like Garrett's sphincter tightening up once we were playing a good team, and since Moore ball, passing 70% on first down, had rolled the first 3 games. Against the Saints we flipped the first down script, and doggedly ran Zeke again and again into the Saints DTs for 2 yards a pop. When we *did* pass on first down, we always succeeded. But the coaching staff failed to take the hint and pass.

How many games lost to poor coaching where offensive coaching was *sufficient* to lose the game. I count 5.

Which game was it when Fredbeard is yelling at the sidelines? We're trying to convert a 4th down with Cooper on the bench and Zeke lined up wide to run an out route? Eagles? That was big time clown show.

I invited corrections/additions. But just on the theme of offensive coaching failures.

Saints - Yes. We run and run and run on first down, while passing worked just about every time. Zeke 18 carries for 2.2 ypc.

Packers - defense

Jets - Devin Smith inactive despite all WRs injured going into the game, and Cobb already out. Austin was our leading WR. Could have used another. Also, final play for the tie, our running QB is a sitting duck in the pocket against a blitz. No real WR patters. It's Witten trying to shake man coverage.

Vikes - Another "let's run into the strength of their defense". Zeke 20 carries for 2.4 ypc. Meanwhile, passing is 8.5 ypt. Great.

Pats - Extremely crappy weather conditions. Coaching staff had yet to determine whether Dak should or shouldn't wear a glove in the rain. Dak has to decide during the game. Puts on glove in the 2nd, I believe. Perfect game for a running team with a running QB to run. The conditions were in *our* favor over Brady. We pass 33-26.
Special award to The Hoodie for totally clowning our Special Teams. He puts no punt returner, and uncovers our WR. Jones can throw. But Hoodie shuffles the defense around and we spaz and get a delay instead of a walk in TD from Jones throwing to the uncovered WR. The Hoodie was never more Jedi.

Bills - defense
Bears - defense

Eagles - Dak was injured and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Should have played Rush. Any *healthy* QB could have hit those WRs with the separation they had.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Here's the link to page 1 to see the whole article:
https://brickwallblitz.com/2020/02/21/the-2019-20-deep-ball-project-part-1-3/

Here's page 3, containing Daks's entry:
https://brickwallblitz.com/2020/02/21/the-2019-20-deep-ball-project-part-3-3/

The article contains videos, charts, and explanations of the methodology. Here is the text from Dak's review:

Dak passed the eyeball test, improving on two of his main flaws
1) He learned to pull the trigger. Wasn't hesitating to throw. As Kitna said: "Let 'er rip!" I
2) He was accurate deep, while he routinely missed wide open WRs deep the previous year.
3) Mechanics look so much better. The year before, he looked to be trying to muscle the ball overhanded. Now he just throws.

Huge steps forward for Dak. More than I thought possible in a year. Especially the deep accuracy.

McCarthy deserves to be considered a great QB coach, but I'm sorry to see Kitna go. Dak made a big jump with him. Don't know that it was Kitna, but we don't know that it *wasn't* Kitna either. It would have been a better play to keep Kitna, IMO.

Brax

Reaction score
1) He learned to pull the trigger. Wasn't hesitating to throw. As Kitna said: "Let 'er rip!" I
2) He was accurate deep, while he routinely missed wide open WRs deep the previous year.
3) Mechanics look so much better. The year before, he looked to be trying to muscle the ball overhanded. Now he just throws.

Huge steps forward for Dak. More than I thought possible in a year. Especially the deep accuracy.

McCarthy deserves to be considered a great QB coach, but I'm sorry to see Kitna go. Dak made a big jump with him. Don't know that it was Kitna, but we don't know that it *wasn't* Kitna either. It would have been a better play to keep Kitna, IMO.
The "Eye Test" the new gold standard for Dak apologists to evaluate Dak by. Funny how it works on this board.

HungryLion

Reaction score
..........where did I claim to comment on the article? The whole thing is a moot point. You should work on that reading comprehension issue.

My reading comprehension is fine. Your first post was you whining about “stats that are designed to make Dak look elite” rather than having anything of actual value or anything objective to say about the information being presented.

I called that idea out by pointing out that the authors of the article watch every throw from every QB and are presenting the results. They aren’t even Cowboys fans. Yet you claim the article is biased towards Dak without any evidence.

Then you go into a dumb argument about the teams record and other nonsense that doesn’t actually have to do with the topic of the post.

Same guy who posts PFF grades after every game. But you don’t like the results of this study, so you falsely claim it’s somehow biased towards Dak.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So four drunk guys had nothing better to do than find a way to make their QB look better than a pig with lipstick. That's pretty much what I was thinking too.
You wouldn’t know what a good QB looked like if Brady jumped in your lap who are you trying to kid.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s good to see you troll, I legitimately forgot you existed. You used to jump on my every post out of rage and frustration, but you’re just a shell of your troll self after so many humiliations. You’ve always been a troll, but you used to at least try... now you’re basically a cartoon character. It’s no wonder you’ve been beneath my notice. You’re just a gnat buzzing at my feet these days.
Says the guy who calls himself Super Kazuya :lmao:

garyo1954

Reaction score
You wouldn’t know what a good QB looked like if Brady jumped in your lap who are you trying to kid.

Well, there you are little man. We were getting worried you crawled in your mote ditch and were ate by the alligators.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My reading comprehension is fine. Your first post was you whining about “stats that are designed to make Dak look elite” rather than having anything of actual value or anything objective to say about the information being presented.

I called that idea out by pointing out that the authors of the article watch every throw from every QB and are presenting the results. They aren’t even Cowboys fans. Yet you claim the article is biased towards Dak without any evidence.

Then you go into a dumb argument about the teams record and other nonsense that doesn’t actually have to do with the topic of the post.

Same guy who posts PFF grades after every game. But you don’t like the results of this study, so you falsely claim it’s somehow biased towards Dak.

Again, the reading comprehension is an issue with you. WHERE did I claim the authors are "biased" toward Dak? You literally made that up.

The stat is garbage. If it was important, PFF would add it to their stat profile. Kyler Murray #1? :facepalm:

If you want to hold onto it b/c your pet cat ranks highly on it, enjoy. I don't root for players. I root for the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited:

irishline

Reaction score

I agree with everything you said except #1. He was top 5 in the NFL in time to throw during the first half of the year. But finished 26th by season's end. He began to hold the ball too long again. He ended the season with a time to throw (2.88 seconds) longer than 2018 (2.82) and 2017 (2.81). Ended up actually being tied for his worst season in time to throw.

Could have been play calling, competition, weather. Could have been many things, but he regressed in that regards. 15 of his 23 sacks came in those last 7 games while it was happening.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I usually agree with you, but I don't see the improvement. Mechanics aside, he looked good against the bad team and abysmal against the good teams. Does it really matter if he can throw deep on a pitiful Giants secondary if he can't do against GB and the Saints? Do the 47 points he put up on Washington in week 17 really matter when he couldn't score a TD the week before in a game that actually mattered?

I see the same guy with fluffed up stats. Playing from behind a lot tends to do that.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Again, the reading comprehension is an issue with you. WHERE did I claim the authors are "biased" toward Dak? You literally made that up.

The stat is garbage. If it was important, PFF would add it to their stat profile. Kyler Murray #1? :facepalm:

If you want to hold onto it b/c your pet cat ranks highly on it, enjoy. I don't root for players. I root for the Dallas Cowboys.

It's not a stat. It's a survey of a range of stats, paired with film analysis, across all QBs, in one specific area: deep ball passing.

But you watch a few games each weekend so you probably know better than to even consider someone else's hardwork and analysis.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not a stat. It's a survey of a range of stats, paired with film analysis, across all QBs, in one specific area: deep ball passing.

But you watch a few games each weekend so you probably know better than to even consider someone else's hardwork and analysis.

Any stat that ranks Kyler Murray #1 is immediately suspect. But go ahead and take your pot shots at me. lol

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said except #1. He was top 5 in the NFL in time to throw during the first half of the year. But finished 26th by season's end. He began to hold the ball too long again. He ended the season with a time to throw (2.88 seconds) longer than 2018 (2.82) and 2017 (2.81). Ended up actually being tied for his worst season in time to throw.

Could have been play calling, competition, weather. Could have been many things, but he regressed in that regards. 15 of his 23 sacks came in those last 7 games while it was happening.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Could have been improved oline play. Could have been lots of things. But I didn't see him delaying throws this year.

Some people like to snicker at the eyeball test, but this stat only tells you *how long* he held the ball, not whether he held it *too long*. Stats are the beginning of analysis. You often can't dispense with judgment.