2019 Deep Ball Project, Dak ranked 6th

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I usually agree with you, but I don't see the improvement. Mechanics aside, he looked good against the bad team and abysmal against the good teams. Does it really matter if he can throw deep on a pitiful Giants secondary if he can't do against GB and the Saints? Do the 47 points he put up on Washington in week 17 really matter when he couldn't score a TD the week before in a game that actually mattered?

I see the same guy with fluffed up stats. Playing from behind a lot tends to do that.

Did Dak miss open WRs deep against good defenses? I don't remember that as a problem. Certainly not like in 2018.

Proven accuracy matters against Washington. Dak has had problems with accuracy throwing against air. Even at the Pro Bowl skills competition. Proven game accuracy is a big improvement.

And the Eagles example doesn't work for your point that Dak can't beat the good defenses:
1) Dak was injured and shouldn't have been playing.
2) The Eagles defense wasn't playing great. Their secondary was injured, they were playing their cheerleaders back there, our WRs were *wide* open, and Dak was still too injured to hit them. It *wasn't* that the Eagles secondary was great and Dak couldn't throw against them, he was injured and couldn't beat a miserable secondary. When healthier, he could stomp a bad secondary. The week before and after the Eagles game we put up 40+ points.

Dak's worst games were NE, where Brady was little better in those conditions, and the Eagles, where he was too injured to hit anything.
Next worst was NO. I don't remember how well he threw, but I do remember the pitiful ineffective running on 1st down that put us in poor down and distance.

Dak made mistakes, and had more and less accurate games, but I don't remember his accuracy, and his accuracy deep, ever being the problem.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did Dak miss open WRs deep against good defenses? I don't remember that as a problem. Certainly not like in 2018.

Proven accuracy matters against Washington. Dak has had problems with accuracy throwing against air. Even at the Pro Bowl skills competition. Proven game accuracy is a big improvement.

And the Eagles example doesn't work for your point that Dak can't beat the good defenses:
2) The Eagles defense wasn't playing great. Their secondary was injured, they were playing their cheerleaders back there, our WRs were *wide* open, and Dak was still too injured to hit them. It *wasn't* that the Eagles secondary was great and Dak couldn't throw against them, he was injured and couldn't beat a miserable secondary. When healthier, he could stomp a bad secondary. The week before and after the Eagles game we put up 40+ points.

Dak's worst games were NE, where Brady was little better in those conditions, and the Eagles, where he was too injured to hit anything.
Next worst was NO. I don't remember how well he threw, but I do remember the pitiful ineffective running on 1st down that put us in poor down and distance.

Dak made mistakes, and had more and less accurate games, but I don't remember his accuracy, and his accuracy deep, ever being the problem.

Throw out philly? How bad could the injury be if he came back and torched the Commanders the following week? Whats the excuse against Buffalo? NYJ? Chicago? He got outplayed by Darnold and Trubisky.

The week he torched Philly, their secondary was a mash unit. The Philly team he faced in week 16 was a healthy defense.

He threw 17 deep balls all year. So, not sure you can conclude a whole lot from that stat.......... What is "proven game accuracy"?

Was there a QB surrounded by more talent? I don't understand how anyone can look at the cowboys in 2019 and conclude they did anything other than underachieve......including Dak. He wasn't good against any of the playoff teams and had no 4th quarter comebacks.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Throw out philly? How bad could the injury be if he came back and torched the Commanders the following week? Whats the excuse against Buffalo? NYJ? Chicago? He got outplayed by Darnold and Trubisky.

The week he torched Philly, their secondary was a mash unit. The Philly team he faced in week 16 was a healthy defense.

He threw 17 deep balls all year. So, not sure you can conclude a whole lot from that stat.......... What is "proven game accuracy"?

Was there a QB surrounded by more talent? I don't understand how anyone can look at the cowboys in 2019 and conclude they did anything other than underachieve......including Dak. He wasn't good against any of the playoff teams and had no 4th quarter comebacks.
Funny how fans post like it's one on one.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Irrelevant response.

I'll connect the dots for you. You said " funny how fans post like its one on one" . Meaning, you recognize its a team sport. Sure, its a team sport but some guys want more of the pie than they are entitled too. Dak wants to be paid like a super bowl winner. Have you seen anything remotely resembling a super bowl QB? I haven't. If he wants the top contract at the most important position on the field, he should be held responsible for the teams results. Why pay more for 8-8?

shabazz

Reaction score
.............and yet, this #6 ranked Deep Ball master failed to score more than 10 point in 3 critical games including the 3 FG fiasco against the Eagles for the division title......oh yeah its was everybody else's fault. I love the cherry picked stats to support a guy with no contract in sight

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Probowl skills challenge...... that's laughable. Go look at some of the QBs and see what they scored compared to Dak. Some of the ones that are called easy more accurate than Dak, did worst.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.............and yet, this #6 ranked Deep Ball master failed to score more than 10 point in 3 critical games including the 3 FG fiasco against the Eagles for the division title......oh yeah its was everybody else's fault. I love the cherry picked stats to support a guy with no contract in sight

He's not a master quite yet. He still aspires to be Kyler Murray. :lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
YPA =/= deep passing

and hey, if you can show me that Lamar Jackson threw half of his TD passes against two of the worst teams in the league then I will look at his numbers funny too. We know that’s not the case though.

but you said he couldn’t throw the deep ball at all? Lol

Another troll comment debunked. You lose

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
but you said he couldn’t throw the deep ball at all? Lol

Another troll comment debunked. You lose
A bored troll bumps a three day old post to add nothing of substance and to simply start an argument. Same troll wonders why he Is so often called a troll.
Next time you’re bored choose one of the many current discussions I’m in, and at least pretend that you care about the actual subject. This is lazy, even for you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A bored troll bumps a three day old post to add nothing of substance and to simply start an argument. Same troll wonders why he Is so often called a troll.
Next time you’re bored choose one of the many current discussions I’m in, and at least pretend that you care about the actual subject. This is lazy, even for you.

just another dumb troll comment proven wrong.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'll connect the dots for you. You said " funny how fans post like its one on one" . Meaning, you recognize its a team sport. Sure, its a team sport but some guys want more of the pie than they are entitled too. Dak wants to be paid like a super bowl winner. Have you seen anything remotely resembling a super bowl QB? I haven't. If he wants the top contract at the most important position on the field, he should be held responsible for the teams results. Why pay more for 8-8?
You only look at the losses or the games Prescott didn't put up gaudy numbers. Then, you suggest that HE didn't do enough; never admitting the entire body of worked conveniently. "8-8" isn't all on the QB, he did very well the majority of the time.
Is Jimmy G a Super Bowl winner? He set the QB market when he got paid based on 7 games. Prescott should get what he can because as the next QBs get signed his salary will be considered rather mediocre as the market and cap goes up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You only look at the losses or the games Prescott didn't put up gaudy numbers. Then, you suggest that HE didn't do enough; never admitting the entire body of worked conveniently. "8-8" isn't all on the QB, he did very well the majority of the time.
Is Jimmy G a Super Bowl winner? He set the QB market when he got paid based on 7 games. Prescott should get what he can because as the next QBs get signed his salary will be considered rather mediocre as the market and cap goes up.

, Should we be more focused on how Dak played against the NYG, Skids, and Miami .......3 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL ? You sound like Jerry Jones always assuming the best performance and the best case scenario are the most likely indicator of truth.

Jimmy G lead a team to the super bowl and only makes like 27 million a year. His contract is a bargain.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Again, the reading comprehension is an issue with you. WHERE did I claim the authors are "biased" toward Dak? You literally made that up.

The stat is garbage. If it was important, PFF would add it to their stat profile. Kyler Murray #1? :facepalm:

If you want to hold onto it b/c your pet cat ranks highly on it, enjoy. I don't root for players. I root for the Dallas Cowboys.
Bingo! Kyler Murray at #1 and Mayfield ranked at 5 tells you a lot about this.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
, Should we be more focused on how Dak played against the NYG, Skids, and Miami .......3 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL ? You sound like Jerry Jones always assuming the best performance and the best case scenario are the most likely indicator of truth.

Jimmy G lead a team to the super bowl and only makes like 27 million a year. His contract is a bargain.
Like I said - entire body of work and factoring in how the team did. Not 2-3 games at your convenience.

Lol, Jimmy G didn't lead the team, the running game and defense bailed him out. And you missed the entire point. His contract salary is a bargain NOW, it wasn't when he got extended. You suggesting the market value was a bargain for him at the time, but it's not now? Flimsy.

For the record, there should be some sort of percentage/maximum positional cap. QBs by nature are getting higher and higher and a fast rate. It's crazy.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Could have been improved oline play. Could have been lots of things. But I didn't see him delaying throws this year.

Some people like to snicker at the eyeball test, but this stat only tells you *how long* he held the ball, not whether he held it *too long*. Stats are the beginning of analysis. You often can't dispense with judgment.
I use the eyeball test to look at Daks ball placement, velocity and how tight the coverage is. I dont view the sideline down field throws where it may be tight but zero risk as a tight window throw. I look more at the middle of the field throws and inside the redzone Dak really struggles.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said - entire body of work and factoring in how the team did. Not 2-3 games at your convenience.

Lol, Jimmy G didn't lead the team, the running game and defense bailed him out. And you missed the entire point. His contract salary is a bargain NOW, it wasn't when he got extended. You suggesting the market value was a bargain for him at the time, but it's not now? Flimsy.

For the record, there should be some sort of percentage/maximum positional cap. QBs by nature are getting higher and higher and a fast rate. It's crazy.

There is no way you can look at Dak's 2019 season and conclude that it was anything less than disappointing. Cherry picking games or not. The body of work wasn't good.

You want cap Qb salaries or control them? We can start by not making a borderline good Qb the highest paid QB in the NFL.

You think Dak could have taken SF to the super bowl last year? I don't. Put Jimmy G in our offense with Cooper, Zeke, and Gallup......... we do better than 8 wins.