2019 Deep Ball Project, Dak ranked 6th

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What he did 4 years ago is not as relevant as what he did in the 3 more recent seasons. A new contract isn't a lifetime achievement award. Its based on what the team projects a player will do in the future. So, unless there was an injury or other mitigating circumstance, you look at the most recent season first. Common sense stuff here. You following? In regard to Dak, 2019>2018>2017>2016

In the last 2 years passing yards increased, TD have increased sacks have gone down, fumbles have gone down his QB rating is higher than the past 2 season despite the fact he is throwing deeper routs more often. Your right there is common sense and his numbers are bearing it out.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The Niners rolled the dice. BUT, they did not hamstring the franchise for 4-5 years if it didn't work out. They could cut Jimmy G tomorrow and owe him nothing.
Never said they did. You said it wasnt record setting, the avg annual was. You said "Let me guess, you looked at none of the details of his contract. It is not "highest contract in NFL history" or whatever you meant by that exactly. It averages 27 million per year and only 41 million is guaranteed." It was 41m not was 48m and you said ONLY like it wasnt **** but it was the 3rd highest at the time. Obviously you didnt look at the details either.

You would have been better off just sticking to the Niners did a great job and front loaded it the 1st year. Instead, you make smart*** comments like you know more than other like, "Not sure you are capable of understanding", "Let me guess, you looked at none of the details of his contract", when people should be asking you the same thing. You did the same thing you accused someone else of. You looked at the 48m fully guarantee and the 74m total guarantee and didnt look into the details and used the word "only" when describing the fully guarantee. If you would have looked into the details you would have know it was the 3rd and the 2nd highest at the time with the most avg annual. If you would have looked into the details you would have seen it was ALL about the structure, not the amount of the guarantee.

Carr singed a similar contract the year before with little less guarantee and they would have more dead money after 3 years than the niners would after 2 with Jimmy G. Again, the devil was in the details but the devil wasnt the amount of guarantee, it was the structure. And btw, most big contracts after 3 years the team doesnt owe the player anything. Only thing left, typically, is the prorated bounes already paid out but becomes dead money. Niners front loaded the bonus money and got rid of most of the dead moeny in the 1st 2 year.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the last 2 years passing yards increased, TD have increased sacks have gone down, fumbles have gone down his QB rating is higher than the past 2 season despite the fact he is throwing deeper routs more often. Your right there is common sense and his numbers are bearing it out.

Yep, he really torched the NYG, Skids, Miami, and GB's prevent defense. Solid outing in Philly at the end. Lets ignore that he didn't beat anyone good and put up most his numbers against trash defenses. Pay the man!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never said they did. You said it wasnt record setting, the avg annual was. You said "Let me guess, you looked at none of the details of his contract. It is not "highest contract in NFL history" or whatever you meant by that exactly. It averages 27 million per year and only 41 million is guaranteed." It was 41m not was 48m and you said ONLY like it wasnt **** but it was the 3rd highest at the time. Obviously you didnt look at the details either.

You would have been better off just sticking to the Niners did a great job and front loaded it the 1st year. Instead, you make smart*** comments like you know more than other like, "Not sure you are capable of understanding", "Let me guess, you looked at none of the details of his contract", when people should be asking you the same thing. You did the same thing you accused someone else of. You looked at the 48m fully guarantee and the 74m total guarantee and didnt look into the details and used the word "only" when describing the fully guarantee. If you would have looked into the details you would have know it was the 3rd and the 2nd highest at the time with the most avg annual. If you would have looked into the details you would have seen it was ALL about the structure, not the amount of the guarantee.

Carr singed a similar contract the year before with little less guarantee and they would have more dead money after 3 years than the niners would after 2 with Jimmy G. Again, the devil was in the details but the devil wasnt the amount of guarantee, it was the structure. And btw, most big contracts after 3 years the team doesnt owe the player anything. Only thing left, typically, is the prorated bounes already paid out but becomes dead money. Niners front loaded the bonus money and got rid of most of the dead moeny in the 1st 2 year.

:facepalm:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yep, he really torched the NYG, Skids, Miami, and GB's prevent defense. Solid outing in Philly at the end. Lets ignore that he didn't beat anyone good and put up most his numbers against trash defenses. Pay then man!

The Cowboys did not beat enough of the top teams I agree but it was not Dak alone and in some instance not Dak play. I'm not ignoring anything, defense looked bad as well. Special teams with Mahar cost the Cowboys and a coaching staff that many have been blaming lost their jobs. I do not put Dak into the elite then again my elite is very small. I do think Dak is a very good QB and one capable of leading this team to a championship. What you are doing is putting all loses on Dak and while he may share in defeat it still requires a team to go out and win and there were enough mistakes in all phases and coaching to share in the blame.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys did not beat enough of the top teams I agree but it was not Dak alone and in some instance not Dak play. I'm not ignoring anything, defense looked bad as well. Special teams with Mahar cost the Cowboys and a coaching staff that many have been blaming lost their jobs. I do not put Dak into the elite then again my elite is very small. I do think Dak is a very good QB and one capable of leading this team to a championship. What you are doing is putting all loses on Dak and while he may share in defeat it still requires a team to go out and win and there were enough mistakes in all phases and coaching to share in the blame.

My point isn't to dispute Dak's passing yards. I'm merely pointing out that he was good only against the bad teams. I'd love to see him back next year.............just not for elite QB money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My point isn't to dispute Dak's career passing yards. I'm merely pointing out that he was good only against the bad teams. I'd love to see him back next year.............just not for elite QB money.

The Cowboys did not play good enough period. As for his contract his deal will likely be consider middle of the road within 2 years of his deal. I don't consider Wilson as elite or Matt Ryan as elite but of course where paid as elite. currently there is no deal and frankly none of us really know what has been offered in detail. We say he turned down 33 mill a year but reality without knowing that the guaranteed portion that 33 mill is a meaningless number.

garyo1954

Reaction score
2016 was the perfect storm year for the Cowboys. Still if you want to talk about wins since 2016, you have to consider.....

Tom Brady 47-13 since 2016.
Three Super Bowl appearances. And two more Trophies.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2016 was the perfect storm year for the Cowboys. Still if you want to talk about wins since 2016, you have to consider.....

Tom Brady 47-13 since 2016.
Three Super Bowl appearances. And two more Trophies.

If your the Dallas Cowboys looking at how much to pay Dak, why would what he did in 2016 matter? We've seen him fold like a cheap chair in the biggest games of 2018 and 2019. We aren't dealing with a Mahomes level talent here or even Russel Wilson for that matter.

garyo1954

Reaction score
If your the Dallas Cowboys looking at how much to pay Dak, why would what he did in 2016 matter? We've seen him fold like a cheap chair in the biggest games of 2018 and 2019. We aren't dealing with a Mahomes level talent here or even Russel Wilson for that matter.

Good question. I got no answer. Bill Parcell's, the same guy that cautioned 'anointing' Romo, said on national television the 2016 Dak was getting good coaching, plenty of support, and the opportunities to be successful. That's what he called the perfect storm.

Going into your fifth year you should have something better on your resume and even a signature win, IMO. I don't see either. Is he getting better, or is he just getting comfortable?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good question. I got no answer. Bill Parcell's, the same guy that cautioned 'anointing' Romo, said on national television the 2016 Dak was getting good coaching, plenty of support, and the opportunities to be successful. That's what he called the perfect storm.

Going into your fifth year you should have something better on your resume and even a signature win, IMO. I don't see either. Is he getting better, or is he just getting comfortable?

I just didn't see the proverbial "will to win". Whenever we got behind, it was game over. He had a real opportunity to change the narrative of the season in philly, but he managed to play one of his worst games instead. Meanwhile Wentz is throwing to a bunch of JAGs and moving the chains. Dak's a hard guy to get a read on based on last year.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I just didn't see the proverbial "will to win". Whenever we got behind, it was game over. He had a real opportunity to change the narrative of the season in philly, but he managed to play one of his worst games instead. Meanwhile Wentz is throwing to a bunch of JAGs and moving the chains. Dak's a hard guy to get a read on based on last year.

:hammer:

BOOM! Another Cowboy fan (happens to be a female) pointed that out to while I was at the dialysis unit this morning. In her words, "Nobody ever says, "he left his heart and soul on the field."

Got me thinking......

How many times have we heard, "Dak did everything in his power to win this game?"

How many times have we heard, "The Cowboys need to get that guy some help?"

Yeah, you nailed it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He was just bad against philly. Insert your excuse

He was absolutely outplayed by both Darnold and Trubisky on the same field.

If you want to take the big picture view of last year and not go into any game detail............ he was good against the bad teams and bad against the good teams. Lots of fluffed up numbers compiled in garbage time.

If it makes you feel better to label facts of reality as "excuses", knock yourself out. Injured players won't play as well. Duh.

Dak was on the same field as Darnold and Trubisky, but wasn't playing against the same defenses. Against both Buffalo and Chicago, the defense was the overwhelming problem, and you have yet to show what *Dak* himself failed in those games.

Big picture: better teams are harder to beat. Duh.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it makes you feel better to label facts of reality as "excuses", knock yourself out. Injured players won't play as well. Duh.

Dak was on the same field as Darnold and Trubisky, but wasn't playing against the same defenses. Against both Buffalo and Chicago, the defense was the overwhelming problem, and you have yet to show what *Dak* himself failed in those games.

Big picture: better teams are harder to beat. Duh.

Harder to beat? He lost to every good team he played. Where exactly is your bar? So, it shouldn't be expected for Dak to play well against good teams?

All that matters is when you peruse the stat sheet at the end of the year, the numbers look good. Forget context or results. Gotcha.

shabazz

Reaction score
:hammer:

BOOM! Another Cowboy fan (happens to be a female) pointed that out to while I was at the dialysis unit this morning. In her words, "Nobody ever says, "he left his heart and soul on the field."

Got me thinking......

How many times have we heard, "Dak did everything in his power to win this game?"

How many times have we heard, "The Cowboys need to get that guy some help?"

Yeah, you nailed it.

Excellent point. An example of "leaving his heart and soul on the field", to me , was the young QB from the Bills game. He ran over 10 times and converted through the air as well to will that team to victory over us. He was the difference maker and clearly wanted it more than our guy did. Guess he wasn't worried about getting his knees dirty in a contract year.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Again, the reading comprehension is an issue with you. WHERE did I claim the authors are "biased" toward Dak? You literally made that up.

The stat is garbage. If it was important, PFF would add it to their stat profile. Kyler Murray #1? :facepalm:

If you want to hold onto it b/c your pet cat ranks highly on it, enjoy. I don't root for players. I root for the Dallas Cowboys.

I didn’t make anything up. You said “Love all the stats showing up trying to convince folks Dak is an elite QB”

If the authors were trying to convince people that Dak is an elite QB. It would mean they are showing bias towards Dak.

However, That’s not the case at all, the authors have been doing this study for years and present the information equally for every starting QB in the league. Which means it’s not just a stat showing up to try and convince people Dak is an elite QB.

So again, my reading comprehension is fine. You just decided to make a baseless claim that the information was purposefully contrived to convince people Dak is an elite QB. When really the article doesn’t try to do that at all. It’s just presenting numbers on deep ball throwing.

The deep ball project has been around since before Dak was even in the NFL. But yeah it’s just being posted to convince people Dak is an elite QB.

You’re just saying the Stat is garbage because it doesn’t fit your own belief.

I also root for the Dallas Cowboys. Dak isn’t even my “pet cat”. I just happen to like him. I’ll still root for the cowboys after he leaves.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The deep ball project has been around since before Dak was even in the NFL. But yeah it’s just being posted to convince people Dak is an elite QB.
Interesting. Do you have the results for previous years?