2019 NFL Draft Chatter

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Almost famous under-the-radar prospects
Keep an eye on these potential Day 2 or Day 3 picks:

i

Khalil Hodge, LB, Buffalo
You know all about former Buffalo defender Khalil Mack, who just signed the richest deal for a defensive player in NFL history, but the Bulls have a prospect to watch for in the 2019 class. Hodge is a versatile and complete linebacker whose 154 tackles last season ranked No. 2 in FBS. With the ability to cover backs and tight ends, he can be a three-down linebacker in the NFL, likely as an inside linebacker. He shows good pursuit to the football and he can take on blocks. Hodge had 10 tackles and two pass breakups in Buffalo's win over Temple on Saturday. I have him graded as a third- or fourth-round pick right now. -- Kiper

Maybe some dumb team will get fooled into taking him thinking they’re getting the more famous Khalil out of U. of Buffalo.

bodi

Reaction score
Beau Benzschawel, G, Wisconsin
Team: North | Uniform number: 66

Benzschawel (6-6, 315) is a powerful road grader who is going to win some reps in Mobile with his brute strength. He's my No. 3-ranked guard.

Also keep an eye on my No. 4-ranked guard Dalton Risner, who played mostly tackle at Kansas State but has the size (6-5, 300) to play in the interior at the next level

I'd like either of theses guys

plus this guy

Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois
Team: North | Uniform number: 99

Listed at 6-foot-2 and 310 pounds, Saunders is built like a fire hydrant, and he's tough to neutralize with one blocker when teams run inside. He flashes as a pass-rusher, and Western Illinois' willingness to line him up at defensive end on downs with pass-heavy tendencies is a testament to his athletic ability. A strong week could put him in the Day 2 conversation.

cristglo

Reaction score
Dyln Mack has been impressive to me but just fear that laziness I have heard through college. There was one play and I cant remember who it was against where he put his hand on the OL and killed him. It reminded me of Tyron smith hands. Could Rod bring the best out in this kid? The pass rushers have really showed up Sweet from Mizz and fergueson from La Tech.
I have been impressed with Penny and his feet and hands.
Rock the CB has really impressed me just his nasty attitude not afraid to go against the best

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The week of practice ahead of the 2019 Senior Bowl has come to a close.

NFL draft experts Todd McShay and Steve Muench break down how the best prospects in attendance fared, how the eight quarterbacks performed in Mobile, Alabama, which under-the-radar prospects helped themselves this week with strong performances, and more. Quarterback rankings are updated following the week of practice, and grades are via Scouts Inc.

How do the eight Senior Bowl quarterbacks emerge following this week?

Drew Lock, Missouri

Team: North | Uniform: 3 | QB ranking: 3 | Grade: 83

Lock had his best day of the week on Thursday. He was in control and looked good in the red zone. He needs to get a little more consistent with anticipatory accuracy and decision-making, and he needs work on touch throws and when throwing on the move, but his trajectory and ball placement on the deep ball are outstanding. One note from earlier this week, though: his 9-inch hands will be a concern when it comes to ball security, pump fakes and handling poor weather. -- McShay

Daniel Jones, Duke

Team: North | Uniform: 17 | QB ranking: 4 | Grade: 82

Jones had a really tough afternoon on Thursday to cap off a subpar week. He had some issues handling snaps from his center out of the shotgun, fumbling three times (two of which he should have handled), and Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden was on him about a lack of command in the huddle and playcalling verbiage mistakes. Still, the Duke signal-caller shook it off, processing the defense quickly. He doesn't get great zip on the ball, but he has a feel for trajectory. He did a lot of positive things over the three trips to the practice field this week, but he did not look like a first-rounder to me. -- McShay

Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
Team: South | Uniform: 8 | QB ranking: 5 | Grade: 80

This riser had his best outing yet on Thursday, excelling in the red zone and on third down. I like his pocket presence a lot, and there's no denying the strong arm and smooth stroke. He was fitting the ball into tight windows in the red zone, something he has improved on throughout the week. -- McShay

Ryan Finley, NC State

Team: North | Uniform: 15 | QB ranking: 6 | Grade: 79

The Senior Bowl was never going to be a place for Finley to shine with just an adequate arm and decent mobility. But he processes the play quickly and plays with good anticipation, hitting his timing throws. I just wanted to see him let it rip a bit more this week -- he played it safe a lot with a good chunk of check-downs. He has the potential to be a good backup in the NFL, and perhaps become a starter in the right system. -- McShay

Will Grier, West Virginia
Team: South | Uniform: 7 | QB ranking: 7 | Grade: 75

Grier made some good throws this week and flashed his potential at times. And he looked all right on drops from under center over the course of the week, which is a new concept to him too. But Grier definitely seems to hold onto the ball too long, and his accuracy needs to improve when he's forced to move off his initial spot. He is locking onto his primary target too long at times. I think at this point he grades as an above-average backup who could develop into a starter down the road. -- McShay

Trace McSorley, Penn State

Team: North | Uniform: 9 | QB ranking: 9 | Grade: 57

On Thursday, McSorley made some real good throws on the move. Gruden seemed pleased, but he also seemed to be coaching the other three North QBs a little harder. The PSU quarterback lacks ideal arm strength, limiting the throws he can make, but he showed good ball placement this week. He was also the smallest of the eight Senior Bowl quarterbacks (6-0¼, 200 pounds) with a below-average hand span (9.25 inches). -- McShay

Gardner Minshew, Washington State

Team: South | Uniform: 16 | QB ranking: 10 | Grade: 50

Minshew was sharp down in the red zone on Thursday, and he sure seems to be at his best in tight quarters. He excels in making quick reads and making anticipatory throws, rather than forcing the ball vertically. On Wednesday, he struggled a bit throwing downfield in the swirling wind. He's a rhythm thrower who can throw his receivers into an open window. -- McShay

Tyree Jackson, Buffalo

Team: South | Uniform: 3 | QB ranking: 11 | Grade: 46

Jackson's highlight reel would have been the most spectacular of the group, but he remains inaccurate. He still needs work on reading defenses and improving the consistency of his footwork. He has a long-levered delivery and is heavy-footed on drops. But I will say this about the 6-foot-7 quarterback: He's got a rocket arm. -- McShay

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which prospects' draft stock rose the most this week?

Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Team: South | Uniform number: 1

Samuel excelled in red zone on Thursday, getting quick separation. In all, he was consistently outstanding all week long. Just quick off the line and displaying the ability to get vertical. If he stays motivated and in great shape in the NFL, he can have a long career as a high-level starter. In the short term, I don't see a way that he slips out of the first two rounds. -- McShay

Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 9

At 6-foot-6 and 252 pounds, Sweat is an explosive speed rusher who is strong enough to go through offensive tackles and athletic enough to work the weave when they take away the edge. He is on the leaner and lighter side for a defensive end, yet he's stout setting the edge against the run. He gets off the ball, he shoots his hands inside and he has the length (35⅝-inch arms) to keep blockers off his frame. -- Muench

Penny Hart, WR, Georgia State

Team: North | Uniform number: 18

Hart is undersized out of the slot at 5-foot-8 and 180 pounds, but man, is he ever lightning quick. He just gets off the line of scrimmage so fast and then separates with his ability to explode out of routes. If you don't press this guy, he's gonna wreak havoc. On Thursday, he once again made a lot of tough catches in traffic. Of note, he also looked natural fielding punts. Hart might have worked himself into a Day 2 pick this week. -- McShay

L.J. Collier, DE, TCU

Team: North | Uniform number: 91

Dalton Risner -- who had a strong overall week -- on the ground rushing off the edge on Monday, and then did the same to Charlotte's Nate Davis when he kicked inside during one-on-one drills. -- Muench

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which prospects raised more questions than answers with their performance this week?

Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 38

This highly ranked safety failed his physical, so he will need to get that handled. He will be medically checked at the combine and then again at medical rechecks in early April. NFL teams will also have their medical staffs look at him individually. Abram is a top-40 talent and really broke out this year, so it will certainly be something to watch. -- McShay

Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

Team: North | Uniform number: 44

After getting off to a promising start to the week, measuring 6-foot-4 and weighing in at 280 pounds with 34½-inch arms, Allen didn't practice as well as we expected. The Raiders' coaching staff frequently lined him up on the inside, and he leaned on his power rush with limited success. But the approach and results were similar when he rushed off the edge. One week doesn't define a player who finished his career with 40.5 tackles-for-loss and 18.5 sacks, but teams are likely to take a closer look at his tape following his performance. -- Muench

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any additional thoughts from the week?

McShay:

• I was really impressed with Kentucky's long corner Lonnie Johnson Jr. this week. He laid out Clemson receiver Hunter Renfrow on a screen on Thursday, and he has been strong in press-man all week. He brings a real physical edge, and I think he'd be a perfect fit in a Seattle-like defense. He made money this week.

• A lot of small school offensive linemen impressed against the big boys this week. Olisaemeka Udoh (Elon), Nate Davis (Charlotte), Tytus Howard (Alabama State) and B.J. Autry (Jacksonville State) all did positive things.

• Oshane Ximines out of Old Dominion has some technique work to refine, but he's an explosive edge rusher. And he has more power than his frame indicates. He and Sweat were the clear-cut best edge rushers here this week (Collier is a combo inside-outside guy).

Muench:

• The tight ends had a strong overall week. Boston College's Tommy Sweeney and Washington's Drew Sample are Y tight end prospects with the frames to develop into competitive in-line blockers and the hands to develop into reliable safety valves. Utah State's Dax Raymond is an intriguing F tight end with big hands and a good blend of speed and athletic ability. He made a contested catch underneath on Thursday and did a nice job of settling into a pocket on his touchdown catch during the red-zone period. It's shaping up to be a deep tight end class considering none of the top five tight ends on our board were even here.

• Thursday practices generally aren't as physical as Tuesday and Wednesday, but that wasn't the case with the North squad, which ended the practice with one-on-ones between the offensive and defensive lines in front of the whole team.

• Alabama State's Howard and Elon's Udoh are two intriguing small school offensive tackle prospects. Howard's hand placement is inconsistent, but he's an above-average pass-blocker who played well against Auburn this season and has flashed an edge this week. While he's rawer than Howard, Udoh has rare length (36-inch arms) and moves well for a player who weighs in at 327 pounds.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Which prospects raised more questions than answers with their performance this week?

Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 38

This highly ranked safety failed his physical, so he will need to get that handled. He will be medically checked at the combine and then again at medical rechecks in early April. NFL teams will also have their medical staffs look at him individually. Abram is a top-40 talent and really broke out this year, so it will certainly be something to watch. -- McShay

Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

Team: North | Uniform number: 44

After getting off to a promising start to the week, measuring 6-foot-4 and weighing in at 280 pounds with 34½-inch arms, Allen didn't practice as well as we expected. The Raiders' coaching staff frequently lined him up on the inside, and he leaned on his power rush with limited success. But the approach and results were similar when he rushed off the edge. One week doesn't define a player who finished his career with 40.5 tackles-for-loss and 18.5 sacks, but teams are likely to take a closer look at his tape following his performance. -- Muench
Johnathan Abram, welcome to the Dallas Cowboys 2nd round pick....

:muttley:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Any additional thoughts from the week?

McShay:

• I was really impressed with Kentucky's long corner Lonnie Johnson Jr. this week. He laid out Clemson receiver Hunter Renfrow on a screen on Thursday, and he has been strong in press-man all week. He brings a real physical edge, and I think he'd be a perfect fit in a Seattle-like defense. He made money this week.

• A lot of small school offensive linemen impressed against the big boys this week. Olisaemeka Udoh (Elon), Nate Davis (Charlotte), Tytus Howard (Alabama State) and B.J. Autry (Jacksonville State) all did positive things.

• Oshane Ximines out of Old Dominion has some technique work to refine, but he's an explosive edge rusher. And he has more power than his frame indicates. He and Sweat were the clear-cut best edge rushers here this week (Collier is a combo inside-outside guy).

Muench:

• The tight ends had a strong overall week. Boston College's Tommy Sweeney and Washington's Drew Sample are Y tight end prospects with the frames to develop into competitive in-line blockers and the hands to develop into reliable safety valves. Utah State's Dax Raymond is an intriguing F tight end with big hands and a good blend of speed and athletic ability. He made a contested catch underneath on Thursday and did a nice job of settling into a pocket on his touchdown catch during the red-zone period. It's shaping up to be a deep tight end class considering none of the top five tight ends on our board were even here.

• Thursday practices generally aren't as physical as Tuesday and Wednesday, but that wasn't the case with the North squad, which ended the practice with one-on-ones between the offensive and defensive lines in front of the whole team.

• Alabama State's Howard and Elon's Udoh are two intriguing small school offensive tackle prospects. Howard's hand placement is inconsistent, but he's an above-average pass-blocker who played well against Auburn this season and has flashed an edge this week. While he's rawer than Howard, Udoh has rare length (36-inch arms) and moves well for a player who weighs in at 327 pounds.
Thanks for posting all the draft chatter... much appreciated

Sydla

Reaction score
Wonder where Dexter Williams will end up in draft? Turning heads at Senior Bowl. I was thinking a potential backup for Elliott if he was around in the 4th or 5th round.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I understand the thinking but he loses his advantage as a slower, bigger ILB. He's a quick, penetrating 3Tech and he's going to be a problem for guards and centers.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I understand the thinking but he loses his advantage as a slower, bigger ILB. He's a quick, penetrating 3Tech and he's going to be a problem for guards and centers.
How many guys have made THAT transition?
Randy White went the other way.
Bruschi from DE to ILB...I honestly struggle to think if more....

RS12

Reaction score
No way Simmons falls to 58 but I wonder if Williams is on their board, and what would happen if fell to the 3rd or 4th round where they pick.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Playing LB is so much about instincts, athleticism alone doesn't cut it. Physically, Oliver could probably stand up and play LB at a pro level, but he's never read keys as an LB before, he's probably got no experience studying offensive play design and seeing that a route here probably means there's going to be another route there (hook-flat combos, sail concepts, etc), he hasn't called audibles for the defense, etc. Just seems like putting a square peg in a round hole.

He is a monster gap shooter and plays the run extremely well despite his size, so I think he'll be just fine in the interior at 280.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The week of practice ahead of the 2019 Senior Bowl has come to a close.

NFL draft experts Todd McShay and Steve Muench break down how the best prospects in attendance fared, how the eight quarterbacks performed in Mobile, Alabama, which under-the-radar prospects helped themselves this week with strong performances, and more. Quarterback rankings are updated following the week of practice, and grades are via Scouts Inc.

How do the eight Senior Bowl quarterbacks emerge following this week?

Drew Lock, Missouri

Team: North | Uniform: 3 | QB ranking: 3 | Grade: 83

Lock had his best day of the week on Thursday. He was in control and looked good in the red zone. He needs to get a little more consistent with anticipatory accuracy and decision-making, and he needs work on touch throws and when throwing on the move, but his trajectory and ball placement on the deep ball are outstanding. One note from earlier this week, though: his 9-inch hands will be a concern when it comes to ball security, pump fakes and handling poor weather. -- McShay

Daniel Jones, Duke

Team: North | Uniform: 17 | QB ranking: 4 | Grade: 82

Jones had a really tough afternoon on Thursday to cap off a subpar week. He had some issues handling snaps from his center out of the shotgun, fumbling three times (two of which he should have handled), and Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden was on him about a lack of command in the huddle and playcalling verbiage mistakes. Still, the Duke signal-caller shook it off, processing the defense quickly. He doesn't get great zip on the ball, but he has a feel for trajectory. He did a lot of positive things over the three trips to the practice field this week, but he did not look like a first-rounder to me. -- McShay

Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
Team: South | Uniform: 8 | QB ranking: 5 | Grade: 80

This riser had his best outing yet on Thursday, excelling in the red zone and on third down. I like his pocket presence a lot, and there's no denying the strong arm and smooth stroke. He was fitting the ball into tight windows in the red zone, something he has improved on throughout the week. -- McShay

Ryan Finley, NC State

Team: North | Uniform: 15 | QB ranking: 6 | Grade: 79

The Senior Bowl was never going to be a place for Finley to shine with just an adequate arm and decent mobility. But he processes the play quickly and plays with good anticipation, hitting his timing throws. I just wanted to see him let it rip a bit more this week -- he played it safe a lot with a good chunk of check-downs. He has the potential to be a good backup in the NFL, and perhaps become a starter in the right system. -- McShay

Will Grier, West Virginia
Team: South | Uniform: 7 | QB ranking: 7 | Grade: 75

Grier made some good throws this week and flashed his potential at times. And he looked all right on drops from under center over the course of the week, which is a new concept to him too. But Grier definitely seems to hold onto the ball too long, and his accuracy needs to improve when he's forced to move off his initial spot. He is locking onto his primary target too long at times. I think at this point he grades as an above-average backup who could develop into a starter down the road. -- McShay

Trace McSorley, Penn State

Team: North | Uniform: 9 | QB ranking: 9 | Grade: 57

On Thursday, McSorley made some real good throws on the move. Gruden seemed pleased, but he also seemed to be coaching the other three North QBs a little harder. The PSU quarterback lacks ideal arm strength, limiting the throws he can make, but he showed good ball placement this week. He was also the smallest of the eight Senior Bowl quarterbacks (6-0¼, 200 pounds) with a below-average hand span (9.25 inches). -- McShay

Gardner Minshew, Washington State

Team: South | Uniform: 16 | QB ranking: 10 | Grade: 50

Minshew was sharp down in the red zone on Thursday, and he sure seems to be at his best in tight quarters. He excels in making quick reads and making anticipatory throws, rather than forcing the ball vertically. On Wednesday, he struggled a bit throwing downfield in the swirling wind. He's a rhythm thrower who can throw his receivers into an open window. -- McShay

Tyree Jackson, Buffalo

Team: South | Uniform: 3 | QB ranking: 11 | Grade: 46

Jackson's highlight reel would have been the most spectacular of the group, but he remains inaccurate. He still needs work on reading defenses and improving the consistency of his footwork. He has a long-levered delivery and is heavy-footed on drops. But I will say this about the 6-foot-7 quarterback: He's got a rocket arm. -- McShay
IN MY OPINION, STIDHAM is the best prospect out of this years QB crop. Reminds me of Danny White...has more to offer than you might think. Love his fluidity when he throws. No wasted movement. My number 2 QB is Lock. They are real close. Everyone else could be a project. McSorley has some Romo and Brees intangibles...from the neck up, may be the smartest out of the bunch.