2019 NFL Draft Chatter

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Between this and the Combine, he might go undrafted.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He ran a 4.6 so I'd be curious to what he did that puts him in the "exceptional" category.

Lol seriously...I saw that and said, wait, what?

I don’t think there’s a 1st round RB in the draft.

TE and OL are the only 1st round offensive positions that are solid IMO. I’m not as high on Metcalf as others, better athlete than player IMO.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

yup...so disappointing. He looks so much better on tape. Runs hard...I was expecting 4.5 range for his 40...but this? :huh:

I still think he gets drafted....probably late 6th-7th round.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
yup...so disappointing. He looks so much better on tape. Runs hard...I was expecting 4.5 range for his 40...but this? :huh:

You can't ignore his tape, but that is sllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Al Davis may come back from the dead to fire you for drafting him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Stidham and Grier will have better careers than Haskins. Both guys can make every throw. Haskins to me, looks like he stares down his man and makes mistakes. Relies on his arm strength. Can you say, Byron Leftwich? That's what he is. He is being way overrated.

Mr_437

Reaction score

Makes him available for DAL in Round 6...sweet!!! I still like the player, tho. But, I agree he's gonna have a hard road in the league.

Stidham and Grier will have better careers than Haskins. Both guys can make every throw. Haskins to me, looks like he stares down his man and makes mistakes. Relies on his arm strength. Can you say, Byron Leftwich? That's what he is. He is being way overrated.
I'm all for the Cowboys going after Grier...think he'd do well with Kellen n Kitna. Stidham I don't like as much, but wouldn't bark about him being drafted either. Rush n White need some real competition!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Makes him available for DAL in Round 6...sweet!!! I still like the player, tho. But, I agree he's gonna have a hard road in the league.

I'm all for the Cowboys going after Grier...think he'd do well with Kellen n Kitna. Stidham I don't like as much, but wouldn't bark about him being drafted either. Rush n White need some real competition!
mike white is sneaky good. Reminds me of steve walsh...comes from a pass happy system too. Rush is on the hot seat, and hasn't looked that good.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Where do you expect him to get picked?

It's tough to say, and the fact I haven't been following the draft much this year doesn't help either.

The way I see it:

-He tested as a 20th percentile NFL athlete via SPARQ, with a middling height-weight-speed score, so the sabermetrics crowd isn't going to love him.
-He's basically an inside power back, there's no real sexy "offensive weapon" type appeal that would get teams reaching for him.
-It's a very, very thin year for RBs, so demand may push him up.
-It feels like RB value in the league is creeping up a bit. A bunch of guys went in the first and second last year.

All in all, I would guess late 2nd, early 3rd.

morasp

Reaction score
David Montgomery has been my pet cat this offseason, so I really enjoyed this Rotoworld writer standing on the table for him.

I don't even know why. We don't even need a RB that badly. But he's just so fun to watch.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/nfl-draft-rb-rankings?page=0

Here's a cutup to wash that all down.

It would be nice to give Zeke a few less touches and still be able to run the ball. Not to mention where we'll be if he gets hurt.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Got watching Ed Oliver tape today, with news that the Cowboys are interested in him. Just wanted to confirm that he's the real deal and not the result of media hype.

Yep, he's the real deal.

His tape is skewed a bit, since he's going up against a notch lower of competition than your average Power 5 prospect. NFL linemen are going to be a lot stronger than the guys at Rice. That being said... wow. His power is just on another level. Watch 1:44 above, 0:28 too for one of the cleanest stack and sheds you're going to see. And the kind of speed he has for a DT is rare to see. I think the LB talk with him is kind of ridiculous, but you don't see many DTs track runners down from behind like he does. His size doesn't bother me much in light of Atkins and Donald's success, and his combo of NT power and LB speed is just incredible.

People like to compare him to Donald because of their frames, but Donald was a gap shooter and a technically impeccable hand fighter, whereas Oliver seems kind of unrefined and wins more on raw strength right now. The guy he reminds me of more than anything is Ndamukong Suh minus 20 pounds.

In any other draft, I think he'd be a top 10 pick for sure, but this year is staggeringly good at DL. There are five other D linemen I can think of who have legit top 10 hopes themselves (Bosa, Big Q, Allen, Sweat, Gary), and Oliver's square-peg size might get him lost in the wash among the overwhelming amount of talent. My early guess is that he'll fall out of the top 10 due to all the "prototype" edge rushers available, and then he'll become this year's version of Derwin James.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Here's a breakdown on him by ex NFL DL'er Stephen White. He doesn't really dive into the technical nuance that he usually does, but he makes some good points that I didn't notice.

-Houston played Oliver on the nose for reasons unknown. He didn't get many chances to play 3 tech.
-His technique isn't as bad as I thought it was.
-He is a heck of a hustler, which would play very well in our defense.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2...-oliver-scouting-report-breakdown-pass-rusher

Reactions: BAT

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Got watching Ed Oliver tape today, with news that the Cowboys are interested in him. Just wanted to confirm that he's the real deal and not the result of media hype.

Yep, he's the real deal.

His tape is skewed a bit, since he's going up against a notch lower of competition than your average Power 5 prospect. NFL linemen are going to be a lot stronger than the guys at Rice. That being said... wow. His power is just on another level. Watch 1:44 above, 0:28 too for one of the cleanest stack and sheds you're going to see. And the kind of speed he has for a DT is rare to see. I think the LB talk with him is kind of ridiculous, but you don't see many DTs track runners down from behind like he does. His size doesn't bother me much in light of Atkins and Donald's success, and his combo of NT power and LB speed is just incredible.

People like to compare him to Donald because of their frames, but Donald was a gap shooter and a technically impeccable hand fighter, whereas Oliver seems kind of unrefined and wins more on raw strength right now. The guy he reminds me of more than anything is Ndamukong Suh minus 20 pounds.

In any other draft, I think he'd be a top 10 pick for sure, but this year is staggeringly good at DL. There are five other D linemen I can think of who have legit top 10 hopes themselves (Bosa, Big Q, Allen, Sweat, Gary), and Oliver's square-peg size might get him lost in the wash among the overwhelming amount of talent. My early guess is that he'll fall out of the top 10 due to all the "prototype" edge rushers available, and then he'll become this year's version of Derwin James.

Randy White...