2020 Compensatory Picks

tayloner

Reaction score
If I'm interpreting everything from Over The Cap correctly, we still could get up to 3 compensatory picks in next year's draft (although more likely it's only 1). Right now it's projected that we won't receive any because the Cole Beasley, Damien Wilson and Geoff Swaim free agent deals were cancelled out by the Randall Cobb, Christian Covington and George Iloka signings. But, if any of these players are released before week 10 of the 2020 season (like we did with Deonte Thompson last year), the cancellations are null and void. Both Wilson and Swaim signed for around $2.8mm per year, which would put them at the high end of the round 7 comp picks, and Beasley got $7.2mm per year which would put him on the border between a 5th and 6th.

The only way I see Cobb being cut is because of injury, and even though Iloka was signed to basically a vet minimum contract, we don't have much behind him unless our 6th rounder Donovan Wilson really steps up quick. Covington on the other hand, we have a ton of depth on the defensive line including a few talented UDFA's, so unless he comes in and has an out-of-nowhere effect like Antwaun Woods had last year, I think I'd be surprised if he was long for the roster.

It'd be nice to pick up at least one additional 7th, if not two, to make up for the 6th rounder we gave up for Robert Quinn. I'm not 100% sure I have all the details about how compensatory picks work nailed down, but I *think* all this is accurate. The 2021 draft will probably be compensatory pick heaven considering how many free agents we have next year, and that should make Cowboys fans very happy given how young our team is overall and how well the front office has continued to draft in recent years.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/
https://overthecap.com/draft/

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If I'm interpreting everything from Over The Cap correctly, we still could get up to 3 compensatory picks in next year's draft (although more likely it's only 1). Right now it's projected that we won't receive any because the Cole Beasley, Damien Wilson and Geoff Swaim free agent deals were cancelled out by the Randall Cobb, Christian Covington and George Iloka signings. But, if any of these players are released before week 10 of the 2020 season (like we did with Deonte Thompson last year), the cancellations are null and void. Both Wilson and Swaim signed for around $2.8mm per year, which would put them at the high end of the round 7 comp picks, and Beasley got $7.2mm per year which would put him on the border between a 5th and 6th.

The only way I see Cobb being cut is because of injury, and even though Iloka was signed to basically a vet minimum contract, we don't have much behind him unless our 6th rounder Donovan Wilson really steps up quick. Covington on the other hand, we have a ton of depth on the defensive line including a few talented UDFA's, so unless he comes in and has an out-of-nowhere effect like Antwaun Woods had last year, I think I'd be surprised if he was long for the roster.

It'd be nice to pick up at least one additional 7th, if not two, to make up for the 6th rounder we gave up for Robert Quinn. I'm not 100% sure I have all the details about how compensatory picks work nailed down, but I *think* all this is accurate. The 2021 draft will probably be compensatory pick heaven considering how many free agents we have next year, and that should make Cowboys fans very happy given how young our team is overall and how well the front office has continued to draft in recent years.

I can see Cobb getting cut/traded. We have a lot at WR, much of it overlapping skill sets. 3 veterans in Hurns, Austin, and Cobb. People need to look at the productivity per target for Austin for the season, and Hurns had from game 7 on. It was great.

Last 4 years, Cobb's yards per target have been meh. Extra meh last year. Every returning WR and TE did better. Even Rico. And he was awful.

(Pro Football Reference shows Yards Per Target now! Yay!)

I've heard the same about our comp picks.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Too much worrying about Comp picks

A 7th round Comp pick is basically an 8th round pick

You can get those by just moving back a few spots in the late rounds

jujoboys

Reaction score

I don't understand. Are you hoping that our free agent acquisitions don't work out so we can acquire more 7th round draft choices?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't see us getting any comp picks at this time. Unless you are right and someone beats out Covington. Possibly Iloka, but my bet he beats out Heath, then heath gets beat by Wilson. But I think they keep all 3. Also depends on the numbers of how many they keep in each group.

If they want the 6th round pick back, they can always trade down, or if this roster is as deep as it seems, they can trade a player or 2 and get extra picks.

Or, as usual, do some of us, as I am doing right now, over value the players thinking they are better than what they are. Many thought this last year, but yet the players were released and none was picked up, or if they were, they have not been an impact for those new teams.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I don't understand. Are you hoping that our free agent acquisitions don't work out so we can acquire more 7th round draft choices?
Not necessarily, or at least I don't think.

Look at the Patriots. They have significant roster turnover every season, and had the most picks in the draft (before trades) coming off of a Super Bowl season. Comp picks are an important aspect of roster building, and can sometimes get you more picks in the third round too.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I can say with certainty that Beasley will not be cut. He is set to shatter all receiving records in Buffalo as the Dallas Cowboys clearly conspired to hold back the rapping, renaissance, Renoir of receivers. Just ask him - he will tell you.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Look at the Patriots. They have significant roster turnover every season, and had the most picks in the draft (before trades) coming off of a Super Bowl season. Comp picks are an important aspect of roster building, and can sometimes get you more picks in the third round too.

Hey congrats on the Hurricanes. They are on fire. A matchup with Columbus would be awesome.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

The Pats lost their starting LT, their starting DE and 2 of the starting WRs and their star TE

They can take chances because they have banked so much winning capital but they lost a lot of talent

jujoboys

Reaction score

But the Patriots aren't relying on 7th round comp picks to make them better. They received a 3rd round pick for losing Nate Solder. A 3rd Round pick for losing Malcolm Butler. A 6th pick for Danny Amendola. A 7th round pick for Cameron Fleming. Those 3rd round picks are the key.

So how would you have felt if the Cowboys 2019 offseason went like this? We passed on signing any free agents so it did not hurt our comp pick calculation. We decided to let Demarcus Lawrence sign somewhere else so we could get a 3rd round comp pick in 2020 (Patriots just did that with Trey Flowers). Cole Beasley probably gets us 6th round compensation. Damien Wilson probably did not get enough to get us a 7th round pick.

Next year we could really rack up on 3rd round picks for 2021. We could let Dak, Zeke, Amari, and Byron Jones all walk out the building. Not sign anyone in free agency and have 4 3rd round picks in 2021.

The Patriot way works because they have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

as of now the Pats are expected to have 14 picks next year. 3 - 3rd (two from comp picks)

tayloner

Reaction score
Too much worrying about Comp picks

A 7th round Comp pick is basically an 8th round pick

You can get those by just moving back a few spots in the late rounds

ha, "too much worrying about comp picks." A team that has 35+ free agents next year should be acquiring as many future picks as they can to continue building depth on the roster. You make a great point about a 7th round compensatory pick essentially being an 8th round pick, and those "8th round" picks are valuable because it's basically one undrafted free agent they control instead of having to fight for. I guess I'm the only one excited about the chance of finding the next Romo, Miles Austin, Jay Ratliff, or one of our other 7th round or UDFA finds, for FREE. I repeat, for FREE!

tayloner

Reaction score

Yes, that's basically exactly what I'm rooting for. But I think you and I define "don't work out" differently. Deonte Thompson was a really good signing last year, cheap and experienced and good for depth. But other players on the roster outperformed him enough to make it worth it to cut him at the right time, which allowed us to keep a pick that turned into one of Tony Pollard/Michael Jackson.

So I guess what I'm rooting for is the young players on our team to step up and make the free agent veterans we've signed (and really only Covington because I see Cobb and Iloka being too valuable down the stretch) expendable, because that's the sign of a team that drafts well and stays young.