2020 draft

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Mayfield and Murray failed at their former schools.
Mayfield was stuck behind a prodigy at Texas Tech.

Murray was highly recruited and was one of three 5-star QBs who wanted no part of Kevin Sumlin and transferred out of A&M.

I agree that Lincoln Riley is elite but he wasn't exactly working with Cooper Rush caliber scrubs.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Mayfield was stuck behind a prodigy at Texas Tech.

Murray was highly recruited and was one of three 5-star QBs who wanted no part of Kevin Sumlin and transferred out of A&M.

I agree that Lincoln Riley is elite but he wasn't exactly working with Cooper Rush caliber scrubs.

Mayfield was a walk on. He was not viewed as great talent.

Murray flamed out at A&M. And the other poster said Jalen Hurts isn't as athletic, the guy just broke a record the other night with total yards that neither Mayfield or Murray set. I'm going to say Hurts is quite athletic. His issue is if he will become a more consistent passer, he has the potential to be a dangerous dual threat. Riley's coaching, for at least one week, seems to be paying off.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Mayfield was a walk on. He was not viewed as great talent.

Murray flamed out at A&M. And the other poster said Jalen Hurts isn't as athletic, the guy just broke a record the other night with total yards that neither Mayfield or Murray set. I'm going to say Hurts is quite athletic. His issue is if he will become a more consistent passer, he has the potential to be a dangerous dual threat. Riley's coaching, for at least one week, seems to be paying off.

At A&M...In his first start, Murray threw for 223 yards and rushed for 156 yards with a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown, making him and Cam Newton the only Southeastern Conference quarterbacks in the past 20 years to gain over 100 yards passing and rushing, including a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown in their first career start

As far as Hurts, I think he compares very well to college Dak. Hurts is not the passer the other guys are, but a year under Riley will help him tremendously. Personally, I think Hurts is so athletic that he can be a Taysom Hill-like weapon in the NFL. They are almost the exact same size, Hurts is faster.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
At A&M...In his first start, Murray threw for 223 yards and rushed for 156 yards with a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown, making him and Cam Newton the only Southeastern Conference quarterbacks in the past 20 years to gain over 100 yards passing and rushing, including a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown in their first career start

As far as Hurts, I think he compares very well to college Dak. Hurts is not the passer the other guys are, but a year under Riley will help him tremendously. Personally, I think Hurts is so athletic that he can be a Taysom Hill-like weapon in the NFL. They are almost the exact same size, Hurts is faster.

Not sure what your quote is supposed to mean - I pointed out Mayfield and Murray didn’t have the amount of total yards in their full time at Oklahoma than Hurts had, which the other person argued that he wasn’t as athletic. But I mean, the way Murray’s career went at A&M is already written - he simply wasn’t the QB people expected and my other point was that Mayfield wasn’t viewed as a great player. He got limited offers and was a walk on - that was Riley’s project.

If an undersized Murray and project Mayfield can become first overall picks, I see no reason Hurts can’t when he certainly has traits that make him an intersting QB prospect

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I see no reason Hurts can’t when he certainly has traits that make him an intersting QB prospect
I hear you. I just don't think Hurts has the passing ability as those other guys. I think Lincoln will do wonders for Jalen and his draft value, just not sure he can elevate him to #1 overall pick tyoe value.

I'd need to see Hurts improve as someone who can read defenses, progress through reads, and make the NFL throws..the deep out, the skinny post or seem route in that zone lapse between linebacker and safety, then can he take something off it and put in that perfect spot for a crossing route with a guy on his back. Hurts is an incredible athlete and has a strong arm; I'm just not sure he's an NFL decision maker. Watching him last weekend and in his Alabama games, he really reminds me of Mississippi State Dak (who I hated as a prospect by the way, so maybe don't listen to me). Whereas the first time I saw Patrick Mahomes play against Baylor, I thought he was a more athletic Aaron Rodgers. Mahomes could make every single NFL throw and he was fearless doing it.

Hurts has 11 more games (14 if you count, Big12 championship game, at least 1 playoff game, and the Senior Bowl which I really hope he attends) to show he can become "that guy". Unfortunately, 12 or13 of those games will be against less than stellar defenses (9 Big12 defenses, UCLA, South Dakota, and an all-star team). Maybe Texas and whoever they would play in a playoff game will give him a real test.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I see Jalen Hurts passing skills lowering his draft stock significantly. I agree with the comps to Dak. Actually, Hurts seems like the type of QB who could be the backup to Dak.

If we talking replacing #4 gotta go Fromm, Eason, Love because I don't see That or Herbert being available and I don't want either anyway.

bodi

Reaction score
if dallas does make the mistake in signing Dak

i'd look at

Sam Ehlinger*, QB, Texas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 235.
Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
Projected Round (2020): 3-5.
9/5/19: Against Louisiana Tech, Ehlinger completed 28-of-38 passes for 276 yards with four touchdowns and zero interceptions.

8/15/19: Ehlinger was much improved in 2018, displaying more skills as a pocket passer and improved accuracy. He competed 65 percent of his passes on the year for 3,292 yards with 25 touchdowns and five interceptions. That was a big jump from the previous year with 58 percent completed for 1,915 yards with 11 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

looks a lot like Dak

bodi

Reaction score
i like what i see in

JORDAN LOVE 6-4 / 225

INSIGHT ON LOVE: Is very accurate, especially with his deep throws, and has a strong arm... A good athlete... A natural leader and a great teammate... Has a high football IQ and executes the offense at a high rate.

yea some one to watch

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
i like what i see in

JORDAN LOVE 6-4 / 225

INSIGHT ON LOVE: Is very accurate, especially with his deep throws, and has a strong arm... A good athlete... A natural leader and a great teammate... Has a high football IQ and executes the offense at a high rate.

yea some one to watch

I had a bet with a coach on my staff last year on Utah State (he played there) vs Michigan State (where I attend grad school). We watched the game at a sports bar before our game. Michigan State barely won the game, but we both came way from that game super impressed with Jordan Love. Then we got to attend the BYU/Utah State on our road game in Utah, and since he's an alum, we were able to watch the game on the sideline. Love threw 4 TD's. I don't know who he reminds me of, but he's definitely an NFL QB.

bodi

Reaction score
here another QB i liked last year

Brian Lewerke, QB, Michigan State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2020): 4-6.
9/12/19: This season, Lewerke has completed 64 percent of his passes for 506 yards with four touchdowns and an interception.

8/15/19: Lewerke has flashed at times during his collegiate career but has not been consistently productive. As a junior, he completed 54 percent of his passes for 2,040 yards with eight touchdowns and 11 interceptions. In 2017, Lewerke completed 59 percent of his passes for 2,580 yards with 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He needs to dislay improved accuracy in 2019.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
1 Jake Fromm, QB Georgia

He has a great skill set and was the very early favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. He struggled versus LSU, but that doesn't appear to be a downward trend.

trade away lots of picks
This aged terribly

bodi

Reaction score
Jacob Eason, Washington

If you look at the Huskies during this young season, you can obviously see that Eason's performance directly ties to their success. In U-Dubs' two wins, the Georgia transfer has averaged 305 passing yards and totaled seven touchdowns while completing 74 percent of his passes. In the Huskies' loss to Cal, he completed 18 of 30 passes for 162 yards, no TDs and his lone interception on the season. Washington heads to battle-tested BYU this week in what could be a trap game of sorts — quarterbacks have found the Cougars defense to be much improved. Eason must continue to find his playmakers like Hunter Bryant and take a big "W" back to Seattle.

cowboyec

Reaction score
keep your QBs.
give us 6'7 Alabama DL Raekwon Davis.
please and thank you.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Jordan Fuller,S-Ohio St
Damon Arnette,CB-Ohio St

couple Buckeyes to watch for our secondary.