2020 NCAA Football Thread

DFWJC

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the kid OU just got is a Pro QB Prospect. He's not like the QBs Ohio State has recruited these past few years. Ewers is the real deal. If OU can't develop that kid, then that's probably a really bad statement for the program, in terms of developing QB talent. No more excuses for Ohio State now IMO.
You're confusing me with "OU". You're not referring to Oklahoma are you, ABQ?

Anyway, Ewers is incredible

He may flip again now that Herman's gone. Texas may end up with him after all.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm a MB fan so yeah, I'm definitely pulling for UNC.
Unfortunately, I hear UNC will be missing many of their very best players for this one. 4 top NFL prospects plus a couple of others as well.

Opting out are:
  • LB Chazz Suraat (1st team All-ACC)
  • RB Micheal Carter (PFF 1st team All-Amerian)
  • RB Jevonte Willaims (Kiper's #3 RB draft prospect)
  • WR Dyami Brown (AP 3rd team All-American, 1st team All-ACC)

HUGE advantage for A&M.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I hear UNC will be missing many of their very best players for this one. 4 top NFL prospects plus a couple of others as well.

Opting out are:

HUGE advantage for A&M.
I get why these guys sit out, but it's still really disappointing.

UNC is on the rise, recruiting and playing well, and Mack is trying to get them into the top 10 regularly.

Playing the highest-ranked team not the College Football Playoff was a nice opportunity.
#5 TAMU would've been a nice win if they could pull it off.

But that probably won't happen with all of their top NFL prospects out. They don't have depth that the very top teams have.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I get why these guys sit out, but it's still really disappointing.

UNC is on the rise, recruiting and playing well, and Mack is trying to get them into the top 10 regularly.

Playing the highest-ranked team not the College Football Playoff was a nice opportunity.
#5 TAMU would've been a nice win if they could pull it off.

But that probably won't happen with all of their top NFL prospects out. They don't have depth that the very top teams have.
Definitely missing their RBs and WR. And 3rd string RB is out injuries.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Did I imagine the arse whipping ND got yesterday too?
Or the one they took versus Clemson 4 days before the CFP selections?
You thought you had a cute point but you didn't.
You could have just kinda let is go when you were behind.

Now you gotta get dragged as bad as ND did their last two games for no reason.
Raised you hand and begged for the dunce cap.
Honest question: Are you being deliberately belligerent or are you just a complete moron?

The discussion at hand is not Alabama versus Notre Dame. If that were the discussion I would take Alabama every single day of the week and twice on Saturday. Quite honestly, I am amazed the game was as close as it was.

The discussion at hand was who should have gotten that #4 spot: ND or A&M. While there was no overwhelming preference between those 2 teams, ND simply had the stronger resume. I supported my point with facts and stats. You supported your point by delving into the world of make believe. Your play-pretend proves how weak your thesis was. And oh, by the way, A&M didn't do any better when they played Alabama than ND did.

I really cannot dumb it down any further than that so if you still find your head spinning, you're on your own there. Just take the L and move on.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Honest question: Are you being deliberately belligerent or are you just a complete moron?

The discussion at hand is not Alabama versus Notre Dame. If that were the discussion I would take Alabama every single day of the week and twice on Saturday. Quite honestly, I am amazed the game was as close as it was.

The discussion at hand was who should have gotten that #4 spot: ND or A&M. While there was no overwhelming preference between those 2 teams, ND simply had the stronger resume. I supported my point with facts and stats. You supported your point by delving into the world of make believe. Your play-pretend proves how weak your thesis was. And oh, by the way, A&M didn't do any better when they played Alabama than ND did.

I really cannot dumb it down any further than that so if you still find your head spinning, you're on your own there. Just take the L and move on.

You have offered exactly zero salient points towards me in this thread prior to this post.
You just whined to dismiss my points on a weird tangent that meant nothing and ignored all context of what I stated.
At least now you are trying to say something, anything, of substance. That I can actually respond to.

ND was not "very good" on a week to week basis in games I watched.
They certainly did enough to win but didn't blow me away with talent on either side of the ball.
They won 1 game in double OT versus a back up QB and also lost a game 5 days before the selection show versus that same team that was a one-sided beatdown.

TAMU was basically the same situation of not "very good" minus needing any excuses. They looked hot and cold at times.
They lost one game bad. BUT it was week 2 when they lost.
They beat the SEC West champs and only lost to Bama. --who I fully believe will beat everyone they play by double digits.
They hadn't lost a game since week 2 of the season.

No SEC team had ever lost only 1 game and missed the CFP before.

The ACC was a soft conference as I pointed out long before they went 0-6 in Bowl games.
ND finished 2nd in that conf that frankly wasn't worthy of 2 CFP teams.

Go back to my original post:

I would have put
1. Bama -easily 1.
2. Clemson -undefeated with TL and NFL guys everywhere.
3. TAMU -1 loss SEC team that faced the SEC West guantlet plus Florida and hadn't lost in 2+ months.
4. OSU 6 win B1G champ with NFL talent galore gets in but penalty of games played means you get Bama in Semis.

I have zero ties to any of those teams so that's how I viewed them with zero fan bias.

ND and TAMU ended up with two common opponents. They both lost to Bama easily and both beat UNC by about 2 TDs.
They were probably about the same overall.
But in 30 years of watching NCAA football the when you lose has always mattered quite a lot.
And in this case TAMU lost far earlier in season and was on a solid 10+ point per game SIX WEEKS winning streak in the SEC West.

Ghost12

Reaction score
You have offered exactly zero salient points towards me in this thread prior to this post.
I have stated consistently and repeatedly that when choosing the top 4 (meaning that we are going back in time a couple weeks), ND had the better resume. I guess I have to state it again: Each team got whupped once by top-ranked teams. However, ND’s strength of victory was better than A&M’s.
They won 1 game in double OT versus a back up QB and also lost a game 5 days before the selection show versus that same team that was a one-sided beatdown.
That backup QB is a baller who threw 400 ypg when he played. You’ll be hearing more from him.
No SEC team had ever lost only 1 game and missed the CFP before.
Here is yet another weak argument you are making. What happened last year, 2 years ago or 5 years ago has zero bearing on this year, and that’s the way it should be.

Normally having 1 loss in the SEC West would be a huge accomplishment but fact is all the teams in the SEC West which A&M beat this year sucked. Auburn was the only one who (barely) squeaked out a winning record. There’s just no impressive victories in division play for A&M.

So then what’s A&M’s marquee win? They beat 3-loss Florida (the team that got absolutely trounced by OU). The playoff committee rightfully decided that:

Wins over 1 Loss Clemson + 3 loss UNC > Win over 3 loss Florida
But in 30 years of watching NCAA football the when you lose has always mattered quite a lot.
Fortunately the CFP committee doesn’t subscribe to that ridiculously antiquated and illogical way of thinking. Oh sure the morons in the media all demonstrate recency bias, but the CFP has demonstrated they are above that. Thankfully, mediots no longer determine who plays in the championship game. Why should a loss at the beginning of the season be disregarded? Why reward A&M for failing to make their own CCG? If they had to play their CCG against Alabama (yes I know that couldn’t happen since they are in the same division) then they’d have 2 losses. So you want to reward them for not even playing that extra game which ND had to? Makes no sense.

You need to join the 21st Century. The CFP has done a great job of (A) not being biased by things that happened in previous years, and (B) not having the same recency bias we see from the media. And that’s 100% the way it should be.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Fortunately the CFP committee doesn’t subscribe to that ridiculously antiquated and illogical way of thinking. Oh sure the morons in the media all demonstrate recency bias, but the CFP has demonstrated they are above that. Thankfully, mediots no longer determine who plays in the championship game. Why should a loss at the beginning of the season be disregarded? Why reward A&M for failing to make their own CCG? If they had to play their CCG against Alabama (yes I know that couldn’t happen since they are in the same division) then they’d have 2 losses. So you want to reward them for not even playing that extra game which ND had to? Makes no sense.
Ohio State would have failed to meet their CCG had he Big10 not altered the rules for them. That in itself ruins the entire "competition" part of the entire ordeal. I am by no means saying that OSU didn't look great, because they did, but had it not been for a retcon, it would have been different.

Same could be said for the SEC, had they absolved the divisions A&M would have had a chance to at least prove that the 2nd week loss was a fluke, or they lose by 18+ again and are obviously not worthy of a playoff spot.

And what's the difference between A&M beating a 3 loss Florida not being so impressive as opposed to ND beating a 3 loss UNC? That's a wash. ND did beat Clemson with a backup QB, 2+ defensive starters out and did it in double overtime..but what makes UNC any more impressive than Florida?

The 4 team CFP selection is far too small, it should be at least 6 but really 8. There are still far too many variables that allow us to have these nit-picking conversations, diluting the entire competitive argument.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I have stated consistently and repeatedly that when choosing the top 4 (meaning that we are going back in time a couple weeks), ND had the better resume. I guess I have to state it again: Each team got whupped once by top-ranked teams. However, ND’s strength of victory was better than A&M’s.
That backup QB is a baller who threw 400 ypg when he played. You’ll be hearing more from him.
Here is yet another weak argument you are making. What happened last year, 2 years ago or 5 years ago has zero bearing on this year, and that’s the way it should be.

Normally having 1 loss in the SEC West would be a huge accomplishment but fact is all the teams in the SEC West which A&M beat this year sucked. Auburn was the only one who (barely) squeaked out a winning record. There’s just no impressive victories in division play for A&M.

So then what’s A&M’s marquee win? They beat 3-loss Florida (the team that got absolutely trounced by OU). The playoff committee rightfully decided that:

Wins over 1 Loss Clemson + 3 loss UNC > Win over 3 loss Florida

You need to join the 21st Century. The CFP has done a great job of (A) not being biased by things that happened in previous years, and (B) not having the same recency bias we see from the media. And that’s 100% the way it should be.
None of what you posted was true.
Other than that good job good effort, I guess.
The CFP committee has ALWAYS been about brand names and large fan followings to drive chatter and ratings.
In another words it has always been about money.
ND has not beaten a top 10 team in a bowl game since 1994 when I was still in college.
The 17 point loss to Bama was a 10 point improvement over the 27 point beatdown they faced last time they made a CFP Semi.

The CFP has failed because it refuses to consider anything but blue bloods who can drive ratings up.
If they ran the NFL Dallas would make the playoffs every year at 6-10.
They have and will continue to favor the same teams over and over.
As such they create a recruiting pipeline as the only way to get to the playoffs is choice their favored schools.
Go undefeated at Cincy? No chance. But lose by double digits in a non-competive game at ND, golden.
Football Jesus indeed.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Ohio State would have failed to meet their CCG had he Big10 not altered the rules for them. That in itself ruins the entire "competition" part of the entire ordeal. I am by no means saying that OSU didn't look great, because they did, but had it not been for a retcon, it would have been different.
OSU was in the top 4 in every CFP poll. They didn’t need that CCG victory to go to the playoffs. If anything, they suffered from the Big 10 altering the rules because that added a game they may have lost to their schedule.

And what's the difference between A&M beating a 3 loss Florida not being so impressive as opposed to ND beating a 3 loss UNC? That's a wash. ND did beat Clemson with a backup QB, 2+ defensive starters out and did it in double overtime..but what makes UNC any more impressive than Florida?
I agree the UNC and Florida wins are a wash, so let's throw them out.

Even with Clemson missing a few players, there is no team that A&M beat that even remotely compares to ND's victory over Clemson. Those SEC West teams that A&M beat just weren't good this year. The best of them just got their ***** handed to them by Northwestern.
The 4 team CFP selection is far too small, it should be at least 6 but really 8. There are still far too many variables that allow us to have these nit-picking conversations, diluting the entire competitive argument.
Oh I absolutely agree they should expand to 8, including automatic bids for conference champs.

Last edited:

Ghost12

Reaction score
None of what you posted was true.
Other than that good job good effort, I guess.
The CFP committee has ALWAYS been about brand names and large fan followings to drive chatter and ratings.
Now you are further demonstrating your obscene ignorance. The CFP has consistently followed the exact same formula every year (bearing in mind this only applies to P5 teams and Notre Dame so don't start up with UCF or Coastal Carolina or any nonsense like that)

1) Take the teams with the fewest number of losses
2) When you have teams tied after step 1, take the teams that won their CCG
3) When you have teams tied after step 2, take the teams with the best strength of victory

Go apply the above formula to every season since the CFP came into existence, and you will see it regularly predicts the final 4. (NOTE: My formula does not necessarily predict the exact order; it accurately predicts who's in and who's out)
In another words it has always been about money.
ND has not beaten a top 10 team in a bowl game since 1994 when I was still in college.
You keep mentioning previous years as if that has some relevance on the present. Another one of your many, many logical fallacies.

They beat the #1 team this year, which the CFP considers pretty important. They don't give 2 turds what happened in 2004.
The CFP has failed because it refuses to consider anything but blue bloods who can drive ratings up.
The CFP follows a very set formula, as I outlined above.

And as for picking "brand names and large fan followings".... well no ****, sherlock. The best teams in college football regularly make the playoffs. Also, the best teams in college football have the biggest fan followings. Gee, what a coincidence!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know it hurts to hear this, but you need to face reality: ND got in over A&M because, as I have demonstrated repeatedly, they had the more impressive resume. There was no grand conspiracy to take the larger national following.
Go undefeated at Cincy? No chance.
And, as was proven 2 days ago, there is a reason the Group of 5 teams have no chance. The best G5 team couldn't even beat an SEC also-ran.

Seriously, child, take the L and move on. You're just continuing to humiliate yourself here.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup. Only answer, expand the playoffs. I'm for 16. Could the 16th team beat the 1 team? Prolly not, but a team should earn their shot to play in the playoffs. In most leagues over all sports, the bottom team simply is not going to win it all. Doesn't mean they should simply vote for who they think is best. Let them play.

Danny Kannel had a great playoff bracket. I think it was 24 teams. Check it out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're confusing me with "OU". You're not referring to Oklahoma are you, ABQ?

Anyway, Ewers is incredible

He may flip again now that Herman's gone. Texas may end up with him after all.

No. I'm talking about Ohio State but apparently the S didn't make it into the OU! LOL........

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Opting out are:

HUGE advantage for A&M.

Well, they sure needed em. TAMU ran rough shot over them unfortunately.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, they sure needed em. TAMU ran rough shot over them unfortunately.
Tie game with 3:44 to go.

Very close game until the last 3 minutes.
Close all the way until a huge 74 yard TD run and then UNC going for it in desperation on their end ofthe field.
Final score not at indicative.
Good game and congrats to the Aggies

But yes, missing 4 absolute star players not playing made it an uphill battle for the Heels.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tie game with 3:44 to go.

Very close game until the last 3 minutes.
Close all the way until a huge 74 yard TD run and then UNC going for it in desperation on their end ofthe field.
Final score not at indicative.
Good game and congrats to the Aggies

But yes, missing 4 absolute star players not playing made it an uphill battle for the Heels.

To me, the deeper team won there. I felt like Tamu just wore UNC out. Heels were able to put pressure on A&M early but kinda wore down late. If TAMU had a decent QB, rather the Mond, they might be pretty good IMO. UNC has a few things to work on, but they made huge strides this season under Mack Brown. Few more good recruiting years and they could be pretty darn good.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
To me, the deeper team won there. I felt like Tamu just wore UNC out. Heels were able to put pressure on A&M early but kinda wore down late. If TAMU had a decent QB, rather the Mond, they might be pretty good IMO. UNC has a few things to work on, but they made huge strides this season under Mack Brown. Few more good recruiting years and they could be pretty darn good.
It's bittersweet watching Mac Brown gain traction, but I applaud what he's building over there.

Fingers crossed that Haynes King can bring more to the table than what Kind was able to do, A&M could be nasty next year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's bittersweet watching Mac Brown gain traction, but I applaud what he's building over there.

Fingers crossed that Haynes King can bring more to the table than what Kind was able to do, A&M could be nasty next year.

Jimbo Fisher is a pretty good coach. Texas should have went out and got him, he wanted to come to Texas. Oh well......

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Jimbo Fisher is a pretty good coach. Texas should have went out and got him, he wanted to come to Texas. Oh well......
Funny thing is at the beginning of the season? So many around town were ready to ship Jimbo out. Of course it were the same folks that grew tired of Mond as well, so that played a big part into their disdain.

Y'all seem to have a stand up gentleman coming in though :rolleyes: In all seriousness, good luck with that.