2020 NCAA Football Thread

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
no, they didn't. which makes it ever worse.
they cancelled and then drug it out a long time.
starting that late is just weird.
They also didn't leave themselves much room for makeup games if necessary.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various across thread:

Big 12 is easily the 3rd strongest conference behind SEC and B1G.
They'll remain there as long they have only 10 teams.
It's financially a boon but pretty bad for actual football, footprint and rankings.

ISU ALWAYS starts seasons like trash then gets it together under a really good coach.
They'll still likely finish around 3rd/4th in the Big 12.

KSU has been bad without the legend coaching.
Most people felt they made a good hire but that is a really tough job only Snyder could excel at IMHO.

Kansas is awful and may always be in football.

Tech... losing the long time Air Raid advantage has killed the program. Kliff is a great offensive coach and developer of QBs but they never hired a top notch recruiting coordinator to get him talent.
Wells is a solid enough coach but he went with his guys instead of adding great Texas recruiters to the staff. Huge mistake.
Matt Rhule did the opposite at Baylor and now he is coaching in the NFL....
You gotta recruit first and foremost.

Baylor is a sleeper as they are in a superb recruiting location. If they stop assaulting women they'll be a top 20 team long term,

It'll be a down year in Big 12 as a league as MANY teams search for their QB of the future.
TCU lost theirs recently and other teams are going with new or recycled guys.
UT/OU are going to be good this year and OU will be a serious national title threat.
Rattler is a far superior natural QB than Hurts but lacks that leadership.
Rattler is very much like Baker Mayfield to me.
Lots of swagger and talent but can rub folks the wrong way and be slightly entitled.
UT has a boat load of 4 star recruits Herman has now stock-piled.
But that team has to deal with being a target of every team even when they aren't very good.
It's a weird mantle to bear.

ACC is still bad football outside Clemson BUT UNC and Mack Brown are trying to get them a 2nd top-tier team.
He can give that conf a second consistent top 20 program as MIA and others struggle.
No other major conference has as many just bad teams but Clemson is arguably the top team in college football and that matters quite a lot.

B1G is strong with it's footprint spread so far but this late start is crazy bad for recruiting and of course of being considered for the CFP.
PAC is just sitting out so can't that helps them at all and they were struggling along as a bottom feeding P5 before this.

All in all I am just glad to have some college football.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They also didn't leave themselves much room for makeup games if necessary.
Tech's team has had like 70 guys have COVID already.
It didn't make for a very pretty week 1 but they have now passed the worst of it.
B1G teams will now possibly face this in-season.

coogrfan

Reaction score
various across thread:

Big 12 is easily the 3rd strongest conference behind SEC and B1G.
Ya'll just had a weekend where you went 0-3 against the Sun Belt (and two of the games weren't even close). Maybe dial it back just a bit.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Ya'll just had a weekend where you went 0-3 against the Sun Belt (and two of the games weren't even close). Maybe dial it back just a bit.
The ACC will prove to be the 3rd best conference by end of the year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1 season won't change the overall standings no more than it would is the SEC or B1G had a rough season.

All that said...

https://thespun.com/college-footbal...ollege-footballs-strongest-conference-in-2020

The Big 12 currently has 6 teams in the top 25 of the FPI.
That's out of a 10 conf league. HALF the league is in the top 20 of FPI.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/season/2020/group/4

The ACC's issue is SIX schools rank 35 or lower in the reduced listing. That's almost half the league.
The Big12 has 2 such schools.

Instead it'll be more of the same:
2019 rankings...
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-football-conference-after-the-2019-20-season

Clemson is extremely good. Not exactly a hot take there.

But the rest of the ACC?

Oof.

Not only did Clemson plow through league play with almost no resistance, but the Tigers had as many wins (three) against the other four Power Five leagues (and Notre Dame) as the rest of the ACC combined. And Clemson did it with a 3-1 record, while the rest of the league went 3-21.
------------------------

How can the ACC rise?
Get Notre Dame in full-time permanently.
Have MIA or Va Tech or someone join UNC has a program on the rise.
If you get 1/3 of the league consistently in the top 20 you can live with a few pieces moving around the 21-35 area.

I was already clear the Big 12 isn't moving up out of 3rd unless they add teams. And that means the right teams in the right areas for recruiting. --probably Florida.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Iowa State lost to Louisiana
Kansas State lost to Arkansas State
Kansas lost to Coastal Carolina (again)
Texas Tech barely got by Houston Baptist, 35-33.

Now Tulsa leads 7-3 in Stillwater, where they've lost 21 straight games. Big XII looking kinda small. :muttley:

cowboyec

Reaction score
i do like that Miami QB...D'Eriq King.
nice arm.
good release.
smart.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Coogs are going to be rusty by the time they actually get to play a game.
My Pirates and Tarheels are having some delays too.

ECU finally is expected to have their 1st game tomorrow--but it's vs #13 UCF, so it could be ugly. :muttley:
UCF stomped Ga Tech in their 1st game 42-21. GT had beaten Fla State the week before.

11th ranked UNC hopes to finally play their 2nd game next week vs BC.

Guess we'll see if those games actually happen.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Haha he always talks up big 12. OKST got lucky against Tulsa.
The Big 12 has 3 losses hoss. The ACC has 8.
Perhaps it isn't I who needs to dial it back.

Got lucky? lol.
They won 16-7.
Looked like crap but won by 2 scores. Tulsa made ZERO 3rd down plays and went 1 of 4 on 4th down.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looks like the Pac12 finally reversed their stupid knee jerk decision and will play a 7 game schedule.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Big 12 has 3 losses hoss. The ACC has 8.
Perhaps it isn't I who needs to dial it back.

Got lucky? lol.
They won 16-7.
Looked like crap but won by 2 scores. Tulsa made ZERO 3rd down plays and went 1 of 4 on 4th down.
:laugh:Funny stuff, jt

I'm not in on this jousting on which conference is better, but
7 of those 8 losses you count were 100% impossible to prevent....because an ACC team was playing another ACC team!
It's really 8 out 9, btw, because ND (who always plays in the ACC in all non-football sports) is playing football in the ACC this year.

The ACC is 5-1 in OOC games
The one loss being when #14 UCF beat Wake like a drum

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't know if the Big XII is better than the ACC. That really doesn't matter to me. What I've seen the last several years and now at the start of this season is the Big XII doesn't look good. They might be better than the ACC, but so what. OU will probably win the conference again and then look poor in the BCS playoffs.