Twitter: 2021 roster bubble: Notable players who could be traded or cut

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't like the news, but the Cowboys have put themselves in Cap jeopardy with some of the overpriced contracts. One or the other has to go.

I think the Cowboys managed to get a bargain on the Jarwin contract (injury not withstanding) but I don't think they can get the same with Schultz, especially if he puts together back-to-back quality seasons.

Several bad contracts are about to cost them a bunch of players after this season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm willing to bet that they won't - or more accurately - can't. Schultz had virtually the exact season production-wise that Hunter Henry did last year. The same Hunter Henry that just signed a three-year, $37.5 million contract with the Patriots.

He's gone too, along with Connor Williams - a starter no matter what people's overall opinions are of the guy.

There's quite a list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/dallas-cowboys/

Thanks for the link.
I will need to update my list on my spreadsheet. Though some of these players will be released. Still quite a few players though.
Stephen better have a magic pen to keep some of them. :laugh: Just hope it is not a cursed pen. :muttley:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think we may have a few trade candidates for late round picks. Unless some team overpays for a few other players.
However, many fans over rate their own teams players thinking they can trade a few players. But for us it never happens. We tend to over rate our own players.
Come to think of it, has there been a long shot, dark horse TC / PS game star or stand out?

Like if they weren't on IR or on PUP, I think there could have bee a few, possibly, or wishful thinking, not sure. But now we are in the area, we may need to make a few trades to get a few players. If no one steps up for OL depth. We have half of the S's on covid list. DT now seems to be a question again, until Gallimore is healthy, as well as fan not so favorite Hill.

RB, can hardy be the 3rd RB or do they look elsewhere.

I think the third back will be Ralston. He'll get a few snaps as the fullback, play special teams and be the emergency back.

We will probably keep a back or two on the practice squad as well

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys managed to get a bargain on the Jarwin contract (injury not withstanding) but I don't think they can get the same with Schultz, especially if he puts together back-to-back quality seasons.

Several bad contracts are about to cost them a bunch of players after this season.

I don't think Schultz won't be re-signed because of those contracts. We're not going to pay two tight ends more than $5 million per year, so it's likely we won't try to re-sign him (or at least not for much) because of Jarwin's contract. If he outplays Jarwin, then it's possibly we cut Jarwin (saving $4.25 million) and apply that toward Schultz. In some ways, that would be the sensible thing to do because Jarwin is set to make $6 million next year and $7 million the year after that. The first two years of a four- or five-year deal for Schultz would probably be slightly less than that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Somebody tell me about Vernon Butler.

Also, please don’t consider a trade for Stephon Gilmore. Let’s not have an expensive 1 year rental on a 31 year old who tore his quad. Cowboys are a MASH tent as it is.

Here's all you need to know. Vernon Butler isn't 1/10th the cornerback that Stephon Gilmore is.

Make the trade.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would take a look at Vernon Butler. He has had the unenviable task of being on two teams that had beasts playing the very position he plays (Carolina with K. Short and Star L, and now Buffalo with Ed Oliver and Star L). Butler is a big man and seems the type Dallas would kick the tires on. Former 1st round talent, only 27 and cheap. He also plays a position that is not exactly super stout.

Yeah but wouldn't he run into the same beast situation here with Brent Urban and Carlos Watkins?

slick325

Reaction score
Yeah but wouldn't he run into the same beast situation here with Brent Urban and Carlos Watkins?

Unfortunately for him, 3 NFL teams in a row with nothing but studs ahead of you on the depth chart. Such is life for Vernon Butler, if he were to become a member of the Cowboys.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that they won't - or more accurately - can't. Schultz had virtually the exact season production-wise that Hunter Henry did last year. The same Hunter Henry that just signed a three-year, $37.5 million contract with the Patriots.

He's gone too, along with Connor Williams - a starter no matter what people's overall opinions are of the guy.

There's quite a list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/dallas-cowboys/

Yes it is players like Gregory, Schultz, Gallup, LVE, and Williams that are likely to be key contributors and can greatly increase their value out of Dallas. All are starters in my book.

Then you have guys like Neal, Hooker, Kazee, Armstrong, Canady who figured to be in the mix as contributors as well.

The Cowboys have one of the larger cap deficits next year and will have to rework money to bring a few of these guys back. At this point I would take a swing at a few guys to see where extension numbers lie for guys like Schultz, Gregory, and Gallup. The rest you can see how the season plays out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the link.
I will need to update my list on my spreadsheet. Though some of these players will be released. Still quite a few players though.
Stephen better have a magic pen to keep some of them. :laugh: Just hope it is not a cursed pen. :muttley:

I’m seeing a big exodus on the horizon for next year. In addition to those pending free agents, we’re already set to be $27 million over next year’s cap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Schultz won't be re-signed because of those contracts. We're not going to pay two tight ends more than $5 million per year, so it's likely we won't try to re-sign him (or at least not for much) because of Jarwin's contract. If he outplays Jarwin, then it's possibly we cut Jarwin (saving $4.25 million) and apply that toward Schultz. In some ways, that would be the sensible thing to do because Jarwin is set to make $6 million next year and $7 million the year after that. The first two years of a four- or five-year deal for Schultz would probably be slightly less than that.

I looked into that possibility as well. But I don’t think there’s any way they get Schultz signed as cheaply as they did Jarwin. As I mentioned, Schultz’s 2020 season was virtually identical to Hunter Henry, who signed a deal averaging over &12 million a year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes it is players like Gregory, Schultz, Gallup, LVE, and Williams that are likely to be key contributors and can greatly increase their value out of Dallas. All are starters in my book.

Then you have guys like Neal, Hooker, Kazee, Armstrong, Canady who figured to be in the mix as contributors as well.

The Cowboys have one of the larger cap deficits next year and will have to rework money to bring a few of these guys back. At this point I would take a swing at a few guys to see where extension numbers lie for guys like Schultz, Gregory, and Gallup. The rest you can see how the season plays out.

If there’s one of the group I’d hope I could retain before next year, it’s Gregory. Based on past history, he signs extensions quickly if he can get more money more quickly. And I think the team needs all the help they can get at pass rushing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m seeing a big exodus on the horizon for next year. In addition to those pending free agents, we’re already set to be $27 million over next year’s cap.

Dang, I did not know it was that big of an amount.
So how much do we save on Jaylon, see ya....:muttley:

I am sure some contracts will be restructured. But that just adds to future cap issues.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-r...o-could-be-traded-or-cut?campaign=Twitter_atn

2021 NFL roster bubble: Notable players who could be traded or cut
Published: Aug 25, 2021 at 03:38 PM'

This will be an NFL roster cut-down period unlike any in memory. Teams are required to get down to the 53-man roster by 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, August 31, a deadline that's four days on the league calendar before it was in previous years (when there were four preseason games).

This change allows for more time to make trades before the roster-cut deadline -- and during the elongated buildup to Week 1. The Patriots and Rams got the fun started with Wednesday's Sony Michel deal; look for a bevy of positional logjams to get settled in low-stakes veteran trades for late-round conditional picks. A Sam Bradford-type headline trade before Week 1 is always possible, too.

While we are all anxious by now for the season to start, here's a quick look at some notable players who could pop up on the transaction wire in the coming days:

I would inquire about Butler, Howard, Lawson, L Train Murray (FB/HB), and Isabella as a returner.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We need to get in on this NOW.

This is why the Patriots always win Super Bowls.