Twitter: 2021 roster bubble: Notable players who could be traded or cut

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..no biggie, we could always UN-retire Billy Joe Dupree. ..;)

But what number would he wear, I think 88 is taken. :laugh:

I heard Jay Novacek is just out and about riding horses. Maybe he is bored. :muttley:

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Here's all you need to know. Vernon Butler isn't 1/10th the cornerback that Stephon Gilmore is.

Make the trade.
Hmm…paying big money to a CB who would be 35 at the end of a 3 year deal…and potentially giving up a draft pick. A 31 year old coming off an injury.

It sounds like the kind of FA move that burned us so badly back in the day…like a vintage Dan Snyder move too.

erod

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that they won't - or more accurately - can't. Schultz had virtually the exact season production-wise that Hunter Henry did last year. The same Hunter Henry that just signed a three-year, $37.5 million contract with the Patriots.

He's gone too, along with Connor Williams - a starter no matter what people's overall opinions are of the guy.

There's quite a list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/dallas-cowboys/
I think they both return. Cooper, Jaylon, and Zeke if he's not careful, will be gone.

lkelly

Reaction score
Would love to have Shaun Wade here. I was hoping Dallas would have drafted him.
Always a great sign when the team that drafted you in the 5th round is ready to give up on you before the preseason has even ended.

The scorch marks that Jahan Dotson and the Bama receivers left on him probably have people at the breakfast buffet trying to smear butter and jelly on his shirt.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
If there’s one of the group I’d hope I could retain before next year, it’s Gregory. Based on past history, he signs extensions quickly if he can get more money more quickly. And I think the team needs all the help they can get at pass rushing.

Definitely think Gregory has the most breakout potential. He would probably be out of the league by now if the Cowboys weren't so patient and supportive. Does he feel loyalty there where he's willing to extend a few more seasons for a deep discount now. It's just hard to understand his actual value and market at the moment. I would kick around an incentive laden deal to 3 years for 4 to 5 million in base a season with escalators based on production, games playes, etc. Not sure if that's resonable but that's more than what he's made and also hedges bets for the Cowboys on a player that will be 30 years old and hasn't been able to stay on the field.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No one knows anything on this topic. It's just a bunch of well-wishing and dreams. Maybe we trade Dak and Jaylon for Pat Mahomes. :omg:

DanA

Reaction score
There are a few players that interest me:
  • OJ Howard, Vernon Butler, and CJ Henderson could be decent acquisitions. Howard is a really good blocker and probably no worse a pass catcher than Shultz or Jarwin.
  • A number of running backs are enticing and we need a 3rd guy with Dowdle on IR.
  • It’d be nice to offload Jaylon to a team like the Raiders where he might be a starter, he’s certainly not a cut candidate but if we could find a deal that shaves 7m over 2 years from our cap and lose a 4th choice LB then it’s worth considering.
  • We could look at a backup QB as well but not sure who.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
as a 3rd string TE? he is having issues in Tampa...he has never lived up to his hype. he is at this point, nothing but a name.....I wouldn't want to pay him much. but good for depth and in certain situations.

Saw a clip the other day and he looked like Jaylon, laboring to run.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I looked into that possibility as well. But I don’t think there’s any way they get Schultz signed as cheaply as they did Jarwin. As I mentioned, Schultz’s 2020 season was virtually identical to Hunter Henry, who signed a deal averaging over &12 million a year.

The Henry deal is a bit surprising to me. The Patriots committed to paying him $15 million next year (since it would cost $19 million in cap space to cut him). That is steep.

conner01

Reaction score
I would take a look at Vernon Butler. He has had the unenviable task of being on two teams that had beasts playing the very position he plays (Carolina with K. Short and Star L, and now Buffalo with Ed Oliver and Star L). Butler is a big man and seems the type Dallas would kick the tires on. Former 1st round talent, only 27 and cheap. He also plays a position that is not exactly super stout.
That’s the type of deal that can really pay off if you are right
He had very good players in front of him to learn from and they limited his role
Not to mention a position of need
But it comes down to the cost of getting a player

conner01

Reaction score
Sadly, I fear that this will (at best) be his last season in Dallas. Like several other talented players, Schultz will be off to greener pastures after this season. I think we're going to lose a bunch of good young players.
That’s inevitable
But I don’t think it’s a lock he’s gone
I think it depends on how jarwin does this year
You can’t have both but you do have the option of picking which you want

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Henry deal is a bit surprising to me. The Patriots committed to paying him $15 million next year (since it would cost $19 million in cap space to cut him). That is steep.

And I think it really changes the market for a guy like Schultz, especially if he has another similar year to 2020.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And I think it really changes the market for a guy like Schultz, especially if he has another similar year to 2020.

In some ways. Dallas' way of doing business has generally been to pay bigger money over a longer period of time so the first couple of years of the cap hit are not as high (and they can restructure when it does get higher if they anticipate keeping the player for another season or two). Generally, you can do that by offering a higher signing bonus. The player doesn't usually care whether his guaranteed money comes in the form of base salary or bonus.

No doubt if Schultz has a similar season to last year he's going to want more than Jarwin got.