2021 season countdown thread

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Hagman

Reaction score
One of the greatest moments in Cowboys history.
After the Cowboys won that Super Bowl somebody put out a song called “The Battle of New Orleans” which substituted lines about the game for the original song lyrics. Right now this one lyric that goes “and Lilly chased him to the ten and laid down on his chest” keeps going through my head.

Hagman

Reaction score
Can be no other #74 than Bob Lilly!! :thumbup:
You know I think he is the only one who wore number 74. Bob came to the team in 1961, and I could not find a player who wore number 74 in their first year in 1960. I recall them giving the number to some players during training camp and preseason games because they had so many players on the roster, but nobody but Bob has one that number officially as far as I have been able to find.

Hagman

Reaction score
One of the greatest moments in Cowboys history.
I tried twice to embed the full video from YouTube but apparently the NFL blocks that kind of stuff. For anyone wishing to watch it in full search Lilly Bob Griese and it will probably come up.
He was incredibly quick for a big man.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You know I think he is the only one who wore number 74. Bob came to the team in 1961, and I could not find a player who wore number 74 in their first year in 1960. I recall them giving the number to some players during training camp and preseason games because they had so many players on the roster, but nobody but Bob has one that number officially as far as I have been able to find.

No one has worn #74, other than in preseason, since Lilly retired. When you're called "Mr. Cowboy" that's a tough act to follow.

Hagman

Reaction score
He enjoyed terrible seasons during the Cowboys expansion phase and in years that followed lost to the Packers twice in the NFL championship games, suffered the embarrassment of the great Cleveland disasters for two years after that, and then had to watch Jim O’Brien kick that losing field goal in Super Bowl V. He famously took his helmet off after the kick and hurled it down the field. Here’s the great one in the locker room after finally getting a Super Bowl victory.
tOS956ygsNiD2Mk.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Day #73

The good...Ralph Neely. Survived the Ice Bowl and started at tackle for the Cowboys first SB championship team.

ralph-neely-leads-for-dan-reeves.jpg

The Great...Larry Allen. Freakishly-athletic strong man, leader of the Great Wall of the 90s.

jess-haynie_-65-e1493047199769-1024x625.jpg

And then there's Danny Noonan, who may as well have been the Danny Noonan from Caddyshack.

cwod0c3hhayopnoarmkl.jpg

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is something we do on another forum leading up to the start of the college season. Counting down the days by recognizing players, past and/or present, who wore the number of that day in the countdown. The thread is typically pinned until it reaches zero, if that's okay with the powers-that-be here.

It's 75 days until the season, so the first player who comes to my mind for me is Jethro Pugh.

6dfd803449264e4808e69f865599d997.jpg

Another guy, remembered for entirely different reasons, is Phil Pozderac. Coach doesn't look too pleased.

c4cbe6120b3cbda658a450fe4cfe898b.jpg

Is this just for Cowboys players? Are you the only one allowed to post a picture?
Thanks.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Is this just for Cowboys players? Are you the only one allowed to post a picture?
Thanks.

Yes, the theme is recognizing Cowboys - past and present - on the day representing their jersey number.

No, it's not just for me. Anyone can contribute, hopefully keeping with the theme of the thread.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yes, the theme is recognizing Cowboys - past and present - on the day representing their jersey number.

No, it's not just for me. Anyone can contribute, hopefully keeping with the theme of the thread.

Thanks

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I attended this game in Indianapolis in 1999. Larry Allen was Larry Allen, but the Cowboys defense fell apart in the second half.