2021 season countdown thread

garyo1954

Reaction score
One correction my Cowboy friend. Tony Liscio was a key part of the team that won Super Bowl VI. While he did not begin the year on the team once into the season Ralph Neely broke his leg in a motorcycle accident and the back ups were also banged up—including Forrest Gregg the ex-Packer great. Landry made a call to Tony Monday and he was starting the next Sunday against the Commanders. His ability to plug that hole in the line was one of the key factors in taking us to the championship that year. He did a darn fine job without training camp or really much a practice before he got the call. Again one of the great moments in Cowboys history

He was the runner-up for the comeback player of the year that year. He was robbed. He should’ve won it

Another 71 was Don Talbert who replaced Neely after the motorcycle accident. Then Don sprained his ankle.The thing that sticks out about him is he was the Cowboys 8th round pick in 1961. Also a Vietnam vet he spent 2 years in Saigon as a lieutenant. All told Talbert had 3 stints with the Cowboys.

And Willie Townes perhaps best known for causing Bart Starr to fumble in the 1967 NFL Championship Game, commonly known as the Ice Bowl. The fumble was picked up and returned for a touchdown by defensive end George Andrie, scoring six of the Cowboys' 17 points in the loss. In 1968 Townes suffered a serious hamstring injury and was replaced in the starting lineup by rookie Larry Cole, who would not relinquish the position back.

According to Cowboys' stats, Townes is unofficially credited with a total of 9 sacks during his 1966 season, tying him with Harvey Martin for the most by a Cowboys rookie in franchise history. With 15 sacks, he is also tied with Larry Cole for the third most sacks (behind DeMarcus Ware and Harvey Martin) recorded by a Cowboys player in his first two years in the NFL.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
End of the month, June 30th. So tomorrow we will have 20 days until the report, 22 for 1st practice. I guess really 21 days, as that day itself does not count since the day will have arrived. And will be the 1st practice day.

So in about 2 weeks, maybe a little less, the football news should kick into full gear and ready to go.
:popcorn: time everyone, well more so than usual. :laugh:

We will get a good dose of Cowboys and Steelers for about a week until other teams start their TC's.

Oh I am sure we will get...but it doesn't count...whiners. Well too bad, live with it. :muttley:
I am ready for TC and all the lame generic reports (but should be some good info as well). However, we will get to see Jane Slater even if she is off on any reports. :laugh:
But it also means we will see Ed Werder. :mad: :espn:

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Another 71 was Don Talbert who replaced Neely after the motorcycle accident. Then Don sprained his ankle.The thing that sticks out about him is he was the Cowboys 8th round pick in 1961. Also a Vietnam vet he spent 2 years in Saigon as a lieutenant. All told Talbert had 3 stints with the Cowboys.

And Willie Townes perhaps best known for causing Bart Starr to fumble in the 1967 NFL Championship Game, commonly known as the Ice Bowl. The fumble was picked up and returned for a touchdown by defensive end George Andrie, scoring six of the Cowboys' 17 points in the loss. In 1968 Townes suffered a serious hamstring injury and was replaced in the starting lineup by rookie Larry Cole, who would not relinquish the position back.

According to Cowboys' stats, Townes is unofficially credited with a total of 9 sacks during his 1966 season, tying him with Harvey Martin for the most by a Cowboys rookie in franchise history. With 15 sacks, he is also tied with Larry Cole for the third most sacks (behind DeMarcus Ware and Harvey Martin) recorded by a Cowboys player in his first two years in the NFL.
When I first started watching the Cowboys the defensive line was referred to as Willie, Lilly, Jethro and George. Kind of a takeoff On John George Paul and Ringo. They weren’t as musical but were much better at stopping the run.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I first started watching the Cowboys the defensive line was referred to as Willie, Lilly, Jethro and George. Kind of a takeoff On John George Paul and Ringo. They weren’t as musical but were much better at stopping the run.

Yeah that DL did not need any "Help", as they sure did cause some "Helter Skelter" :D

garyo1954

Reaction score

Those were the days my friend, we thought would never end.....
We'd go on winning forever and a day!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
While I, and others, love the old timers this #71 will be a welcome addition to the starting OL again this season. He was sorely missed in 2020.

USATSI_11993143_168386533_lowres.jpg

71 days to Tampa Bay.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
And then there was Andy Frederick. Cut from the Pozderac mold - Pozderac was basically drafted to replace the failed Frederick - Andy did manage to continue playing for a few years with the Bears. He even started a game for Chicago in 1985 (due to injuries), and got himself a SB ring.

103bc5069e71c86e77a5d6ad4a66c92e.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
70 days until Tampa Bay

Hall-of-Famer Rayfield Wright is a large man (6'6", 270) from a small HBCU (Fort Valley State). Drafted in the 7th round in 1967, Wright played in the Ice Bowl along with 5 NFC championship wins and two SB victories. He did everything there was for an offensive lineman to do for the 70s Cowboys, garnering several Pro Bowl berths and a spot in the Ring of Honor. Released by the Cowboys following the 1979 season, Wright actually signed with the Eagles in April of 1980 before thinking better of it and retiring in July.

He started the Rayfield Wright Foundation and became a philanthropist after his playing career ended, helping inner city youths stay out of trouble and obtain grants to attend college. Sadly, his later years have involved early-onset dementia, likely related to 13 years of head trauma in the NFL.

USATSI_7608103-e1612984282485.jpg

51plMcK-DYL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hagman

Reaction score
70 days until Tampa Bay

Hall-of-Famer Rayfield Wright is a large man (6'6", 270) from a small HBCU (Fort Valley State). Drafted in the 7th round in 1967, Wright played in the Ice Bowl along with 5 NFC championship wins and two SB victories. He did everything there was for an offensive lineman to do for the 70s Cowboys, garnering several Pro Bowl berths and a spot in the Ring of Honor. Released by the Cowboys following the 1979 season, Wright actually signed with the Eagles in April of 1980 before thinking better of it and retiring in July.

He started the Rayfield Wright Foundation and became a philanthropist after his playing career ended, helping inner city youths stay out of trouble and obtain grants to attend college. Sadly, his later years have involved early-onset dementia, likely related to 13 years of head trauma in the NFL.

USATSI_7608103-e1612984282485.jpg

51plMcK-DYL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Ray field was another one of those great athletes the Cowboys used to find in the weeds. His preferred sport was basketball, and he figured if he washed out of football training camp in July that he could go to an pro basketball team’s camp in August. He was one of 135 rookies that Gil Brant signed in 1967 and one of 5 who stuck

Remember the Cowboys started him at tight end. And Rayfield told this story at his HOF induction speech:

My career started as a tight end. Don Meredith was our quarterback at the time. Recently I asked Don. I said, ‘Don, you remember throwing me a touchdown pass against the Eagles?’ He laughed and said, ‘Rayfield, I wasn't throwing the ball to you, you was just so tall, you got in the way.’

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think people forget how much of the equation Allen was for the rings.
Bet Emmitt remembers and respects

edit,,, damn people,, I look like a narcist fool responding to my own post,, I seriously had a moment .. apologies

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
69 days. I'm sure there are some historical players who wore #69, but currently it belongs to Brandon Knight.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Day 69. I'm going to need some help with this one. There have to be more than Brandon Knight and Henry Melton. :muttley:

jwilliams_dallas-cowboys_brandon-knight-impressive-in-two-starts-for-the-dallas-cowboys.jpg

458354616.0.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Unlike Knight and Melton, reserve OL George Hegamin won a ring the last time Dallas played in a Super Bowl.

352116.jpg.jpg

Hagman

Reaction score
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/insidethestar.com/hegawha-hegamin-69-belongs-to-george-hegamin/amp/
From the article :

The following players have all worn 69 for the Dallas Cowboys:
  • Jason Fabini, OT
  • Ben Fricke, C
  • George Hegamin, OT
  • Corvey Irvin, DT
  • Henry Melton, DT
  • Jeff Olson, OG
  • Jimmy Saddler-McQueen, DT
  • Ross Tucker, OG
I’ve done this entire countdown here at Inside The Star, and I’m not going to lie to you guys…this one was tough. 69 isn’t exactly a legendary number in Dallas Cowboys History, but the show must go on!

Hagman

Reaction score
Day 69. I'm going to need some help with this one. There have to be more than Brandon Knight and Henry Melton. :muttley:
Yea, if you want to establish yourself as a Dallas Cowboys immortal there’s plenty of room for growth with #69. But, heck. I would have given anything to have been a Cowboy, even for a little while, like them.