2022 FIFA World Cup

StylisticS

Reaction score
I have Argentina taking it and I think Brazil and France will be their biggest competitor. Brazil striker does worry me though. Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, Jesus is not consistently clinical enough. He has the talent though. Not a big fan of Richarlison. Before Mane's injury, I had Senegal making a special run to at least the Semifinal. Now I wonder if they get out of the group. Let's see if France can break that trend of previous winners not making it out of the group stage. I think they will.

Group A: Netherlands Senegal
Group B: England USA
Group C: Argentina Poland
Group D: France Denmark
Group E: Spain Germany
Group F: Belgium Croatia
Group G: Brazil Serbia
Group H: Portugal Ghana

RO16 winners: Netherlands, Argentina, France, England, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Portugal
Quarterfinal winners: Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, France
Semifinal winners: Argentina, France
World Champions: Argentina

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Makes sense with where it is

I have Argentina taking it and I think Brazil and France will be their biggest competitor. Brazil striker does worry me though. Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, Jesus is not consistently clinical enough. He has the talent though. Not a big fan of Richarlison. Before Mane's injury, I had Senegal making a special run to at least the Semifinal. Now I wonder if they get out of the group. Let's see if France can break that trend of previous winners not making it out of the group stage. I think they will.

Group A: Netherlands Senegal
Group B: England USA
Group C: Argentina Poland
Group D: France Denmark
Group E: Spain Germany
Group F: Belgium Croatia
Group G: Brazil Serbia
Group H: Portugal Ghana

RO16 winners: Netherlands, Argentina, France, England, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Portugal
Quarterfinal winners: Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, France
Semifinal winners: Argentina, France
World Champions: Argentina

Don't sleep on Portugal though. Portugal is a solid squad.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The trouble with Brazil is that they don't really play as a team. They'd be nearly invincible if they did. As for France, after reconsidering things, I think they get eliminated in the Semifinals because they rarely string two great World Cups together. I think Argentina is a team that could reach the Finals, and did so in 2014, so they're not far removed from that and have also got an excellent team. Oh, and, unlike Brazil, they do play as a team. So, I think they make the Finals.

As for who they'd play, all but a few people are sleeping on Portugal. I'm not picking them because of Ronaldo. I'm picking them because they have an outstanding squad with an outstanding Manager. Oh, and they've got a pretty easy group aside from South Korea (Uruguay are over the hill with their players, particularly Suarez, unless he bites someone). Fernando Santos, the Portuguese manager is a brilliant tactician, and they've got all sorts of talent in the PL. Aside from the obvious, they've got Bruno Fernandes (Man I) and Bernardo Silva (Man City), Ruben Neves (quietly good with Wolves), and Matheus Nunes (been good for Wolves) at midfield. They've got Jose Sá on the bench from Wolves. At left back, they've got Diego Dalot (one of the few defencive bright spots for Man U), João Palhinha from Fulham at left mid, Ruben Dias at centre from Man City, and João Cancelo from City at Right Back. They've also got others from excellent European leagues. Their number 1 keeper is Rui Patricio from Roma being managed by the Legendary Jose Mourinho. Their third choice keeper is Diogo Costa from Porto. Their vice captain is left back Pepe from Porto. They've got loads at PSG, and they've got striker options from RB Leipzig, Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, Benfica, and a buried depth chart option at Braga needless to say, they've got a lot more talent than people realise, and I think they'd be the other team in the Final.

So, after reconsidering, I think Portugal wins over Argentina in the Final 1-0 with Andre Silva from RB Leipzig smashing in the winning goal.
Brazil haven't lost to anybody but Argentina since 2019.
So its tough to know how they will handle the cross world travel and such but they are in tremendous form.
7 straight wins and by insane margins having allowed only 2 goals. With an incredible 26 goals in those 7 games. Just nuts. avg score of 3.75 to .5
Last 3 wins were Japan, Ghana and Tunisia.

Just flat better than anyone else in attacking but are also playing great defense.
The attack.....
Neymar (PSG)
Raphinha (Barcelona)
Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal)
Richarlison (Tott)
Vinicius Jr. (Real Madrid)

Brazil is always the most fun to watch before they have the insane let down game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Brazil haven't lost to anybody but Argentina since 2019.
So its tough to know how they will handle the cross world travel and such but they are in tremendous form.
7 straight wins and by insane margins having allowed only 2 goals. With an incredible 26 goals in those 7 games. Just nuts. avg score of 3.75 to .5
Last 3 wins were Japan, Ghana and Tunisia.

Just flat better than anyone else in attacking but are also playing great defense.
The attack.....
Neymar (PSG)
Raphinha (Barcelona)
Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal)
Richarlison (Tott)
Vinicius Jr. (Real Madrid)

Brazil is always the most fun to watch before they have the insane let down game.

They are on great form and are fun to watch. But, as you stated, they tend to have a let down, which is why I'm hesitant to say they go to the Final. I trust Argentina a bit more, but I don't think either is winning the WC.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think alcohol is being barred (no pun intended) because it's illegal in Qatar.

Most likely. Myself, I love to drink. But I don't go to a stadium to drink. If I want to drink, I'll go to a sports bar. At the stadium, I'd much rather not be around a bunch of drunks.

I don't keep up with soccer that much, but I absolutely love the WC. And it happened to begin on my vacation week. I also agree with most of what you said in your OP. Even your Maybe's. But every cup, or most of them, there are always surprises. Didn't Costa Rica go deep in the 2014 WC? Losing a shootout to Argentina?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make predictions right now. I'll have to peep a few matches first. Then I'll have a better idea. But if I had to bet, I'd say Germany. I know, way out on a limb with that pick. :)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Most likely. Myself, I love to drink. But I don't go to a stadium to drink. If I want to drink, I'll go to a sports bar. At the stadium, I'd much rather not be around a bunch of drunks.

I don't keep up with soccer that much, but I absolutely love the WC. And it happened to begin on my vacation week. I also agree with most of what you said in your OP. Even your Maybe's. But every cup, or most of them, there are always surprises. Didn't Costa Rica go deep in the 2014 WC? Losing a shootout to Argentina?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make predictions right now. I'll have to peep a few matches first. Then I'll have a better idea. But if I had to bet, I'd say Germany. I know, way out on a limb with that pick. :)

Oh, same here. That said, many countries do like drink while watching sporting events. Germany for one. Costa Rica did, and Japan is my sleeper for this WC in that way.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh, same here. That said, many countries do like drink while watching sporting events. Germany for one. Costa Rica did, and Japan is my sleeper for this WC in that way.

I like to drink while watching sports events too. I'll be drinking during the USA game. In fact, I'll probably start early. But I don't need to when going to a stadium.

I'm a USA/Spain fan. But other than that, I'm thrilled when a longshot plays a lot better than expected. You're probably not old enough to remember Cameroon in 1990.

Carson

Reaction score
Josh Sargent up top for us. He seems in form but I’ve just never liked him much. But I can say that about any striker we have had since Deuce.

Weah on the wing I love. He can do so much out there

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like to drink while watching sports events too. I'll be drinking during the USA game. In fact, I'll probably start early. But I don't need to when going to a stadium.

I'm a USA/Spain fan. But other than that, I'm thrilled when a longshot plays a lot better than expected. You're probably not old enough to remember Cameroon in 1990.

England/USA here