2024 could be a disaster, but going forward?

TheCritic

Reaction score
While I'm on record as being one of the "blow this thing up and start over" Cowboys fans, how would you feel if at the end of this season the Cowboys sign Micah and CeeDee to long term contracts, extend Dak, somehow manage to get their cap situation under control and are able to be more active in FA next year and let's say they end up drafting top 10 in the 2025 NFL draft. Would you be ok with that?

Again I would rather move on from Dak and trade Micah but if the above scenario were to play out like that, I think I could live with it.

What say you?

Rayman70

Reaction score
If we cant win with MICAH, why sign him? Why not just trade him? Makes sense. This year won't be a disaster, but it won't be a playoff year. Its a case of resetting the table and change of how we do things. Not sure Zimmer can do anything big having 1 year to do it in. Thats where this gets weird. Will Zim have the time and resources to make sweeping changes in 1 offseason? Not sold. I see this entire staff as a transitional one..ie placeholders until we get longterm staffers/coaches in here. Zim is a bandaid for 2024, nothing more. Hes setting up the team for the next guy that we hire. I see AL HARRIS as the next full time DC in Dallas. I think he will get on the job training so he can be that guy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
8 wins will be the high bar this year. I'd be shocked if we win more than that. We will need to rely on Dak and a run heavy ball control offense to compete. Which btw, is exactly what McCarthy wants. I just doubt we can pull it off unless we draft almost perfectly.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
While I'm on record as being one of the "blow this thing up and start over" Cowboys fans, how would you feel if at the end of this season the Cowboys sign Micah and CeeDee to long term contracts, extend Dak, somehow manage to get their cap situation under control and are able to be more active in FA next year and let's say they end up drafting top 10 in the 2025 NFL draft. Would you be ok with that?

Again I would rather move on from Dak and trade Micah but if the above scenario were to play out like that, I think I could live with it.

What say you?
Im all in to starting over. I really do not want us to sign Dak. We can trade Dak, Lamb and Parson's and start all over. Fields was available and they missed on that. They also have Lance. Frankly, I'd start all over with Lance and see what his got.

We aren't going nowhere with this team. Might as well get some draft capital and reset our cap. That way we can sign some free agents.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Im telling yall, we can mask holes defensively if we nail the running back position. We did it with Zeke and DeMarco. Thats the formula for winning games this year, ball control, chewing clock. Thats Cowboy football. MCcarthy wants to run the damn ball, so he will get his chance if we do what I think we will.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8 wins will be the high bar this year. I'd be shocked if we win more than that. We will need to rely on Dak and a run heavy ball control offense to compete. Which btw, is exactly what McCarthy wants. I just doubt we can pull it off unless we draft almost perfectly.
Many fans on here have predicted no more than 8 wins for a very long time. Especially the past 3 years.

Well I guess more 8 wins or less predictions, means 12-5 and the playoffs again.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Many fans on here have predicted no more than 8 wins for a very long time. Especially the past 3 years.

Well I guess more 8 wins or less predictions, means 12-5 and the playoffs again.
If that's your gold standard beating bad teams and being totally humiliated in the first round then congratulations

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
We've been able to act in FA plenty of years prior to now, and just didn't want to. Why would Jerry start next year, especially with Cap Boy at his side? Unless we can win Jerry's way (through the draft alone), we will never win again.

Flamma

Reaction score

What say you?
The cap situation is under control, their control. Are you under the impression that they weren't active in FA because of cap space? They weren't active in FA early on because they never are. Not the past 10 years or so. Why would they be active next year?

Had they extended Dak earlier they would have opened up 30-40 million in cap space with just him alone. Another 5-10 million with Lamb. That's loads of cap space. You know what you can do in FA with 35-50M in cap space? They chose not to open up that space because they don't need all that money for free agents after the draft.

Flamma

Reaction score
Im telling yall, we can mask holes defensively if we nail the running back position. We did it with Zeke and DeMarco. Thats the formula for winning games this year, ball control, chewing clock. Thats Cowboy football. MCcarthy wants to run the damn ball, so he will get his chance if we do what I think we will.
Right. Those are two perfect examples. In 2014 and 2016, working with an average to bad defense. Our current D doesn't need to be masked nearly as much.

TheCritic

Reaction score
The cap situation is under control, their control. Are you under the impression that they weren't active in FA because of cap space? They weren't active in FA early on because they never are. Not the past 10 years or so. Why would they be active next year?

Had they extended Dak earlier they would have opened up 30-40 million in cap space with just him alone. Another 5-10 million with Lamb. That's loads of cap space. You know what you can do in FA with 35-50M in cap space? They chose not to open up that space because they don't need all that money for free agents after the draft.
Say what you want about the stupidity of Dak's last contract, but I don't buy the premise that they aren't active in this year's FA just because of "tradition". More to it than that. More likely that they went into the off-season with a priority to resign Dak, CeeDee and Micah and made a budget for how much they are willing to pay at other positions. But maybe they overlooked how the extra $30 million every team got for this year's salary cap basically drove up the cost for getting in on FA.

And yes you are right that they could have said screw it and go all in anyways. But they've already been carrying a lot of dead money and this has been going on for a few years. They really do need to get that monkey off their back. Otherwise they are going to continue to be at a disadvantage. They need a season to clear some cap room, focus on developing young players and getting them meaningful playing time during the regular season. And it wouldn't hurt to build some draft capital and get into the top 5-10 area.

Every team faces the same constraints and almost every other team except the Cowboys will tank a season occasionally to get their house in order. The Cowboys are long overdue IMO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
So, it's all on Micah?
No. But if he wants the bag, and wants to talk, he gotta bring it. He is deserving,but this might be a case of bad timing for him. We are retooling the team. Sometimes you have to do what's right for the player, even if that means moving on from him. I see him in a lose lose situation in Dallas where so much is wrong,and working against him having success. Best thing might be to trade the player in order to get resources for team building.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Jerry and son are satisfied. These threads are pointless. They won’t trade Micah or Lamb. And they will almost certainly re-sign Dak to a deal this summer. They will be competitive. Maybe a 9-8 team. And they are ok with that.
They have a 10 billion dollar brand and that is all that matters to them. This team lucked into hiring one of the great football minds Jimmy Johnson. He brought this team 3 Super Bowls (sorry Barry). Jerry pushed him out of the door and we have been in misery ever since. Even if this team hits rock bottom and gets tons of draft capital, does anyone trust them to not screw it up. I find myself in the mode of hope for the best and expect the worst. Is what it is.

blueblood70

Reaction score

What say you?
First of all Prescott a free agent if we get past this year he can go anywhere he wants they don't own his rights after the season there is no extension then you're bidding against what other teams might be offering so if you're gonna extend them you need to do it now literally before the season starts but if we're gonna go to the wrong side of this everyone keeps thinking it's gonna be a bad season last time I heard that historically bad offseason nonsense we went to the second round of the playoffs we won 12 games three straight years and we'll probably make the playoffs this year we do not see the team they've assembled yet because we're only 10 days into the free agent. The draft is still ahead we still have a lot of opportunities for other free agents that are still out there and again we can make trades at anytime...

We're not just blaming Prescott if we can't have a good season and we can't make it deeper into the playoffs that don't extend anyone get as much as you can for digs lamb and Micah and truly blow it up and let's stop blaming an MVP caliber quarterback for all our problems so if you're getting went rid of one because you don't think the money matches the end of year production then you gotta get rid of them all and the only ones you truly gonna get anything for would be those 3 so go get as much capital as you can for those three so you even have a fighting chance to move up in the draft and try to get one of the better quarterbacks which by the way what I hear and maybe I'm wrong because I don't follow college football as much as I used to I don't think the 2025 crop of quarterbacks is gonna be very good but I don't know somebody will have to touch on that but for the first thing to work is we're gonna have to have a bad season because if we don't and we end up with another 10 to 12 wins and end up a wild card or better in the playoffs we're picking in the 20s again you almost have no shot moving up from the 20s to get a top five quarterback or really what you want is the top two that's hard to get to but I guess if you let Prescott walk and trade all those other assets I just mentioned above and I mean all of them I'm tired of hearing the blame on the quarterback you can't keep any of them because they're all part of the failure...​
So the only true blow up would be no Prescott trade diggs, lamb ,and Micah...​