2024 could be a disaster, but going forward?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Won't act like a turncoat here. Of course things can go just like they have been going over the last couple of seasons. +500 in the standings, lots of big stats and then some early play off losses. Or heck, maybe they get lucky and make it to the divisional round.

So what? In the end this just extends our "just above mediocre is enough" attitude results.

Shake it up now, even if that means one or two bad seasons. But start a true rebuilding process. Hire a true GM. Find a head coach who's making his own decisions. Draft QBs like there was no tomorrow. Find some grit, change your mindset to "win it in the trenches". Get rid of all SM accounts. Just work.

Unrealistic? Don't care. Anything realistic will just get is more of the same.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8 wins will be the high bar this year. I'd be shocked if we win more than that. We will need to rely on Dak and a run heavy ball control offense to compete. Which btw, is exactly what McCarthy wants. I just doubt we can pull it off unless we draft almost perfectly.
The team's not currently setup for a run heavy offense, at least in my opinion. They will have to draft very well for the run game to improve from 2023.

tm1119

Reaction score
Say what you want about the stupidity of Dak's last contract, but I don't buy the premise that they aren't active in this year's FA just because of "tradition". More to it than that. More likely that they went into the off-season with a priority to resign Dak, CeeDee and Micah and made a budget for how much they are willing to pay at other positions. But maybe they overlooked how the extra $30 million every team got for this year's salary cap basically drove up the cost for getting in on FA.

And yes you are right that they could have said screw it and go all in anyways. But they've already been carrying a lot of dead money and this has been going on for a few years. They really do need to get that monkey off their back. Otherwise they are going to continue to be at a disadvantage. They need a season to clear some cap room, focus on developing young players and getting them meaningful playing time during the regular season. And it wouldn't hurt to build some draft capital and get into the top 5-10 area.

Every team faces the same constraints and almost every other team except the Cowboys will tank a season occasionally to get their house in order. The Cowboys are long overdue IMO.
You’re so far in denial that you’re referring to 10 years of undeniable evidence as “tradition”. They don’t sign impact free agents early and this year has been no different…regardless of whatever fabricated theory you want to put on it to make yourself feel better.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I see us reverting back to what we were in the last 4 years of Landry...and the first year under Jimmy. These next 2 years might shock in a bad way. Even the Cowboys have rebuilds, it happens all the time in this league.

Flamma

Reaction score
Say what you want about the stupidity of Dak's last contract, but I don't buy the premise that they aren't active in this year's FA just because of "tradition". More to it than that. More likely that they went into the off-season with a priority to resign Dak, CeeDee and Micah and made a budget for how much they are willing to pay at other positions. But maybe they overlooked how the extra $30 million every team got for this year's salary cap basically drove up the cost for getting in on FA.

And yes you are right that they could have said screw it and go all in anyways. But they've already been carrying a lot of dead money and this has been going on for a few years. They really do need to get that monkey off their back. Otherwise they are going to continue to be at a disadvantage. They need a season to clear some cap room, focus on developing young players and getting them meaningful playing time during the regular season. And it wouldn't hurt to build some draft capital and get into the top 5-10 area.

Every team faces the same constraints and almost every other team except the Cowboys will tank a season occasionally to get their house in order. The Cowboys are long overdue IMO.
The bold says it all. They don't tank a season because they use the same operating procedure every year. It's not tradition, it's just how they choose to build a team. They deviate very little from year to year since 2013 I believe. This is what they've been doing for 10 years now. Had they extended Dak and CD early on, they would have had Eagles type cap space. In the mid 40M range. They chose not to do that because that's not how they build a team.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I've lost complete faith in Dak. We won't win anything with him as QB. Then again we won't win anything with Jerry as GM. So there's that.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team's not currently setup for a run heavy offense, at least in my opinion. They will have to draft very well for the run game to improve from 2023.
The Cowboys lost their starting OT, OC and RB1... and they couldn't run last year. They're going to be a run heavy offense this year? Crazy!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I question how motivated the team will be during the regular season. Only three weeks into last season they looked flat and disinterested against AZ. Despite 12 wins they were embarrassed by a 9 win 7th seeded Packers team in the playoffs.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess it depends on what your ultimate goal is, if it's a Super Bowl victory, why would you ever resign Dakota? Does anybody think he's capable of winning 3 playoff games in a row?
I think 2024 is about moving on from MM and his offensive train wreck and seeing if Lance shows promise. If we accomplish that I'll be thrilled.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think 2024 is about moving on from MM and his offensive train wreck and seeing if Lance shows promise. If we accomplish that I'll be thrilled.
Our offense was far from a train wreck. It was 5th overall and we were the highest scoring offense. You must have only watched the first few games of the season when we were trying to get the new offense on track.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Many fans on here have predicted no more than 8 wins for a very long time. Especially the past 3 years.

Well I guess more 8 wins or less predictions, means 12-5 and the playoffs again.
And an early playoff loss.

Rinse and repeat.

But it’s enough for Jerry because relevance is just as important as Super Bowls.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our offense was far from a train wreck. It was 5th overall and we were the highest scoring offense. You must have only watched the first few games of the season when we were trying to get the new offense on track.
We played horrible defenses.
Let's see how it fares this year.

TheCritic

Reaction score
You’re so far in denial that you’re referring to 10 years of undeniable evidence as “tradition”. They don’t sign impact free agents early and this year has been no different…regardless of whatever fabricated theory you want to put on it to make yourself feel better.
Actually, the position you are holding amounts to a shortcut in thinking. No two seasons or off-seasons are exactly alike. Now it may be the case that the Cowboys prefer to build their roster through the draft vs FA, but guess what.....so do most other teams. There is nuance between one season and another. Easy to overlook.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Even if the 2024 season goes better than most fans are expecting, it’s going to be hard enjoying the wins knowing it could lead to another one and done in the playoffs. We could win 14+ games and we’ll all be holding breath hoping it doesn’t lead to another first round train wreck in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We played horrible defenses.
Let's see how it fares this year.
The Jets ranked 3rd in total defense and the Panthers ranked 4th. :thumbup: If he fares well you’ll just complain about the defenses again.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jets ranked 3rd in total defense and the Panthers ranked 4th. :thumbup: If he fares well you’ll just complain about the defenses again.
Points allowed per game:
Jets 10th
Panthers 29th

kskboys

Reaction score
8 wins will be the high bar this year. I'd be shocked if we win more than that. We will need to rely on Dak and a run heavy ball control offense to compete. Which btw, is exactly what McCarthy wants. I just doubt we can pull it off unless we draft almost perfectly.
Yup, my thoughts exactly.

kskboys

Reaction score
Many fans on here have predicted no more than 8 wins for a very long time. Especially the past 3 years.

Well I guess more 8 wins or less predictions, means 12-5 and the playoffs again.
Then why do you even pay attention to those fans?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
it dont matter as long as dak is here

sorry it is the truth

u will never ever win a super bowl with him
It doesn’t matter who the QB is. Dak or anyone. This organization won’t win with those 2 clowns runny things.