2024 Cowboys Draft Class Overall Grade

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
29. RT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma... Grade B
I was hoping Morgan was still there when they picked but with the trade back this becomes a better pick. He is all upside with much to improve on. In a few years I see him taking over for Steele. I don't think he will transition to LT with ease, and I expect Tyler Smith will end up at LT when Guyton struggles early on. He has the potential to be a very good Tackle in the future which saves the grade a bit.

56. DE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan... Grade C+
People have him ranked really high, for some reason. He is a fringe top 100 player in my eyes. He has Great athleticism but doesn't have enough bend or finish to his game to be a productive edge. Sacks were lacking against lesser competition. He is another high upside pick, just like Guyton. At least they don't expect him to start right away. He likes to run through the blocker in front of him but lacks pass rush moves, hopefully Tank can teach him a few. One positive, he is a very good run defender.

73. G/C Cooper Beebe, Kansas State... A+
My favorite pick for the Cowboys in this years draft. I think teams were scared of his arm length and that's why he fell as far as he did. I am not worried about that he handled playing both tackle positions without the desired arm length. His tape should have slotted him as a mid 2nd round player. He has amazing awareness and power and will be a starter this year. I think he plays LG and Tyler Smith will be moved out to LT. Guyton will not be ready. I hope I am wrong about Guyton I would love to have a mauler at Center.

87. ILB Marist Liufau, Notre Dame... Grade D
Reach! This was my least favorite pick by a landslide. I understand he is a Zimmer type LB, and he has very good coverage skills but he lacks the tackling ability to play an effective Mike LB. How does a starting LB have only 44 tackles in a year. PFF had his missed tackle rate at 18.9% on the year; that is really bad. He has good enough speed and coverage ability to be an ok player if Zimmer and Kendricks can teach the kid how to make a stinken' tackle. He was a 6th rounder to me.

174. CB Caelen Carson, Wake... Grade A-
I can't believe him and TJ Tampa slid down the board as far as they did. This is a very good value pick he should have went end of the 3rd. He doesn't have very many picks in his career at Wake; Bland didn't either at Fresno. Teams wouldn't through his way, the other Wake CB's are trash so teams would avoid his side. He tackles well enough for a DB. He plays zone very well. He keeps everything in front of him. He is a good athlete not great. He is a big upgrade over Wright and Scott Jr.

216. WR Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri State... B-
I would have rather had WR Brennan Rice with this pick. He is an older guy at 25 already as a rookie. Elite athleticism is the main reason he was even drafted. Fossil will love this guy on Special Teams if he can make him a gunner. It's possible he could beat out Brooks for that WR 5 or 6 spot. He averaged over 15 yards per catch and has very good YAC ability. He could be one of the Kick Returners for the team. Lacks a polished route tree but acceleration into his routes is strong.

233. OG/OT Nathan Thomas, Louisiana Lafayette... B
Good value pick, could have gone top of the 5th. He is a big guy who plays with reckless rage in the run game. Mauls everyone in his way and has just enough athleticism to get to second level blocks. He has a slow get off in pass sets, and speed rushers can get around him if he does get off the snap slow. He played the majority of his Career at Tackle but I see him moving inside to Guard. His position flex will be nice to have and the Cowboys can probably move on from Josh Ball now.

244. DT Justin Rogers, Auburn... B+
DT depth was a huge need and I wish they would have addressed it earlier in the draft. At least, they didn't forget about it all together. Mazi needed a rotation partner to keep him fresh throughout the entirety of the games. He has a little bit of pass rush but that's not his speciality. Trash can full of dirt. He eats up double teams. He doesn't end up on the ground a lot which is a very good attribute for D-Lineman to have. He isn't extremely tall which helps his leverage and balance. Not super strong, he lacks the pocket push that teams covet, but he won't get pushed back either.

Overall Draft Grade: B... 84/100... 84%

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I’d give it a B+ because I’m much higher on Kneeland than you are. He is exactly what this team needs. And he is absolutely ready to start in our base defense. Because in Zimmer’s scheme Micah and Williams won’t be on the Edge. Only in pass rushing situations. Micah will play a lot more snaps at LB.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I’d give it a B+ because I’m much higher on Kneeland than you are. He is exactly what this team needs. And he is absolutely ready to start in our base defense. Because in Zimmer’s scheme Micah and Williams won’t be on the Edge. Only in pass rushing situations. Micah will play a lot more snaps at LB.
have we cleared this with Micah? he absolutely wont be happy with playing LB a lot.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
D+

The trade back in the 1st and selection of Guyton was solid.

The rest of the draft was an unequivocal disaster.

Given the team’s tight wad approach to free agency, this draft had to be about filling needs.

They failed to do that.

To not draft a RB is inexcusable. You then load up on o-linemen when you actually have some depth and flexibility there.

Drafting Kneeland in the 2nd round is just unfathomable. Folks can try to convince themselves this guy is a real prospect but it’s laughable. We already drafted our try-hard tweener d-lineman last year in Fehoko.

They failed to bring in competition/depth at 1-tech.

I’m not as high on Beebe as others are. The pancake blocks are fun to watch but I think he severely lacks lateral quickness and length to match NFL-caliber talent inside which limits his ceiling.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The draft is an “A” if the offensive linemen hit. The potential of a Tyler left side of the offensive line a line coaches dream. The interior with Tyler, Bebe and Martin potentially could be the best in the league. Kneeland sets the edge and keeps Parsons as a wild card on defense instead of getting pounded on by 300+ pound tackles all game. This was not a good running back draft. The board was getting ready to explode in a negative way if we drafted let alone traded for Jonathan Brooks.

morasp

Reaction score
Guyton A
He will the the starting LT for 10 years, liked him much better than Mims (Medicals) and Morgan (arm length) who were taken ahead of him.
Kneeland B
A hair on fire dawg, sacks weren't the problem in the wild card game against the Packers.
Beebe A
I did a mock draft taking him in round 2, he and Tyler will be moving people against their will
Liufau B
A head scratcher for me at first but the more I looked at him the better he got, Zimmer's comment on the the secret audio sold it for me, "You sold me on your visit when you told me what everyone on the field was doing!" Most of the LBs in this draft are athletes with little or no instincts and it sounds like he may that aptitude. Plus he's a hair on fire dawg.
Carson B+
He has a chance to be a starter and good value pick
Fluornoy C
I'm glad they took a WR would have liked to see more
Thomas A
Great pick similar to Richards last year but better value
Rogers A
Could see the field this year.
Smith Rogers Davis 1T
Odighizuwa Golston Fehoko 3T

starting lineup as of today (two projected rookies)

Guyton Smith Beebe Martin Steele
Ferguson Schoonmaker
Lamb Cooks Tolbert
RB Dowdle
QB Dak

Williams Smith Odighizuwa Lawrence
Parson (DPR in nickel) Clark Kendricks
Diggs Lewis Bland
Hooker Wilson

chicago JK

Reaction score
Time will tell. Looks much better than 23 draft. Not a high bar. Typically Dallas does well when they hit their first pick. They have done this more often than not. Hutton could go either way though. So that will determine a lot.

I have trouble separating their inactivity in free agency and the draft. I am not even made about the guys they lost. Most are replaceable but most played a lot of snaps. Free agency and the draft should go hand in hand. Their errors in free agency is clouding everything about this team now.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Truly a draft class that I think we’d like to re-evaluate in a couple years. This group is indicative of what the Cowboys have being doing this offseason. There looking to 2025. Granted, some of these guys will be expected to see significant playing time this year, but I believe the long term was forefront with this specific draft class.

Guyton – We needed a tackle. He’s got great length, very traitsy, and his best football output is a couple years down the road. As I side note, I’m not a Solari guy, so I’m slightly concerned about Guyton’s development.

Kneeland – DE depth and successor to Lawrence. Big motor, plays the run well, good size, but simply not ready to be a contributor this year. I think the Cowboys see D-Law, darn near identical size, but to me they move quite differently. You can’t teach Kneeland what D-Law has.

Bebee – If not Center this year, then successor to Martin. I get that Bebee has played all along the line but to say, “We’ll just make him our center this year” has got to be somewhat insulting to those that play the position. No guarantee that this transition will be simple for him, but again, this is the 33-year-old’s replacement.

Liufau - Is this guy strictly a WILL and did we need that? I know, this bunch is LB deficient, and this dude is above JAG level. The problem is, and this to me is where the organization really tipped their hand on 2024 being a survive year, you know you’re not picking for 73 more selections, and you don’t go RB. You had to surmise that the RB cupboard would be all but empty by the 5th, and you had two potential game changers at 87. Liufau is unfairly going to be judged moving forward by the team NOT taking RB with this selection.

Carson - Could have been BPA and is a great pick to me. Still, CB wasn’t the neediest of the position groups, but he’ll see some time and is another solid player down the road.

Flournoy – Small school guy with talented skillset. I like the pick. While being connected to the GPS sensors at the combine, reportedly no other receiver moved faster while working through the drills. Some of you went, “Meh” on the guy but if he shows early, I think he could push for playing time. The mountain (really a hill with a 3% incline) he’s got to climb consists of Cropper, Bryant, and Brooks. Turpin and Tolbert, although not intimidating in the slightest, is asking a little too much in year one. Hope he makes it.

Thomas – Just make the roster buddy. He adds to the group that I hope starts the packing of the bags for Ball and Waletzko. Enough of those two. Are they healthy, can they play, blah…blah…blah? I believe the OL room has just gotten more competitive. Young and inexperienced, but I’m starting to like the bodies much better.

Rogers – Sadly, I don’t know zip on this guy but his size. Yep, I see why he’s here. LOL. Just compete, my guy.

I don’t think this draft is quite the plug-and-play that many expected. It’s more like plug and grow cuz you have plenty of room to do so. My grade would be a B- or a C+ per this exercise, but this toolsy group deserves time to earn extra credit.

I can envision Jerry Jones sitting in a solitary state with dimmed lights thinking to himself, “All in. I’ll give you all-in. Got you players for three consecutive 12-5 seasons and you didn’t get it done, so guess what now? You got developmental, inexperienced guys and no running back. Deal with that, Prescott!”

kskboys

Reaction score
Truly a draft class that I think we’d like to re-evaluate in a couple years. This group is indicative of what the Cowboys have being doing this offseason. There looking to 2025. Granted, some of these guys will be expected to see significant playing time this year, but I believe the long term was forefront with this specific draft class.

Guyton – We needed a tackle. He’s got great length, very traitsy, and his best football output is a couple years down the road. As I side note, I’m not a Solari guy, so I’m slightly concerned about Guyton’s development.

Kneeland – DE depth and successor to Lawrence. Big motor, plays the run well, good size, but simply not ready to be a contributor this year. I think the Cowboys see D-Law, darn near identical size, but to me they move quite differently. You can’t teach Kneeland what D-Law has.

Bebee – If not Center this year, then successor to Martin. I get that Bebee has played all along the line but to say, “We’ll just make him our center this year” has got to be somewhat insulting to those that play the position. No guarantee that this transition will be simple for him, but again, this is the 33-year-old’s replacement.

Liufau - Is this guy strictly a WILL and did we need that? I know, this bunch is LB deficient, and this dude is above JAG level. The problem is, and this to me is where the organization really tipped their hand on 2024 being a survive year, you know you’re not picking for 73 more selections, and you don’t go RB. You had to surmise that the RB cupboard would be all but empty by the 5th, and you had two potential game changers at 87. Liufau is unfairly going to be judged moving forward by the team NOT taking RB with this selection.

Carson - Could have been BPA and is a great pick to me. Still, CB wasn’t the neediest of the position groups, but he’ll see some time and is another solid player down the road.

Flournoy – Small school guy with talented skillset. I like the pick. While being connected to the GPS sensors at the combine, reportedly no other receiver moved faster while working through the drills. Some of you went, “Meh” on the guy but if he shows early, I think he could push for playing time. The mountain (really a hill with a 3% incline) he’s got to climb consists of Cropper, Bryant, and Brooks. Turpin and Tolbert, although not intimidating in the slightest, is asking a little too much in year one. Hope he makes it.

Thomas – Just make the roster buddy. He adds to the group that I hope starts the packing of the bags for Ball and Waletzko. Enough of those two. Are they healthy, can they play, blah…blah…blah? I believe the OL room has just gotten more competitive. Young and inexperienced, but I’m starting to like the bodies much better.

Rogers – Sadly, I don’t know zip on this guy but his size. Yep, I see why he’s here. LOL. Just compete, my guy.

I don’t think this draft is quite the plug-and-play that many expected. It’s more like plug and grow cuz you have plenty of room to do so. My grade would be a B- or a C+ per this exercise, but this toolsy group deserves time to earn extra credit.

I can envision Jerry Jones sitting in a solitary state with dimmed lights thinking to himself, “All in. I’ll give you all-in. Got you players for three consecutive 12-5 seasons and you didn’t get it done, so guess what now? You got developmental, inexperienced guys and no running back. Deal with that, Prescott!”
Well done.

Only thing I disagree w/ is the insulting to C thingie. Guys get moved to C all the time. It's usually due to not having the movement skills to play OG.

RonWashington

Reaction score
29. RT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma... Grade B
I was hoping Morgan was still there when they picked but with the trade back this becomes a better pick. He is all upside with much to improve on. In a few years I see him taking over for Steele. I don't think he will transition to LT with ease, and I expect Tyler Smith will end up at LT when Guyton struggles early on. He has the potential to be a very good Tackle in the future which saves the grade a bit.

56. DE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan... Grade C+
People have him ranked really high, for some reason. He is a fringe top 100 player in my eyes. He has Great athleticism but doesn't have enough bend or finish to his game to be a productive edge. Sacks were lacking against lesser competition. He is another high upside pick, just like Guyton. At least they don't expect him to start right away. He likes to run through the blocker in front of him but lacks pass rush moves, hopefully Tank can teach him a few. One positive, he is a very good run defender.

73. G/C Cooper Beebe, Kansas State... A+
My favorite pick for the Cowboys in this years draft. I think teams were scared of his arm length and that's why he fell as far as he did. I am not worried about that he handled playing both tackle positions without the desired arm length. His tape should have slotted him as a mid 2nd round player. He has amazing awareness and power and will be a starter this year. I think he plays LG and Tyler Smith will be moved out to LT. Guyton will not be ready. I hope I am wrong about Guyton I would love to have a mauler at Center.

87. ILB Marist Liufau, Notre Dame... Grade D
Reach! This was my least favorite pick by a landslide. I understand he is a Zimmer type LB, and he has very good coverage skills but he lacks the tackling ability to play an effective Mike LB. How does a starting LB have only 44 tackles in a year. PFF had his missed tackle rate at 18.9% on the year; that is really bad. He has good enough speed and coverage ability to be an ok player if Zimmer and Kendricks can teach the kid how to make a stinken' tackle. He was a 6th rounder to me.

174. CB Caelen Carson, Wake... Grade A-
I can't believe him and TJ Tampa slid down the board as far as they did. This is a very good value pick he should have went end of the 3rd. He doesn't have very many picks in his career at Wake; Bland didn't either at Fresno. Teams wouldn't through his way, the other Wake CB's are trash so teams would avoid his side. He tackles well enough for a DB. He plays zone very well. He keeps everything in front of him. He is a good athlete not great. He is a big upgrade over Wright and Scott Jr.

216. WR Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri State... B-
I would have rather had WR Brennan Rice with this pick. He is an older guy at 25 already as a rookie. Elite athleticism is the main reason he was even drafted. Fossil will love this guy on Special Teams if he can make him a gunner. It's possible he could beat out Brooks for that WR 5 or 6 spot. He averaged over 15 yards per catch and has very good YAC ability. He could be one of the Kick Returners for the team. Lacks a polished route tree but acceleration into his routes is strong.

233. OG/OT Nathan Thomas, Louisiana Lafayette... B
Good value pick, could have gone top of the 5th. He is a big guy who plays with reckless rage in the run game. Mauls everyone in his way and has just enough athleticism to get to second level blocks. He has a slow get off in pass sets, and speed rushers can get around him if he does get off the snap slow. He played the majority of his Career at Tackle but I see him moving inside to Guard. His position flex will be nice to have and the Cowboys can probably move on from Josh Ball now.

244. DT Justin Rogers, Auburn... B+
DT depth was a huge need and I wish they would have addressed it earlier in the draft. At least, they didn't forget about it all together. Mazi needed a rotation partner to keep him fresh throughout the entirety of the games. He has a little bit of pass rush but that's not his speciality. Trash can full of dirt. He eats up double teams. He doesn't end up on the ground a lot which is a very good attribute for D-Lineman to have. He isn't extremely tall which helps his leverage and balance. Not super strong, he lacks the pocket push that teams covet, but he won't get pushed back either.

Overall Draft Grade: B... 84/100... 84%

Nathan Thomas makes Ball expendable and a complete bust . I’m shocked not one RB . Kneeland can be rotational this yr replacing Armstrong and Guyton & Beebe just what the OL needed . Hope to see both start in 24

Siroky

Reaction score
I agree 100

Siroky

Reaction score
I agree 100 the base def will bring Micha and sam to out side linebackers and Kneeland is a dlaw clone!

Siroky

Reaction score
I agree 100 - Parsons and Sam are better suited as 3/4 linebackers and Kneeland is a dlaw clone

Malhavoc

Reaction score
So funny how folks can see things through a completely different lense. The homers and the haters. Always fun to see how this plays out in reality.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would give an initial grade of a C:

-Wasn't a fan of Guyton, but loved the Beebe selection. Trade value they received was excellent. Trade success will be on how Guyton develops.
-I understand the Kneeland pick, but Benson was my #1 back in the entire class. One of my biggest goals was to fix their run game, no running is inexcusable in my opinion.
-The Notre Dame LB was a major reach by the Media Scouts, but they really like the player. Hitchens was the same reaction a rd later and he was a good pick. I will reserve my judgement on this prospect.

Thought they really had another strong day 3. Future starting corner, a legitimate X receiver which is a huge need, depth inside the trenches.

Lack of attention to the middle of the defensive line is very discouraging. At some point they are going to have to find a stud, interior defender. Next year that is my #1 goal.