2024 Cowboys Draft Class Overall Grade

Brooksey

Reaction score
29. RT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma... Grade B
I was hoping Morgan was still there when they picked but with the trade back this becomes a better pick. He is all upside with much to improve on. In a few years I see him taking over for Steele. I don't think he will transition to LT with ease, and I expect Tyler Smith will end up at LT when Guyton struggles early on. He has the potential to be a very good Tackle in the future which saves the grade a bit.

56. DE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan... Grade C+
People have him ranked really high, for some reason. He is a fringe top 100 player in my eyes. He has Great athleticism but doesn't have enough bend or finish to his game to be a productive edge. Sacks were lacking against lesser competition. He is another high upside pick, just like Guyton. At least they don't expect him to start right away. He likes to run through the blocker in front of him but lacks pass rush moves, hopefully Tank can teach him a few. One positive, he is a very good run defender.

73. G/C Cooper Beebe, Kansas State... A+
My favorite pick for the Cowboys in this years draft. I think teams were scared of his arm length and that's why he fell as far as he did. I am not worried about that he handled playing both tackle positions without the desired arm length. His tape should have slotted him as a mid 2nd round player. He has amazing awareness and power and will be a starter this year. I think he plays LG and Tyler Smith will be moved out to LT. Guyton will not be ready. I hope I am wrong about Guyton I would love to have a mauler at Center.

87. ILB Marist Liufau, Notre Dame... Grade D
Reach! This was my least favorite pick by a landslide. I understand he is a Zimmer type LB, and he has very good coverage skills but he lacks the tackling ability to play an effective Mike LB. How does a starting LB have only 44 tackles in a year. PFF had his missed tackle rate at 18.9% on the year; that is really bad. He has good enough speed and coverage ability to be an ok player if Zimmer and Kendricks can teach the kid how to make a stinken' tackle. He was a 6th rounder to me.

174. CB Caelen Carson, Wake... Grade A-
I can't believe him and TJ Tampa slid down the board as far as they did. This is a very good value pick he should have went end of the 3rd. He doesn't have very many picks in his career at Wake; Bland didn't either at Fresno. Teams wouldn't through his way, the other Wake CB's are trash so teams would avoid his side. He tackles well enough for a DB. He plays zone very well. He keeps everything in front of him. He is a good athlete not great. He is a big upgrade over Wright and Scott Jr.

216. WR Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri State... B-
I would have rather had WR Brennan Rice with this pick. He is an older guy at 25 already as a rookie. Elite athleticism is the main reason he was even drafted. Fossil will love this guy on Special Teams if he can make him a gunner. It's possible he could beat out Brooks for that WR 5 or 6 spot. He averaged over 15 yards per catch and has very good YAC ability. He could be one of the Kick Returners for the team. Lacks a polished route tree but acceleration into his routes is strong.

233. OG/OT Nathan Thomas, Louisiana Lafayette... B
Good value pick, could have gone top of the 5th. He is a big guy who plays with reckless rage in the run game. Mauls everyone in his way and has just enough athleticism to get to second level blocks. He has a slow get off in pass sets, and speed rushers can get around him if he does get off the snap slow. He played the majority of his Career at Tackle but I see him moving inside to Guard. His position flex will be nice to have and the Cowboys can probably move on from Josh Ball now.

244. DT Justin Rogers, Auburn... B+
DT depth was a huge need and I wish they would have addressed it earlier in the draft. At least, they didn't forget about it all together. Mazi needed a rotation partner to keep him fresh throughout the entirety of the games. He has a little bit of pass rush but that's not his speciality. Trash can full of dirt. He eats up double teams. He doesn't end up on the ground a lot which is a very good attribute for D-Lineman to have. He isn't extremely tall which helps his leverage and balance. Not super strong, he lacks the pocket push that teams covet, but he won't get pushed back either.

Overall Draft Grade: B... 84/100... 84%

Guyton is better than Moses and will start at LT day 1, not take over for Steele on year 2, so it's hard to read the rest of your analysis seriously. I get it you don't like him, most didn't like Tyler Smith last year.. Grade the pick "with the trade" it was an A.
Kneeland is a run stopper, edge setting freak, he can also get after the QB, that's not what he was asked to do. Lawrence is 33, Pick is a B+, maybe an A
Liafu is the successor to Kendricks (32), a MLB from ND in the 4th, this was our only chance to get him, he wasn't going to be there in 5th RD when we picked, more less the 6th, B+, We got our guy

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Guyton is better than Moses and will start at LT day 1, not take over for Steele on year 2, so it's hard to read the rest of your analysis seriously. I get it you don't like him, most didn't like Tyler Smith last year.. Grade the pick "with the trade" it was an A.
Kneeland is a run stopper, edge setting freak, he can also get after the QB, that's not what he was asked to do. Lawrence is 33, Pick is a B+, maybe an A
Liafu is the successor to Kendricks (32), a MLB from ND in the 4th, this was our only chance to get him, he wasn't going to be there in 5th RD when we picked, more less the 6th, B+, We got our guy
You can look at it through rose colored glasses if you want, that's your prerogative.

Don't try to church it up boy, your names Dirt. :p

J-man

Reaction score
I give the draft a B+ Not taking a RB is mind blowing to me, but overall I think they did well. I think a couple of these guys start and many of them have a shot to play at least some this year but also be guys that can develop into key contributors in the future.

Guyton (B+) he wasn't the best LT in this class, but it doesn't mean he can't do the job. Remember that it was a great class and he would've been much higher rated in other years. I think they did very well on the trade down. When you factor in that they added Beebe to the interior of the line is a huge +.

I liked Kneeland (B) and think he is here to be a run stuffer plain and simple. We have pass rushers in Parsons and Williams, we needed to be more complete and be able to stop the run. He should help that. Once Brooks was taken, (he was their target RB) I think taking him was a smart move.

Beebe (A) this guy was a steal at 73. He's a beast and will make the interior so much better, regardless of where he ends up playing. Him sitting there is the reason we didn't draft a RB. He was much higher on the board than any RB still available. Although we certainly need one, it was the right move.

Liufau (C-) this is the pick I'm questioning the most. LB was obviously a huge need for them but he wasn't a guy I thought was a fit. Really thought they would've gone RB here after not taking one earlier. I sure hope Zimmer makes me eat crow.

Carson (B-) this was another steal IMO. He can play and was shocked he slid. CB was a sneaky need so this made sense to me. I think he will be pushing for a starting spot sooner than later.

Flournoy (B) this is a traits pick and he has a lot of them. Size, speed, athleticism are all very good. He will push for the 3rd spot and may end up winning it by years end. He just fits our "need' better than the other guys on the roster.

Thomas (C+) big boy can maul people. Where he fits, I don't know yet. But he's an upgrade to the room for sure. Our run blocking will certainly be better, for whenever we actually get a RB.

Rogers (C+) adding another big body for the D-line is always needed and a good idea. He will help stop the run on short yardage/goal line situations if nothing else.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Totally agree,I think it is a solid draft and I love the direction this team seems to be drafting for. Aggressive players were drafted in every round, this is the way you draft to beat San Francisco and Kansas City and Philadelphia.

Carter

Reaction score
Guyton: B-
Would have given it a D+ if not for the extra third we picked up with the trade down. Just doesnt feel like a boom or bust player like him should have been the pick. I dont feel he can play LT next season so we have to put our All Pro Guard to LT where he is average. He will likely be a rotational player year 1 and than move to RT or RG if Martin retires or Steele doesnt get it together.

Kneeland: D-
See what they did there with all the good run stuffing DT gone earlier and Brooks gone too but just dont feel it. Weak Stats in a weak conference. Braswell who went just the pick after was better in the best conference in football.

Beebe: A+
Best pick of the Draft. Might go down as the biggest steal in the Draft. Couldnt believe he was still there at 73. Likely a 10 Year Starter from Day 1. Believe he will start at Center and than be moved to RG when Martin retires next year.

Liuafau: F
5th-6th Rounder taken in the third because of need and Zimmers Scheme who wont be coaching here in a year anyway was just stupid with so many better players available that could have really helped. Not sure he will ever be starting material. Might be wrong but we dont need another LB that cant tackle.

Should have drafted the best RB in the Class in Lloyd who went the next pick. Jaylix Hunt or DeWayne Carter would have been Starting Material on the D-Line from Day 1. Even would have liked a try and hope for the best for Payton Wilson at that spot more.

Carson: A-
Great value Pick. Nasty attitude and a leader. Didnt have the stats you look for because the other DBs were trash at Wake so they avoided his side. Believe he could become a Starter in a Year 2

Flournoy: C+
25 year old Receiver ? I know hes athletic and a YAC guy but just dont really see how he gets out of the PS

Thomas: B+
Likes this pick. He could become a Swing Tackle that finally replaces Ball

Rogers: B+
Likes this pick too. Hard worker that has the mass to play against the Run and has a good motor. Could crack the rotation.

Overall: B-

Rayman70

Reaction score
the LB pick was just stupid because it completely ignores the rb position and we had Marshawn LLOYD sitting there. As well as others rated much higher than a marginal linebacker. Like the upside but that pick was dumb.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I give the draft a B+ Not taking a RB is mind blowing to me, but overall I think they did well. I think a couple of these guys start and many of them have a shot to play at least some this year but also be guys that can develop into key contributors in the future.

Guyton (B+) he wasn't the best LT in this class, but it doesn't mean he can't do the job. Remember that it was a great class and he would've been much higher rated in other years. I think they did very well on the trade down. When you factor in that they added Beebe to the interior of the line is a huge +.

I liked Kneeland (B) and think he is here to be a run stuffer plain and simple. We have pass rushers in Parsons and Williams, we needed to be more complete and be able to stop the run. He should help that. Once Brooks was taken, (he was their target RB) I think taking him was a smart move.

Beebe (A) this guy was a steal at 73. He's a beast and will make the interior so much better, regardless of where he ends up playing. Him sitting there is the reason we didn't draft a RB. He was much higher on the board than any RB still available. Although we certainly need one, it was the right move.

Liufau (C-) this is the pick I'm questioning the most. LB was obviously a huge need for them but he wasn't a guy I thought was a fit. Really thought they would've gone RB here after not taking one earlier. I sure hope Zimmer makes me eat crow.

Carson (B-) this was another steal IMO. He can play and was shocked he slid. CB was a sneaky need so this made sense to me. I think he will be pushing for a starting spot sooner than later.

Flournoy (B) this is a traits pick and he has a lot of them. Size, speed, athleticism are all very good. He will push for the 3rd spot and may end up winning it by years end. He just fits our "need' better than the other guys on the roster.

Thomas (C+) big boy can maul people. Where he fits, I don't know yet. But he's an upgrade to the room for sure. Our run blocking will certainly be better, for whenever we actually get a RB.

Rogers (C+) adding another big body for the D-line is always needed and a good idea. He will help stop the run on short yardage/goal line situations if nothing else.
I think they’re going to get 3 starters out of his draft. And Carson definitely looks like an ideal replacement for Lewis after this year.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
B to B+ the only issue is RB, but honestly if they make a trade or pick up a FA that gets shaken lose, it’ll be fine.

Bringing Zeke back is awful…

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think they’re going to get 3 starters out of his draft. And Carson definitely looks like an ideal replacement for Lewis after this year.
I think 3 is the minimum and likely for this year. But Liufau, Carson, Thomas all seem too have a lot of potential to start in a year or two down the road. Seems they have a plan for Luifau regardless what fans think based on the media's draft pundits grades which were all over the place on the other LBs as well.

Brooksey

Reaction score
You can look at it through rose colored glasses if you want, that's your prerogative.

Don't try to church it up boy, your names Dirt. :p
Stop trying to be special, you're not. You're just a clown who doesn't have a clue

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
29. RT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma... Grade B
I was hoping Morgan was still there when they picked but with the trade back this becomes a better pick. He is all upside with much to improve on. In a few years I see him taking over for Steele. I don't think he will transition to LT with ease, and I expect Tyler Smith will end up at LT when Guyton struggles early on. He has the potential to be a very good Tackle in the future which saves the grade a bit.

56. DE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan... Grade C+
People have him ranked really high, for some reason. He is a fringe top 100 player in my eyes. He has Great athleticism but doesn't have enough bend or finish to his game to be a productive edge. Sacks were lacking against lesser competition. He is another high upside pick, just like Guyton. At least they don't expect him to start right away. He likes to run through the blocker in front of him but lacks pass rush moves, hopefully Tank can teach him a few. One positive, he is a very good run defender.

73. G/C Cooper Beebe, Kansas State... A+
My favorite pick for the Cowboys in this years draft. I think teams were scared of his arm length and that's why he fell as far as he did. I am not worried about that he handled playing both tackle positions without the desired arm length. His tape should have slotted him as a mid 2nd round player. He has amazing awareness and power and will be a starter this year. I think he plays LG and Tyler Smith will be moved out to LT. Guyton will not be ready. I hope I am wrong about Guyton I would love to have a mauler at Center.

87. ILB Marist Liufau, Notre Dame... Grade D
Reach! This was my least favorite pick by a landslide. I understand he is a Zimmer type LB, and he has very good coverage skills but he lacks the tackling ability to play an effective Mike LB. How does a starting LB have only 44 tackles in a year. PFF had his missed tackle rate at 18.9% on the year; that is really bad. He has good enough speed and coverage ability to be an ok player if Zimmer and Kendricks can teach the kid how to make a stinken' tackle. He was a 6th rounder to me.

174. CB Caelen Carson, Wake... Grade A-
I can't believe him and TJ Tampa slid down the board as far as they did. This is a very good value pick he should have went end of the 3rd. He doesn't have very many picks in his career at Wake; Bland didn't either at Fresno. Teams wouldn't through his way, the other Wake CB's are trash so teams would avoid his side. He tackles well enough for a DB. He plays zone very well. He keeps everything in front of him. He is a good athlete not great. He is a big upgrade over Wright and Scott Jr.

216. WR Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri State... B-
I would have rather had WR Brennan Rice with this pick. He is an older guy at 25 already as a rookie. Elite athleticism is the main reason he was even drafted. Fossil will love this guy on Special Teams if he can make him a gunner. It's possible he could beat out Brooks for that WR 5 or 6 spot. He averaged over 15 yards per catch and has very good YAC ability. He could be one of the Kick Returners for the team. Lacks a polished route tree but acceleration into his routes is strong.

233. OG/OT Nathan Thomas, Louisiana Lafayette... B
Good value pick, could have gone top of the 5th. He is a big guy who plays with reckless rage in the run game. Mauls everyone in his way and has just enough athleticism to get to second level blocks. He has a slow get off in pass sets, and speed rushers can get around him if he does get off the snap slow. He played the majority of his Career at Tackle but I see him moving inside to Guard. His position flex will be nice to have and the Cowboys can probably move on from Josh Ball now.

244. DT Justin Rogers, Auburn... B+
DT depth was a huge need and I wish they would have addressed it earlier in the draft. At least, they didn't forget about it all together. Mazi needed a rotation partner to keep him fresh throughout the entirety of the games. He has a little bit of pass rush but that's not his speciality. Trash can full of dirt. He eats up double teams. He doesn't end up on the ground a lot which is a very good attribute for D-Lineman to have. He isn't extremely tall which helps his leverage and balance. Not super strong, he lacks the pocket push that teams covet, but he won't get pushed back either.

Overall Draft Grade: B... 84/100... 84%
I’d give the draft an A+ simply for the fact that they drafted some potential Dawgs. You could tell that the Cowboys knew they needed to get tougher and that’s what this draft has accomplished.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I bet the people killin this draft killed the Travis Frederick pick and the Tyler Smith pick too. Nobody knows diddly about how guys will adapt to the NFL until they get on the field. Until I see them in action I will not spend a nanosecond contemplating their "grade." This is like assigning students grades before they ever set foot inside the classroom. Makes zero sense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’d probably give it a C.

I’m all about maximizing value and we had 2 blinking red lights IMO this year. Arnold falling to 24 was laughable and we traded away from him and Franklin in the 2nd would’ve been a home run IMO.

We did nothing in FA though so I understand forcing the issue at needs. Trading back and adding a 3rd and still getting Guyton was solid.

I know Kneeland was pegged around where we took him but I have a really hard time getting excited about small schoolers with borderline zero production.

Beebe in the 3rd was our best pick in the draft.

Marist might’ve been our worst pick in the draft. Big reach and we drafted another RB that is a good blister and in coverage but not good against the run due to eyes / instincts.

Carson was outstanding value. Think he’ll get snaps year 1 and be CB3 by year 2.

Rest of the picks were basically darts…like Thomas, didn’t like Flournoy and the DT is fine.

Not drafting a RB is wild to me…I would’ve probably used a future pick to grab a 4th this year to do so.