2024 FA Additions and Depth Chart

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is right where I would start my evaluations on position.

This is a passing league first, so then look at the cornerbacks:

Stephon Gillmore was an absolute steal for the Cowboys this past season. Acquired in a March trade that sent a fifth rounder to Indianapolis for the former Defensive Player of the Year, one could say Gilmore saved Dallas’ season. Had the veteran not been on hand after Trevon Diggs was lost to a season-ending injury, the Cowboys would have been easy pickings for opposing passing attacks.

As luck would have it, DaRon Bland also stepped up enormously in Diggs’ stead, and cemented his future as the Cowboys CB2 going forward.

The Cowboys would love to bring Gilmore back and have Bland move back into his role inside as CB3.

That would require a new contract for Gilmore, first.

Sydla

Reaction score
who do you want to play LT and LG.
I think more than likely they will keep Tyron, play Tyler at LG and then likely draft an OT in the first couple of rounds. They also seem to like Richards so likely they will hope to bring him a long too.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I don't agree with extending Prescott, but it's going to happen.

I think you resign Smith to a team friendly deal as the swing tackle. Move Tyler to LT.

You forgot letting Biadasz walk also. In the draft you focus on C, G, LB, DT, and lastly RB.

If you can address some of those positions in free agency, great. But I wouldn't break the bank, unless it's a stud player.

I think in free agency Dallas should get one stud free agent. I would sign a DT, Chris Jones, or DJ Reader, or Madubuike, or Christian Wilkins. The top shelf guys. Then free agency is done. You then just try to resign the players you want to keep.

To get this cap space restructure Lawrence, Diggs, Steele, and Wilson. You can gain as much as 48 million in cap space. With the extension of Prescott also adding cap space, all this can be achieved.

Making Gallup a June 1st cut will give Dallas another 9.5 million.

It can be done, but it requires the team be very aggressive. Something they have not shown in the past.
yeah like i said above in comments, Jerry was Hurt by this loss and i think your going to see a more aggressive GM. The Above all could happen or we are just wishing and will be like another poster said Nickle and Dimming FA. i would hope we go all in, but time will tell.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
This is right where I would start my evaluations on position.

This is a passing league first, so then look at the cornerbacks:

Stephon Gillmore was an absolute steal for the Cowboys this past season. Acquired in a March trade that sent a fifth rounder to Indianapolis for the former Defensive Player of the Year, one could say Gilmore saved Dallas’ season. Had the veteran not been on hand after Trevon Diggs was lost to a season-ending injury, the Cowboys would have been easy pickings for opposing passing attacks.

As luck would have it, DaRon Bland also stepped up enormously in Diggs’ stead, and cemented his future as the Cowboys CB2 going forward.

The Cowboys would love to bring Gilmore back and have Bland move back into his role inside as CB3.

That would require a new contract for Gilmore, first.
I am not opposed to bringing back Gilmore and i know he was hurt in last game, but i think we will want to get Younger and faster there. In Draft it would be on a Priority list for CB

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I think more than likely they will keep Tyron, play Tyler at LG and then likely draft an OT in the first couple of rounds. They also seem to like Richards so likely they will hope to bring him a long too.
Honestly I would prefer to keep Tyron & move him to RT, but with his injury history and it affecting the games, they would have to sign him for a min to midlevel contract and move him to RT or Swing tackle and for a franchise cornerstone like him i dont think they are going to want to do that to him. so i honestly think they let him walk test FA and maybe bring him back.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I am not opposed to bringing back Gilmore and i know he was hurt in last game, but i think we will want to get Younger and faster there. In Draft it would be on a Priority list for CB
I don't see cornerback as a half measure position. It is a strong and a high value team need.

This then also, isn't a pull and just plug situation as well:

Set to hit free agency in March, the 26-year-old hits the market just as he enters the physical prime of his career. With his best years likely ahead, Biadasz looks to cash in on his experience and lock into a multi-year free agent deal.

For as pleased as the Cowboys have been with Biadasz over the years, they haven’t seen him progress like they hoped he would. Biadasz had the rare opportunity to play between two All-Pro guards in Dallas, yet has struggled to stand out in those extremely beneficial circumstances.

Biadasz has generally graded no better than the middle of the pack at center. And while his best football is likely ahead of him, budgets will be tight and Dallas has shown a willingness to let better interior linemen than Biadasz leave without much of a fight. Both Connor Williams and Connor McGovern have gone on to post successful careers after the Cowboys and Biadasz will likely follow suit.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/3-co...81b9dd311b4397877799c50d75a9908aea6d11e4470ce

CCBoy

Reaction score
Pollard, oh Pollard...

The NFL has taught the world RBs are often at the mercy of the blocking in front of them and individual runners offer little in value if the blocking in front of them isn’t good. Spoiler alert: the Cowboys' run blocking wasn’t good in 2024.

The blame for the Cowboys ineptitude largely falls on Mike Solari, Dallas’ offensive line coach, and not on Pollard. The shift to inside zone rushing didn’t play to Pollard’s strengths or his linemen’s strengths.

How much Pollard demands on the open market is difficult to say. He’s only 26-years-old but he’s coming off a poor season in which he struggled to regain pre-injury form. Before this season Pollard was regarded as one of the top big play RBs in the NFL so he’ll likely get plenty of offers this offseason.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/3-co...81b9dd311b4397877799c50d75a9908aea6d11e4470ce

Either sign him cheaper...or let his sign elsewhere and use the compensatory pick in the draft and sign a free agent.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So let me start with WE are in WIN NOW MODE. everything im pasting here revolves around Dak Getting extended for an UNDETERMINED amount but massaged so that we are able to get the players here we need to put this defense over the top and make a RUN This year.

FA Additions I believe can help us but also NOT break the bank.
Our Players:
  • Let Gallup Walk
  • Let Pollard Walk
  • Extend Dak
  • Let Tyron Smith Walk
  • Extend Lamb
  • Resign Hankins for rotation.
FA Additions:

Draft we can now take BPA

here is a Sudo DEPTH CHART w/out Drafted players OR Second stringers, because the draft is a crap shoot and you cannot know who's getting drafted.

DepthChart
that's a pretty good list not sure they can do all of that but let me get this out tyron Smith does not need to walk such a big pay cut he played for $6 million there are guys that played worse than him that make $20 million on the offensive lines now... And lots of people around here said we should go after say Jason Peters again try to bring him in in the middle of the year I'm gonna tell you right now that tyron Smith is still in better shape and at playing at a higher level than Jason Peters so if you can get him for four to $6 million he's worth keeping on his team because he's nearly a starter for 12 games a year that's not holding us back...

I mean if they decide to part ways with him that's OK but if you want to bring Hankins in who only plays about 50% of the snaps there's no reason not to bring tyron Smith back for reduced deal.

blueblood70

Reaction score
For the right price I'm bringing back Gilmore cooks hankins and tyron Smith just have to see if you can get very very team friendly reduced deals... By the way I don't think I'm extending Prescott I know we need the money but I'm gonna let Mike McCarthy and Prescott both play on their last one year deals if we lose them both that's OK with me if Prescott then wants to take an offer from us if we give him one or he wants to look at free agency that's fine too... But I just think that his 60 million that we might have on the books I don't see how it's gonna be reduced much if he's looking for 55 plus I don't think it saves us enough you can back load the other deals that you give out this year CD Lam Parsons other guys you might bring in you can backload their deals kick their cans down the road but Mike McCarthy and dak Prescott need to be tied at the hip on one year deals and let's just see how this works out...

Bluefin

Reaction score
CB is always going to be a need.

When Stephon Gilmore suffered a shoulder dislocation and torn labrum in the season finale, the team had no one available for Dan Quinn to turn to. Nahshon Wright was DQ special, but it's unclear why he's still here after showing nothing as a cornerback.

And I doubt anyone at the Star wants to be reminded of the absolute disaster 2021 2nd round CB Kelvin Joseph proved to be.

Dan Quinn felt he had no option other than to play Gilmore with one arm against Green Bay, which led to playing more zone coverage than we had seen all season.

And it was UGLY!

Getting Trevon Diggs back will be huge next season, but I do expect the team will attempt to re-sign Gilly or Jourdan Lewis to avoid having a huge hole to fill when the draft arrives.

But CB will still be a priority in late April.

You simply can't have enough of these guys.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
CB is always going to be a need.

When Stephon Gilmore suffered a shoulder dislocation and torn labrum in the season finale, the team had no one available for Dan Quinn to turn to. Nahshon Wright was DQ special, but it's unclear why he's still here after showing nothing as a cornerback.

And I doubt anyone at the Star wants to be reminded of the absolute disaster 2021 2nd round CB Kelvin Joseph proved to be.

Dan Quinn felt he had no option other than to play Gilmore with one arm against Green Bay, which led to playing more zone coverage than we had seen all season.

And it was UGLY!

Getting Trevon Diggs back will be huge next season, but I do expect the team will attempt to re-sign Gilly or Jourdan Lewis to avoid having a huge hole to fill when the draft arrives.

But CB will still be a priority in late April.

You simply can't have enough of these guys.
OMG we never can have enough. we also are loosing lewis to FA. so i think we need to resign bring in or draft a couple of guys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overshown?
The problem with Overshown IMO (and I hope I’m wrong) is he is not that great against the run. He’s fast but not that big. Again IMO we need some 250 lb LBs that can take on Guards in the running game. With guys like Bell and Clark who are basically big safeties, we can’t stop the run.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
So they all want to be Cowboys? We can count on them?

Also, Overshown coming back means we only need 1 free agent LB and draft pick.
Just my opinion, but I think folks need to pause on assuming Overshown is a lock to be a contributor next season. He's essentially a rookie coming back from a injury that many players take at least 2 years to really return back to normal. I wouldn't let him being on the team stop me from bringing in other LBs....but knowing this team, they'll give overshown a 4 year extension pretty soon

calicowboy54

Reaction score
The problem with Overshown IMO (and I hope I’m wrong) is he is not that great against the run. He’s fast but not that big. Again IMO we need some 250 lb LBs that can take on Guards in the running game. With guys like Bell and Clark who are basically big safeties, we can’t stop the run.
i would like overshown as a run and chase ILB the off the ball one. you have a thumper and a run and chase. i think that helps the defense in 2 ways.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think folks need to pause on assuming Overshown is a lock to be a contributor next season. He's essentially a rookie coming back from a injury that many players take at least 2 years to really return back to normal. I wouldn't let him being on the team stop me from bringing in other LBs....but knowing this team, they'll give overshown a 4 year extension pretty soon
Oh, he has the talent and his feet wet at the NFL level. I expect him to be a strong contributor.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He can be taught and shown how and when instantly to fill and check quickly. Good instruction and practice, practice, practice.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Oh, he has the talent and his feet wet at the NFL level. I expect him to be a strong contributor.
time will tell my good man. We don't have the best history with folks coming back from ACL injuries their first year back

1942willys

Reaction score
I don't see cornerback as a half measure position. It is a strong and a high value team need.

This then also, isn't a pull and just plug situation as well:

Set to hit free agency in March, the 26-year-old hits the market just as he enters the physical prime of his career. With his best years likely ahead, Biadasz looks to cash in on his experience and lock into a multi-year free agent deal.

For as pleased as the Cowboys have been with Biadasz over the years, they haven’t seen him progress like they hoped he would. Biadasz had the rare opportunity to play between two All-Pro guards in Dallas, yet has struggled to stand out in those extremely beneficial circumstances.

Biadasz has generally graded no better than the middle of the pack at center. And while his best football is likely ahead of him, budgets will be tight and Dallas has shown a willingness to let better interior linemen than Biadasz leave without much of a fight. Both Connor Williams and Connor McGovern have gone on to post successful careers after the Cowboys and Biadasz will likely follow suit.

Biadasz was as protected a center as you can get this season between Tyler and Zach, and still regressed. So I am fine with saying goodbye to him

THAT SAID

While I still think we can do a lot better the truly lousy run scheme this year certainly did not help.