2024 Surprise First Round Pick

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don’t know if you mean a surprise for the Cowboys or just in general.

If it’s the latter, I think Trey Benson could go in the late 20s in the 1st round.

I think the talk of him being a 3rd rounder is way off base.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Penix. The team just lets Prescott play out his contract and then they let him walk. There is just no way I pay Prescott the largest contract in the league.
That would be wild. Love the player.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

If it’s the latter, I think Trey Benson could go in the late 20s in the 1st round.

Surprise pick for the Cowboys like Micah, Tyler, and Mazi was in the previous 3 drafts.

Sydla

Reaction score
I usually like to wait until we get closer to the draft to make a thread like this but since the Cowboys appear to be sitting out free agency, here we go. The last 3 seasons the Cowboys drafted 3 players that know one saw coming in Micah, Tyler, and Mazi in the first round.

My surprise pick in the first round this season is Trey Benson RB Florida State. Who do you guys have as the pick nobody will see coming?
I can't wait to visit this board after we take a TB in the first round.

The entertainment value alone would be worth it.

But frankly, it would not surprise me if we took a TB in the first round. In fact, that seems exactly like the kind of thing we'd do, especially after listening to Stephen talking today about the RB spot. They don't seem driven to find a good one in FA so.....................

Sydla

Reaction score
Adoni Mitchell
With Gallup gone, WR suddenly becomes a first round position they could go after.

But this highlights the stupidity of how they handle FA. They need a C as theirs just left. They cut one of their Top 3 WRs. They currently have no LT. They lost one DT from last year and another might be signing in Seattle. They have no RBs.

Like any sane franchise would sign a player or two at some of these positions to give them the flexibility come draft time. Not these brain childs. They they think they will draft the guys to fill most of these positions instantly.

They are dumber than rocks.

Sydla

Reaction score
NFL-team-logo

Jackson Powers-JohnsonOC Oregon
NFL-team-logo

Trey BensonRB Florida State
NFL-team-logo

Braden FiskeDT Florida State
NFL-team-logo

Tommy EichenbergLB Ohio State
NFL-team-logo

Carson SteeleRB UCLA
NFL-team-logo

Ja'quan SheppardCB Maryland
NFL-team-logo

Jackson MitchellLB UConn

see with the help of PFF I can do McClays job sign me up. Bet your arse Im not taking a TE in round 2 :laugh:
I hate the idea of a TB in the 2nd but this isn't the worst draft. If you can bring back Tyron, which is a possibiity, then the OL doesn't look too shabby,

starfan1

Reaction score
I hate the idea of a TB in the 2nd but this isn't the worst draft. If you can bring back Tyron, which is a possibiity, then the OL doesn't look too shabby,
I like playing around with the mocks it would never turn out this good and I hope Tyron will return as well

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I can't wait to visit this board after we take a TB in the first round.

The entertainment value alone would be worth it.

But frankly, it would not surprise me if we took a TB in the first round. In fact, that seems exactly like the kind of thing we'd do, especially after listening to Stephen talking today about the RB spot. They don't seem driven to find a good one in FA so.....................
They would rather have the running back on a five year contract plus I think the good ones will be gone by 56. Supposedly there are three all purpose backs in this draft that have 2/3 grades. Remember how early Atlanta and Detroit picked their backs last draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I absolutely love Benson…but man 24 would be a stretch for me for a non value position. Sign me up in the 2nd.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With Gallup gone, WR suddenly becomes a first round position they could go after.

But this highlights the stupidity of how they handle FA. They need a C as theirs just left. They cut one of their Top 3 WRs. They currently have no LT. They lost one DT from last year and another might be signing in Seattle. They have no RBs.

Like any sane franchise would sign a player or two at some of these positions to give them the flexibility come draft time. Not these brain childs. They they think they will draft the guys to fill most of these positions instantly.

They are dumber than rocks.
Yup…but AD is a freaking monster and IMO his comp is Lamb. I would take him at 24 as long as a top 20 OLmen doesn’t fall.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one saw the last 3 first round picks coming?

I think he means he didn't see them coming.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I absolutely love Benson…but man 24 would be a stretch for me for a non value position. Sign me up in the 2nd.
What about a trade down with the Ravens, Buffalo, San Francisco or KC. :thumbup: Get those extra picks. Seriously though I don’t see the Cowboys getting Benson at 56.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
No one saw the last 3 first round picks coming?

I think he means he didn't see them coming.
I actually thought the Cowboys were looking at all three but the board and the draft shows were pumping other players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I usually like to wait until we get closer to the draft to make a thread like this but since the Cowboys appear to be sitting out free agency, here we go. The last 3 seasons the Cowboys drafted 3 players that know one saw coming in Micah, Tyler, and Mazi in the first round.

My surprise pick in the first round this season is Trey Benson RB Florida State. Who do you guys have as the pick nobody will see coming?
Tyler Smith: Not really a big surprise. I made multiple threads about him prior to that draft.

Micah: It was a surprise, but shouldn't have been.
- Anybody that watched his final college game (Cotton Bowl) had to think he was a consideration for any team.

Mazi: All the local media knew the Cowboys wanted a big DT early.
- I had him as a mid/late 2nd, but team's have to over-draft DTs.

Position Value: The Lions over-draft strategy worked out well for them last year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Tyler Smith: Not really a big surprise. I made multiple threads about him prior to that draft.

Micah: It was a surprise, but shouldn't have been.
- Anybody that watched his final college game (Cotton Bowl) had to think he was a consideration for any team.

Mazi: All the local media knew the Cowboys wanted a big DT early.
- I had him as a mid/late 2nd, but team's have to over-draft DTs.

Position Value: The Lions over-draft strategy worked out well for them last year.
You were one of the few who didn’t lose their lunch when Tyler was drafted on the board. Everything you reported about him was true. The draft show was so upset with the 2022 draft. I thought some of the guys would leave the show.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

C Zach Frazier (especially if either Powers-Johnson or Barton is still available)