2025 and 2026 Project Salary Cap Increases

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No agenda, I'm the one laying out actual data to back up my take. You're the one with the agenda which I have zero issue with until you make these ridiculous claim that I'm simply a Dak hater. It's completely uncalled for, and its exactly why you're always in the middle of every petty argument on this board.

I would love nothing more than for you to back up your take here with something of actual substance so that we can have an actual discussion on the topic, I'm actually open to a different perspective, but you probably can't because you post based off nothing but emotion.
The only data you laid out is your speculation. No facts that say Dak wants $60 mil. Nothing, nowhere.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That would seem far fetched, wouldn't it? But so was $40 million in 2021. I am not saying he is asking for $65 million, but I would be shocked if he takes less than $60 million And if Jerry waits until next year when he is a free agent to sign him, it will be $65 million.
The one thing that makes me think he could be asking for $65M is since he cannot be tagged for next season if him and his agent are already negotiating under next years cap figures. Not saying he is, but I wouldnt rule that out.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dak said publicly he’s not trying to set the market. Why won’t you acknowledge that? Rhetorical question.
Dak said the opposite.

"Whether it was the first time with the franchise tag negotiations or right now," he continued. "That's why I've said I have an agent that I'm confident in and a front office that we can figure out something that works for both of us and makes sense. ... I've said it before: I have an obligation to the NFL, to other quarterbacks and to my teammates when it comes to what I get paid and what I accept. That's where sometimes I leave it to my agents."

He’s letting Todd France ask for the moon because Dak feels he owes that to the other QBs in the league

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The only data you laid out is your speculation. No facts that say Dak wants $60 mil. Nothing, nowhere.
I literally laid out the number other QBs have gotten and where each money point would land Dak in relation to that. Thats called using logic and data. You have posted nothing but speculation based on your own personal feelings around Dak....again that's completely fine, I have no issues with anyone supporting a player on the Cowboys, but the fact that you attack posters who even offer a different opinion than you on Dak is ridiculous and why you can't have a civil discussion with fellow Cowboy fans.

Honestly man you should really consider not posting for a while and take some time. The fact you can't handle someone saying Dak will get over $60M without calling them a hater isn't healthy.

leeblair

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if Dak played for free.
He's not the answer.
So a higher salary cap doesn't justify paying him.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Sure there is more to it, but $55M for Dak would be a steal that Jerry would be a fool to not get the rest figured out ASAP. Dak will sign for $60M per year minimum, I guarantee that. IMO $65M is likely what Dak is looking for right now as that lines up with what Burrow signed for. If he were to hit free agency I think this is pushing it, but $70M on a shorter deal probably isnt out of the question for a team with significant cap space.
Great, let some other team give him the key to city so that he can choke in the playoffs. I'm tired of watching the same song and dance.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak said the opposite.

"Whether it was the first time with the franchise tag negotiations or right now," he continued. "That's why I've said I have an agent that I'm confident in and a front office that we can figure out something that works for both of us and makes sense. ... I've said it before: I have an obligation to the NFL, to other quarterbacks and to my teammates when it comes to what I get paid and what I accept. That's where sometimes I leave it to my agents."

He’s letting Todd France ask for the moon because Dak feels he owes that to the other QBs in the league
What the hell do you know you’re a Eagirls fan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...o-be-the-highest-paid-necessarily/ar-AA1nktKj

Dak Prescott on extension talks: ‘Not trying to be the highest paid, necessarily’​

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...o-be-the-highest-paid-necessarily/ar-AA1nktKj

Dak Prescott on extension talks: ‘Not trying to be the highest paid, necessarily’​

You realize that is an extremely vague quote which you're making it to be what you want it to be. "Not trying to be the highest paid could mean a number of things including that he's just looking for a shorter contract. I mean if he wanted to a 3 year $180M contract he would be the highest paid by AAV, but he wouldn't necessarily be the highest paid QB as their are richer contracts in overall money. That quote doesnt hold any real weight to it.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is why the more accurate projection for a Dak contract is closer to $65M than $55M
Lamb gets a 4 year extension at 34M, + 1 year at 18M. These are his cap hits.

8.7M
35M
33M
36M
39M

Those are some hefty cap hits. Dak is looking to be paid roughly double for around 4 years, + 1 year at 95M!! What do you think his cap hits will look like? This is my opinion of why this is taking so long with him.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Even with big cap increases putting Dak, micah and CD under contract is going to take up most of it. Then there is Diggs coming down the road and Bland. Tyler Smith as well.
Reality is that we are still going to have to do the Cap Dance no matter how much it goes up

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Lamb gets a 4 year extension at 34M, + 1 year at 18M. These are his cap hits.

8.7M
35M
33M
36M
39M

Those are some hefty cap hits. Dak is looking to be paid roughly double for around 4 years, + 1 year at 95M!! What do you think his cap hits will look like? This is my opinion of why this is taking so long with him.
Yeah the cap hits with Dak is a tough subject, especially since he already has over $100m in cap hits on the existing contract to worry about. For that reason I almost think the number of years is more important that the yearly amount. If I'm Dallas I would really push for a 6 maybe 5 year deal to spread that around more. I think your right that Dak probably wants a 3 or 4 year deal so he can reup one last time, but that just makes the numbers extremely difficult.

Just playing around with the tool on Spotrac.com a 4 year extension would look something like:

2024 - $60M
2025 - $65M
2026 - $61M
2027 - $60M
2028 - $44M
2029 - Void - $50M

Now that is without really moving the numbers around, so that 2028 and 2025 numbers are probably flipped, but we can see just how tough this contract is. Upping it to $65 is extremely tough adding another $20M, and this is why a $55m/year would be a pretty reasonably deal for the Cowboys.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

That was 4 months ago. The other quotes of his "obligation" to take care of his QB brotherhood are from this summer and get the most he can.

And the "necessarily" in your quote didn't need to be said, did it? Why even add it? Why not just say "Not trying to be the highest paid" if that is truly what he wants? It's called qualifying your statement.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah the cap hits with Dak is a tough subject, especially since he already has over $100m in cap hits on the existing contract to worry about. For that reason I almost think the number of years is more important that the yearly amount. If I'm Dallas I would really push for a 6 maybe 5 year deal to spread that around more. I think your right that Dak probably wants a 3 or 4 year deal so he can reup one last time, but that just makes the numbers extremely difficult.

Just playing around with the tool on Spotrac.com a 4 year extension would look something like:

2024 - $60M
2025 - $65M
2026 - $61M
2027 - $60M
2028 - $44M
2029 - Void - $50M

Now that is without really moving the numbers around, so that 2028 and 2025 numbers are probably flipped, but we can see just how tough this contract is. Upping it to $65 is extremely tough adding another $20M, and this is why a $55m/year would be a pretty reasonably deal for the Cowboys.
This is a good reason to not extend him. We're not winning anything with his cap hits that high. There are other QBs that are not as good that can get us to the playoffs without leaving us with a big dead cap when they're gone. I think people mistakenly believe that no matter what we pay Dak, he can get us to a SB. It's just not going to happen. Those are very restrictive cap hits.