22nd Pick Looks to be a DB

gosuns

Reaction score
After Stephen Jones' interview today here's what we know. RG and QB will be the targets in free agency this off season. Go ahead and pencil in Davis / Dielman or possibly Steinbach into the RG spot. Harrington or Rattay will probably be the backup QB. If this holds true and that's all Dallas really does in free agency one thing becomes VERY clear. Dallas will have no real holes on the team other than free safety depending on what you think about Watkins. Looking at the team with an addition of a starting RG and backup QB it's crystal clear what position Dallas will be targeting in the 1st round of the draft... A safety or a cornerback. My guy feeling is they take a CB unless Landry or Nelson falls to them.

QB-Romo
RB-Jones/Barber
FB-Hoyte
LT-Adams
LG-Kosier
C-Gurode
RG-Dielman / Davis - ***FA Signing***
RT-Columbo
TE-Witten
WR- Owens
WR-Glenn

DE-Spears
NT-Ferguson
DE-Canty
OLB-Ware
MLB-James
MLB-Ayodelle
OLB-Ellis
SS-Williams
FS- Reggie Nelson - ***1st Round Pick***
CB-Newman
CB-Henry

Now that's a starting lineup!

BLT

Reaction score
with the 1st rounder id rather get a CB than a safety. Cbs are much more valuable than safetys.

Woods

Reaction score
TheSport78;1396412 said:
what if we don't re-sign colombo?

Colombo is a priority, so he likely gets done (fingers crossed).

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
If we sign Hamlin, then a guy like Ross or Hughes becomes more likely. I still havew strong feelings for Bowe/Meachem

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Also, if this is all we do in Free Agency, I wonder who/when will be the first to freak out about us not doing anything. It's a yearly tradition

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd say it's definitely going to be a CB. Unless it's an OLB. Or a WR. Or a FS.

;)

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Your Plan makes sense if we resign Colombo, however don't rule out a WR at 22.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
reggie nelson didn't really light it up at the combine..and i'de rather get either aaron ross or leon hall and get a safety in free agency b/c we have no veteran leadership at that position IMO

Bizwah

Reaction score
gosuns;1396402 said:
After Stephen Jones' interview today here's what we know. RG and QB will be the targets in free agency this off season. Go ahead and pencil in Davis / Dielman or possibly Steinbach into the RG spot. Harrington or Rattay will probably be the backup QB. If this holds true and that's all Dallas really does in free agency one thing becomes VERY clear. Dallas will have no real holes on the team other than free safety depending on what you think about Watkins. Looking at the team with an addition of a starting RG and backup QB it's crystal clear what position Dallas will be targeting in the 1st round of the draft... A safety or a cornerback. My guy feeling is they take a CB unless Landry or Nelson falls to them.

QB-Romo
RB-Jones/Barber
FB-Hoyte
LT-Adams
LG-Kosier
C-Gurode
RG-Dielman / Davis - ***FA Signing***
RT-Columbo
TE-Witten
WR- Owens
WR-Glenn

DE-Spears
NT-Ferguson
DE-Canty
OLB-Ware
MLB-James
MLB-Ayodelle
OLB-Ellis
SS-Williams
FS- Reggie Nelson - ***1st Round Pick***
CB-Newman
CB-Henry

Now that's a starting lineup!

It's practically the same lineup that went 9-7 last year. I don't know that Ellis would've made that huge of a difference.

I think there are a number of holes..

You've addressed our major ones: RG and backup QB

But we have a few others....
FB: I like Hoyte, and I think he really did well considering he was a LB to start camp. But he's not a threat to catch or run. I don't think FB is a position to spend a first day pick on, but this is a hole.

Youth at WR: We're old here. Plain and simple.....WRs (unlike RB) take a few years to develop. I like the potential of Hurd and Austin, and I like Crayton (only as a third WR)...but we don't have a successor even close to being able to step in next year. I agree with Goose...WR needs to be addressed this year. The WR class is too deep to do nothing.

Depth at NT: If Ferguson goes down, we're in trouble. I think Ferguson did a nice job, but I would love to get a dominating presence here.

FS: How long will this position continue to hold us hostage? I like Watkins. I think his potential is through the roof...and he may be servicable enough to enable us to take the best available player.

It seems every single year, JJ and Co go into the season with a position they refuse to touch (even though it's obvious to everyone else). For a few years it was a second WR to compliment Irvin...then we ignored a DT to compliment Glover...then we needed a second CB to pair with Newman...then we needed a RT....now we need a FS to make Roy better.

A DB would be nice....but I think the best drafts are those that you can sit back and let the best players land in your lap. I'd hate to see us pass up a good player because we feel safe at the position.

I like our lineup.....I like the starters you have....but again, we weren't good enough with most of that lineup last year.

sago1

Reaction score
Also don't rule out our need for an OT to succeed Floziel Adams. This is last year of his 5 year contract and he is/will be 32. I know we've got McQuistan behind him but McQ hasn't played an NFL down so who knows. Of course we've got Fabini who Cowboys might just keep as OT backup but I'd sure like to sign a young OT in this draft rather then wait until 08--not saying it must be a first rounder but sure would like it to be in first 4 rounds.

Bizwah

Reaction score
sago1;1396436 said:
Also don't rule out our need for an OT to succeed Floziel Adams. This is last year of his 5 year contract and he is/will be 32. I know we've got McQuistan behind him but McQ hasn't played an NFL down so who knows. Of course we've got Fabini who Cowboys might just keep as OT backup but I'd sure like to sign a young OT in this draft rather then wait until 08--not saying it must be a first rounder but sure would like it to be in first 4 rounds.

Good point....

I think we just need to go BPA with every pick. We have depth issues at nearly every position.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BLT;1396413 said:
with the 1st rounder id rather get a CB than a safety. Cbs are much more valuable than safetys.

not if they leave Henry at CB

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheSport78;1396430 said:
reggie nelson didn't really light it up at the combine..and i'de rather get either aaron ross or leon hall and get a safety in free agency b/c we have no veteran leadership at that position IMO

Reggie Nelson is a far better football player than either Leon Hall or Aaron Ross

Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice didnt look like world beaters at their combines either...and where they got drafted was a result of some teams being incredibly stupid and paying attention to stuff like "they didnt light it up at the combine"

David

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
dbair1967;1396464 said:
not if they leave Henry at CB

David

what do you think eric weddle form utah i think?? he would be a solid 2nd round pick

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheSport78;1396477 said:
what do you think eric weddle form utah i think?? he would be a solid 2nd round pick

I havent seen him play any...havent watched Utah in a couple of yrs

David

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still betting it's a WR or CB at 22. If forced to choose I'm on record as saying CB but would be happy with either.