25 years of roster building- what it reveals

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, Jan 21, 2021.

1. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

25,691 Messages
    27,959 Likes Received
    Which clearly shows that we value the wrong areas on D.

2. kskboys

25,691 Messages
    27,959 Likes Received
    That's IF they even realize there is a hole there. They certainly don't at S and DT.

HowardC and Diehardblues like this.
  3. rnr_honeybadger

rnr_honeybadger Well-Known Member

6,179 Messages
    8,211 Likes Received
    Wonder how many more years it is going to take them to realize that they suck at evaluating talent.

Bobhaze likes this.
  4. kskboys

25,691 Messages
    27,959 Likes Received
    And what is everyone screaming for once again in the next draft? CB's.

Jerry has some people completely snowed.

Bobhaze and Diehardblues like this.
  5. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    6,266 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

6. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,920 Messages
    49,858 Likes Received
    How often do you think this happens? Owner sees some buzz on a player. Asks the GM about it. GM tells him the player is overrated and not a real pressing need. He's paying the GM to do just that so he backs off but occasionally you get a Snyder and Griffin deal or Ditka and Williams deal happening but very seldom.

The Cowboys owner sees some buzz on a player, who does he ask about it?

One owner/GM and 15 GM's passed on Lamb. Do you think a GM at that 17 spot might have considered since there wasn't the immediate help on the D there, he might just barter that for a 1st and 2nd in this draft? If what you need is not there, bank it for when it is there. The objective was to make the team better and he didn't. He was sitting on the water and wanting to make a splash.

7. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,677 Messages
    46,022 Likes Received
    I think Jerry needs to fire the GM and the Director of Player Personnel who keep making these picks.

CouchCoach likes this.
  8. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,920 Messages
    49,858 Likes Received
    I think that is more of what's there at 10 and the rankings of the CB's and LB. Most I've seen don't value a DT at the 10 spot.

If we flash back to the Yosemite draft, most didn't have him where the Cowboys took him and many were upset. He was a need and they got just what they needed.

There is also the challenge of having CB's up for contracts, the assumption is they need CB's.

9. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,677 Messages
    46,022 Likes Received
    In Jerry's defense it's easy to say trade back. The clock is running and someone else needs to want to trade up.

The Eagles seemed to have interest in Lamb. Did we want to trade with them?

But yeah, Jerry does like his splashes...in April. Can't seem to have on in February.

HowardC and CouchCoach like this.
  10. aria

aria Well-Known Member

17,294 Messages
    16,555 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys!

11. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,677 Messages
    46,022 Likes Received
    I think I've reached the point of embarrassment. I haven't worn anything Cowboys in public for a few years. Not worth the crap from the locals, especially since there really is no defense from the criticism at this point.

The Cowboys have become a punch line.

Bobhaze likes this.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

35,886 Messages
    8,001 Likes Received
    There wasn't anything wrong with the roster building for most of the last 10 years. That was a nepotistic coaching problem..

13. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,920 Messages
    49,858 Likes Received
    Agree, it might have been difficult under those circumstances but if they had a full time GM, he might have just laid some groundwork for a situation such as that. I would have traded with PHL in a New York second and now I'd have the 6th and 10th picks and I could get one of the two best CB's and the best LB in this draft. Or I could spin that 6 pick to a QB seeker for some serious draft capital.

Jake likes this.
  14. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,920 Messages
    49,858 Likes Received
    I am past that point. A man my age wearing a player's jersey is beyond embarrassing, it's sad. Makes me feel like I should grow a beard, have all of my teeth extracted and commune with the ducks in the park.

JustChip, Bobhaze and Jake like this.
  15. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,677 Messages
    46,022 Likes Received
    Oh I'm not talking about a jersey - past that point as well. I'm talking about wearing a polo shirt to a golf outing. I'll wear a Pittsburgh Pirates one and they're as bad as it gets. But where I live almost everyone roots for them.

Usually go with the alma mater (Ohio State). Lots of Penn State fans around here. :muttley:

Bobhaze and CouchCoach like this.
  16. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,126 Messages
    25,330 Likes Received
    So true and well said. And as you point out Coach, if you look at “premium draft picks”- rounds 1-3- the Cowboys don’t spend much at all on DT or S. We’ve known that for a while, but when I did this research, it really jumps out at you.

kskboys likes this.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    3,448 Likes Received
    Dont forget the 2 special teams drafts. What a clown show.

Bobhaze likes this.
  18. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,126 Messages
    25,330 Likes Received
    When I see the threads at the end of every season expressing the frustration of “Why can’t we we ever win in the playoffs?”, there should be no mystery. This organization has proven they don’t know how to build a roster that wins in the playoffs. In these 25 years since winning a SB, we’ve only made the playoffs 10 times. That means in the last qtr century, this team has only made the playoffs 40% of the time.

kskboys likes this.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

62,032 Messages
    115,150 Likes Received
    Imagine thinking Jerry and Stephen even have a philosophy on building a football team.

20. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

35,607 Messages
    20,779 Likes Received
    They do and Jethro laid it out recently .
    “ relative and interesting “