25 years of roster building- what it reveals

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones boys can build a decent team on one side of the ball, but never a deep-playoff run team, or at least not for the past quarter of a century as Hazey points out. I hear they are building a Jerry Jones statue in Philly next to the Rocky statue as a tribute to the man who has screwed the Cowboy organization for a quarter of a century. It's us fans that disdain Jerry, the Eagles love him and hope he lives to be 100 (yeah an Eagles fan actually told me that ten years ago oops).
Truth bomb Art. Jerry is probably headed to the egirls HOF for his roster work here, lol.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Truth bomb Art. Jerry is probably headed to the egirls HOF for his roster work here, lol.

Fortunately, Jerry has spent years teaching this guy all that he knows (since he's only ever worked for the Cowboys).

267x367

I'm sure things will get better. :facepalm:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fortunately, Jerry has spent years teaching this guy all that he knows (since he's only ever worked for the Cowboys).

267x367

I'm sure things will get better. :facepalm:
Imagine qualifying for a lifetime executive position the night your dad’s check to buy the team cleared the bank. Those are SJs qualifications- his dad owns the team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
A quarter of a century has gone by since the Dallas Cowboys played in and won a Super Bowl. Or played in and won a conference championship game. Or even won a divisional playoff game. Perspective? Dak Prescott was 2 years old the last time that happened. Cedee Lamb wasn’t born yet. Nearly half our current roster wasn’t even born yet. Tony Romo was 15. This could go on....

But I was curious about how this organization invested its roster building capital the last 25 years. By that I mean which positions did the organization spend the most draft and trade capital to build a roster? The answer to that question reveals a big reason why this organization can’t seem to build a playoff winner.

Here are the positions this FO has spent most of its roster and draft capital on the last 25 years showing what they value most:

• WR- Surprise! The Cowboys have drafted 18 WRs in the last 25 drafts, and have also used 4 number one draft picks in trades for Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, and Amari Cooper. That makes a whopping 22 draft picks used to acquire WRs!
  • DEs- The Cowboys have used 20 draft picks to acquire DEs the last 25 years.
  • LBs- The next most popular position has been LB with 18 draft picks.
  • CBs- Next most popular is corner backs with 13 picks.
  • DTs- only 11 have been drafted over 25 years, and 3 of those were in the last 2 years.
  • I’m not going to go position by position but the bottom two roster positions valued after P and K was also no surprise- S (only 7 drafted in 25 years) and QB (only 6)
If you want to know what an organization values, look at where they spend their roster capital. For the Cowboys the last 25 years, that position is WR. That says a lot about why we can’t seem to get over the playoff hump the last quarter century.

Here is a link I used to look up Cowboys draft history on Pro Football Reference, a free site with lots of good info. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm
You can’t just go by the numbers and make a declaration like this. The GM looks for the type of players the coaching staff wants.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Of course the PSL’s have tremendous effect. Fans are locked in. And why they broker the tickets out.

It’s why I walked away after 4 decades at Texas Stadium.
I miss Texas Stadium in a bad kind of way.

Many great moments there. Those were some good times.

Then the walking ego decided he knows as much about football as anyone.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Imagine qualifying for a lifetime executive position the night your dad’s check to buy the team cleared the bank. Those are SJs qualifications- his dad owns the team.
If you stop and realize that the two running our team would never as much as be CONSIDERED for the same position by another NFL team its quite sobering.

It also makes sense of the results of the last 25 years.

Yet, they get away with it. I have no idea how or why in the world the media down there allows it with no apparent criticism at all.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you stop and realize that the two running our team would never as much as be CONSIDERED for the same position by another NFL team its quite sobering.

It also makes sense of the results of the last 25 years.

Yet, they get away with it. I have no idea how or why in the world the media down there allows it with no apparent criticism at all.
Oh there’s plenty of criticism down here. Just not on the Cowboys’ flagship radio station. The Dallas station “The Ticket” laughs at Jerry often and ask tough q’s about why fans still buy tix. The criticism is there but it’s not loud enough and it needs to include former players. If Roger, Emmitt, Michael Irvin, Bob Lily, etc came out publicly I think Jerry would be stung.