2nd & Goal from 9 vs 1st & G from the 13

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
This is another reason, we have to finally get RED out of here. He will cost us a few games every year with bone head decisions.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
What's the consensus here on what happened in the game? 1st and goal at the 3, we tackle Barkley for a 6 yard loss, but there is a holding call.

In my mind I immediately thought "decline". To me 4 yards was not worth an extra down when you're that close to the goal. I was not the least bit shocked the Garrett accepted it, because well its Garrett..but maybe I'm wrong.

What's the consensus here?

(apologies if there is another thread on this - couldn't find it)

Whoever gave Garrett the moniker the red headed genius is a moron. I guess that must be Jerry.

But Im not surprised. Garrett really should not be coaching this team. The day when he leaves, our chances of going to the superbowl will increase by 100%.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
More proof Garrett still doesn't know what the **** he is doing. Even when we got a sack and it was a twelve yard loss it took for ever for us to decline a holding penalty. Very weird situation between the refs and Garrett and all the time it took, it was as if the refs weren't sure what he was going to do. The guy is a ******* moron that went to Princeton. Book smart but street idiot.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Declining the penalty should have been the correct call. Hindsight says it didn’t hurt the team, but it is small, head scratching decisions like these that makes me doubt the team can win with Garrett. They say this is a game of inches, and Garrett is going to have to be an obstacle our players will need to overcome in order to win. The man just has a difficult time on the sidelines on game day.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
This is another example of questions that I ask the remaining Garrett supporters/supporteR?

How many times can he make these mistakes that decent Madden players learn to avoid in far less than 8 years?

vlad

Reaction score
I don't pay attention like I used to, has anyone in the media asked him about this or raised hell about it? I tried to be diplomatic in my first post, but this is just so so so so silly and really just inexcusable (though I'm sure many would excuse it because Garrett can do no wrong)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

vlad

Reaction score
Well, it ended up being 2nd and 11 so they made the right decision...

I disagree. The outcome is independent of the decision, because there is no way of knowing that outcome at the time of the decision, you can only improve your chances at that point.

vlad

Reaction score
Depends on the O you face, the play of your defense, the score at the time, the time on the clock, and home or away. Most tems you decline. Buffalo, Cleveland, NYG, Seattle, and a few others you accept.

But why? Its not like you're going to take them out of field goal range...you're just giving them one more shot at an "and goal" situation.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
the sad thing is that the right decision was obvious to most of us immediately.
and we r shocked that garrett made the wrong decision as it happens.
it is like omg what is garrett doing, then it becomes i cannot believe cowboys cannot even get this simple decision right.
You really think people are shocked? Shocked is what you could call it when his learning on the job opportunity bears fruit.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I'm in the shoulda declined the penalty camp too. That extra down is more valuable than the few extra yards in that situation. Luckily, it didn't bite us in the bum.

Brax

Reaction score
What's the consensus here on what happened in the game? 1st and goal at the 3, we tackle Barkley for a 6 yard loss, but there is a holding call.

In my mind I immediately thought "decline". To me 4 yards was not worth an extra down when you're that close to the goal. I was not the least bit shocked the Garrett accepted it, because well its Garrett..but maybe I'm wrong.

Just another JG head scratch'er, show everyone just the kind of HC he is. sad sad sad.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I doubt if there is a big difference statistically.

The 4 yards is significant near the goal-line; however, I personally would decline the penalty.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I was discussing this with a co-Worker yesterday. We both were confused on why they accepted that penalty.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Another blunder from Garrett. Still has no idea how to manage a game.

He also had to have it explained to him earlier in the game about a penalty decision where everyone and the whole entire board were like "decline the penalty!". Even the ref came up to him doing the decline motion right away because it was so obvious what the call should have been. I can't remember the exact scenario that was being played out but it was so obvious to decline it. Yet our genius head coach actually needed it explained to him. He's still in way over his head.

Dre11

Reaction score
It really didn't matter in this case, the defense was stout. So either would've sufficed. The extra 3 yards for a stop or 1 less down and 3 less yards.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The down at the goal line is worth more than 4 yards. Luckliy Eli isn't very good and the Giants are as bad as we are at playcalling. Giving them 3 new chances to throw into the endzone was not a good decision, and the fact that it worked out doesn't change that.

If we give those three throw to Rodgers, or Ryan, or Goff, or Wentz, or Brady, anyone with talent, we're screwed. That's why we will lose a playoff game if by some miracle we make it to the tourney.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think you have to look it from all sides and not just what you would do to determine if it was the wrong call. I guarantee you that tendencies had something to do with the decision. Did 1st and goal from the 13 make them easier to defend based on what their tendencies are compared to 2 and goal from the 9? Did 1st and 13 make them more likely to pass than to run? Or vice versa? Now, maybe some of you have studied those things and know what they are. I haven't. Just for the record, i would have declined it as well, thinking the extra down was not worth the 4 yards. But again, just because I would have done it differently, doesn't make it wrong.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
BLEH... guy's it ain't like we haven't known for the past 8 years that JJ actually went out and placed coach Klein in lead of the team...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I thought it was a bad decision too. Take the play and loss of down.