3-4 DE does not mean 'block eater'

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Jab at other teams for a change.

Better yet as Ellis, Glover get into their 30's. Lets keep our 4-3 undersized LB defense status quo. Talk about recipe for a meltdown with NO FUTURE.

Go Ware, Shanle, Thornton and Burnett - change was needed and is good!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
No - our LB's have not performed....... Parcells as much said no playmakers after season ended. He went out and drafted Ware and Burnett and stated he was looking for difference makers on defense. Cut Coakley and Al s being pushed by Shanle and crew.

Back to my jab, what are the sack totals for our LB's past 5 seasons? I'll have time later in week to post the facts there.
Yawn.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Better yet as Ellis, Glover get into their 30's. Lets keep our 4-3 undersized LB defense status quo. Talk about recipe for a meltdown with NO FUTURE.

Go Ware, Shanle, Thornton and Burnett - change was needed and is good!
No idea why you're telling me this since I have never advocated it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
yawn - avoid the issue

You sure as hell staunchly advocated staying in 4-3. Save me the personell rant. I'm glad you like the changes in place and YES - we will have 4-3 in our playbook as we move to a base 3-4.

I advocate having that diversity.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
yawn - avoid the issue

You sure as hell staunchly advocated staying in 4-3. Save me the personell rant. I'm glad you like the changes in place and YES - we will have 4-3 in our playbook as we move to a base 3-4.

I advocate having that diversity.
No, you keep assuming that is what I advocated. You are still wrong.

I advocated not switching without getting the personnel to do it. There is a difference.

I truly don't care what scheme we run as long as we acquire solid, smart players to do it.

If you had your way our defense of the last 2 years would have been a nightmare. Whether you can admit it or not, doing it this way was what I advocated all along for 2 years. By acquiring the pesonnel to run it so that it makes sense.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Nors said:
No - our LB's have not performed....... Parcells as much said no playmakers after season ended. He went out and drafted Ware and Burnett and stated he was looking for difference makers on defense. Cut Coakley and Al s being pushed by Shanle and crew.

Back to my jab, what are the sack totals for our LB's past 5 seasons? I'll have time later in week to post the facts there.

It wasn't the role of our linebackers to sack the QB in past defenses. We have never had anything more than a few (and, quite honestly, vanilla) blitz plays. We were relying on the line to create the pressure, not the LBers. Unfortunately, Glover and Ellis have been our only effective pass rushers.

It isn't that they didn't perform - it's that they weren't rushing the QB in the first place.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Once again, the Cowboys will likely employ an even set on nickel packages, so our DL better be prepared to rush the passer. And I don't think Belichick has used all those high draft picks on Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Marquise Hill and Vince Wilfork just to control gaps.

Yet that is why they are going back to a 4-3 defense this year

Hum

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I find it difficult to believe that Belichick will change his MO and use any formation or scheme on any permament basis. He'll adapt, adjust and gameplan according to his opponent week by week. He'll not only base his decisions on his player's strengths but to exploit the given opponent's weaknesses. Such as when he played the Colts last year and used a formation with a 2 man line, droped 8 or 9 players back into coverage had All Pro caliber player like Ty Warren standing on the sidelines in favor of a dime back who barely made the team ,or maybe was picked up the two weeks ago off the street as an emergency roster addition, because he believes that gives his team the best chance of winning.

In the process he'll expect his players overcome any adversity, perhaps sacrifice individual comfort or achievement for the good of the team and most of all make plays like the highly paid professionals they are.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
The first responsability for the DE in a 34 is to control his zone. His second responsability is to stay disciplined in his area. The reason a 34 works is because of the angles the LBs use to get to the QB. A DE is supposed to make it more difficult for OLs to get at the LBs. I don't think your ever going to see DEs in a 34 primarily used to rush QBs. I could be wrong but it would defeat the purpose of the 34, as I see it.
But that has been exactly the same for our DE's in the 4-3 as well the past 3 or 4 seasons. Its not like any of our DL were double digit guys.

DE's controlled gaps and had outside contain.
All the while facing more double teams than they will in a 3-4.

Getting better pass rushers on the field will reduce the pressure guys like Ellis and Glover have to be THE pass rusher and will draw blockers away from them.