3-4 DE does not mean 'block eater'

Reaction score
I see this all the time with people saying they think Ellis/Spears/Canty and whoever else are going to be wasted at 3-4 end 'eating blocks'. I hate to tell people, but while they are used more in that role than they would be in a 4-3, 3-4 ends are certainly allowed to get at QBs. See Aaron Smith, who had 8 sacks last year in pittsburgh. Ellis was our team leader with 8 in 2003, and only had 9 last year, so that's nothing to be ashamed of.

The thing is, what some don't realize, is that those 3-4 ends actually get freed up to rush the QB when a guy like Ware comes off the edge, and the TE or RB has to pick him up, giving the ends opportunities to get there also.

Just my 2 cents for the day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Joshmvii said:
I see this all the time with people saying they think Ellis/Spears/Canty and whoever else are going to be wasted at 3-4 end 'eating blocks'. I hate to tell people, but while they are used more in that role than they would be in a 4-3, 3-4 ends are certainly allowed to get at QBs. See Aaron Smith, who had 8 sacks last year in pittsburgh. Ellis was our team leader with 8 in 2003, and only had 9 last year, so that's nothing to be ashamed of.

The thing is, what some don't realize, is that those 3-4 ends actually get freed up to rush the QB when a guy like Ware comes off the edge, and the TE or RB has to pick him up, giving the ends opportunities to get there also.

The first responsability for the DE in a 34 is to control his zone. His second responsability is to stay disciplined in his area. The reason a 34 works is because of the angles the LBs use to get to the QB. A DE is supposed to make it more difficult for OLs to get at the LBs. I don't think your ever going to see DEs in a 34 primarily used to rush QBs. I could be wrong but it would defeat the purpose of the 34, as I see it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Joshmvii said:

I would assume the 3-4 end has to control his gap first, and if there is a sack it is a bonus--more often than not as the result of the QB being flushed inside the tackle box. If a 3-4 fires up the field as a rusher, there is some loss of integrity and you are asking a ILB to fill the gap which is pretty dangerous.

This is not rocket science here. The 3-4 uses one more OLB who basically is an up or down rusher who can also drop in coverage if only three men are rushed or if there is another blitzer coming from elsewhere.

The roles of the defensive linemen and the gaps they are asked to control (not shoot) is the primary difference.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I would assume the 3-4 end has to control his gap first, and if there is a sack it is a bonus--more often than not as the result of the QB being flushed inside the tackle box. If a 3-4 fires up the field as a rusher, there is some loss of integrity and you are asking a ILB to fill the gap which is pretty dangerous.

This is not rocket science here. The 3-4 uses one more OLB who basically is an up or down rusher who can also drop in coverage if only three men are rushed or if there is another blitzer coming from elsewhere.

The roles of the defensive linemen and the gaps they are asked to control (not shoot) is the primary difference.
Again :hammer:

This is why you see names like Lawrence Taylor and Kevin Greene on the all time leading sack lists.

It is also why you see someone like Michael Boulware register 16 sacks in a season playing in that scheme.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Again :hammer:

This is why you see names like Lawrence Taylor and Kevin Greene on the all time leading sack lists.

It is also why you see someone like Michael Boulware register 16 sacks in a season playing in that scheme.

We can only hope ;)

Reaction score
I'm not trying to say the ends are used to get sacks, but it's not like they're going to be wasted, because as the LBs flush out the QB, those athletic ends still get the opportunities to get at the QB.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joshmvii said:
I'm not trying to say the ends are used to get sacks, but it's not like they're going to be wasted, because as the LBs flush out the QB, those athletic ends still get the opportunities to get at the QB.
No one was maintaining any player is wasted. In football there are a myriad of assignments. Doing them well means winning. Lacking effort in them means losing. In a 3-4 the main object of the front 3 is not to get sacks. I'm sorry, that's just the truth. Very few defenses are designed for every player to register sacks. Someone has to do the bull work inside on the LOS. In a 3-4 the OLBs and players on stunts and blitzes pick up more sacks than the DL. In saying this I am not talking about 1 or 2 guys I mean the entire bunch. It is how it is designed but it is not wasting anyone. There's more glory in sacks but not more value. A job done right is a job done right.

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
Joshmvii said:

I think that we will see Ellis standing up (OLB for those of you in Rio Linda) on passing downs with Canty or Spears with his hand on the ground.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ware will be the beneficairy of Spears and Canty's play. I see Spears as invaluable as a 3-4 DE. With his size and football skills we can actually start to move the Oline BACKWARDS pysically and not just shooting gaps. Ware will benefit and be the double digit sack guy.

Canty
Ferguson
Spears

Gent

Reaction score
Our 4-3 DEs aren't primarily trying to rush the passer on most downs, either. Stopping the run has been heavily emphasized over pass rush in our defensive philosophy. DEs are never going to get much glory in our system, regardless of alignment.

-Gent

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gent said:
Our 4-3 DEs aren't primarily trying to rush the passer on most downs, either. Stopping the run has been heavily emphasized over pass rush in our defensive philosophy. DEs are never going to get much glory in our system, regardless of alignment.

-Gent
Very true. Still doesn't change their role now. The OLBs need to register the sacks.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Very true. Still doesn't change their role now. The OLBs need to register the sacks.

Really and truly, i don care how many sacks the DL gets, or the LB's get, its all about the total amount, if our team can registar 30, 40+ sacks, i dont care if all our DL and OLB have 5 each, it's all about the total

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
When was the last time a Dallas linebacker had a sack?

I thought our Dline was instructed to hold up the Oline and let the QB tire himself out running around in the pocket unchallenged. Remember that classic Eagle play where McSoup held the ball 15 seconds and nailed us on a bomb.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Nors said:
When was the last time a Dallas linebacker had a sack?

I thought our Dline was instructed to hold up the Oline and let the QB tire himself out running around in the pocket unchallenged. Remember that classic Eagle play where McSoup held the ball 15 seconds and nailed us on a bomb.

When's the last time we had talented players on our line that werent named Dat Eillis and Glover

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Once again, the Cowboys will likely employ an even set on nickel packages, so our DL better be prepared to rush the passer. And I don't think Belichick has used all those high draft picks on Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Marquise Hill and Vince Wilfork just to control gaps.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
That was a global jab at our LB's on my part. They past 5 years have had little to no sacks historically.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
That was a global jab at our LB's on my part. They past 5 years have had little to no sacks historically.
Jab at other teams for a change.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
No - our LB's have not performed....... Parcells as much said no playmakers after season ended. He went out and drafted Ware and Burnett and stated he was looking for difference makers on defense. Cut Coakley and Al s being pushed by Shanle and crew.

Back to my jab, what are the sack totals for our LB's past 5 seasons? I'll have time later in week to post the facts there.