3 and out not an option

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Patriots scored 9 points.
The Bills hardly lit it up.

This team has defensive problems, but the biggest problems are on offense. Good defenses just destroy it.

The Cowboys are dead last in starting field position for their offense, dead last in interceptions by their defense, and dead last in net punting. None of those are offensive issues.

Expecting the offense to march 80 yards time and again is not realistic. Worse still, no team has missed more field goals than the Cowboys.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Ok we have had fun with this little experiment in trying to make Dak into Romo and Dak has proved what one man can do another can do . Great stats and less wins

Now if nobody minds its time to go back to what worked in the past and concentrate on moving the chains , Dink and dunking down the field while controlling the clock and PROTECTING our defense .

Dak has to take this team on his back and run the ball when necessary to pick up the firsts . We need long controlled drives ending in TDs Featuring our expensive running game that we were built for .

We cant leave this game in Garrets hands the officials hands or our idiot kicker . This game needs to work off the way this team was built and intended to function SMASH MOUTH RUNNING . Its time to abandon ROMO BALL and turn this thing around .

Just who do you think is in charge here? You seem to be under the false impression that we the fans have some say-so on this team. How do we not leave this in the hands of the HC, despite how you feel about the man? How do you prevent the refs from interjecting their perspective in the game? If the situation dictates we kick, how do you ignore that?

The smash-mouth running style is not the end-all-be-all answer to everything that is hurting this team at the moment. I give you credit for recognizing we need to be more balanced but just because we have been passing the ball more does not mean it is "Romo Ball".

Dak has his own passing game style and you shouldn't confuse it with Romo's style. I agree we should get back to a run-first offense with Zeke carrying more of the load but don't expect to have him around for the next half dozen years if we return to that plan of attack.

Dak should not take this team on his back, he has proven he is too careless when too much of the load is placed on him. He can be a good QB for us but he still needs to be coached and assisted by having weapons he can count on rather than relying on his legs so get him out of sticky situations.

nobody

Reaction score
It’s odd. I know it’s only on the internet, but when did people get so comfortable with hypocrisy? It used to trait people tried to improve or at least hide.

I got tired of calling people out on it because they have no shame about it...so it's either get annoyed by it or laugh at it... I choose to laugh at it now. It'll all work out in the end.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
This offense has to carry this god awful defense and special teams. When is the offense going to get even an ounce of help? This team has not forced a turnover in 4 games. Putrid.

To ask an offense to constantly move the chains every single drive in the NFL is absurd. I don't care how good you are and how bad the other team is. Every offense will stall. How about the defense chip in and stall out some offenses for us? Nope. They get gashed and embarrassed every single game.

This special team is worse than the Campo and Gailey days.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree this team is built to run first and should stick to it, but Dak is saddled with the same albatross as Romo - being expected to overcome the defense and special teams.

Bring in any QB you want. If the STs are dead last in multiple categories and the defense is dead last in interceptions, you're only going so far.
Agreed defense STs and coaching are alot for Dak to overcome . Zeke and the Oline need to give him some help dont like him having to throw so much .

Blackrain

Reaction score
Just who do you think is in charge here? You seem to be under the false impression that we the fans have some say-so on this team. How do we not leave this in the hands of the HC, despite how you feel about the man? How do you prevent the refs from interjecting their perspective in the game? If the situation dictates we kick, how do you ignore that?

The smash-mouth running style is not the end-all-be-all answer to everything that is hurting this team at the moment. I give you credit for recognizing we need to be more balanced but just because we have been passing the ball more does not mean it is "Romo Ball".

Dak has his own passing game style and you shouldn't confuse it with Romo's style. I agree we should get back to a run-first offense with Zeke carrying more of the load but don't expect to have him around for the next half dozen years if we return to that plan of attack.

Dak should not take this team on his back, he has proven he is too careless when too much of the load is placed on him. He can be a good QB for us but he still needs to be coached and assisted by having weapons he can count on rather than relying on his legs so get him out of sticky situations.

I believe unfortunately Jerry is in charge . I may be dead wrong but the better we run the ball the less Garrett has to be involved . If we are controlling the the clock with the run Garrett dosent have to try and manage it or call our kicker out to make impossible FGs that when missed give the opponents great field position . My idea and a lot of others on when we should kick a FG is very different than Garretts . First and foremost because we have a kicker who is not reliable at normal ranges but has made a few long kicks and instilled false hope . I feel running the ball avoids the holding penalties associated with long developing pass plays keeping the Refs from being a factor ,just my opinion

I believe power running , ball control and manageable down and distance = less mistakes and would like to get back to the balance we used to have . This pass heavy scheme is great to accumulate stats but not winning games .

As far as Zekes concerned I believe his commitment to conditioning will determine his longevity . He should talk to Adrian Peterson or Frank Gore and get on a conditioning program before his God given talent runs out .

Im all about Dak having some weapons he can count on these guys drop a lot of catchable balls that said a few called runs for him a game would help keep the defense honest and possibly give Zeke some daylight with Dak being a running threat also .
Thats my thoughts

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
This offense has to carry this god awful defense and special teams. When is the offense going to get even an ounce of help? This team has not forced a turnover in 4 games. Putrid.

To ask an offense to constantly move the chains every single drive in the NFL is absurd. I don't care how good you are and how bad the other team is. Every offense will stall. How about the defense chip in and stall out some offenses for us? Nope. They get gashed and embarrassed every single game.

This defense is weakest right up the middle. Bad 1 techs, Bad MLB, Bad Safeties. This team will continue to get gashed in the run game until those positions are addressed. It can be done in one offseason.

Will this team do it?

Depends on the next coach.

One thing for sure, the defensive system must be scrapped. It’s not suitable for today’s game and isn’t designed to stop anyone’s offense anymore.

The offense is fine and the players appear to be adaptable to a new scheme. Overall, the team looks like it could accommodate a new coaching staff without much a step back next year. I’m excited to see who Jerry brings in.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I believe unfortunately Jerry is in charge . I may be dead wrong but the better we run the ball the less Garrett has to be involved . If we are controlling the the clock with the run Garrett dosent have to try and manage it or call our kicker out to make impossible FGs that when missed give the opponents great field position . My idea and a lot of others on when we should kick a FG is very different than Garretts . First and foremost because we have a kicker who is not reliable at normal ranges but has made a few long kicks and instilled false hope . I feel running the ball avoids the holding penalties associated with long developing pass plays keeping the Refs from being a factor ,just my opinion

I believe power running , ball control and manageable down and distance = less mistakes and would like to get back to the balance we used to have . This pass heavy scheme is great to accumulate stats but not winning games .

As far as Zekes concerned I believe his commitment to conditioning will determine his longevity . He should talk to Adrian Peterson or Frank Gore and get on a conditioning program before his God given talent runs out .

Im all about Dak having some weapons he can count on these guys drop a lot of catchable balls that said a few called runs for him a game would help keep the defense honest and possibly give Zeke some daylight with Dak being a running threat also .
Thats my thoughts
You are just projecting your own total loss of faith in Garrett and the kicker onto the team which has not lost faith in either.

Zeke's conditioning will do nothing to protect him from wear and tear. If they rely on him the way you want to, his career will definitely be shortened.

Blackrain

Reaction score
This defense is weakest right up the middle. Bad 1 techs, Bad MLB, Bad Safeties. This team will continue to get gashed in the run game until those positions are addressed. It can be done in one offseason.

Will this team do it?

One thing for sure, the defensive system must be scrapped. It’s not suitable for today’s game and isn’t designed to stop anyone’s offense anymore.

The offense is fine and the players appear to be adaptable to a new scheme. Overall, the team looks like it could accommodate a new coaching staff without much a step back next year. I’m excited to see who Jerry brings in.

Sure seems like the Defense has been a problem for quite a long time . A new coach hopefully decides we need a run stopper .

Blackrain

Reaction score
You are just projecting your own total loss of faith in Garrett and the kicker onto the team which has not lost faith in either.

Zeke's conditioning will do nothing to protect him from wear and tear. If they rely on him the way you want to, his career will definitely be shortened.

Heck your probably right the team has total confidence in Garrett and the kicker , I can see it in there faces every time they drive down and he misses a kick.

Zeke should miss TC every year and just vacation in Cabo adds to his burst LOL

Its all good at least you didnt argue that Jerry wasnt in charge

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Will this team do it?

Exactly! We only value the edge positions like DEs and DBs. We think we can cheap out on DT and safety. And we wonder why we are gashed in the playoffs every single time. And never get any pressure.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Ghost of Romo will forever haunt some in this forum. So since you want to go there, yes, Romo couldn't win the Big game in the playoffs but at least he would put up big points against good defenses. Not just yards and field goals like Dakota does against good defenses in garbage time.

I agree that Dak should use his legs more, but Dak is his own player with his own skill set. He has nothing to do with Romo.

Are you speaking of this year, or his career? Because...

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys have the number 1 offense in the league and we are talking about it not working? I admit, they have had some problems running the football and the coaches have clearly lose confidence in the running game or something, but to me the problem is red zone offense. I saw a stat where the Cowboys are 7-18 in the redzone in their 6 losses and 2 for 6 in their last two games (both losses). You can dink and dunk all you want but if you get inside the 20 and can't punch the ball in somehow all you did is work the clock against yourself. This is also where we see the Cowboys make some bad playcalling mistakes. Remember the Jets game when they went for it on 4th down and lost 2 yards? Or the Vikings game where Dak was throwing it like a mad man and for some reason they switched to two running plays only to fail to get any points? In the Bills game, Dak threw that miserable pass at Zeke's feet on 4th down?

There are games when the offense will struggle. That's pretty normal. In those games the defense needs to step up and make plays to help out. So do special teams. Jimmy used to say their are 3 phases of every game, offense, defense and special teams, and you have to win 2 of them to have a chance to win the game. The Cowboys almost never win two of them, especially against good teams.

Situational football, is not their strong suit. Yards, gets awards. Points, wins games. This is strictly speaking from the offensive point of view. One would think leading in yardage, would yield more points.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Heck your probably right the team has total confidence in Garrett and the kicker , I can see it in there faces every time they drive down and he misses a kick.

Zeke should miss TC every year and just vacation in Cabo adds to his burst LOL

Its all good at least you didnt argue that Jerry wasnt in charge
Why would I argue that Jerry isn't in charge? He owns the team, he appointed himself GM, he made his children executive vice presidents of the franchise. There can be no doubt, Jerry Jones is in charge.

The team worked out three veteran kickers this week but declined to hire any of them as Maher's replacement. That is an official nod of confidence in Maher moving forward.

Jerry has made it clear he hasn't lost any confidence in Jason Garrett.

I appreciate your sarcasm about Zeke. It shows how frustrated you really are about his holdout in Cabo. On that, I agree with you.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Why would I argue that Jerry isn't in charge? He owns the team, he appointed himself GM, he made his children executive vice presidents of the franchise. There can be no doubt, Jerry Jones is in charge.

The team worked out three veteran kickers this week but declined to hire any of them as Maher's replacement. That is an official nod of confidence in Maher moving forward.

Jerry has made it clear he hasn't lost any confidence in Jason Garrett.

I appreciate your sarcasm about Zeke. It shows how frustrated you really are about his holdout in Cabo. On that, I agree with you.

You wouldnt argue that just kidding around I cant be totally serious all the time

Im not sure its a nod of confidence as much as all the other recycled kickers are just as inconsistent .

Im glad Jerry hasnt lost any confidence in Garrett I have not either as Jerry and I would actually have to have confidence in him at some point to be able to lose some .

Glad we agree on Zeke the boy has some great talent just wish he had a mentor to help him mature , learn how to take care of his body and be a pro

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kellen needs to stop trying to get Dak to carry this team. We had chances to score and win the last 2 games but Kellen stopped calling runs in the 2nd half. I get needing to move down the field quickly but inside the redzone especially inside the 10 you run the dang ball. Use all 4 downs to get the 1st or score.
Did Kellen stop calling runs, or did he give Dak the option?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Ok we have had fun with this little experiment in trying to make Dak into Romo and Dak has proved what one man can do another can do . Great stats and less wins

Now if nobody minds its time to go back to what worked in the past and concentrate on moving the chains , Dink and dunking down the field while controlling the clock and PROTECTING our defense .

Dak has to take this team on his back and run the ball when necessary to pick up the firsts . We need long controlled drives ending in TDs Featuring our expensive running game that we were built for .

We cant leave this game in Garrets hands the officials hands or our idiot kicker . This game needs to work off the way this team was built and intended to function SMASH MOUTH RUNNING . Its time to abandon ROMO BALL and turn this thing around .

We have the 2nd lowest 3 and out % in the NFL, despite very average running game.

WHEN WILL THE STUPID THREADS END?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did Kellen stop calling runs, or did he give Dak the option?

There are certain times in a game when you take away that option so Dak doesn't opt out. This is where Garrett needs to tell Kellen he can't wait till 4th down to run the ball in these situations.

Blackrain

Reaction score
In case anybody was wondering that 1st drive was exactly what I was talking about in the OP
Lean on the run game throw it when necessary run Dak to keep the defense off balance and dont settle for a FG put it in the endzone

Keep it up GO COWBOYS