News: 3 of 15 Cowboys with highest 2022 cap hits are free agent acquisitions

conner01

Reaction score
One of the concepts we hear and read about during draft season is “building through the draft”; how important it is, how it’s the key to success in the NFL, how dynasties are built off it, blah, bah, blah. But is ‘building through the draft’ still a relevant concept today, or is it more or less a relic from pre-free agency days? And what’s the alternative to building through the draft, “building through free agency”?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...est-2022-cap-hits-are-free-agent-acquisitions
I think you have to build thru the draft and supplement your roster with FA
You can have 20 Starter quality FA on your roster because of the cost
And you can’t always find quality picks at some positions
A quality DE is hard to draft unless you are drafting high as an example
Neither way can build a complete team so the combination of the two is the only viable way to build a team

Kingofholland

Reaction score
by a horrible trade

It's still hard to believe we couldn't atleast get a 3rd rounder for Cooper considering the other trades. But the ship has sailed.

Amari will be Amari in Cleveland. Early in the season he'll post a 150 yard game that will cause a meltdown here. Then he'll go on a 4 game stretch where he totals 150 yards and fans feel better about the situation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's still hard to believe we couldn't atleast get a 3rd rounder for Cooper considering the other trades. But the ship has sailed.

Amari will be Amari in Cleveland. Early in the season he'll post a 150 yard game that will cause a meltdown here. Then he'll go on a 4 game stretch where he totals 150 yards and fans feel better about the situation.

Reality is that he should have only given up a 2nd for cooper and then gotten a 3rd in return, he blew both sides of the trade.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you have to build thru the draft and supplement your roster with FA
You can have 20 Starter quality FA on your roster because of the cost
And you can’t always find quality picks at some positions
A quality DE is hard to draft unless you are drafting high as an example
Neither way can build a complete team so the combination of the two is the only viable way to build a team

It’s pathetic how bad Jerry is at his job.

conner01

Reaction score
It’s pathetic how bad Jerry is at his job.
I think last year he did the best job in FA he’s done in years and it’s early but last years draft appears to have been pretty solid
This year we done almost nothing in FA and it’s way to early to judge draft. But for this off season to be a successful one this class has to be a homerun
Only time will tell but it’s a really hard thing for any team to really hit a homerun in a draft. You can hit individual home runs like Micah but a whole class is really hard because you need a really good starter or two and a couple of solid starters to accomplish that
Mighty hard to do

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think last year he did the best job in FA he’s done in years and it’s early but last years draft appears to have been pretty solid
This year we done almost nothing in FA and it’s way to early to judge draft. But for this off season to be a successful one this class has to be a homerun
Only time will tell but it’s a really hard thing for any team to really hit a homerun in a draft. You can hit individual home runs like Micah but a whole class is really hard because you need a really good starter or two and a couple of solid starters to accomplish that
Mighty hard to do

Its all about need. What is it that we needed to do in FA?

I would argue a 1 Tech DT and a RT. But that is splitting hairs to be honest.

rambo2

Reaction score
Rambo, I appreciate your optimism, but we have to wait and see what we have with the Rookies.
They are very unpredicable and counting on them is not wise.
Well, you will certainly see them because they will be on the team. That is exactly what they are counting on. They plan on getting ahead of the league with youth under contract.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well, you will certainly see them because they will be on the team. That is exactly what they are counting on. They plan on getting ahead of the league with youth under contract.
Hope they earn their way and make it.
We shall see.

conner01

Reaction score
Its all about need. What is it that we needed to do in FA?

I would argue a 1 Tech DT and a RT. But that is splitting hairs to be honest.
I felt like and still do we need a swing tackle
But we have what we have and now the key is more guys from last draft step up and this draft being a special draft

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
One of the concepts we hear and read about during draft season is “building through the draft”; how important it is, how it’s the key to success in the NFL, how dynasties are built off it, blah, bah, blah. But is ‘building through the draft’ still a relevant concept today, or is it more or less a relic from pre-free agency days? And what’s the alternative to building through the draft, “building through free agency”?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...est-2022-cap-hits-are-free-agent-acquisitions
this is so misleading...look at the salaries for those FA....they are chump change these days for a FA signing. and randomly picking 15 as a number. why not look at the top 5 or 8 or 10.....that's where the top FAs would be, which we have none.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Teams that draft bad have to use free agency more than teams that draft good. You build a team by any means necessary, but every team would love to be a good drafting team. So every team would love to build through the draft.

Some teams sell their souls in free agency... Rams. Some teams sell their souls in the draft... Washington. Failure makes you look stupid. Success make you look smart. But at the end of the day every team would love to draft well.
Who have we drafted that is top 10 at their position right now? Z mart dak micah and t diggs. Certain positions on this team have such a lack of talent that need a top talent through free agency. D line especially the interior could really use a big time free agent. Again you can build through the draft but u cant expect to hit every pick and need to have better self scouting.

Again u cant have a full team of top 10 players but you cant have whole units of your team be bottom tier either

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a little misleading since only last year Amari Cooper would have been near the top of the list of our highest paid players. While not a free agent, he was an external player acquired by a trade.

The point is the same even with Amari. This organization builds through the draft, and its obviously not working.

silver

Reaction score
Maybe Cleveland will take Matt Waletsko straight up for Amari.

conner01

Reaction score
this is so misleading...look at the salaries for those FA....they are chump change these days for a FA signing. and randomly picking 15 as a number. why not look at the top 5 or 8 or 10.....that's where the top FAs would be, which we have none.
FA by definition are on second contracts so that’s a huge factor too
Kearse is the only player in top 10 and none in top 5

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So a 12-5 Dallas team is not a good team?

6 of those wins came before our bye and the only legit team we beat was Patriots before they went on their hot streak. You can be impressed that we beat the Eagles and Chargers, I'm not because we went on to lose against every playoff team (outside of the Eagles the second time) we faced after that and the Broncos.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6 of those wins came before our bye and the only legit team we beat was Patriots before they went on their hot streak. You can be impressed that we beat the Eagles and Chargers, I'm not because we went on to lose against every playoff team (outside of the Eagles the second time) we faced after that and the Broncos.

:facepalm:
Here we go with the crappy excuses of what teams we beat. Look at any team with a winning record and see how many crappy teams they beat also.

Last time I checked 12-5 is 12-5 and a winning team making the playoffs.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
:facepalm:
Here we go with the crappy excuses of what teams we beat. Look at any team with a winning record and see how many crappy teams they beat also.

Last time I checked 12-5 is 12-5 and a winning team making the playoffs.

Uh yes, it matters because stuff like this is why you end up one and one in the playoffs.