News: 3 of 15 Cowboys with highest 2022 cap hits are free agent acquisitions

birdwells1

Reaction score
so FA and trades are a different animal not the same

Player acquisitions outside of the draft is what other teams do. We don't do that for top end talent. The Rams do and have been to the Super Bowl twice in the last 4 years, we do it "the right way" and what have been our results?

rambo2

Reaction score
Player acquisitions outside of the draft is what other teams do. We don't do that for top end talent. The Rams do and have been to the Super Bowl twice in the last 4 years, we do it "the right way" and what have been our results?
Why not give the results a chance to happen. The Cowboys were 12 and 5 last year just like the Rams. The Cowboys look to be better than the Rams going forward. When Donald is done, the Rams will be pretty much done. The Rams were actually lucky to go to the Super Bowl after losing to the 49ers twice. The Rams were also lucky that they played the Bengals a 7 loss team in the Super Bowl.

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s actually amazing they did all that through the draft.

but like they say in the article…. Other teams are lapping the cowboys by using both.

I'm quite critical of Jerry's SOP, but I don't know if what we're doing now isn't better than an unhinged and unrestrained Jerry. Remember him? That actually hurt the team post 1995.

Flamma

Reaction score
I did not.

But the reality is that you can't build a champ team the way these two guys are doing it.

Definitely not a consistent contender. But a team can flash every once in awhile if they hit on two good drafts in a row. But it's not an SOP that goes for it all. Too conservative for that.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Why not give the results a chance to happen. The Cowboys were 12 and 5 last year just like the Rams. The Cowboys look to be better than the Rams going forward. When Donald is done, the Rams will be pretty much done. The Rams were actually lucky to go to the Super Bowl after losing to the 49ers twice. The Rams were also lucky that they played the Bengals a 7 loss team in the Super Bowl.
The Cowboys haven't been aggressive in free agency for over 10 years. When was the last time the Cowboys signed a day 1 free agent? Well that's how long they've been using this tactic and the results are there for everyone to see.

As for the Rams, you make your own luck. The last time the Cowboys won the superbowl we got the opportunity to miss playing the 49ers (who beat the Cowboys like a drum in the regular season matchup) due to them losing to the Packers who we beat handily.

You said when Donald is done the Rams will fall off, so you're not banking on the Joneses way to succeed, you're waiting on the Rams way to fail. That's sad and by that time he may have won another one.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Cowboys haven't been aggressive in free agency for over 10 years. When was the last time the Cowboys signed a day 1 free agent? Well that's how long they've been using this tactic and the results are there for everyone to see.

As for the Rams, you make your own luck. The last time the Cowboys won the superbowl we got the opportunity to miss playing the 49ers (who beat the Cowboys like a drum in the regular season matchup) due to them losing to the Packers who we beat handily.

You said when Donald is done the Rams will fall off, so you're not banking on the Joneses way to succeed, you're waiting on the Rams way to fail. That's sad and by that time he may have won another one.
The Rams will never ever win as many as the Cowboys. You can bank on that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

so the rams are the right way, other teams who have won the championship and did it another way? lol I get the frustration but last years winner is not the only way to do it as we have seen with other SB winning teams. KC won and did it there way, they were able to make to the SB without giving up every damn drat pick they had.

terra

Reaction score
Pretty stupid prediction when discussing the current SB champion; and comparing them to a team that has not sniffed a SB in a generation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One of the concepts we hear and read about during draft season is “building through the draft”; how important it is, how it’s the key to success in the NFL, how dynasties are built off it, blah, bah, blah. But is ‘building through the draft’ still a relevant concept today, or is it more or less a relic from pre-free agency days? And what’s the alternative to building through the draft, “building through free agency”?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...est-2022-cap-hits-are-free-agent-acquisitions

The key word in the title is *only*. They're actually selling the data short.

3 of 15, but 0 of 10.

Put those 3 together, it's 9.6 mil, which is exactly half of Zeke's 19.2.

We currently aren't spending on free agents. That looks like even less money than most years. Quinn. McCoy and Poe. That slot wr. The highest guy here is 3.7, and that's our veteran insurance starter money. We paid that for an Eagle who we cut before the season started.

birdwells1

Reaction score
so the rams are the right way, other teams who have won the championship and did it another way? lol I get the frustration but last years winner is not the only way to do it as we have seen with other SB winning teams. KC won and did it there way, they were able to make to the SB without giving up every damn drat pick they had.

If you look at the list of division winners, all had 6 or more free agents and most were in the top of their salary rankings. Not only do the Cowboys only have 3 the are 3 of the bottom 4 in salary. Why can't we do what the other 16 playoffs teams have done?

birdwells1

Reaction score
Since the Cowboys last made the NFCCG, the Rams have been to 4 super bowls winning 2. Stop living 30 years in the past, what have the Joneses done for you lately?

rambo2

Reaction score
Since the Cowboys last made the NFCCG, the Rams have been to 4 super bowls winning 2. Stop living 30 years in the past, what have the Joneses done for you lately?
What have the Rams done in their entire history? It is highly unlikely that the Rams will win this year, just like everybody else.

birdwells1

Reaction score
What have the Rams done in their entire history? It is highly unlikely that the Rams will win this year, just like everybody else.

They are THE DEFENDING NFL SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS and they have show that they will do whatever it takes to get the players they need to win it all. As a fan that all you can ask for.

Flamma

Reaction score

Has it been 10 years already? I started noticing this tactic in 2016. I didn't know how long they've been doing it before then. They're not aggressive in the draft either. Accepting whatever falls to them.

Good point on the 1995 season. Dallas was very fortunate to be in that Super Bowl. I think the 49ers beat us three straight times. We got our butts kicked at home that year. I was so happy when GB won that game. That's when I knew we were going back.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Has it been 10 years already? I started noticing this tactic in 2016. I didn't know how long they've been doing it before then. They're not aggressive in the draft either. Accepting whatever falls to them.

Good point on the 1995 season. Dallas was very fortunate to be in that Super Bowl. I think the 49ers beat us three straight times. We got our butts kicked at home that year. I was so happy when GB won that game. That's when I knew we were going back.

Same here!!!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm on board with the idea of not spending freely in free agency, but with only a few exceptions the Cowboys seem to only use free agency to fill out the depth on the roster. A few key acquisitions in free agency could make a big difference. I hate they didn't make more of an effort to get Bobby Wagner. Even at his age he is still a truly elite player, and the contract he signed with the Rams seemed very reasonable.

Of course the Rams may have had a big edge because they are more of a Super Bowl contender and Wagner is from California, but I believe Wagner said the Cowboys would have been a strong consideration but never really showed a serious interest.

Capboy Stephen Jones will be worst than his father. He will go cheap on FA all the time and because of it we will never sniff the Superbowl.