31 years ago today 2/25/1989

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I loved Landry and those great teams in the 1970's, and as great as Landry was (and he was a truly great one), it really was time for Landry to go. Jerry just bungled the handling of it.

JPM

Reaction score
It was part of the deal to buy the team. Whoever bought the Cowboys had to fire Landry.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
So Jerry when he bought the team should have kept Landry as HC and passed on Jimmy? I always supported Landry but media and fans had been hollering the years before the team was sold that Landry needed to be replaced. Dallas draft was poor and they were no longer winning. I can't say I felt that way about Landry but what I did say is if this new owner was willing to drop 140 mill of his own money to buy the team he sure as hell deserves to bring in the HC he wanted which was Jimmy.

Hiring Jimmy was the best football move Jerry has ever made. Firing him was the worst.

All the rest doesn’t really matter. So I agree the Landry firing was the correct move, as painful as that is for me to say.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has a habit of getting rid of Super Bowl winning coaches - Landry, Jimmy, Switzer, Parcells.

The second one is the biggest mistake Jerry ever made. He’s never recovered from it.

It’s just a matter of time before McCarthy joins the list.

It was time to move on from Landry, Jimmy wanted to leave and pushed the buttons to get fired, Barry, well he was losing the team, and tension between him and Troy, Parcells quit the team.

It wasn't Jerry, it was just the way is was. Though some will say it is still Jerry as the common denominator. :laugh:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hiring Jimmy was the best football move Jerry has ever made. Firing him was the worst.

All the rest doesn’t really matter. So I agree the Landry firing was the correct move, as painful as that is for me to say.

there is debate on Jimmy being fired. Jimmy said he was not fired and Jerry said he was. As for Landry there will never be a HC that I will respect more than Tom Landry, hell I grew up on Landry football but as I said when the new owner (Jerry) came in and announced Jimmy Johnson was the new HC I accepted that. Of course Jerry like everything else took heat over it, how dare you hire a college coach and comments like there are no William and Mary in the NFL. Jerry took big risk during that time, sinking all he had into the Cowboys. While I may not agree with everything Jerry has done or said I do respect him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Johnson still coach the cowboys if Landry isn’t fired?
That’s a great question .

There had been some rumors flying around and Tex had mentioned that the Cowboys might look to some top prospects like Jimmy Johnson when Tom was ready to hang it up.

The bigger issue is it’s tough to tell a legend when it’s time. I think Tom knew the end was near but wanted to leave the franchise in an upswing. He knew he had Aikman coming in with Irvin and Herschel a core to build on.

Jerry tried to buy the SD Chargers a few years before he bought the Cowboys. I bet some wish he did, but then we would not have the other 3 SB's

Anyway, Jerry claimed he said, if he ever bought an NFL team, he wanted Jimmy Johnson to be his HC.
Also when Bum Bright was trying g to sell the team, he wanted Tom Landry fired, but could not bring himself to do it, nor ask Tex Schramm to do it. Jerry was the first prospect to not just give Bum what he could agree to price wise, he also said he would bring in his own coaching staff.

The night before the announcement was made Jerry was announcing Jimmy as HC. A reporter just so happens to be in the same restaurant as Jimmy and Jerry.
Put it together, and broke the story the next day. BEFORE anyone could have a chance to talk to Tom.

And there is an article out there about it somewhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry tried to buy the SD Chargers a few years before he bought the Cowboys. I bet some wish he did, but then we would not have the other 3 SB's

Anyway, Jerry claimed he said, if he ever bought an NFL team, he wanted Jimmy Johnson to be his HC.
Also when Bum Bright was trying g to sell the team, he wanted Tom Landry fired, but could not bring himself to do it, nor ask Tex Schramm to do it. Jerry was the first prospect to not just give Bum what he could agree to price wise, he also said he would bring in his own coaching staff.

The night before the announcement was made Jerry was announcing Jimmy as HC. A reporter just so happens to be in the same restaurant as Jimmy and Jerry.
Put it together, and broke the story the next day. BEFORE anyone could have a chance to talk to Tom.

And there is an article out there about it somewhere.
Jerry attempt to buy the Chargers was more than a few years before. It was 2 decades before .

Bum was frustrated he couldn’t fire Tom which was part of the agreement he signed when purchasing the Cowboys. Yes, he knew Jerry was bringing in his own HC which motivated the sale.

And we don’t know if we would have had more or less success than we had with Jerry this era. It’s entirely possible while we might not have won 3 SB’s in 4 year span we could have had more the last 30 years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry attempt to buy the Chargers was more than a few years before. It was 2 decades before .

Bum was frustrated he couldn’t fire Tom which was part of the agreement he signed when purchasing the Cowboys. Yes, he knew Jerry was bringing in his own HC which motivated the sale.

And we don’t know if we would have had more or less success than we had with Jerry this era. It’s entirely possible while we might not have won 3 SB’s in 4 year span we could have had more the last 30 years.

I did not realize it was 2 decades ago when he tried to buy them, the articles I read said mid 80's, or eluded to that time frame. But then again, they probably didn't do the research. Thanks for the correction.
Did not know that was part of the contract when Bright bought the team. I know it was, that he did not fire him, but thought it was more to honor the contract to let it run out. Then it was up to him to retain him or not. And believe he had a few years left on it when Jerry bought the team. As I remember anyway.

I have the Dallas Cowboys Weekly from when he bought the team, Jerry that is, and subsequent articles. It may cover all that, not sure. But I am not digging through the back of my closet just to see. :omg:

I have 12 years worth of DCW and other papers, including an unopened copy of DMN and FWST after they won SB 27. Packed away in a rubbermaid container.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So Jerry when he bought the team should have kept Landry as HC and passed on Jimmy? I always supported Landry but media and fans had been hollering the years before the team was sold that Landry needed to be replaced. Dallas draft was poor and they were no longer winning. I can't say I felt that way about Landry but what I did say is if this new owner was willing to drop 140 mill of his own money to buy the team he sure as hell deserves to bring in the HC he wanted which was Jimmy.
true and people forget the TEAM itself was nearing bankruptcy, they were in trouble financially losing money , losing on the field, and I remember how embarrassing was it that grocery stores were GIVING AWAY TICKETS with a $50 purchase of grocerys..it was getting bad. tarnishing the Star.. Blame the old ownership they sold the team didnt they? Jerry was told he was crazy, overpaid and would never be successful..right

so fans want to remember jerry doing what he felt was right, then winning #sbs in his first 7 years VS 2 SBs in 30years for the old regime..now the team is beyond making money, ist the richest sports franchise in the world...
I know we are in a drought Jerrys evil...lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I did not realize it was 2 decades ago when he tried to buy them, the articles I read said mid 80's, or eluded to that time frame. But then again, they probably didn't do the research. Thanks for the correction.
Did not know that was part of the contract when Bright bought the team. I know it was, that he did not fire him, but thought it was more to honor the contract to let it run out. Then it was up to him to retain him or not. And believe he had a few years left on it when Jerry bought the team. As I remember anyway.

I have the Dallas Cowboys Weekly from when he bought the team, Jerry that is, and subsequent articles. It may cover all that, not sure. But I am not digging through the back of my closet just to see. :omg:

I have 12 years worth of DCW and other papers, including an unopened copy of DMN and FWST after they won SB 27. Packed away in a rubbermaid container.
I’ll post some links for you ahead. It’s not letting me here so scroll on down.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I was 24 years old. Man, that hurt. In almost every Cowboys game, an announcer would say, "Tom Landry is the only coach the Cowboys have ever had." It was bye bye to that era. At the time, I had no confidence in the new regime. I was sure we would go decades in the basement. It was a huge surprise how well the new coach did. I actually do think letting Landry go was the right move, but the way they did it was disgusting. God rest Tom Landry's soul. He was a great coach and a terrific human being.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Clint Murchison Jr had clauses that condition of the sale included retaining Tex and Tom.

In 1987 there were numerous reports I found in the Dallas paper (we aren’t allowed to copy )that Bum was attempting to convince Tex in firing or replacing Tom. But Tex was resisting the request.

Tex was sentimental towards Tom and claimed he didn’t have a replacement. I believe part of the agreement with Murchison is Tex had the ultimate control or final word in all football decisions.

Last edited:

mrmojo

Reaction score
Great coach, loved him, lived through that great 70s era, his innovations and teams were exciting, but by 1989 It was time for Landry to step down. If he had stayed I highly doubt we would have gotten to one SB. He was a great coach but he had the same problem Jones had later on , he could not let go of aging players, and the draft wasn't hitting like it used to, although Irvin and Aikman was a start. But a overhaul was needed and the result was the 3 SBs.

Jones was looking to purchase the Chargers while they were still in the AFL....whether it was a serious bid or not IDK, but his Daddy wouldn't front him the money is what I read.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
there is debate on Jimmy being fired. Jimmy said he was not fired and Jerry said he was. As for Landry there will never be a HC that I will respect more than Tom Landry, hell I grew up on Landry football but as I said when the new owner (Jerry) came in and announced Jimmy Johnson was the new HC I accepted that. Of course Jerry like everything else took heat over it, how dare you hire a college coach and comments like there are no William and Mary in the NFL. Jerry took big risk during that time, sinking all he had into the Cowboys. While I may not agree with everything Jerry has done or said I do respect him.

Jerry started out great. Maybe better than any owner/GM in the history of sports. But he’s been mediocre at best the last 25 years. He deserves credit as well as blame for what he’s accomplished and failed to do.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I for one am glad Tom was fired because it ushered in the only supremely bright spot of my life as a cowboy fan.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jerry started out great. Maybe better than any owner/GM in the history of sports. But he’s been mediocre at best the last 25 years. He deserves credit as well as blame for what he’s accomplished and failed to do.

I agree. I have never removed blame on Jerry. Now things he has done that I agreed with and even many here may have agreed with in terms of moves made by the team that in the end did not result in a positive way I will not begrudge him. However on things that I have disagreed with I have spoken out on them.

Lastly I will not play the game of anything positive that has happened is because of someone else but all negatives are Jerry. That is BS he is final say so good and bad fall on Jerry

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I was only 8 when that happened so I also don't remember the Landry years. In fact, 1989 was the first year I have memories of watching the Cowboys. I have been watching a lot of 60s & 70s games on YouTube though. Those teams were a lot of fun with a lot of likeable players.