35th Anniversary of the Cowboys Purchase by Jerry Jones

Motorola

Reaction score
February 25, 1989 : the price to acquire the franchise___$140 million

February 25, 2024: the value of the franchise today___$9.2 billion
That equates to a 6.,471% increase over those three and a half decades.

And the value continues to rise significantly every year (per Forbes)
2021.___$6.5 billion
2022____$8.0 billion
2023____$9.2 billion

HanD

Reaction score
Without Jerry does Jimmy ever come and do we ever get the 3 sbs? Since then has been bad but those years were epic and unbeatable for me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Without Jerry does Jimmy ever come and do we ever get the 3 sbs? Since then has been bad but those years were epic and unbeatable for me.
IDK.. being what we know know I might be willing to chance it with a more normal and respectable situation.

I think it’s entirely possible we could have won Championships with other ownership like Dr Jerry Buss of the Lakers who had the highest bid back in 1989.

And as far as Jimmy. His name had been mentioned by Tex before who could have handled Tom bowing out at some point.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Also the 35th anniversary of his first (and by far his best) decision, the one from which all his success since has flowed: hiring Jimmy Johnson.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Blessing or curse?

Is there really any question what the correct answer is?
Definitely a double edged sword. A marriage gone bad.

We appreciate the honeymoon but irreconcilable differences prevailed once we realized the type of man he was.

The fact he won’t walk away, step down , retire or leave has become a curse of sorts.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Blessing or curse?

Is there really any question what the correct answer is?
Yes there is, you have no idea what would have happened under a different owner. Maybe zero SBs instead of three....maybe 6....no way of knowing.....anyone one that says different is shooting darts in the dark.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Definitely a double edged sword. A marriage gone bad.

We appreciate the honeymoon but irreconcilable differences prevailed once we realized the type of man he was.

The fact he won’t walk away, step down , retire or leave has become a curse of sorts.
The biggest problem I have with the guy is his failure to understand what his need to be a celebrity does to the overall culture, and is what makes the staff’s difficult task a near impossible one.

I don’t need Jerry to quit, just at least create the illusion that the head coach is THEE guy, but his ego won’t allow it.

Many coaches don’t want to work under the current set up, for good reason, and why we always end up stuck with retreads or zero experience coaches….and also becomes why we are routinely beaten against better teams, despite having some outstanding players here over the years, albeit a bit top heavy.

The problem isn’t personnel. How many times have we watched games in the last 20 years and it’s clear as day that Dallas was out coached by a long shot? How maybe time for the opposite?

Jerry’s ego = sub par coaching = losses when it counts most.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The value of the Cowboys as a franchise shows 2 things
1. Jerry Jones is a terrific owner
2. Jerry Jones is an abysmal GM

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The value of the Cowboys as a franchise shows 2 things
1. Jerry Jones is a terrific owner
2. Jerry Jones is an abysmal GM
If your most important job in football operations as owner is to hire a competent GM then he’s failed as owner.

if your marriage fails because your a lousy husband and or father then nobody’s cares if your a good provider. The marriage is still a failure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with the guy is his failure to understand what his need to be a celebrity does to the overall culture, and is what makes the staff’s difficult task a near impossible one.

I don’t need Jerry to quit, just at least create the illusion that the head coach is THEE guy, but his ego won’t allow it.

Many coaches don’t want to work under the current set up, for good reason, and why we always end up stuck with retreads or zero experience coaches….and also becomes why we are routinely beaten against better teams, despite having some outstanding players here over the years, albeit a bit top heavy.

The problem isn’t personnel. How many times have we watched games in the last 20 years and it’s clear as day that Dallas was out coached by a long shot? How maybe time for the opposite?

Jerry’s ego = sub par coaching = losses when it counts most.
I’d agree. But there has also been some holes or weaknesses in talent. But no doubt with greater coaching , front office and overall culture the talent we did have could have possibly done more.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No Jimmy without Jerry.

Also "possibly" no Dallas Cowboys without Jerry.
They were losing millions and in big trouble when he took them over.

Having said that, I've always had an issue with him not hiring a GM after the Jimmy break-up.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm having trouble getting Google to cooperate. Was Dallas already the most valuable franchise when Jerry bought them or where did they rank?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
About as easy an investment as can be made. As I’ve said here before, if I owned the team I would’ve never sold it. Most of that “extra value” the franchise has is due to the fans and its past winning tradition. Otherwise it’s just a reflection of public consumption of the entire product, which ironically is also due to the fans.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it’s entirely possible we could have won Championships with other ownership like Dr Jerry Buss of the Lakers who had the highest bid back in 1989.
Did Jerry Buss not agree to fire Tom Landry or something? Because I believe Jerry said he would and son of a gun with a lower bid Jerry got to own the Dallas Cowboys.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, i think Jerry has done a very good job marketing the Cowboys. But if you look around the league, ANY owner who had a team pre1990s...has seen their investment value increase into the stratosphere because of the way the league has exploded in popularity and therefore a lot of TV money. Jerry just had the luck to already have a diamond in the rough with America's Team....even though they were in a down period, they were still America's Team which he had nothing to do with. Thank to Tex, Tom and Clint.

But as GM/owner, we all know these past 28 of the 35 years have been a failure on the football field and for the fans of the Cowboys... The Glory days have turned into Gory days. Thank you Jerry.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Good try, but Jerry doesn't get a pass for something that happened over 30 years ago. And without Jimmy Dallas is still sitting on 5 super bowls with 2 wins. Jerry was smart enough to just sign checks back then

HanD

Reaction score
Good try, but Jerry doesn't get a pass for something that happened over 30 years ago. And without Jimmy Dallas is still sitting on 5 super bowls with 2 wins. Jerry was smart enough to just sign checks back then
Please stop. I'm not trying anything. I'm weighing if Jerry being owner and Dallas winning 3 SBs in that time is worth the last 30 years of frustration.