35th Anniversary of the Cowboys Purchase by Jerry Jones

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Blessing or curse?

Is there really any question what the correct answer is?
We won 3 SB’s in 4 years becoming the team
of the 90s. Many have the 92 Cowboys team as one of the top 10 greatest teams. Are you saying you wish Jerry never bought the team? It hasn’t been great the past 28 years but I wouldn’t trade those 3 championships in for anything. Things could’ve gone a lot worse had someone else bought the team. Jimmy certainly would have never been the head coach.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'll take the three SB victories and relevancy than nothing at all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We won 3 SB’s in 4 years becoming the team
of the 90s. Many have the 92 Cowboys team as one of the top 10 greatest teams. Are you saying you wish Jerry never bought the team? It hasn’t been great the past 28 years but I wouldn’t trade those 3 championships in for anything. Things could’ve gone a lot worse had someone else bought the team. Jimmy certainly would have never been the head coach.
Actually Jimmy's name had been swirling around as Tex had mentioned him. I wouldn’t say “ never” as that couldn’t be proven.

And if not for Bum Brights savings and loan bankruptcies and hard on for Landry( which under the terms of his purchase ) which he wasn’t able to fire him incentivizes accepting the lower cash bid from Jethro.

While we might not have had such immediate success it’s much more likely we could have still had success and more likely sustained success in a more normally ran football franchise moving forward.

Dr Buss had much success with the Lakers and there’s no reason not to believe the Cowboys could have won championships not to mention having a more sustained and respectable franchise which the iconic brand was built on the previous 3 decades.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'll take the three SB victories and relevancy than nothing at all.
The thing is we don’t know that it would have been nothing at all.

Dr Buss had won several championships at the Lakers. There’s no reason to believe we couldn’t have won some championships while having more sustained success.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Jerry is deserving of being a great owner. He is already in the Hall of Fame for that. However he is tainted for being an inconsistent and flawed GM. Due to his lack of objectivity and likely a lot of other business distractions he should never have assumed the GM position. The lack of more positive post season results speaks for itself.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is deserving of being a great owner. He is already in the Hall of Fame for that. However he is tainted for being an inconsistent and flawed GM. Due to his lack of objectivity and likely a lot of other business distractions he should never have assumed the GM position. The lack of more positive post season results speaks for itself.
Bold> However, he thinks the Hall induced him as a contributor moreso as a GM than as an owner.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
While the Joneses celebrated it was like a funeral in Tex Schramm's office. He stayed on through the draft but departed shortly after.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bum Bright couldn’t fire Landry with the agreement he made when he purchased the Cowboys. And he had a hard-on for Tom.

Bum was attracted by Jethro cause he was going to bring Jimmy in which meant Tom was out. And the fact Jethro was buying with cash which meant a quick transaction.

Bum was facing bankruptcy with the Savings and Loans fall-out and Dr Buss would have to sell out his majority stake in Lakers which would have taken more time.

There was never any talk about how Buss would have made a move with Tom. Tex had been facing some pressure from Bum but was bound to the agreement made and it was Tex’s call.

Tex had been exploring a way for Landry to retire at some point. Jimmy's name had come up with Tex. Dan Reeves and Ditka were other names thrown around.

Tom was determined for the Cowboys to return to some level of prominence before he bowed out . They were going to draft Troy. The Cowboys decline was directly related to not having a QB after Danny went down .

They were 6-2 in 1986 and finished 7-9 after season ending and basically career ending injury. Cowboys never recovered in 1986 or following seasons in 1987 and 1988 with the likes of Pueller and Hogeboom.

And with Troy, Herschel and Irvin would provide him a core to build around. I don’t think Tex& Tom would have traded Herschel and it’s probable they wouldn't have had such a quick turn around as Jimmy did winning multiple championships . But I think it’s likely they could have returned to the respectability Tom was seeking before retiring.

And while we might not have won back to back or 3 out of 4 it’s definitely more likely with a normal ownership and structure we would have been in better position for more success moving forward.
Thank You for enlightening us with that slice of history. I wasn't well versed in the particulars as a whole of the transition from Bum to Jerry. Just knew it was contingent on who would fire Tom as a condition of the sale? Am I correct in that? I didn't realize Tom was protected by contract from being fired while Bum owned the team via the previous owner. I knew bad blood had for some reason gotten the best of those two along the way. Can't remember what now. I think Tom was on track to bring the team back too as I saw a documentary that said as much with Tom telling about what his thinking for the team was back then. It was a workable plan too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thank You for enlightening us with that slice of history. I wasn't well versed in the particulars as a whole of the transition from Bum to Jerry. Just knew it was contingent on who would fire Tom as a condition of the sale? Am I correct in that? I didn't realize Tom was protected by contract from being fired while Bum owned the team via the previous owner. I knew bad blood had for some reason gotten the best of those two along the way. Can't remember what now. I think Tom was on track to bring the team back too as I saw a documentary that said as much with Tom telling about what his thinking for the team was back then. It was a workable plan too.
No, Bum didn’t have a contingency in writing to fire Tom. He just favored Jethro cause knew his intentions were firing Landry. And the fact it would be a quick deal. It was a win win deal for Bum.

And yes, when Murchison sold to Bum he stipulated in writing that only Tex could fire Landry. And Bum never liked the stipulation.