38 million a year, what can that buy?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
It can buy a bunch of losing seasons and a lot of top 5-10 draft picks that you have to pray will pan out & will buy wasting careers of some amazing talent (ex: Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, Zeke Elliott, TFred, etc..)

Dak Prescott isn’t going anywhere, he’s either signing a massive contract or getting tagged. The threads need to stop.
Ultron, I'm Jarvis, I morph into something that ultimatley distroys you. Be careful :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
1. We don't know that $40 MM is even a possible number.

2. Regardless of what the number is, not giving that contract to Dak wouldn't save the team that amount because they would have to sign someone else to play QB, and the savings would only be the difference between what they would have had to pay Dak and what they had to pay someone else.

3. If the team ends up with Cooper Rush or some career backup at QB, that would easily offset any gains at other positions.

What if they end up with say Tom Brady at like 27 to 30 mil a year? What if they draft a young QB at 17 or lower and have him for maybe another million or two? How much would that help to sign a Cooper or Byron or whomever else?

What if they just flat cut Rush and move on? That would be savings as well right? I mean, there are pros and cons to each position.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
For the Cowboys, probably no one. We would be considered overspending in the free agent market and most are opposed to doing that. We need to win the salary cap championship and be happy with that.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Obviously someone other than Rush would be starting. Rookie from early round QB that didn't pan out, aging vet, etc. It's a valid question, but teams with no QB often don't go far.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
All I can quote is from the Facebook fan page...

Dallas Cowboys Fan Page.
17 hrs ·

#BreakingNews: Dak Prescott and Agent Todd France have issued a counter-offer. The latest demand from Dak Prescott is a four year deal, worth $160 million dollars, with unknown guarantees. Prescott's demands are still holding steady around $40 million per year.

He really wants a contract which states "unkown guarantees" ?

Great! I would take that if i were Dallas. And give him the surprise he deserves after he signed it.

Proof

Reaction score
Gotcha, so maybe 1 S and 1 DT.

Then the next question would be is that enough to make up the difference between Dak and Rush?

no.

And the real issue is believing Stephen would actually spend the savings.

Adreme

Reaction score
Ouch! No wonder that poll has favored not signing Dak for that kind of contract. Sigh... it's a tough call, but Jones and company should definitely be doing their due diligence in looking at what is being offered out there for him and planning to franchise him regardless if they can't find a middle ground.

I would assume the logic being used by them is, if I do nothing then you franchise me for 33m then 39m then sign a 43m dollar contract at least so if that is the case (and the new CBA has the cap exploding), why would he settle for a deal that pays on average less than he would get in 2 years just doing nothing and to get him longer why would he not want the money he knows he will get anyway.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
You really wanna roll the dice with Rush? Dak isn't elite but he wins games. Can Rush?

Who hinders you to draft a new QB ?

It seems just because our FO doesnt value QBs in the draft fans think doing so is no option at all.

Bigdog

Reaction score
if he is asking 40 million a year, i say franchise him and move up in the draft to get Tua or Herbert. The best man wins the starting job unless some team is foolish enough to trade for Dak and give us 2 1sts. No one will do that but it only take one. If Dak is on the team but doesn't win the starting position than he screwed himself. Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So with Dak's new request of 40 million per year vs 2 million a year for Rush, what can that buy in FA?

2 top tier DT's and a safety?

1 top tier DT, safety and TE?

Basically 3 top tier players (~12.5 million per player).

What would your formula be?

You are way off, he is asking for 50 million per year. LOL

Either show the proof he wants 40 million or shut up. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
if he is asking 40 million a year, i say franchise him and move up in the draft to get Tua or Herbert. The best man wins the starting job unless some team is foolish enough to trade for Dak and give us 2 1sts. No one will do that but it only take one. If Dak is on the team but doesn't win the starting position than he screwed himself. Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side.

HE isn't. This is just another pathetic troll spreading a false rumor to try and much up the FanZone.

Cant believe this stuff is allowed to remain on the board.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Obviously someone other than Rush would be starting. Rookie from early round QB that didn't pan out, aging vet, etc. It's a valid question, but teams with no QB often don't go far.

Even that has some upside. I mean, if you suck outloud for a year, you end up in a prime spot to draft really high. That might end up being how you land your Franchise guy. Nobody wants to be in that position, obviously, but it's the path a lot of teams take.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just wanted to get an opinion of what 38 million a year could buy? All of the Dak stuff is speculation anyhow.

So OmerV, what would you like to buy in FA with that much money?
A high quality DT that can stuff the run and collapse the pocket would be high on my list.